closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CWC G10 ill

Blog Entries

CWC G10 ill

Chaps,

I have a lovely 1980 un-ringed logo fat boy which I dug out yesterday to pop on a new Steveo para for a bit of wrist time but to my annoyance the watch had stopped. I have popped a battery in and alas it seems the problem is terminal.

So, questions questions, is a replacement movement easy to lay my hands on and any recommendations as to who could fit it.

Many thanks

Pitch

CWC G10 ill

If it was mine I would definitely get it sorted as they are quite valuable now.

I believe it has an ESA movement that is quite hard to get now, however I understand that there is an ETA that can be used.

I suspect it is quite a simple job.

However I know nought about such things so I would go to an expert.

The first reference on Olivier’s ON Atelier site is ‘CWC G10 Fatboy1980 Military Watch ESA 536.121- Service’.

Andrew Leftley at WorldTimeServices replaced a quartz movement on a later CWC for me.

Both Olivier and Andrew are excellent as are other watch repairers featured on the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Replacement is a 955.112 not too expensive either

Sometime they need a little clean and lubrication and the start ticking away again.

If you're going replacement movement route then ISA 1198 would be your best non original option, shares same dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Chaps,

I have a lovely 1980 un-ringed logo fat boy which I dug out yesterday to pop on a new Steveo para for a bit of wrist time but to my annoyance the watch had stopped. I have popped a battery in and alas it seems the problem is terminal.

So, questions questions, is a replacement movement easy to lay my hands on and any recommendations as to who could fit it.

Many thanks

Pitch
    The original G10 fat boy was fitted with an ESA 536.121 whose hand hole sizes are 1.5/0.9/0.25 with a stem height of 2.25 mm. These are the same as the ETA 2836-2 but as far as I know the only direct drop-in modern quartz replacement is the ISA 1198 which is the same size, has the same stem height but has hand hole sizes of 1.5/0.9/0.2. Consequently, your existing seconds hand won't fit.

As someone else in this thread observes, the original fat boy is becoming quite valuable now and so you would probably be better advised to get the existing movement serviced. That should be straightforward unless either the circuit or coil is damaged in which case you may then need to look for replacement parts or a complete replacement 536.121.

Martin

Master
    Talking of non-circled CWC fatboys from 1980. I've yet to see one with the Navy, Army, Air Force numbers on it
    ie. the 5552, W10 or 6BB
    Anyone know why this is ?

maseman

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman View Post
    Talking of non-circled CWC fatboys from 1980. I've yet to see one with the Navy, Army, Air Force numbers on it
    ie. the 5552, W10 or 6BB
    Anyone know why this is ?

maseman
    1980 was the transition year from mechanical to Quartz with both types being produced in this year. The last mechanical's supplied by CWC (approx 1800) were against an Army contract so do carry the W10 prefix to the NSN.

However as you say the Quartz don't have a Service prefix, so I can only assume they were like the much later Pulsar a tri-service contract, with the Army, Navy and RAF being asked to try out this 'new technology'.

My thoughts on it anyway.

Ed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    1980 was the transition year from mechanical to Quartz with both types being produced in this year. The last mechanical's supplied by CWC (approx 1800) were against an Army contract so do carry the W10 prefix to the NSN.

However as you say the Quartz don't have a Service prefix, so I can only assume they were like the much later Pulsar a tri-service contract, with the Army, Navy and RAF being asked to try out this 'new technology'.

My thoughts on it anyway.

Ed
    Makes sense, thank you.

maseman