closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine fuelled purchases on eBay

Wine fuelled purchases on eBay

So the wife is away for the weekend so a cheeky bottle (or 2) of Malbec has been enjoyed. Next thing I know this has been purchased.

Thankfully, this can be hidden from 'her indoors' with a cheeky collect from the local argos. It'll be my dirty secret...

Anyone else suffer from this affliction and what was your last drunk (watch) purchase?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Very nice - is that the 35mm or 38mm? They certainly wear larger than their dimension suggest due to the fantastic integrated bracelet. I had a black (very dark grey dial) version a number of years ago. I believe that is the quartz model and if you push in the crown, the date moves to show the month and if I recall correctly, whether it is a leap year?

To answer your question, yes I made a drunk purchase quite a few years ago for a Tag Aquaracer which I took a bath on a few months later

Journeyman
    Yes. Not quite in that league but picked me up a citizen NY0040 from amazon. Delivery to the newsagent near work. She will never know (well maybe)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Many years ago i fell into the "shopping after wine" trap and ended up with a very nice pair of sunglasses. I had no recall of this until they arrived in the post a few days later.
    So remember kids, don't drink and dial.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Very nice - is that the 35mm or 38mm? They certainly wear larger than their dimension suggest due to the fantastic integrated bracelet. I had a black (very dark grey dial) version a number of years ago. I believe that is the quartz model and if you push in the crown, the date moves to show the month and if I recall correctly, whether it is a leap year?

To answer your question, yes I made a drunk purchase quite a few years ago for a Tag Aquaracer which I took a bath on a few months later
    It's the 35mm Quartz. I believe HAQ and perpetual calendar, so interested to see this. I did have the 38mm automatic version. Loved it but found it wore a little too large.

Master
    Friend of mine bought a Rover P5B coupe in such circumstances. Luckily his wife loves it, and it's a really nice one.

Another friend was so drunk when he bought a 205 GTi many years ago, that he'd forgotten he'd done it. He had to be reminded (luckily he didn't have to drive it home).

Not really drunk, but several years ago I was humming and harring over buying a Voyager. After several weeks of this, and realising that the second batch of the initial release was close to sold out, I was in my local one evening and 4 pints loosened me up enough to order one.
    F.T.F.A.

Was on holiday in the Vosges area, got a bit pissed at the BBQ, and while my pal crashed out for a couple of hours - I kept drinking and looking on eBay.............

Put in an extremely close-to-winning bid on another motorbike, at around £5.5k.

I think I was beaten by a lucky £50

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    It's the 35mm Quartz. I believe HAQ and perpetual calendar, so interested to see this. I did have the 38mm automatic version. Loved it but found it wore a little too large.

Same size as my black one so almost identical. Mine was incredibly accurate, and unfortunately can’t find a photo of it

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Was on holiday in the Vosges area, got a bit pissed at the BBQ, and while my pal crashed out for a couple of hours - I kept drinking and looking on eBay.............

Banned myself off ebay when I have been drinking. Done it many times now.
    Bid on a planet ocean last night. I am still high bidder !

Grand Master
    Around 2004, when ebay was still in its early days, I used to buy watches off the German ebay site despite my v. limited knowlege of the German language. Late one night, after several beers, I found an auction for an Omega Dynamic which ended at around 1 in the morning. I had around 10 mins to translate the description, whilst calculating the price in sterling from euros. This challenged my inebriated brain to the full; I ended up winning the watch then fretting about the price, checking I’d got the exchange rate the right way around.

When the watch arrived I was surprised to find it had a blue dial. I’d seen ‘black’ in the description, assumed it was the dial.........the strap was black! The watch was OK, but it taught me a lesson.

Master

I'd been speaking with a client and discovered we both had Hondas in the '70s. I was in the kitchen one Sunday evening supping a cheeky Merlot when I got an e-mail from him with an eBay link and the message "if you don't buy this I will".

I should have ignored it, but when the wine's in the wit's out, so of course I hit the "Buy it Now" button. It was with a slight twinge of buyer's remorse that I arranged transport the next day from the south of England to the North East of Scotland.

