closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: After a Chronograph

Master

After a Chronograph

Had my SeaQ for a few months now and looking to add to the collection which would compliment the SeaQ with the movement being a Chrono and a flyback if possible

Like the SeaQ I am wondering if there is something out there which is underrated but equally as good as some of the other brands offerings.

Having recently looked at the Breitling Top Time and Heritage models but feel there is just something that doesn’t click with me.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Are you looking to buy new or is vintage a consideration? And do you prefer the style of the top time or are you open to different styles? My first reflex when asking for a flyback chrono would be the Zenith Rainbow Flyback (the original), though it may be very different than what you are looking for. Comes in colourful and all black variants.

(photo courtesy of Fratello

(photo courtesy of Analog Shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Are you looking to buy new or is vintage a consideration? And do you prefer the style of the top time or are you open to different styles? My first reflex when asking for a flyback chrono would be the Zenith Rainbow Flyback (the original), though it may be very different than what you are looking for. Comes in colourful and all black variants.

I love how colourful that model is.

Quote Originally Posted by burton View Post
    Had my SeaQ for a few months now and looking to add to the collection which would compliment the SeaQ with the movement being a Chrono and a flyback if possible

Like the SeaQ I am wondering if there is something out there which is underrated but equally as good as some of the other brands offerings.

Having recently looked at the Breitling Top Time and Heritage models but feel there is just something that doesn’t click with me.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Wasn’t the SeaQ meant to be your one and done watch? Maybe I made that up.

I love vintage styled Carreras. They’re just sporty enough not to be too dressy and just dressy enough not to be too sporty.

There’s the CS line from the early 2000s which are 35mm, have a 1861 speedy movement inside and are about 2-3k.

Then there’s the CV line from 10 years later which are 38mm, have an ETA 2894-2, for about 1.5-2k.

Then you have the more recent 38mm ones with the Heuer02 in-house movement, which cost upwards of 4K.

Lastly, there’s the glassbox from the last few years which are an ultramodern take on the vintage design are are available in ADs to try, currently about 5.5k, I think.

There are alternative versions which take less vintage inspiration but I find them far too big.

I second the Zeniths - I have the black and white version and it's one of my favourite pieces.
    Very good alternative to the ubiquitous Speedmaster, extremely comfortable to wear, and can be had for decent money by today's standards.

Not sure what style you are looking for or price range, but Breguet very underrated. Flyback chronograph, domed crystal and good value on the pre- loved market.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

After a Chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Wasn’t the SeaQ meant to be your one and done watch? Maybe I made that up.

I love vintage styled Carreras. They’re just sporty enough not to be too dressy and just dressy enough not to be too sporty.

There’s the CS line from the early 2000s which are 35mm, have a 1861 speedy movement inside and are about 2-3k.

Then there’s the CV line from 10 years later which are 38mm, have an ETA 2894-2, for about 1.5-2k.
    I thought the CS range were 38mm, not 36mm.

Also, and I’m pretty certain of this, the CV20** are 41mm and CV2A** are 43mm. Trey also had the 7750 chronograph movement. It was the WV range which were three ganders with the 2894 and were 38mm.

I’ve had a CS, CV2010 and a CV2A10 and if buying again, would almost certainly go for the CS. I would consider another CV20** but the 2A is too big for me these days (always was probably).

Sinn also do some nice chronographs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Also, and I’m pretty certain of this, the CV20** are 41mm and CV2A** are 43mm. Trey also had the 7750 chronograph movement. It was the WV range which were three ganders with the 2894 and were 38mm.

I’ve had a CS, CV2010 and a CV2A10 and if buying again, would almost certainly go for the CS. I would consider another CV20** but the 2A is too big for me these days (always was probably).

I was making reference to the vintage style ones as the OP mentioned a TopTime. The ones you have listed were all modern interpretations at their respective release times and IMO, were very large. I probably could have been more specific so here goes:

The CV2110, 2111 and 2113 were all 38mm, 2894-2 movement.
    The CS3110, 3111 and 3113 were 35mm, 1861 movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I was making reference to the vintage style ones as the OP mentioned a TopTime. The ones you have listed were all modern interpretations at their respective release times and IMO, were very large. I probably could have been more specific so here goes:

The CV2110, 2111 and 2113 were all 38mm, 2894-2 movement.
    The CS3110, 3111 and 3113 were 35mm, 1861 movement.
    Sorry, yes you are right, I’d forgotten about the earlier cv21**.

I don’t recall the CS models being quite so small though but I bow to your better knowledge.

The CV21** are the pick of the bunch, along with the latest box glass models as you’ve previously mentioned.

I just noticed that Hanhart do their pioneer 417 ES chronos with Flyback.
    Proper brand, proper heritage, very reasonable price.
    the flyback models are in panda, and reverse panda dials, 42 and 39mm

This is the reverse panda 39mm, probably my choice if I were to choose one.

Master
    There's a 417 on SC being sold by pinpull. A watch worn by Steve McQueen no less.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    There's a 417 on SC being sold by pinpull. A watch worn by Steve McQueen no less.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app
    True but it is not the flyback the OP wanted, a feature which is a relatively new development for Hanhart

Master

I am happy with vintage, they do look lovely but quite a big watch, have been looking at the Zeniths and they do look very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I just noticed that Hanhart do their pioneer 417 ES chronos with Flyback.
    Proper brand, proper heritage, very reasonable price.
    the flyback models are in panda, and reverse panda dials, 42 and 39mm

This is the reverse panda 39mm, probably my choice if I were to choose one.

I have had a 417 ES and it was a lovely watch the dial was ok for the money

Flyback movement was very good though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Did think of those, are they fly backs?

Yes Sinn do make some nice Chronographs for sure, some very vintage feel too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    Not sure what style you are looking for or price range, but Breguet very underrated. Flyback chronograph, domed crystal and good value on the pre- loved market.

I like these but wondering if a little too much in terms of appearance but that said I have been looking the Blancpain versions also

Did think of those, are they fly backs?

Yes Sinn do make some nice Chronographs for sure, some very vintage feel too

No, I don’t think they made a fly back unfortunately.

Master
    Chronomaster had a lovely JLC Master Chrono yesterday https://www.chronomaster.co.uk/watch...raph-nww-2181/

Not a massive fan of Chronos but that one is just sublime. Flyback just seems to add ££ to a price and really how many times would you use it? Easier and quicker on a phone

Master
    Seconded, thirded, or wherever we are now. I checked in to reply to this post and what I would have said was in the first reply.

I am happy with vintage, they do look lovely but quite a big watch, have been looking at the Zeniths and they do look very nice!

They're 40mm I believe, so smaller than the Top time or the Hanhart. It's the later reissues that are in the 45mm range, I think. I used to have the black version and it wore pretty well on my scrawny wrist.

Master
    They're 40mm I believe, so smaller than the Top time or the Hanhart. It's the later reissues that are in the 45mm range, I think. I used to have the black version and it wore pretty well on my scrawny wrist.
    Ahh maybe it’s the reissues I have seen then which are the larger size, thought it was the other way round

Master
    ? - not big, those pictured in #2 are 40mm. Wonder if you're confusing that 'Rainbow' [ref. 01.0480.405] with the later 'Stratos Rainbow' [ref. 03.2061.405/21.M2060] which is a (daft) 46mm.

edit: yep, burton beat me to it.

Craftsman
    I own an Airain Type 20 which has a column wheel flyback chronograph which is just under 40mm width. A few reviews below.

https://wornandwound.com/review/hand...k-chronograph/

https://www.fratellowatches.com/aira...mited-edition/

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I like these but wondering if a little too much in terms of appearance but that said I have been looking the Blancpain versions also

Speaking of Blancpain Flybacks, here's mine on my 7.25" wrist. Its a 38mm but the lack of a tachymeter means it's all dial, and it is IMO a really nice dial.
    Last edited by banie01; 5th April 2024 at 12:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post

The slate grey Type XXI version is lovely!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
    Speaking of Blancpain Flybacks, here's mine on my 7.25" wrist. Its a 38mm but the lack of a tachymeter means it's all dial, and it is IMO a really nice dial.
    Lovely, which model is that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonny Marco View Post
    I own an Airain Type 20 which has a column wheel flyback chronograph which is just under 40mm width. A few reviews below.

https://wornandwound.com/review/hand...k-chronograph/

https://www.fratellowatches.com/aira...mited-edition/

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, will look into this!

Journeyman
    Lovely, which model is that?

Thank you, it's a 2185f.

The Heuer Bund is referred to as a flyback, which it is, but without the benefit of continuous timing.