closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ducati 749S any real life experiences please?

Master

Ducati 749S any real life experiences please?

Hi all, thinking about taking the plunge on one of these and wanted to know if anyone has any experience. This will not be a garage queen btw, looking at using it as much as I can

Ducati 749S any real life experiences please?

Whatever negative points are raised, ignore them and just buy it, you’ll not regret it.

I’ve had a couple of Ducatis (900ss and 916bp) and remember them with great fondness in spite of their idiosyncrasies.

If you’ve only ridden Japanese previously, it’ll take a little getting used to though.

Many years ago I had a short ride on a 749 (Burnsey’s actually) and found it far more sophisticated than the 916.

Used to have a 748. Very revvy in character and it begged to be ridden hard. I presume the 749 is going to be similar.

But for real world use I actually preferred the 996. The torque was just delicious. Happy memories.

Whatever, any Ducati is a thing of beauty and pleasure. And, looked after, there should be no reliability problems at all. Go for it :-)

*Warning. Once you've tried a Duke, you'll be hooked. And whatever you do, don't look at the Performance catalogue!
    Last edited by Mouse; 9th February 2019 at 15:19.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Hi all, thinking about taking the plunge on one of these and wanted to know if anyone has any experience. This will not be a garage queen btw, looking at using it as much as I can
    You will not regret it. Should never have sold my 999s. One of the best bikes I have ever owned.
    Still have a honda SP2. Honda fireblade. Honda CBR600f and a Harley road king classic 1340.
    Would buy the 999s back in a breath if there was any room left in the garage.
    Solid investment.

Master
    Thanks fellas, it will be my first Ducati and my first bike for 10 years! I've just fallen in love with the looks alone. It's a 2005 and only covered just over 5K miles. I've just contacted the dealer for some haggling but I'm now completely sold on the idea.

Master
    That really is a very pretty thing, not just nice for a bike but a beautiful thing in its own right.

Master
    This is the bike I am looking at.

Master
    Im 5'6" and I rode my pals 749 for about 15 miles one summer evening. first impressions its drop dead gorgeous , and even better with its fairing off. so to the ride, imagine sitting on a race horse , head down arse up and feet in the stirrups. even at 5'6" I felt cramped, I was riding a BMW F650GS at the time which felt like an arm chair.
    I note someone commented on the engine lacking torque , I found the opposite it just rode on a wave of torque. its a long bike and my pal commented he couldn't lift the front wheel , and he comes from an enduro background where they live with the front wheel in the air.

The riding position for inflexible me meant with head so far down , my Shoei lid was right down and so my forward vision was affected. My pal said that under 60/70 mph his wrists ached so much due to the lack of wind pressure to take the strain off your wrists.

I always thought of it as a supermodel, lovely to look at fantastic with the kit off , but just try living with one...........

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Im 5'6" and I rode my pals 749 for about 15 miles one summer evening. first impressions its drop dead gorgeous , and even better with its fairing off. so to the ride, imagine sitting on a race horse , head down arse up and feet in the stirrups. even at 5'6" I felt cramped, I was riding a BMW F650GS at the time which felt like an arm chair.
    I note someone commented on the engine lacking torque , I found the opposite it just rode on a wave of torque. its a long bike and my pal commented he couldn't lift the front wheel , and he comes from an enduro background where they live with the front wheel in the air.

The riding position for inflexible me meant with head so far down , my Shoei lid was right down and so my forward vision was affected. My pal said that under 60/70 mph his wrists ached so much due to the lack of wind pressure to take the strain off your wrists.

I always thought of it as a supermodel, lovely to look at fantastic with the kit off , but just try living with one...........

Steve
    Thanks Steve, always good to get differing options although I seem to have inadvertently bought it now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Thanks Steve, always good to get differing options although I seem to have inadvertently bought it now!
    Good man I deliberated for two years , you have done it. Try it ride it, if you like it keep it , if not flog it you will have scratched the itch and not lost much.

steve

Never had a 749, but its bigger sister 999. Bought it when they came out in 2002, it replaced a 916 and was a huge step up both for engine as well as handling and brakes.

Unfortunately, my first series model was riddled with technical difficulties (Ducati almost went bankrupt over the quality problems of the initial 749s/999s), but the later models where reliable.

Fantastic bikes, you won't regret it. The legendary roar of my Termignonies is still a regular topic when I meet my bike mates these days.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Remember my 748 SPS well, sore wrists, bad back but wide grin.

Enjoy!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Nice looking bike.
    Hope you can bend your neck up enough to see the road.
    I test road the R model many years ago at ‘on yer bike’ between Aylesbury and Bicester.
    Can’t remember what bike I arrived on at the time.
    Had owned a 916, 888, 900ss, 750ss, ST4, ST2, 900 monster, 906 Paso and a few others before. So familiar with the breed.
    Anyway, found the riding position too extreme. I could not bend my head up enough to see the road.
    Went home and come back with a better fitting helmet. Didn’t help much.
    So gave up.
    Would have one in the hall if I could get away with it.

Blog Entries
    I’ve had an 748SP and a 1098S and would echo the comments above, look and sound epic and for short moments down your favourite country road they are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Used to have a 748. Very revvy in character and it begged to be ridden hard. I presume the 749 is going to be similar.

But for real world use I actually preferred the 996. The torque was just delicious. Happy memories.

Whatever, any Ducati is a thing of beauty and pleasure. And, looked after, there should be no reliability problems at all. Go for it :-)

*Warning. Once you've tried a Duke, you'll be hooked. And whatever you do, don't look at the Performance catalogue!
    I’ve a 748; I think they dialled back the screams after those in favour of a more “normal” torque/power balance.

Hard to beat the sound of a 748 at eleven and a half grand :)

OP - 749 is a great bike, no reason not too.