After (re) purchasing the usual protective gear, insuring and taxing it. I took it on the road.... 5 times in 3 years ( and two of those were to the MOT station)

Now in a museum and when they give it back it will be on a Sales Corner near here

Nice Bike - Silly lad, (my biking days are over )

Master
    Don’t worry, I’m sure your wife will be delighted that you bought her a watch for Valentine’s Day.

Craftsman
    I put in a last minute silly bid on a three week old Honda 125 scooter back in 2006 on a drunken whim. I won it and then had to do a CBT before I could use it. Turned out alright in the end. Took my bike test and then traded up to a Honda 300 scooter for commuting on which I still have. In between though, I bought a Suzuki 650 scooter and then a Yamaha FJR1300. Used both bikes for half a dozen Euro trips - France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain & Italy with friends who had bikes. Sold the FJR a year ago but my mates went to Corsica last year. I flew out for £100 return, met them out there and hired a bike for £350. None of the 1000 mile slog to get there for me.

I've had a few surprises on a Sunday morning to see messages from eBay saying "You've been outbid" and not been able to remember either the bid I made nor the item I was bidding on.

Tickets to see the Who..........which is fine, but it wasn't to see them at the local dance hall, but rather the Hollywood Bowl.

To be fair, Mrs GB was totally complicit in all this as she had drunk as much as I had.

What should have cost a relative small amount ended up anything but.

I'm so glad I wasn't in to watches back when I used to drink a lot. That would have been an expensive time I've no doubt!

Apprentice
    Several purchases from big to small either fueled by wine or some other form of ETOH. Thankfully, haven't had to regret any of them.

Pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, egged on by the missus and lots of gin... few hundred quid later but tbh they are pretty decent! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stiglet View Post
    I'd been speaking with a client and discovered we both had Hondas in the '70s. I was in the kitchen one Sunday evening supping a cheeky Merlot when I got an e-mail from him with an eBay link and the message "if you don't buy this I will".

I should have ignored it, but when the wine's in the wit's out, so of course I hit the "Buy it Now" button. It was with a slight twinge of buyer's remorse that I arranged transport the next day from the south of England to the North East of Scotland.

After (re) purchasing the usual protective gear, insuring and taxing it. I took it on the road.... 5 times in 3 years ( and two of those were to the MOT station)

Now in a museum and when they give it back it will be on a Sales Corner near here

That looks wonderful , the 400/4 was the epitome of Honda's sewing machine reliability and build quality. That bike will be very desirable when you come to sell as its small enough to park up and insure , but has a sprightly engine that will delight many a weekend born again rider, as long as you are not more than 6' then it all looks a bit out of proportion.

Steve

Beer +friend =YAX

3191c0f5 by David Brenchley, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Don’t worry, I’m sure your wife will be delighted that you bought her a watch for Valentine’s Day.
    Unfortunately not. Looking at my purchase with clear eyes, it looks like I've bought a 38mm again

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    That looks wonderful , the 400/4 was the epitome of Honda's sewing machine reliability and build quality. That bike will be very desirable when you come to sell as its small enough to park up and insure , but has a sprightly engine that will delight many a weekend born again rider, as long as you are not more than 6' then it all looks a bit out of proportion.

Steve
    Cheers Steve,

Yep I'm a 5'9'' short @rse so it was OK for me. My lads used it to ride round the garden. It was ultra reliable and the engine is smoother than a Rob Thomas smooth thing from the planet Santana. It's been languishing in Grampian Transport Museum for the last 3 years where it's been polished to within an inch of its life, leaving me with more garage space for other toys I neither need nor can afford.

It's a disease... like collecting watches

Master
    I haven’t needed alcohol to make my regrettable watch purchases. And one car too.

Master
    Wine doesn’t help but I’ve bought plenty of stuff I didn’t need over the years sober too.

Apprentice
    My favourite watch was purchased drunk on amazon, as was my second favourite!

Master
    This one was the result of ebay+return from pub.
    I managed to hide it from my missus then got a bit braver and had worn it a few times when we'd been out before she asked about it.I knocked a few £££'s off the actual price.
    Since then a tag and a hydroconquest have been bought with the same MO bar the alcohol Attachment 15890

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Banned
    I can't use being drunk as an excuse. Nearly bought a Seiko SBCM023 while drunk though, which in hindsight would have been a great choice as every SKX and Turtle I've tried since has been crap quality.

