closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any habits with new pre-owned watches?

Any habits with new pre-owned watches?

Whenever I buy a new-to-me watch (not new new from a shop) I always do the same thing: size it, wear if for a day then take it apart - bracelet off, check springbars (am always paranoid until I’ve seen they’re OK), separate the clasp and as many links as possible, screws or pins out, and drop the whole thing in a little Tupperware bath of warm, very lightly soaped water. Give it half an hour, then go to work on each bit of it if with a soft toothbrush (a kiddies one seems best - knicked of my little lad!) and another warm bath in just water.
    Dry on the rad, and re-assemble.

If it’s showing a few marks, I add in a touch of toothpaste to the first brushing and give it a gentle work over, then back to bath time.

Until I’ve done this, i don’t feel as though the watch is mine. Once that’s done, I associate with it a bit more - bond with it, I guess. Lol, i think I’m a bit bonkers but it is a clear mental change on how I view the piece before and after.

Anyone else go through any ownership rituals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Goodness me! Nothing of the sort - my 'ritual' is to check the timing against a time-source for 3 or 4 days to check for accuracy - if it's mechanical that is - and within a few seconds per day. Else - nothing much - except take a few pictures for my records including any paperwork and upload for safe-keeping.

Finally - try and look nonchalant while wearing the newly purchased watch near SHMBO to avoid conflict!

Martyn

Have to say I’m closer to Martyn’s approach. I have a timegrapher app on the phone, which gives me some rough-n-ready piece of mind that the watch agrees with the seller’s commentary. Other than that, I just get one with it :)

I'd recommend getting a timegrapher, and sticking it on that.

http://www.wristtimes.com/blog-1/201...-a-timegrapher

Master
    I just wear it !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Goodness me! Nothing of the sort - my 'ritual' is to check the timing against a time-source for 3 or 4 days to check for accuracy - if it's mechanical that is - and within a few seconds per day. Else - nothing much - except take a few pictures for my records including any paperwork and upload for safe-keeping.

Finally - try and look nonchalant while wearing the newly purchased watch near SHMBO to avoid conflict!

Martyn

This - exactly (especially the SHMBO bit!)

I send them off for service.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Even if they are working OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Judas! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    Even if they are working OK?
    Well before 2018 they would always have been restoration cases, so yes. Last year I bought a Grand Seiko and Omega, from memory one a few months old, one about a year old. And an Omega Flightmaster which, as it turned out, went for service and some restoration and turned out to be running perfectly. Which is a first! I'd timed it and thought it was remarkably accurate but it needed to go off for the restoration anyway.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Having bought all my watches bar two 'pre-loved', this question did make me think for a second.

Unless on a steel bracelet, a new strap is a given, then just wear it. I also time for a few days on the WatchTracker app to see how inaccurate my latest mechanical acquisition is and been lucky enough to only have to send one away for immediate corrective intervention.

Never felt the need to clean one up as they have all been in pretty clean state upon arrival.

Master
    My routine goes something like this

Wind it

Wear it

Scratch it

Have no idea how the last happens but usually, within 24hrs, I notice a new nick somewhere

I will also test the time keeping against an app but only out of curiosity rather than concern.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    I make sure it’s reasonably accurate, give it a wash then size it and wear!

Check box to make sure I've got everything promised by seller.

Place watch on the Timegrapher to get a general gauge of performance.

Take-off the bracelet, scrub it a bit, then chuck it into my cheap ultrasonic cleaner for a few goes. Or wipe down/replace the leather strap.

Clean down case without bracelet attached. Polywatch for the crystal, if necessary.

Re-size bracelet (if applicable) & re-attach.

Take a few photos.

Wear.

Master
    Wash it, wind it, wear it, time it...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Pressure test, timing and amp test, clean it, size it, wear it.

Blimey, I must be 'proper boring' as I just size them and then wear them until I buy something else - really must try selling something now and again. I do check the timekeeping against the 'Atomic clock' over several days and then panic that I didn't do it right (if it's really accurate) or, panic I didn't do it right (if it's really inaccurate!).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loquacious View Post
    ... panic that I didn't do it right (if it's really accurate) or, panic I didn't do it right (if it's really inaccurate!).
    That made me LOL

Craftsman
    It started kind of funny but there are lots of good tips here, thanks all!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Clean it, size it and wear it - and check the timing over the first 24 to 48 hours.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Yeah habit of staring at it for hours on end, and my wife saying why don’t you look at me like that

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app