closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: dentist. Crowns

dentist. Crowns

Morning all. Chipped one of my back teeth last week
    Went to see my dentist he said I need half or a full crown. Both the same price
    Shocked when he said £256 Never had to have anything done before and just paid for check up and pollish
    Is this a standard price in England ..?
    Andy

Master
    Yup, My son has just had one £300.

B

Craftsman
    Similar in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yup, My son has just had one £300.

B
    Was that private ?

£256 is cheap!

Master
    I would say that’s not particularly expensive.

NHS crowns start from £56.

Master
    Cheap- had a few crowns and all around £500 private

Craftsman
    My last one was £500. It sheared off just before Christmas & needed gluing back on. Because it sheared at the gum line, the dentist doesn't hold much hope of it lasting too long. Then I'm into serious money for an implant.

How long are they supposed to last for once done ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Seriously how long is a piece of string? all depends on other teeth ,an abscess occurring,gum disease etc as it is a back tooth and i presume as it is only chipped why do you need a crown?

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Seriously how long is a piece of string? all depends on other teeth ,an abscess occurring,gum disease etc as it is a back tooth and i presume as it is only chipped why do you need a crown?
    Cus it’s been filled when I was a kid
    Dentist said another filling wouldn’t hold

I had a crown done earlier this year - NHS band 3, £256.50

Highly recommended though. Wasn't sure whether just to have it taken out but glad I didn't

Blog Entries
    My dentist just quoted me £800! Not that I care as work insurance pick up the cost.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    NHS crowns start from £56.
    No they don't. NHS crown is a band 3 treatment. It costs £256.50. Not a penny more nor less.

Craftsman
    I have one still going strong which was put in in 1997. A second lasted 15 years before I wore the biting surface away , its replacement was a porcelain one which was in for 18 months before i sheared it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Morning all. Chipped one of my back teeth last week
    Went to see my dentist he said I need half or a full crown. Both the same price
    Shocked when he said £256 Never had to have anything done before and just paid for check up and pollish
    Is this a standard price in England ..?
    Andy
    I've been doing Dentistry for 36 years & Ive never even heard of a half crown before. Well apart from 2s 6d that is.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Guess what the price is for 2 NHS crowns.....£256.50 for both. Let's say you need 6 crowns....£256.50 for all 6. Consider that the laboratory fee for having a single crown made is around £100. Throw in a check-up, a couple of fillings, some x-rays, a scale & polish. The maximum you can be charged for the whole lot on the NHS is £256.50. Plus a lot of surgery time with it's resultant overhead, nurses wages, rent, materials etc. It's quite easy to lose money.

Andy - register with Cov Rd Dental practice
    They are nhs and brill
    You’ll save a lot of money
    They always take new clients

Near the swimming baths

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Guess what the price is for 2 NHS crowns.....£256.50 for both. Let's say you need 6 crowns....£256.50 for all 6. Consider that the laboratory fee for having a single crown made is around £100. Throw in a check-up, a couple of fillings, some x-rays, a scale & polish. The maximum you can be charged for the whole lot on the NHS is £256.50. Plus a lot of surgery time with it's resultant overhead, nurses wages, rent, materials etc. It's quite easy to lose money.
    I thought gold crowns were cheaper than white, no difference?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I thought gold crowns were cheaper than white, no difference?
    If a crown is provided on the NHS it's £256.50. That's the only price it can be.

Privately you can be charged anything. I personally charge £600 for a gold crown & £550 for a "white" or ceramic one. The gold crown that I fitted last week had a laboratory charge of £204. I pay about £140 lab fee for a ceramic crown. The actual job is similar for both types

I've been doing Dentistry for 36 years & Ive never even heard of a half crown before. Well apart from 2s 6d that is.
    I presume he means a crown that doesn’t go to the gum line.

Master
    Dentist in NL: front tooth crown EUR 1.000.

It sounds like you are better of at an UK dentist.

It’s a partial crown on an onlay he suggested I think ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Partial crown or onlay he said I think ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Probably means a 3/4 crown

Master
    Without wishing to pull the OP's thread off- topic (and also conscious of the "length of a piece of string" response) - what's the ball park figure for a molar implant?The figure my dentist mentioned would buy a good Speedmaster - and I know which I'd rather have

I know a speedy won't help masticate a sirloin, but the chrono could time how long it takes to do it using LHS only....

Probably means a 3/4 crown
    Cheers rob

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    Without wishing to pull the OP's thread off- topic (and also conscious of the "length of a piece of string" response) - what's the ball park figure for a molar implant?The figure my dentist mentioned would buy a good Speedmaster - and I know which I'd rather have

I know a speedy won't help masticate a sirloin, but the chrono could time how long it takes to do it using LHS only....
    I would look at going abroad. One of my friends went to India for dental work and saved a fortune. Another friend has recently had a set of veneers and went abroad via TUI of all places who organised it all for him! Top private dental practices in India etc still work ut far cheaper than the UK.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post

About 5 years ago my wife had two implants. That will be £6,000 thanks very much.

My mates mrs went to Budapest to have lots of treatment. Said it was loads cheaper then here Pleased with the results
    As well I believe

Master
    I had my new crown fitted last week and was charged £575 for the whole job. It replaced my previous one which lasted 18yrs with average care from me,it wasn’t completely knackered but the colour wasn’t a good match to my own teeth after all those yrs.
    And hopefully with a little more care and attention I can get 20+ yrs out of this one so overall good value in my opinion

Master
    Thanks guys - ether the Smurf sells or it's a trip abroad (maybe)

Craftsman
    Crowns are good.My dentist has fitted a nice one on Me. Very strong but You need to brush and floss vigorously to prevent gum disease around it

I had a very bad crown fitted, I’m sure he put the wrong one in, it never fitted or matched colour wise, had about 3 visits to get it ground down till it fitted but it then lasted 30 years, finally giving up last year. I’ll get an implant fitted at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Cheap- had a few crowns and all around £500 private
    Bargain.

Craftsman
    Wife is going through this at the moment... two implants, crown & bridge - looking at £5000. Yes, overseas is cheaper - but then you need to factor in flight costs, accommodation, and time off work (couldn't do this in a couple of days as work is done in stages and need some time to set in between - so either repeat visits or a long block...).