closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

'Gorgeous' is a word a man should never utter. It's what women use on social media when someone posts a picture of their snotty child that looks like it's been dragged through a hedge backwards.

Wait, no, maybe I've been wrong all these years, maybe when someone calls a Patek or AP gorgeous that's what they actually mean!
    "A man of little significance"

I don't like those cotton loops which always appear in a 'vintage' style leather watch strap.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I don't like those cotton loops which always appear in a 'vintage' style leather watch strap.
    Ha, me too! I also find most people's opinions of what makes a perfect watch/strap combo in the thread of that name(ish) laughable.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Same here!! I like a single line of contrasting stitching in the centre running parallel with the spring bar but those loops on the end look rubbish IMO. I also dislike that many custom leather straps are stupidly thick with a huge Panerai buckle.

Personally I dislike NATOs as they push the watch to high up - "buy a thinner watch" you might cry - but then it feels unbalanced and like a toadstool. But I like the single piece nature of them, so I DO like an RAF style NATO, or a decent Perlon which is my fave.

I also dislike that so many straps have the holes in the wrong place for me, either giving me arm ache or a loose watch (another reason why I love Perlon!)

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    I also dislike that so many straps have the holes in the wrong place for me, either giving me arm ache or a loose watch (another reason why I love Perlon!)
    I have this issue too. I’ve found that changing the buckle makes a difference.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like Jacob & Co watches.
    They've come a long way from the five time zone.

I've never seen a Breitling that I would want to own.
    Dates are an unnecessary complication.

I don't rate Rolex for quality. All the Rolex I've handled have felt cheap in comparison to Omega, GS, Longines, Sinn...especially the bracelets. Hollow links? Press-embossed clasps?

Apprentice
    The original yellow Timex Snoopy watch with a tennis racket for a minute hand and rotating tennis ball is a classic. . .

Master
    Rolex Sports are over-priced and I've started to lean towards other brands like IWC, Omega etc.to feed the beast, but Omega are also over-priced albeit it easier to get hold of. The Tudor Pelagos is better looking/value than a Sea Dweller.

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Rolex Sports are over-priced and I've started to lean towards other brands like IWC, Omega etc.to feed the beast, but Omega are also over-priced albeit it easier to get hold of. The Tudor Pelagos is better looking/value than a Sea Dweller.
    While I agree that Omega feel better in quality to me than almost any Rolex, they've gone from being a brand that starts with a 1 to one that starts with a 3 almost overnight - and have started just making boxes bigger and supplying extra straps to make up for it. I really, really like the current X-33, but there's no way it's worth £3995. At £1995 I'd probably have one already. At £1495 definitely.

Craftsman
    Big watches are daft, big watches watches with small movements, large movement spacers and dates too close to the centre are even dafter.

Even a 40mm dia with an eta 28xx still has too much fresh air in the case!!!

38mm rocks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    I've never seen a Breitling that I would want to own.
    Dates are an unnecessary complication.
    You must be hating this one then!!!!

Transocean.jpg by Adam Stringer, on Flickr

The PP 5711 is an insanely ugly watch that looks like a relic from the 70s. It's not even that well made and doesn't hack.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The PP 5711 is an insanely ugly watch that looks like a relic from the 70s. It's not even that well made and doesn't hack.

WT actual F? Doesn't hack? That is quite poor.

Master
    spend £300-£500 on a watch and its fantastic value/quality. Spend more and your value/quality ration decreases rapidly. .....Why do I beleive this but still want to spend more?!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    1- I see no particular reason why a Swiss factory would automatically be better than the same factory in China, for instance when making a bracelet. They seem to able to make iPhones pretty well. It just depends on the factory in question.
    2 - While I like GS as a brand I would only actually pay real money for the quartz. All their autos are too thick and they should start over on their divers and chronos (this last point may not be all that contentious!)
    3 - The 16570 was the last reasonably appealing Rolex with the exception of the 36mm DJs and OPs, and even they used to look better. The black and white Oyster Perpetual 39s and possibly Explorer would be their best current watches but are very slightly too big.
    4 - The Cellinis actually look quite nice! (Though that wouldn't extend to buying one, there's still something odd about seeing their logo on them)
    5 - Vacheron Constantin have yet to make a perfect Overseas
    6 - Omega have yet to make a perfect Aqua Terra
    7 - I will never get over the fact that Tudor is called Tudor, no matter what they make
    8 - Gerald Genta made some minging watches in his later years
    9 - I have never wanted a Sub (though I'll admit battered old ghost bezel maxi dial ones are cool).
    Their car batteries ar ok

BUBI 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I cringe when I read when someone congratualtes someone else for buying a new watch and says "wear it in good health."

Where did this originate from, you don't say the same for buying a pair of shoes, a shirt or a hat etc. It just seems a bit contrived.
    Congratulations on achieving a goal, no matter what it is, is rarely misplaced.

Following it up with a wish for good health is pleasant and, to me, a subtle reminder that the ability to buy a nice watch isn’t everything.

