closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Four conflicts, four photos.

Four conflicts, four photos.

These photographs cross over more than half a century, yet have two common themes.
    They are all taken in times of conflict, and all feature wrist watches.
    The first shows staff of the 1st. Brigade of the Hazara Field Force, and were commanded by Colonel Sym of the 5th. Gurkhas.
    As you can see, three of the officers are wearing wristlets, with pocket watches held within them. The amazing thing about this photo, which I found in 2014 whilst searching for the earliest ever photo of men wearing a wrist watch, is it is from 1888! For some time it was the earliest known such, until two more were found from 1879.

The second is an albumen print owned by me, and shows officers resting in camp. The gent seated far left is wearing a wristlet on his left wrist, the one reclining far right is wearing one on his right wrist.
    This is a rare photograph from the Boer War, circa 1900.

The third is a photo postcard I also own, popular with serving men in wartime.
    On the rear is written "John W. Davis", with no message or address. I can only assume it was never sent for some reason. It is from WW1, circa 1917. I have an advert for the watch he is wearing that dates to this time.

The last is a group of special forces operatives known as "Pathfinders". These men are synchronising watches prior to a night drop, Circa 1942.
    More about the pathfinders: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinder_(military)

Thanks, Bob.

Circa 1898-1900.

Circa 1917.

Very interesting shots, ta for posting. Here's a picture from 1919, from the marvellous Shorpy archive. The following is a shot from 1918 that you may like, of a lady baking, wearing what looks to be a pocket watch in a leather wristband, here

If you click the links, then click the image you'll see a very detailed enlargement, the product of the very large plate cameras used then.
    F.T.F.A.

Thanks Bob, great pics.
    I have hundreds of old watch pics, right back to the 1880's. Funny,romantic, weird and sad.
    Here are two brave lads from WW1.

Haig, thought by many never to have worn a wristwatch.

Craftsman
    I don’t know if it’s true but I was told some of the older men during the First World War were quite resistant to wearing wrist watches .They thought it a bit effeminate. being bought up with fathers who wore pocket watches I suppose