closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    If you replaced just the name on the dial of a ‘prestige’ watch brand such as Rolex / PP / AP with ‘Timex’ or ‘Seiko’, much of the enjoyment in wearing the watch would be destroyed for a significant proportion of people who purport to be watch enthusiasts.
    Completely true... and that significant proportion, in their insecurity, will be the first to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    That's so quintessentially British. Look like you don't care but top it with a discreet and expensive watch. The richer you are the less you have to show it...Old school wealth....
    Provided the emphasis is on discrete, then this also hits the nail on the head.

Master
    36mm is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Green bezels and dials are vile. Although made worse if a dial is both green and California style.

Green bezel/dial Submariners were designed for the middle-eastern market. Strangely popular in Europe.

Master
    41mm Dj's are too big and out of proportion for the style.

I like a good Cyclops

Master
    If i ever had the funds for a sub it'd have to be cyclops-less.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RD200; 14th February 2019 at 13:40.

Craftsman
    I quite like the new Audemars Piguet Code 11:59 - erk!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    May or may not be an unpopular opinion that one... I'd agree with it. Rolex - the company that came up with the perfect case shape, then decided to 'improve' it.

I wouldn't wear an AP if it were given to me!

I like a good Cyclops
    100% agree

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Rolex - the company that came up with the perfect case shape, then decided to 'improve' it.
    This. Precisely this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A German built watch with a Spring Drive would be an ultimate combination.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    A German built watch with a Spring Drive would be an ultimate combination.
    Not if it had that stupid power reserve meter on the dial...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    Reminds me of crisps.
    Terrible name for a luxury product...reminds me of Turds.

Master
    Of all the watches in the world how come i can't find one to go with my Mankini...

Single-hand 24hr dial (MeisterSinger) - Counter-intuitive, and absolutely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    If most people with multiple expensive watches, bought one less watch and spent a few quid on decent clothing and footwear, they would look infinitely better and the remaining watches would complement the person, instead of them being a mess wearing an expensive watch.
    This presumes that you care about making an impression. You may look like shite, but feel far from it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Single-hand 24hr dial (MeisterSinger) - Counter-intuitive, and absolutely pointless.
    Part of me loves them, but I could never bring myself to set fire to that amount of money on one.

I had a tuppence-ha'penny Luch one-hander for a while and found something rather zen about it.

Craftsman
    High end Richard Mille. I just don't get it...

It's vaguely unsettling that my favourite waste of time is in contemplation of devices for the measurement of our most precious resource, time.

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

The Rolex exployer 1 in 36mm of course and any of the 3 flavours is the only one worth considering and probably the only one you won’t be mugged wearing .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tazio; 15th February 2019 at 12:21.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazio View Post
    The Rolex exployer 1 in 36mm of course and any of the 3 flavours is the only one worth considering and probably the only one you won’t be mugged wearing .....

That is the joy of wearing it. You know that you are wearing one of the best watches on the planet but it is unlikely that anyone else will even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    That is the joy of wearing it. You know that you are wearing one of the best watches on the planet but it is unlikely that anyone else will even notice.
    For many that would be good reason to choose something else.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    For many that would be good reason to choose something else.
    Yes we are all different.

I was in San Marco Venice a couple of years ago and was gawping along with a few Rolex wearing Americans at a new SD43 in the window. As well as looking at the watches in the window, the Americans were also showing off the Rolex on their wrists to each other. They were all wearing Subs and DJs and were boasting about how good they were etc. I complimented them how good they looked.

Not one of them noticed the 1655 Explorer that I was wearing and I was very pleased about that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its okay to wear a watch, you don't need to keep it in a safe and just post pics with it on instagram occasionally.

Master
    A decent enough watch, but ‘one of the best watches on the planet’.? ....clearly it’s not just American tourists who boast about their Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    A decent enough watch, but ‘one of the best watches on the planet’.? ....clearly it’s not just American tourists who boast about their Rolex.
    Any Rolex, PP, Omega, Brequet, Lange, Audemars Piquet, Baume, Breitling and watches of a similar ilk must be in the top 1% if not 1/10th % of all watches on this planet. Hence my statement is a matter of fact, not a boast.

Any Rolex, PP, Omega, Brequet, Lange, Audemars Piquet, Baume, Breitling and watches of a similar ilk must be in the top 1% if not 1/10th % of all watches on this planet. Hence my statement is a matter of fact, not a boast.
    Aside from the sad decline into semantics...

..."must be"?

Your statement is an opinion. Whether l or anyone else agrees or not is immaterial, but it is still just an opinion.
    The brands you mention and those of a "similar ilk" may be very far from a great many people's definition of "best"...for a variety of reasons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Aside from the sad decline into semantics...

..."must be"?

Your statement is an opinion. Whether l or anyone else agrees or not is immaterial, but it is still just an opinion.
    The brands you mention and those of a "similar ilk" may be very far from a great many people's definition of "best"...for a variety of reasons.
    And likewise your comments are an opinion and we could go around in circles all day long.

Could be wrong, but I dont think the idea of this thread - was to pick up one view.........

and then argue the hell out of it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    This presumes that you care about making an impression. You may look like shite, but feel far from it.
    Unfortunately the world and often ones success within it are based on impressions.
    Definition of success is of course highly subjective and changes by age, location, stage in life and a plethora of other factors, and is probably a bit deep for this thread!