Wishing someone a healthy body and a lovely watch is probably the nicest thing you can say on a watch forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Agree. It looks like a crappy knock off of the Royal Oak which is what I suppose it is.....

Master
    Talking of 70s throwbacks, I feel the ap royal Oak hasn't stood the test of time on its design. To me it's not a good look. I suspect that may be an unpopular opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Talking of 70s throwbacks, I feel the ap royal Oak hasn't stood the test of time on its design. To me it's not a good look. I suspect that may be an unpopular opinion.
    I’d sum the design up, as: “shonky”

Master
    not shonky...or at least not built shonky...its finished well enough....ts design though is semi industrial and semi 'what they thought was space age in the early 70s'. neither suit a hih end piece of jewellery.

Master
    The handset on a Rolex Sports model particularly on a Sub. The hour hand is to short, the Mercedes looks old fashioned. The minute hand to long and appears weak. Much prefer plongeur / sword hands or Baton hands.

Master
    I prefer arrow or Snowflake, agree the Mercedes looks old.

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

I also agree that it looks old, but that’s why I like it!

Master
    Date windows at ‘four o clock’.....never looks good. Tends to seem like the designer forgot the date until the last minute.

Pateks are such ugly watches,I don’t even like the nautilus

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I've never been a big fan of Breitlings and to a lesser extent the new Tag Heuers. They're just too busy for my liking and I've probably seen far too "replicas" on my travels!

Probably mentioned already, but I don't like the mercedes hour hand on most divers. It makes the watch look childish and like a toy.

Tag Monaco,really like the look but when I tried one on ,it was a no no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Unless you actually dive (or do other activity in the dark... Which most of us don't) there's little point getting super excited about lume. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I like Jacob & Co watches.
    They've come a long way from the five time zone.
    Ur jus' weerd...

Watch related but agggh I want to tear what little I have of my hair out of my head when people talk about Erikas Original Bad Arses French divers army soldier straps ( Erikas suspender belt strap doesn’t have the same market I guess)
    Ohh they are so comfortable, so comfy wtf I thought you where after some badge to say your bad arse not looking for grandmas slippers

I find almost every AP ROO and Hublot BB hideous, and think they look like they belong in The Lego Movie.

On second thought, I’m not even sure if this is an unpopular opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Unless you actually dive (or do other activity in the dark... Which most of us don't) there's little point getting super excited about lume. I don't get it.
    Lume serves no real purpose in diving IMO. If you are in dark conditions you carry a torch and backup light...if you are in light conditions you can see the watch face. I've never needed a lumed watchface on a dive.

Two tone watches are like wearing a black suit with brown shoes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Lume serves no real purpose in diving IMO. If you are in dark conditions you carry a torch and backup light...if you are in light conditions you can see the watch face. I've never needed a lumed watchface on a dive.
    'll strike diving from my list of exceptions then

Daytona is ugly and its screw down pushers renders it almost useless as a chronograph.

Craftsman
    The best Speedmaster is automatic and white dialled.

Now that I think about it, the best anything is auto and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Daytona is ugly and its screw down pushers renders it almost useless as a chronograph.

Hear hear.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Tag Monaco,really like the look but when I tried one on ,it was a no no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Seconded, I thaught I was the only one who didn’t like the Monaco

Craftsman
    Not seen many ap watches I’m keen on.. yet

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    I was just about to post that Daytonas look terrible and I don't get the hype

I don't like the Daytona but I do like a lot of Fossil watches

Also don't like what might be the most ubiquitous watch on earth - the Rolex DateJust

Skeletonised dials make a watch look cheap and cheesy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Two tone watches are like wearing a black suit with brown shoes.
    TT Watches say "I really wanted the gold one, but can't afford it".

Also, people who obsess about resale value can't afford the watches that they buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I don't rate Rolex for quality. All the Rolex I've handled have felt cheap in comparison to Omega, GS, Longines, Sinn...especially the bracelets. Hollow links? Press-embossed clasps?
    Vintage Rolex only, right? Coz the modern ones are solid as F.

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I thought the same with the older models , very tinny bracelets . The newer ones are totally different.

Journeyman
    Having any kind of celebrity brand ambassador actually makes the watch/brand unappealing

I know why brands do it, but I wish they wouldn't or didn't feel like they had to

If you're selling your product based on the fact its a beautifully handcrafted piece of engineering made by experts working at the highest level of their profession, then sticking it on David Beckhams/The Rocks/Bradley Cooper's wrist just cheapens it. If a grown man shows me their watch and tells me its the watch that so and so wears I feel a bit bad for them (with the exception of old James Bond watches)

Might just be me

Rolex don't currently make a model that I want to own, or even wear.
    Watches are not investments. People that think otherwise are fools.
    Prince Harry and Ed Sheeran are the same person.
    Not every collection needs a Speedy Moonwatch. I find 'em a bit dull actually.
    A Rolex Sub is only a birth year watch if you were born in 1953. Similarly a Santos 1904, Reverso 1931 etc.