Master

I remember the 400/4's coming out around '75 ish. I was earning £14 as an apprentice engineer and there was no way i could afford one. I had to wait till '96 when i got interested in biking again.
    It was worth the wait, the handling was superb. It came out in era when Jap multis didn't handle at all but that was the exception.It had the same frame as the 250/360 and they didn't handle either.
    Mine was an F2 like the one in the pic and the same colour.
    Last edited by RD200; 12th February 2019 at 13:12.

I've bought a Breitling cap and never tried to put it on my head ;)

I bought my Speedmaster Pro in a hotel bar after a second pint of Weissbier when bored on a work trip.

To be fair, I'd been looking for one for a while, but it was a bit of a rash purchasing decision at the time.

Luckily not one I've come to regret.

As a few others here, my rash eBaying isn't usually drink dependant!

M

I've bought quite a few watches after a night on the sauce, one particular Omega diver was a very good buy!
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Not a watch, but I bought a stuffed stoat on eBay when drunk with memory of it. Was interesting opening that box I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Not a watch, but I bought a stuffed stoat on eBay when drunk with memory of it. Was interesting opening that box I tell you.
    Thread closed.
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Also should say no memory of it*

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    You've won!!!

Meth fuelled

Seem to have a thing for those klm delft houses after a bottle of red or two. Bidding on 5 right now.

If anyone has any with seal still intact......

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Got a box of them, I think - sure most will have seals intact.

Will check the numbers.

Got a box of them, I think - sure most will have seals intact.

Will check the numbers.
    Very kind of you. My wife is going to love you, lol

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

That’s some deal!

Master
    You've won!!!

...Indeed, a stoater !

Master
    No watches here but a £700 Lance Armstrong exercise bike (because my wife had said it was a bad idea!) & an MX5 many moons ago.

My now boss woke up after a long session & was called by the garage with whom he'd spent £15k online on a Seat Leon Cupra R....... in bright yellow! Never failed to spot that one in his station cark park.

That 400/4 is just lovely. I did something similar around 5 years ago with this one. Friday night and wine I will hold my hand up. It was £500 and in a pretty sorry state when I got to examine it. It kicked me off down the road of a full restoration and it's gone far beyond totting up what it has cost. I'm still tinkering and throwing money at it to this day. Did I learn my lesson? err no. Two years later I bought another one for 'spares' and ended up putting that back on the road too.

Master
    Cheers, nice CB200 also. I always thought that the padded strip down the centre of the tank was a nice touch.

My mate had one and it was fun to ride - and more reliable than the CB250 K0 I had at the same time (like below - borrowed pic) . Mind you it was only unreliable because I thrashed it to within an inch of it's life so it ate piston rings. It also had a habit of jumping out of first on full throttle. Engine out / gearbox apart and a 15p shim solved that one!

Wine fuelled purchases on eBay

The wife and I (we’ll get really) decided to try and book tickets to Glastonbury one drunken evening. Fortunately they were sold out!

I also mistakenly bought a ZRX1100 off eBay but wasn’t actually drunk at the time.

Cheers, nice CB200 also. I always thought that the padded strip down the centre of the tank was a nice touch.

My mate had one and it was fun to ride - and more reliable than the CB250 K0 I had at the same time (like below - borrowed pic) . Mind you it was only unreliable because I thrashed it to within an inch of it's life so it ate piston rings. It also had a habit of jumping out of first on full throttle. Engine out / gearbox apart and a 15p shim solved that one!

I think there's a whole generation of guys of a certain age who cut their teeth on these Hondas. Mine was a CD175 back in the day. Talking of North East Scotland, it's where my CB200 came from. I have the original number plate showing it came from Pittenweem.

You've won!!!

I thought that looked familiar!

Master
    I've gone 2 for 2 purchasing full size Steinhart Ocean 1s whilst under the influence, the drink clearly made me forget that the lug to lug width is far too big even for my wrists.

I've yet to try the 39mm variant so that's on the list for next time I get Oliver Twist