I will give a scenario however. In my last role, working in IT many of the developers would wear shorts, sandals or hiking boots and sloganed t-shirts. At client meetings, based soely on the fact i wore a shirt and slacks, customers would instantly assume i was in charge, all conversation would be with me. It didnt matter that many of these dev's were much smarter than me. Give them a rolex and nothing changes. Based on a good impression by a tidy appearance, I had more opportunities, was given more trust and more responsibility. A head start, based on first impressions, built on some decent duds.

Again, success means many things to many people, but for many, at some stage trust and responsibility play a massive part. Looking like shite hinders that.

When i retire/win the lotto/ marry a rich businessman that will all change of course, and ill happily wear fancy watches while wearing a curry stained t shirt, boxers and crocs!

Well my father used to say you can judge a man by his watch and the shoes he wears ...... well I have some decent fairly understated watches and I wear crocket and jones shoes amoung others ..still looks can be deceiving ! :))

And likewise your comments are an opinion and we could go around in circles all day long.
    Well... YOU could...

Craftsman
    If you want a leather strap that works really well with your watch, just buy the branded one to match the specific watch you have.

After laying out £000's for a dream watch, many people seem to want to scrimp and save £100 or so, to buy an aftermarket strap that just doesn't suit the watch/ work quite as well as the original branded version.

I've been guilty of this, having bought Hirsch straps and similar, all of which are lovely quality, but just don't sit as well at the lugs or clasp as the branded ones...

My learnt, unpopular opinion- lay out the extra cash and get the one intended for your watch!

Watches rated to 50m water resistance are fine for 99.9% of us.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    If you want a leather strap that works really well with your watch, just buy the branded one to match the specific watch you have.
    I think this only works as a rule above a certain level: the straps that came with my Junghans and CW were too horrible to wear even once, both inferior to a £15 Darlena.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I think this only works as a rule above a certain level: the straps that came with my Junghans and CW were too horrible to wear even once, both inferior to a £15 Darlena.
    Agree cw straps are awful

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Unfortunately the world and often ones success within it are based on impressions.
    Definition of success is of course highly subjective and changes by age, location, stage in life and a plethora of other factors, and is probably a bit deep for this thread!

I will give a scenario however. In my last role, working in IT many of the developers would wear shorts, sandals or hiking boots and sloganed t-shirts. At client meetings, based soely on the fact i wore a shirt and slacks, customers would instantly assume i was in charge, all conversation would be with me. It didnt matter that many of these dev's were much smarter than me. Give them a rolex and nothing changes. Based on a good impression by a tidy appearance, I had more opportunities, was given more trust and more responsibility. A head start, based on first impressions, built on some decent duds.

Again, success means many things to many people, but for many, at some stage trust and responsibility play a massive part. Looking like shite hinders that.

When i retire/win the lotto/ marry a rich businessman that will all change of course, and ill happily wear fancy watches while wearing a curry stained t shirt, boxers and crocs!
    People tend to assume I am in charge no matter where I go or what I wear. Perhaps I should start leaving my smug superior manner at home.
    Gray

Master
    I think a power reserve indicator can enhance the look of a dial.

I like my Seikos to have a 4 o’clock crown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post

After laying out £000's for a dream watch, many people seem to want to scrimp and save £100 or so, to buy an aftermarket strap that just doesn't suit the watch/ work quite as well as the original branded version.
    Oh no! Sorry I know this thread is a space for outlandish opinions rather than debate, but so many watches come with utterly rubbish straps or bracelets - often much cheaper & nastier than the watch. I don't think I've ever kept a watch on standard strap or bracelet for more than 5 minutes. Manufacturer's replacement straps are normally wildly over priced, and many better aftermarket options are available for a tenth of the price.

If we are in to unpopular opinions on straps & bracelets, I'm always amazed how feeble many Rolex bracelets look - they are mostly far too narrow for the watch. If I bought a Rolex I'd have to ditch the bracelet!!!

Master
    My air-king puts the capital A into anonymous. It's the exact opposite of my mate's Yacht-master. He likes to tell me mine is 'entry level Rolex'

I like a good Cyclops

Quite agree. The proportions at 41mm are wrong and any element of elegance is lost.

Journeyman
    I don’t like any Seiko’s

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I love a square watch

Explorer II 16570 more desirable than any 6 digit with a stupid name

A lot of Genta designs are rubbish

Uncomplicated Patek, Vacheron, or AP and it’s not a dress watch in precious metal-what’s the point?

Luxury quartz watches are often great

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skinny wristed people who think they can pull off 44mm+..

Anything after Tritium is not worth buying..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Yachtmaster > Submariner. And Omega > Rolex

I like and own Hublot

Grand Seikos would be much better with solid case backs, as the finishing on most of their movements isn’t that great.

As much as I love the Rolex 14060, they had some nerve putting it on that bracelet and charging what they did. To then improve it and stick it on the squared-off monstrosity it is currently on showed even more nerve.

Craftsman
    I think my taste in watches is an unpopular opinion overall.

Don’t like NATO
    Don’t like Grand Seiko
    Don’t like explorer ll
    I like Bi Metal
    Like Breitling
    Only Tudor I like is the fast rider black shield
    I have an affinity for red accents and dials
    Like quite a few TAG’s
    Like smart watches

Panerais are like Mexican Food. Regardless of what you order, pretty much the same thing will turn up.....