closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post
    Most micro brands are homage brands
    Il get my coat

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Probably fact rather than opinion.

Master
    Seamaster's are much, much better than Speedmasters

Maybe not an opinion but a potentially silly thing nonetheless- I realised last week that my 16800 matte dial is pretty much a straight swap to a similar condition president in yellow gold. And I’m now tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Any watch with ‘Snowflake hands’ is ruined.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Seamaster's are much, much better than Speedmasters
    You might just create the first inter Omega virtual punch up . Lol
    Got both love em both!

Celebrity endorsement- again, more likely to repel than attract me

Like brown shoes with black trousers, black dials with brown straps are just wrong

All watches should have a date function

A mechanical watch with more complications than a date is a gewgaw

Roman numerals are a thing of the long since past and should have stayed there

The only valid reason to have more than one watch is when one is a spare

Breitling look like they were designed and made by partially sighted people, with chisels, who were stuck in a time warp (except the Navitimer)

Two tone watches look cheap, but they did have their era, but it’s not this one

Bell & Ross square watches look tragic

A Rolex owner is very likely to own a Mont Blanc pen

I think that sometimes, "As New In Original Packaging" ain't all it's cracked up to be...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    I think that sometimes, "As New In Original Packaging" ain't all it's cracked up to be...

That is great!
    No regard for shipping costs then...

Is that a double rotating bezel for the elapsed time and dual time function?

Looking at 'Clinton watches' for sale on eBay in the same style, the bezels are single inserts, just painted to look like doubles.

Craftsman
    To get a new rolex sports watch do you have to have a brown nose
    Or a relative thats on the staff

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Rolex Submariner ‘Hulk’ and ‘Kermit’ models were designed for the Middle Eastern market...............

Master
    I like G-10/NATOs. Judging by the thread so far that makes me as popular as a bottom burp in a packed car. *runs*

The Rolex OysterQuartz is a better finished and more innovative movement than the automatics they were building when it first came out.

TAG Heuer makes better watches and keeps better records than vintage Heuer did. For a period in time Heuer came out with fantastic industrial designs, but I don't rate them as a great house like Omega, Rolex, Longines.

Journeyman
    Rolex don't make a single watch I actually like.

The New Omega Seamaster Professional is a better watch than the Planet Ocean despite being cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The New Omega Seamaster Professional is a better watch than the Planet Ocean despite being cheaper.

It may not be that unpopular an opinion. New Seamaster is such a refined watch. I am inclined to put it on par with the Submariner.

Craftsman
    I love quartz

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've long-lusted for all things Breguet

Looking at 'Clinton watches' for sale on eBay in the same style, the bezels are single inserts, just painted to look like doubles.
    Agreed - and a shame!

Journeyman
    People genuinely aren’t going to like this but...

An Apple Watch is a great choice in most situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post

But not when you happen to be 300m under the sea 😂😂

Master

That gets your attention at least!! Obviously they weren't worried about the longevity of leather straps in water for extended durations!
    Oh...just noticed that it has a 'vinyl' strap. Perhaps they weren't so daft after all....
    Last edited by MrGrumpy; 24th June 2019 at 13:59.

Don’t worry. Uninformed/attention seeking/trolling all seems to go under the term ‘unpopular’.

Craftsman
    The Rolex Deepsea is an ugly watch, by far the ugliest SS dive watch they make
    I dont like the look of most AP/Cartier/Richard Mille or Hublot either!

Journeyman
    Unnecessarily antagonistic post there.

Let me tell you a tale. I used to work in insurance. Years ago before the crunch I went to a suppliers day at a major U.K. insurer. The owner of one of the suppliers was there, turned up in his Lambo, real big-timer, had a FM Crazy Hands on and black diamond cuff links that ‘cost 250 bags’. All this to meet with mainly mid level procurement folks.

Now this is an extreme example but even wearing a £6k Omega/Rolex you run the risk of looking flash and putting your audience off. You’ll never do that with one of Cupertino’s finest; CEOs and street sweepers sport them. Save the fun stuff for the weekend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Don’t worry. Uninformed/attention seeking/trolling all seems to go under the term ‘unpopular’.
    He is entitled to an opinion the same as you. Most people who accuse others of trolling are those who simply do lot like what the other person says.

I am 100% in disagreement with what he says but that does not make him a troll.

Unnecessarily antagonistic post there.

Let me tell you a tale. I used to work in insurance. Years ago before the crunch I went to a suppliers day at a major U.K. insurer. The owner of one of the suppliers was there, turned up in his Lambo, real big-timer, had a FM Crazy Hands on and black diamond cuff links that ‘cost 250 bags’. All this to meet with mainly mid level procurement folks.

Now this is an extreme example but even wearing a £6k Omega/Rolex you run the risk of looking flash and putting your audience off. You’ll never do that with one of Cupertino’s finest; CEOs and street sweepers sport them. Save the fun stuff for the weekend.

My garage mechanic used to wear a 1680. Didn’t look a bit out of place.
    By extension, any watch or none at all in days of mobiles is fine. You don’t even need an Apple Watch.
    But if I have to explain that to someone, they are missing what the hobby is all about.

That special edition GS is really pretty icky - that blue looks like something you'd see on a nursery wall.

But it's photos. GS do have a habit of taking really crap pictures of otherwise beautiful things.

I don’t believe in watch collections. One watch is enough. Only change it if a better option becomes available.

