closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lucky Escape

Lucky Escape

I was making coffee this morning and decided to give my Explorer a wash and brush up in the sink, with some carex and the child's toothbrush set aside for watch baths. Lucky I did, as I saw this.

This fellow was making his bid for freedom and had very nearly succeeded, surely with dire consequences had he done so. He's back in there with a tiny dab of medium strength blue loctite (242) applied. His friends were also given a wee tweak.

Check your links people!

Master
    Wise words - phew!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

the beauty of regular maintenance/cleaning , being a sado I wipe my watches down with wipes before I put them away in the case when switching watches in a rotation ,

good catch:-)

I had the same on my Sub bracelet in the week. It was just peeking out though and I spent all day worrying and looking down to check it hadn't gone completely. I coudn't wait to get home and sort it.

Funnily, the Doxa did the same two weeks ago. I think these are the first two times I've had screws come loose on bracelets

Master
    Off to check my watches ......

Had a near miss myself a while ago. That's the end of the bar sticking out, the small threaded part at the other end had come off, never to be seen again. I was wearing it when I noticed. All Loctited up now.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    That's pretty worrying.

It makes you wonder how many watches have been lost this way.

scooter

Master
    I've had this happen too, but I just screw it back in...

Is Loctite 242 the one to use? I've just done some research and 222 (or 221) is the low strength version and is actually used by Rolex/Rolex ADs themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post

Is Loctite 242 the one to use? I've just done some research and 222 (or 221) is the low strength version and is actually used by Rolex/Rolex ADs themselves.
    I used 242 as it's the mildest one I have in the house. It's medium strength and I've found it to be easily untightened. I used the merest dab - so I should be fine. I'm sure low strength would work just as well. Red locktite is NOT recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post

I use 222 and it's been fine.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I remember vagely a sick story of one TZ member who almost lost his VC overseas because of some loose screws.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I used 242 as it's the mildest one I have in the house. It's medium strength and I've found it to be easily untightened. I used the merest dab - so I should be fine. I'm sure low strength would work just as well. Red locktite is NOT recommended.
    242 should be dead on. If you find you’re needing undue force if/when loosening, just apply a little gentle heat from a hairdryer...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does your child know your using his/her toothbrush to clean your watch?

I don't have any watches with screw fittings but always fancied one. I'm not sure now. However I have seen a pin do the same thing.
    Looks like thread lock is the way to go and maybe not for the odd screw that makes a bid for freedom but undo each one on the bracelet and add a dab to each screw?

My thinking is the same person who last assembled it tightened all the screws and possibly to the same tension.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    A cocktail stick is a handy implement to add the loctite to the screw.
    Loose screws happen a lot with glasses as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
    Does your child know your using his/her toothbrush to clean your watch?

LOL - there is a specific child's toothbrush, there is no child. The brush has very soft bristles and a small head which makes it perfect for getting into the Easylink and other parts of the clasp. £3 or so from the supermarket.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    A cocktail stick is a handy implement to add the loctite to the screw.
    Loose screws happen a lot with glasses as well.
    Been there.Lens popped out slid down My face and rested in the bottom of full face crash helmet lol

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    Been there.Lens popped out slid down My face and rested in the bottom of full face crash helmet lol
    Been there too. Happened on my bike and while driving the car. If only I could face using contacts.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Must be the week for it...... exactly the same thing happened to me on Wednesday.

Had the same thing happen to me, noticed it on a flight, if I missed it I would have probably lost the watch. Once landed, I then proceeded to remove all the screws and screw them back with locitite thread lock and its been fine since.

Bracelets introduce a dozen failure points. On the other hand a NATO strap adds no failure points and reduces the risk of loss from a pin failure. IMO bracelets are a really bad idea for a sports watch.

Master
    If you just gave the other a tweak you may have broke the bond on the threads, assuming you got some rotation on the screws.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app