closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega battery change

Omega battery change

Mrs Draft’s favourite watch in her small collection has been a stainless Constellation and she hinted that she would quite like its two tone rose gold and steel sibling with diamond dial. So when I saw just the thing in the Omega shop at Gatwick departures in early December I picked it up and presented it to her for Christmas. It’s a quartz model which will save those pre- going out “can you just set my watch?” interludes.

She loves it, but in mid-January the battery died. We’re back in London next week. Given that the battery lasted barely six weeks after purchase I think it would be reasonable to take it to one of the Omega Boutiques and expect a replacement fitted with no charge. Any idea if they will do this? I’d assume that it would be a five minute “around the back” job? Does anyone know if the Royal Exchange outlet has a “man around the back”?

Thank you!

Master
    You are right to feel entitled to a new battery, buck shee. Can't help with your other questions, sorry.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Mrs Draft’s favourite watch in her small collection has been a stainless Constellation and she hinted that she would quite like its two tone rose gold and steel sibling with diamond dial. So when I saw just the thing in the Omega shop at Gatwick departures in early December I picked it up and presented it to her for Christmas. It’s a quartz model which will save those pre- going out “can you just set my watch?” interludes.

She loves it, but in mid-January the battery died. We’re back in London next week. Given that the battery lasted barely six weeks after purchase I think it would be reasonable to take it to one of the Omega Boutiques and expect a replacement fitted with no charge. Any idea if they will do this? I’d assume that it would be a five minute “around the back” job? Does anyone know if the Royal Exchange outlet has a “man around the back”?

Thank you!
    I think you should certainly expect a replacement FOC. It would suggest it has been in stock for a number of years. Since you got it from an authorised retailer any OB would I think oblige and change it for you. To be on the safe side, take the warranty card or receipt so they can plainly see you have only had it a few weeks. They may be pretty embarrassed by this and should look after you well. It may be longer than 5 mins though as to do it properly they should pressure test it once fitted, more like 15m to half an hour maybe.

The batteries on some of the women's models are physically smaller and have less capacity than those on the full size mens models using the 1538 movement or similar. I would expect 6-8 years from a 1538 movement, maybe half that for a women's one.
    Last edited by Padders; 8th February 2019 at 09:37.

Blog Entries
    Don’t believe Royal Exchange have that facility - as it would need a pressure check machine too - they can adjust bracelets and sell you a watch seems their capabilities.

I’d head down to Bond Street Boutique instead. The phone numbers should be on the Omega website to check.

Martyn.

There is always the possibility it's something more than just an assumed battery failure, hopefully it is with a quick turnaround.

Craftsman
    My experience has been that they send it off to a service centre. A few weeks wait. Give them a call first to get idea

M I’d assume that it would be a five minute “around the back” job?
    That'll make a change from the usual 'I got bent over in the AD'. Would that involve a glass of champagne beforehand?

Grand Master
    Seems odd that the battery fails so quickly on a new watch. Can’t rule out the possibility of a problem with the movement, so it makes sense to get it checked properly using the correct test equipment. If the watch is eating batteries it needs sorting out and for that it’ll have to go to the service centre.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Seems odd that the battery fails so quickly on a new watch. Can’t rule out the possibility of a problem with the movement, so it makes sense to get it checked properly using the correct test equipment. If the watch is eating batteries it needs sorting out and for that it’ll have to go to the service centre.
    Cheers Paul. It’s a dinky little laydeee sized watch so my first assumption was that its correspondingly dinky battery has a two year life, and that it had been sitting in the shop for a long time. But I think you have a good point here.

Another vote for the Bond St boutique here - Royal Exchange are very helpful (I needed a replacement spring bar for my PO last week, and they happily handed over a new pair) but limited in what they can do. Bond St have a technician on site and were able to sort a bezel issue for me in about half an hour.

Cheers Paul. It’s a dinky little laydeee sized watch so my first assumption was that its correspondingly dinky battery has a two year life, and that it had been sitting in the shop for a long time. But I think you have a good point here.
    It’s most certainly an older battery, and just needs replacing. The chances of it being a quartz movement eating batteries on an unused new watch is just too remote for my logical brain.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It’s most certainly an older battery, and just needs replacing. The chances of it being a quartz movement eating batteries on an unused new watch is just too remote for my logical brain.
    I agree, it's unlikely, but my wife's quartz Omega needed a complete stripdown after only 7 years. Prior to this the battery life had shortened to under 1 year. It's all bout the oil drying up or going sticky, the resistance to turn the train wheel becomes too high and the watch won't run. My wife's was starting and stopping intermittently, appearing to lose 5 mins/day. As a 2 handed watch, the movement only 'moves' once every 20 secs so it's not easy to spot what it is or isn't doing.

The odds are that the battery just needs swapping, and the battery life will be around 2-3 years, but it's worth getting it checked if possible. Battery life of less than 12 months would ring alarm bells for me.