I never could understand flipping and now have far too many watches. They just hang around as a guilty reminder of my numerous ill-considered overindulgences. Now I get flipping.

Journeyman
    Most of the Breitlings are disturbingly ugly.

Journeyman

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I don’t believe in watch collections. One watch is enough. Only change it if a better option becomes available.
    I’m on board with this.

Maybe one for every day and one for special occasions but that’s about it for me.

Money no object I could probably keep it down to 3 and one of those would be an Apple Watch.

Last edited by Ellgal; 7th July 2019 at 13:28.

Master
    This may be unpopular on here, but amongst the wider population I think you are representative. Probably a healthy view too.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hrvoje View Post
    Most of the Breitlings are disturbingly ugly.
    A commonly expressed view.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Probably a healthy view too.

I once saw an interview with Lennox Lewis. He was talking about having money and said something along the lines of ‘why have a fleet of cars? You’ve only got one ass so can only sit in one at a time’ basically his view was that he can buy a nice car (an S Class iirc), change it as often as he wants and use the money that others spend on a fleet of cars on other, more productive things.

Lots of boxers risk their brains coming out of retirement for a payday. Lennox didn’t. No coincidence that.

Master
    I once saw an interview with Lennox Lewis. He was talking about having money and said something along the lines of ‘why have a fleet of cars? You’ve only got one ass so can only sit in one at a time’ basically his view was that he can buy a nice car (an S Class iirc), change it as often as he wants and use the money that others spend on a fleet of cars on other, more productive things.

Lots of boxers risk their brains coming out of retirement for a payday. Lennox didn’t. No coincidence that.

He always came across as a classier guy than most boxers. He was no dumpling.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTheBob View Post
    That squarish hour hand on Tudor watches looks like Lisa Simpson and ruins an otherwise perfectly average and generic looking watch.
    Absolutely second this opinion , the Tudor hour hand is horrendous and if the brand was not associated with Rolex it would surely be derided throughout the community. It only succeeds as a brand for the people who cannot afford a Rolex ( ok , some can so don’t bite just yet ) but want to be asked about their watch and then be able to reply “ it’s made by Rolex don’t you know”.

A bit like the ugly Evoque is only a success because it’s a poor mans Range Rover . Funny how those owners I have spoken to have always told me they own a Range Rover ( no mention of Evoque ) . Oh and pink or yellow Ralph Lauren shirts every man and his dog seems to wear when you are on holiday , probably along with a Tudor hoping people will think they are loaded.

I mean no offence to anyone by the way , just thinking out loud and hope this doesn’t get me banned from the forum.
    I’m going for a lie down now.

This increasingly makes sense to me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvadali View Post
    Absolutely second this opinion , the Tudor hour hand is horrendous and if the brand was not associated with Rolex it would surely be derided throughout the community. It only succeeds as a brand for the people who cannot afford a Rolex ( ok , some can so don’t bite just yet ) but want to be asked about their watch and then be able to reply “ it’s made by Rolex don’t you know”.

A bit like the ugly Evoque is only a success because it’s a poor mans Range Rover . Funny how those owners I have spoken to have always told me they own a Range Rover ( no mention of Evoque ) . Oh and pink or yellow Ralph Lauren shirts every man and his dog seems to wear when you are on holiday , probably along with a Tudor hoping people will think they are loaded.

I mean no offence to anyone by the way , just thinking out loud and hope this doesn’t get me banned from the forum.
    I’m going for a lie down now.
    I think it was me you saw on holiday . Now where’s that Pina Colada !

I think this is probably a good philosophy, but I think I might struggle a bit to thin all the way down to 1.

I did sort out the watch box earlier to ones I could let go of and those I'd like to keep, but the keep pile still has 7-8 on it. With 5 in the could go list.

ETA, I'm still considering picking up one of the citizen LE's however......

As to my own opinion, well I think too many buy watches to impress others rather than themselves

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I see what you mean....but there's a philosophical point - I have rather an unnecessarily large number of watches (I'm not sure how many, say 10 I actively wear, plus others I don't anymore), but does this mean I have a 'collection'? I buy watches to wear, not to curate (to use a terribly modish word!).

Edit:

forgot that I found this on Watch Talk, not the Bear Pit
    Last edited by Der Amf; 2nd September 2023 at 19:05.

Blog Entries
    Nobody needs a GMT complication - if you can't subtract from 24 you shouldn't be spending more than $10 on a watch.

z
    ... I have a few GMT complications

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Nobody needs a GMT complication - if you can't subtract from 24 you shouldn't be spending more than $10 on a watch.

z
    Subtracting 24 hours is so yesterday

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    It's all about the 4th hand, that's all.
    And yes, GMT is a great complication, just behind chronograph.

Double time zone watches would be much better if the numbering read midnight to 11am, then noon to 11pm.

With midnight at the bottom of the dial, so that the rising and falling of the 24 hour hand follows the rising and setting of the sun. Dusky blue for 6pm-6am, gold for 6am-6pm.

I have owned and enjoyed Hublot. I’d have another one happily.

I’d have a Richard Mille in a heartbeat, I think they’re a superb piece of engineering.

An Urwerk is my exit watch.

Blog Entries
    Every watch face should be iced and case sides to match.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Every watch face should be iced and case sides to match.
    Is this a Cake Opinion?

Master
    Love a cyclops...

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Nobody needs to spend more than £200 on a watch, including with a chronograph or GMT complication.
    Last edited by YCymro; 11th September 2023 at 01:07.