closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Master
    Watches should be fitted to car keys instead of wrists, to make them more...grab and go.

Master
    It's a competitive field, admittedly, but for me the OP wins by a whisker, the crown at 12 not quite generating the same frisson of excitement as the Explorer's upside down triangle.
    But who am I to talk? My taste in watches becomes ever more vanilla with each passing year.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Which is a remarkable achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    It's a competitive field, admittedly, but for me the OP wins by a whisker, the crown at 12 not quite generating the same frisson of excitement as the Explorer's upside down triangle.
    But who am I to talk? My taste in watches becomes ever more vanilla with each passing year.
    I agree that the OP black dial is boring and has zero appeal to me but I can't say that about the rest of the OP dial colours. The silver with gold hands and indices is the standout for me. It's absolutely gorgeous and the dial goes from a silver to rich champagne depending on the light. It's certainly not boring.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The whole concept of "grab and go" watches tickles me.

In what possible scenario does a middle aged WIS need a quartz to grab and go because he/she is in such a rush that they cant pick up the automatic they lovingly cleaned with a soft cloth last night before placing it delicately on the nightstand.

Master
    Yes, but factor in the time needed to check amplitude and beat error before logging aforesaid in your customised spreadsheet and dedicated Moleskine notebook (in triplicate) and you can see why sometimes it just has to be quartz.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

In what possible scenario does a middle aged WIS need a quartz to grab and go because he/she is in such a rush that they cant pick up the automatic they lovingly cleaned with a soft cloth last night before placing it delicately on the nightstand.

As a wummin, you obviously don't suffer from the overnight growth of ear & nasal hair that many middle-aged (and older) men do.

Removing said sproutage for public decency/self-image reasons can delay your departure by several minutes & lead to grabbing & going with the quartzer rather than the auto.
    ______

​Jim.

And as Mrs W points out, I have 40 watches of which only a quarter tell the right time for the most part. At the point when I check Google maps in the morning to find out my ETA at work and discover that with four lanes in either direction, they've still managed to pile up 7 cars, blocking 3 of said lanes, then quartz has it.

Yes, always seemed ridiculous to me. Presumably they'll wear slip-ons or velcro shoes to save tying shoelaces.

Edit - and a tie on elastic.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    As a wummin, you obviously don't suffer from the overnight growth of ear & nasal hair that many middle-aged (and older) men do.

Removing said sproutage for public decency/self-image reasons can delay your departure by several minutes & lead to grabbing & going with the quartzer rather than the auto.
    Women over 40 have to tweezer away moustache or chin hairs that appear overnight and are bristly.
    True story. We ALL do it.

What’s your unpopular watch opinion?

Pluck led a hair out of my nose earlier that was so thick the inside of my nose bled a bit. If I’d known I would have trimmed it. Getting old.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Pluck led a hair out of my nose earlier that was so thick the inside of my nose bled a bit. If I’d known I would have trimmed it. Getting old.
    TMI

Master
    My pet hate is 'military' watches that really look like a kid's Timex. I haven't needed numbers on a watch dial since I was about 6 or 7 years old and with few exceptions I thoroughly dislike Arabic dials.

No polish
    No applied indices
    No gloss ceramic
    No bling

Craftsman
    the best design Rolex ever released was the 1530 and/or the 17000.

CWC should give the option to replace acrylic crystals with sapphire. Acrylic crystal and OCD are not a match made in heaven.

But having said this, I do enjoy wearing my G10 Fatboy or Casio M5610 as my grab and go watches. No need to worry about checking time, winding up or checking if charged (eg my Apple Watch).

My unpopular watch opinion is that wristwatches are totally unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangelos View Post
    the best design Rolex ever released was the 1530 and/or the 17000.
    I don't completely agree (the best design is the Sea Dweller in my probably also unpopular opinion) but the 1530 was good. And deserves a reissue.

I sold this one for ¥250,000 (£1350). I've made worse financial decisions since.

The only complication that is actually useful is a date (a timing bezel is also useful but that isn't a complication).

Chronographs are hard to read, GMT's are for frequent flyers who can't do basic mental arithmetic and only a werewolf needs a moonphase.
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 18th September 2023 at 07:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    only a werewolf needs a moonphase.
    Ramadan goes from one new moon to the next, and Cornish smugglers plan around full moons.

Master
    I don't really see any point in GMT watches. I don't pilot an intercontinental aircraft, and since I retired I haven't been further out than Spain. However let it be known that I have four GMT watches in the box.... LOLZ :)

I wear a 34mm Rolex precision on a 7 1/2 inch wrist!

Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    I wear a 34mm Rolex precision on a 7 1/2 inch wrist!
    34 is a step too far and you know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Having read through the whole thread (blimey!) I see a lot of my "unpopular" opinions are common. What I have I got that hasn't been done so far...?

Date window at 3 is an abomination that ruins the look of a dial. No date is preferable, any other method of indicating the date is preferable. Date window at 3 and the date wheel colour doesn't match the watch face? Smash it with a hammer.

