closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tablets

Master

Tablets

Currently I have an iPad Air 3, the screen has been cracked for a while and now it appears the chassis is bowing, the cracks also seem to be getting worse.
    So apple want roughly £330 to repair it.

So it's got me thinking about replacing it, the iPad is currently the only apple product in my collection, as my phone's are currently android and I've a 13" Dell laptop.

So what to replace it with?
    iPad pro 11"
    iPad pro 12"
    iPad air (2020)
    Galaxy Tab S7
    Microsoft Surface go

It needs to be capable of running on 4g and/or 5g due to use when travelling and working remotely, I've tried hot spots in the past but like the stand alone capabilities I've got currently.

I tend to use it for web surfing, emails, watching films, listening to music and basic office functions on MS office.

My initial thoughts are the iPad Pro 12" and the Tab S7 are too big especially when travelling but other than that I'm stuck.

Any useful information or recommendations or anything I've overlooked.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

For what you’re doing I’d say go with the Air rather than the Pro - it should be more than good enough and it’s a fair bit cheaper.
    I have a Surface Go and I like it a lot because it will do anything a normal laptop will, but I do tend to use the iPad Air more as it’s just quicker for simple stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ipad vote here too.

Up to yourself really re. Pro vs Air.

Have you got another old unbroken iPad you have lying around for trade in?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ipa...ign=2021-08-27

It recently bought a 4th Gen ipad 12.9” and I’m really impressed with it. Not sure what screen technology is in it but it’s a step up from my previous 2nd gen.

How about the SM-T865 Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 LTE (Amazon link)? It is only 4G but is slightly smaller that the S7, but otherwise it compares well (IMO)...see But the Galaxy Tab S6 is still a champ and What is the difference?

Edit: See this review link for "One area where the Galaxy Tab S6 really excels is its display" and other info.
    Last edited by PickleB; 27th August 2021 at 17:41.

Another vote from me for Samsung. Mine is absolutely indispensable.
    I never do get why anyone pays so much over the top for Apple products.

Get the Air, it’s more than enough and cheaper then a Pro…

You’ll need to go Pro if you want 5G.

Master
    5g isn't a deal breaker but it does need to be a stand alone device with its own SIM, which I've already got.

The Samsung do look good, I hope they have moved on in quality since the first Tabs as we had a few in the family and they all had issues, although the wife and daughter have had Samsung phones for a while and other than the battery life dropping significantly after a year or so of use they have been fine.

Blog Entries
    You could just get the screen replaced out of Apple, at £ 199:

https://www.ismash.com/collections/ipad-air-3-repairs

Master
    It's not just the screen but as the case as well, apple are charging £330ish for it.

I would recommend something non apple from the likes of samsung etc. I recently upgraded my ipad pro to a galaxy S7 + and it's absolutely amazing in comparison, oled screen, included s pen and super thin (5.7mm). Try and demo one for your self before you disregard it due to size.

Another thing to possibly consider depending on your usage is the screen ratio. On non apple tablets it tends to be more wide-screen aspect which leaves smaller black bars when watching video content compared to the ipads almost squarish screen shape.

I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago.

A friend pointed me toward this mega Amazon deal which is still current. It’s has to be the silver one, but it’s a great price.

It’s also a great machine and a massive step up from my old iPad.

2020 Apple iPad*Air (10.9-inch, Wi-Fi + Cellular, 64GB) - Silver (4th Generation) https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08J74...ing=UTF8&psc=1

If you look on CamelCamel you can see the price history of this model. It has been even cheaper in the past, but the current price is still very good.

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/produ...context=search

Id say the 4th gen Air is all you need really. The pro’s face recognition to open it would be nice but you soon get used to opening this one with its fingerprint sensor in the on/off switch.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Have you got another old unbroken iPad you have lying around for trade in?

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ipa...ign=2021-08-27
    Massive thanks for this tip! Just traded in a 16GB iPad 1

Sorry to jump on this thread, but there seems to be a few folk who are up-to-date-savvy on tablets.

I have an Ipad Pro 12.9 (4 yrs old?) with a decent storage capacity. But after ditching macbook and iphone - there are less reasons to keep Ipads.

Is there an alternative to Apple for that kind of spec/display resolution - now?

blackal, when it comes to tablets there is only one company to go with unfortunately.

Craftsman
    S7+ has similar or slightly higher pixel density. Also, the s-pen comes free. Depends, how invested you are with Apple & it's apps.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk