closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Master
    Vintage watches are just knackered old tat.

I never had any problems winding Speedmaster.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Thank you.Have Hydroconquest and Rado been killed off yet ?
    If they're quartz and cost more than £1k then someone has sadly killed them off haha

Nothing equals the easy balanced elegance of a Hublot Classic Fusion

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    If they're quartz and cost more than £1k then someone has sadly killed them off haha
    Oooh I'm still in with a chance, they're both under £1k.

How's your collection doing ?

Craftsman
    Oooh I'm still in with a chance, they're both under £1k.

How's your collection doing ?
    I think they're all on the seabed. Given the extent of what's been listed I'll be amazed if any watch has survived given there have been some fairly sweeping 'catch all' comments!

Journeyman
    90s Retro is a thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    I think they're all on the seabed. Given the extent of what's been listed I'll be amazed if any watch has survived given there have been some fairly sweeping 'catch all' comments!
    Hahaha there's been a pretty big 'catch all' net thrown out and a lot of very pithy and funny comments.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    I'm not denying that they have an image problem and I'm not a fan of some of the styling, but from a build quality point of view they are better made and finished than many of the more "respected" brands
    That watch is stunning in the flesh.
    I really really like it, but its a sad fact the word "Chanel" (and the horrendous font it's in) on the dial is what puts me off reaching for my wallet.

Master
    Sometimes when I'm passing through Schiphol Airport, all modern luxury watches en masse start to look like oversized overpriced vulgar gaudy baubles and I wonder why I'm even interested in them.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 12th February 2019 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    This. It's an unattractive core design.

Admittedly some versions (e.g. Ceramic) look a lot better than this one but they still have the same fatal flaws including the essay written on the dial and ugly crown, crown guards and pushers that look squashed together.

It looks very 80s/90s but not in a good way.

It's a shame because the original Daytonas are absolutely stunning.
    Good point but it's down the centre. As every schoolboy knows, an essay down the centre of the page is a poem, therefore, it's a poem on the dial. Any better?

Master
    Panarei or Hublot should only be worn by footballers in Matt Grey Bentleys or Range Rovers.
    I thought they were already? Hublots anyway...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Sometimes when I'm passing through Schiphol Airport, all modern luxury watches en masse start to look like oversized overpriced vulgar gaudy baubles and I wonder why I'm even interested in them.
    Form still follows function, I guess, it's just that function has now changed to be one of shouty, attention seeking. Little pigs, all in a row, smothered in lipstick.

Quote Originally Posted by stolid View Post
    90s Retro is a thing.
    I don't think the 90's had enough identity to be a thing in retro.

Craftsman
    This hobby is fundamentally quite boring, it adds little value to my life, it’s more a source of frustration than anything these days – the general demographic and overpriced/unavailable trinkets.

G-Shocks are rubbish

I have a Rolex 1016, it’s utterly, miserably, vanilla.

Moser should make smaller watches - 36mm

Big watches look silly, even on big people.

Oh, I have to have a go at this! Unpopular opinions...let's see now...

1. The Rolex Daytona is a girls watch.

2. NATO straps are just cheap, nasty, fiddly, scratchy pieces of nylon that have no place on any decent (or half-decent, for that matter) watch.

3. G Shocks are horrendous.

4. Rubber straps on divers are awesome.

5. Having an entire collection made up of near-identical black dialled dive watches makes no sense whatsoever.

6. Anybody who pays full price for a Christopher Ward needs their head examined.

7. Bremont watches are excellent and the people still banging on about so-called 'PR scandals' of the past probably need to get a life and move on.

8. The Rolex Skydweller was designed by someone who "should have gone to Specsavers".

9. As a brand, MONTBLANC should stick to pens.

10. Power reserve meters are an eyesore and completely unnecessary - either it's going or it's stopped, for goodness sake...

I'm sure I have more but that's probably enough to be going on with

Simon

Journeyman
    I know somebody who collects high-end fakes, and he's not a terrible person.

In light of the posts so far, I think I have to add "I really like NATOs" and remove "I'm just not keen on Rolex", in order to maintain the unpopularity of my opinions. :)

Great thread, OP - I think I have one watch left which hasn't been torpedoed. Yet.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    Buying cheap ETA movement branded by Tudor or Panerai for thousands, should be treated as an ilness :)
    Excuse me, sir, this thread is for unpopular opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by marschv View Post
    I know somebody who collects high-end fakes, and he's not a terrible person.
    Not possible. That’s not an unpopular opinion. That’s an incorrect opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

:-)
    Sorry my fault - it was my first time!

Master
    As the OP states the only worthwhile Rolex is the Explorer II - but the modern black version with 'mystery hands' not the polar which is shouty, common and vulgar.
    The Apple Watch is the best all round watch out there bar none - a true 'one watch' solution.
    Breitling Chronomat > The Tag Monaco > Speedmaster.
    The Breitling SOH > Sub date.
    The 'Big 3' AP, PP and VC are trading on their name and produce either bling for rappers or old man watches.
    Bracelets > Rubber > leather > nato / fabric. Switch bracelet and rubber if it's really, really hot.
    Zenith watches look awful.
    Panerai need to have a word with themselves about innovation, looks and price.

Master
    That's the irony....I'm (slightly) relieved to find that I'm by no means the only one to dislike Nato straps!!! This 'unpopular' opinion has been found to be popular!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    That's the irony....I'm (slightly) relieved to find that I'm by no means the only one to dislike Nato straps!!! This 'unpopular' opinion has been found to be popular!!
    I agree, they look diabolical.

42>40

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This thread has made me laugh out loud. Not sure I can contribute on the comedy front, but I have a handful of Rolex gripes that get in the way of my (overall) obsession with the brand.
    1 - Daytonas (in fact I guess any chronographs) may look great but they have subdials that barely get used, if ever. All that workmanship to never time anything longer than a boiled egg. A waste of a complication in my opinion.
    2 - and while we’re on the subject of wasted complications, while I owned my BLNR I basically realised travel or no travel I never had any reason to turn the bezel because of the separate hour hand complication on the GMTII, which we all know suffices. Third time zone? Do me a favour. It’s over designed and you know it’s true. The original GMT Master however, with just the rotating bezel and no separate hour hand, is a thing of beauty.
    3 - the crowns on all Subs are too big to my eye and the dive extensions a heavy waste of bracelet space. Easylink is smart, but seriously, THAT much adjustability perleease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charging more for a special limited edition and then supplying it on a NATO with a stripe.

I like this and if I had a spare £210k, I’d buy one.

Last edited by Scrubnut; 12th February 2019 at 17:53.

Craftsman

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    Mechanical watch movements are pointless. Even bad quartz movements are better than the best mechanical.
    Mmmmmn unless the battery runs out. You might as well have a digital watch imo.
    Give me mechanical any day.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rodan View Post
    1) If I buy a used or vintage watch, I have no interest in its ‘patina’ as a record of its previous owners memories with it, unless I inherit it from someone I know personally. I will happily have it serviced, polished and restored to as good a condition as availability of parts allows. I don’t care what this might do to its resale value or its desirability to collectors, because...

2) I cannot abide vintage aficionados who have implacable opinions on what others ought to do with their own property and...

3) The obsession with beat-up, unpolished cases, knackered dials and crumbling handsets is unfathomable to me.
    Hahaha no3) so true!

Craftsman
    This may be my favourite thread ever. But maybe I need to open my eyes to quartz. What am I missing?

Craftsman
    All square / rectangular shaped watches are ugly

Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post

😂 I recently bought my second one knowing full well 99% of people will share that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mhurley View Post

Not a fan of this then?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rgwarden View Post
    But maybe I need to open my eyes to quartz. What am I missing?

Lets be frank - mechanical movements are far inferior to quartz. Mechanicals are nowhere near as accurate, are far less robust, need more servicing, cost more to make, and are less convenient as they stop if you don't wear them. Enthusiasts claim that they have some sort of 'character' - an entity that I find somewhat elusive.

Grand Master
    When a quartz watch dies through failure of the electronic parts it's dead until a replacement part is sourced. This is a problem for older quartz watches, and I`m never happy using 40 year old electronic parts that could fail tomorrow. Even with a degree of wear and tear a mechanical watch can usually be kept running if it's serviced properly, it may not run as well as when it was new bbut that's a far better situation than a quartz watch that won't run at all.

I own one quartz watch and it's easy to get spares for it. I generally avoid them when they're old.

- - - Updated - - -

When a quartz watch dies through failure of the electronic parts it's dead until a replacement part is sourced. This is a problem for older quartz watches, and I`m never happy using 40 year old electronic parts that could fail tomorrow. Even with a degree of wear and tear a mechanical watch can usually be kept running if it's serviced properly, it may not run as well as when it was new but that's a far better situation than a quartz watch that won't run at all.

I own one quartz watch and it's easy to get spares for it. I generally avoid them when they're old.

Craftsman
    Fabric NATO straps are just cheap bits of tat and should only be coupled with cheap bits of tat fashion watches. They make a nice mechanical Swiss made watch look more like a cheap but of tat, rather than enhancing them!

G-Shocks are awesome

Natos are awesome

Fake watches are aw........ No, wait

Journeyman
    You already own enough watches.

Journeyman
    I have a topper -- an opinion I genuinely hold that I express at risk of being booted from this forum.

Here it is:

If you don't own a Rolex, and you're thinking of buying one, you should first wear a fake one for at least a week.

Craftsman
    A Boschett Cave Dweller isn’t too thick.

Blog Entries
    HEQ watches are far superior to mechanical watches.

More...

All chronographs are utterly pointless. Whoever uses them after the first five minutes of ownership?

Given the above, why do I own about ten chronographs?

Any watch bigger than 42mm is a desperate attempt to make up for a lack of masculinity in the trouser department.

Any watch smaller than 34mm is equally trying to compensate for something overly huge in the trouser department - I own several sub 34... l :)

No one 'needs' more than one watch.

Digital watches are only bought/worn by people who cannot read the time properly - I blame the parents.

Or terrorists apparently :(

Zenith make the best watches in the world, hence the name.

Rolex are overpriced tat bought by people with more money than sense (I have three Rolex and one Zenith, so not quite sure what that says about me? Nothing good obviously :( )

Anyone who is 'into' watches is a boring old fart that will die old and alone and probably a virgin. I was told that by a very attractive young lady so it must be true? She wore a Rolex...

Panerai made one decent watch about two decades ago but lost the drawings of it (fag packet done in the chip shop) so there has never been another.

Craftsman
    In general I do not like, or have any need for, marked or movable bezels.

Craftsman
    What's the matter with pink watches. Alright?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post

1) Any watch smaller than 34mm is equally trying to compensate for something overly huge in the trouser department - I own several sub 34... l :)

2) Anyone who is 'into' watches is a boring old fart that will die old and alone and probably a virgin. I was told that by a very attractive young lady so it must be true? She wore a Rolex.....
    According to point 1) if her Rolex was sub 34mm I think you dodged a bullet..........or missed a great opportunity it's 2019 I don't judge.
    Last edited by Itizme; 12th February 2019 at 23:14.

Journeyman
    That squarish hour hand on Tudor watches looks like Lisa Simpson and ruins an otherwise perfectly average and generic looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hats off to the OP. Probably the most cathartic, yet civilised (watch related) thread on TZ atm
    Yep, most enjoyable