Casio can take their fancy-price G-Shocks and shove 'em where it'll hurt the most (46mm, ouch). £500 for a quartz watch with a mineral crystal? £3,600 for an LCD that looks like it was £9.99 from Argos? At least when the Swiss screw you, they do it with a little finesse.

All precious metal watches are a ripoff, with the possible exception of off-brand vintage.

**** the Moonswatch.

Sinn are what Rolex used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Sinn are what Rolex used to be.
    Sinn are becoming what Rolex are

Skeleton hands... they just don't do it for me.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Rolex sucks

Rolex is king

Why luxury watch companies don't bring out a luxury diver that can actually be used effectively for diving today? Imagine one of the big Swiss guys like Rolex or Omega bring out a luxury dive computer, lightweight, super accurate thermocompensated quartz, basically a better made version of a Garmin Descent using cutting edge materials. Making the absolute best dive watch (at a premium price of course)

Maybe they could regain their heritage of making proper tool watches instead of jewellery masquerading as something more useful (let's face it you'd look a prize turnip taking a Planet Ocean on a proper saturation dive as your only watch).

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Why luxury watch companies don't bring out a luxury diver that can actually be used effectively for diving today?
    Because they know the market for luxury diving equipment is very, very small. Same reason Tiffany isn’t producing a diamond encrusted snorkel.

It`s not a snowflake, it`s a square.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    YES.

Craftsman
    Can’t really argue with that.

Why luxury watch companies don't bring out a luxury diver that can actually be used effectively for diving today? Imagine one of the big Swiss guys like Rolex or Omega bring out a luxury dive computer, lightweight, super accurate thermocompensated quartz, basically a better made version of a Garmin Descent using cutting edge materials. Making the absolute best dive watch (at a premium price of course)

Maybe they could regain their heritage of making proper tool watches instead of jewellery masquerading as something more useful (let's face it you'd look a prize turnip taking a Planet Ocean on a proper saturation dive as your only watch).
    How many people go saturation diving?

The dive computer market isn't the watch market anymore, you might as well suggest Rolex make Sat Navs...

M

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Not sure my post went twice ……. Doh.

Although the point still stands, it’s not a snowflake
    Last edited by Walts; 24th September 2023 at 13:15.

There ought to be some kind of expansive grant available to encourage people to not launch a new watch micro brand

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    There ought to be some kind of expansive grant available to encourage people to not launch a new watch micro brand by going to the usual Chinese factories and assembling a kit of parts that yield a watch exactly like all the others...

Master

But than you take that expensive piece of kit actually in the deep waters!

The bulk of people that really treat their watches as tool watches are women. That's the reality, the amount of battered, scuffed and scratched decent ladies watches I see in comparison to gents.

We like to believe we're wearing watches without worrying but in reality we're always a bit wary of knocking them about. A photo of a watch being worn whilst doing some sanding or at a gym doesn't count

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    The bulk of people that really treat their watches as tool watches are women. That's the reality, the amount of battered, scuffed and scratched decent ladies watches I see in comparison to gents.
    That's because they rarely pay for them, (out dated opinion I know, but that's my experience). I bought my Mrs a Lady Datejust and it looks like she's been banging in nails with it. She buys handbags and they're kept in dust sleeves and boxed, and handled like a newborn baby.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    34 is a step too far and you know it

29mm are just fine.

The Rolex Explorer 14270 is a future classic, modern meets old technology and style, and soon to become 'vintage'.

Plus with the Japanese love of them, things look rosy for 14270 owners.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

You have to wonder, if they treat their watches like that, what else do they treat the same way?

I see plenty of women with stunning, well looked after watches. It seems that there are plenty with battered watches as well. Given that 42 percent of marriages end in divorce, it might make a person wonder.....

We like to believe we're wearing watches without worrying but in reality we're always a bit wary of knocking them about. A photo of a watch being worn whilst doing some sanding or at a gym doesn't count
    You've been looking at my new thread! Post some pics of these battered women's watches there!

Master
    Blog Entries

Many years ago I used to work with a rather stylish English/Italian girl who came into the office one day with a Panerai that was so dented and scratched that it looked like it had been through a wood chipper.

"Nice fake Panny" I said. Wasn't even really trying to be cheeky. It didn't occur to me that anyone would treat a real Panny that way, and she was not exactly the scuba diving / outdoor pursuits type.

She hit me. Real apparently.

My unpopular Watch opinion?

Adults who really love watches and are secure in their choices really don’t devote much time to running brands down or mocking others’ choices.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 26th September 2023 at 21:50.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    29mm are just fine.
    You are right actually

I wear 25.5mm Reversos

So I guess it depends on the case shape!

Master
    The luxury watch trend feels a little bit over.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    "Nice fake Panny" I said.
    She hit me.
    Sure she didn't mishear?!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Because they know the market for luxury diving equipment is very, very small. Same reason Tiffany isn’t producing a diamond encrusted snorkel.
    I bet they would if you asked!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Zenith have lost their identity. Their Chrono's are Daytona Rip-offs (yes I know the Daytona/Zenith movement history), and the Defy Skyline range is an AP rip-off. They're following the Rotary Watches design path making look-a-likes of iconic watches, albeit very well made. Piaget did it with a Nautilus style range, and there's no need.