closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BIG Question! What kinda straps do you like?

Apprentice

BIG Question! What kinda straps do you like?

Hey all,

I don't know if this is the right place for me to post this, and I hope I may, despite my youngbloud status.

I really want to become active in the watch industry myself, but I know that starting a watch brand a generous amount of capital is required, especially if you want to shy away from fashion watch type manufacture (e.g. MVMT) -- although the capital there probably isn't that great, as you can go the crowdfunding route. Nevertheless, very competitive.

So it got me thinking, so may I enter...

I was thinking straps, I think there's a great amount of variability still possible to be tapped in to. Especially when it comes to straps with a little more flair -- think graphic straps -- that are a little more eye-catching, less everyday, but fun.

I was just wondering whether I could get some of your guys' opinion on what you think about graphic straps, or what you guys would like to see more of, or would be more explorative and fun, when it comes to straps. I find, whilst you can really find some beautiful straps out there, you will most likely have to splurge (which is OK to if you've got the cash) BUT at the same time, these tend to be quite conserative and hold back a little when it comes to... hmm experimental style, let's say.

What kinda straps would you like to be able to purchase (more of?) what do you think is missing in the market?

Better quality, exotic materials, more colours? That kinda stuff. Or is there enough out there already?

Thanks all.

Looking to contribute to the world of watches in my own way!

Master
    I hate to answer a question with a question - but when you say 'graphic' straps - what do you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    I hate to answer a question with a question - but when you say 'graphic' straps - what do you have in mind?
    Same question here - I think you'll get more useful feedback when you present something you've made?

Grand Master
    for me, longer straps, and for my pal and fellow member Knog shorter ones!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Apprentice
    Hey, I'll post the link to one of the strap sellers who does do a great deal of graphic straps. That's VARIO (https://vario.sg/) and here are what some of them look like.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Same question here - I think you'll get more useful feedback when you present something you've made?
    Thing is, I haven't made anything yet. This is all in gestation for me. Currently still thinking about what I'd like to offer (if I finally do), but I figure it would be good to 'ask the market', as it were. Maybe people think this idea is silly. It's all a part of the product validation process, I assume.

On that note, some other straps that I do find quite noteworwthy, beautiful really, is if you look at this Oris strap (from the Hodinkee store)

I was thinking about starting with NATOs, as a stepping stone to 'bigger things', just because it would keep costs down. But the cool thing, obviously, is that NATOs allow a great deal with playroom when it comes to design, as leather straps (which I would be interested in adding design elements in terms of illustrations or patterns, too).

Furthermore, there's also a question of what price range I would want to position a product in. NATOs start quite low, which is nice for people who want to play around a lot which their watch style. But offering exceptional quality, which would punch above that, is something I would love to do, too. Not to mention, that I've heard people say wearing a £5 strap on a £3,400 Speedy. So strapping the Moonwatch to something that is more dear would feel more apt, feel better. How do you guys feel about that sentiment?

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    for me, longer straps, and for my pal and fellow member Knog shorter ones!
    I am guessing you are looking for longer straps due to a larger wrist size? Just wondering. I will keep that in mind :)

I really appreciate the feedback! Like I said, it's something I am thinking about and it will take time to crystallise. I have some other life stuff I need to finish currently anyway, so it's on the backburner (but moving forward!)
    Last edited by Dextrous; 8th February 2019 at 11:21.

Master
    Whilst not all of these designs are to my personal taste - some I quite like a lot.

I think the NATO market is very crowded - but usually with plains or stripes - so if you're going to enter it then you need to stand out. Either with the graphic designs - or offer a 'NATO' Alternative like Erika's Originals, or Haveston. Speaking from my personal viewpoint only - whilst I like the look of NATO's - I do find the extra bit you have to bend over rather annoying.

I think the 'bold' designs may need to start off cheap - to encourage people to 'buy and try' - but I also think there is one truth in your sentiment that some people will want a reasonably expensive watch for their very expensive watch - although you do sometimes see expensive watches on comparatively cheap NATO's.

I think the Cordura straps on the link you posted look good - maybe you could do a 'graphic' version of them?

Finally, I actually think a nice leather strap is hard to beat - so, maybe once you've come a bit more established maybe leather pyrography - or something similar - would be good for your 'top of the range' straps?

Apprentice
    Whilst not all of these designs are to my personal taste - some I quite like a lot.

I think the NATO market is very crowded - but usually with plains or stripes - so if you're going to enter it then you need to stand out. Either with the graphic designs - or offer a 'NATO' Alternative like Erika's Originals, or Haveston. Speaking from my personal viewpoint only - whilst I like the look of NATO's - I do find the extra bit you have to bend over rather annoying.

I think the 'bold' designs may need to start off cheap - to encourage people to 'buy and try' - but I also think there is one truth in your sentiment that some people will want a reasonably expensive watch for their very expensive watch - although you do sometimes see expensive watches on comparatively cheap NATO's.

I think the Cordura straps on the link you posted look good - maybe you could do a 'graphic' version of them?

Finally, I actually think a nice leather strap is hard to beat - so, maybe once you've come a bit more established maybe leather pyrography - or something similar - would be good for your 'top of the range' straps?
    KAS118 my man! Really appreciate your input!

I had the same trajectory in mind;

- encourange the purchase of 'bold/funky' by offering at a lower price range

- thank you for those two additional sites! I'm compiling a list of strap sellers - A LOT of the sites that hit first page on google are fairly outdated, shows there is room to grow. Also not having found ERIKA'S straps and Haveston shows there is room to grow in respect to online marketing (my feeling at least)

- I really DO like the cordura straps. They look sturdy and qualitative. Thanks for the pointer and thought on having graphics/patterns on those!

- In terms of leather I was thinking if you could get something similar to what a tattoo would look like (but simple patterns or Japanese style patterns) that would be pretty cool.

Thanks all :)