closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 2254 SMP bezel insert - swap

Omega 2254 SMP bezel insert - swap

I fancy trying a “Bond” style SMP insert (from the 2531, I think?) in my 2254, as not happy with the large font on the original.
    Do I take a punt on an eBay special, or are these reasonable to get hold of from somewhere more reputable?

And anyone modded a 2254 before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 8th February 2019 at 13:38.

Master
    I’d have thought if you just buying the insert the one you remove could easily become damaged

Not sure where your concern stems from Lewie - why would the insert get damaged?

Anyway, will trawl t’interweb for one later today.

Omega don't provide replacement inserts; they sell complete bezels.

From memory, the insert is secured/glued in all the way around & very easy to damage when removing, even with the bezel off the watch.

From experience, the eBay inserts are rubbish.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Not sure where your concern stems from Lewie - why would the insert get damaged?

Anyway, will trawl t’interweb for one later today.

This is a really bad idea. The risk of damage is high. The insert, which is not designed to be removed from the bezel shell is an interference fit and is made in the case of the 2531 and 2254 of soft aluminium vs the steel of the bezel shell. Unless you have the correct tools such as a puller, crystal press etc and are a dab hand, it is very easy to mangle the insert. Also the cheap ones available on Ebay are all fake and have tells such as wrong colour, font etc. If you want the look of the black bond bezel, it is best to buy a black bond bezel and swap that way. That too needs skill and the appropriate tool but is less likely to look crap or leave you with junk. These are not the same as Rolex GMTs where the insert is an easy swap.
    Last edited by Padders; 8th February 2019 at 18:35.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Check Ofrei for the bond bezel unit cheaper than UK sellers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Check Ofrei for the bond bezel unit cheaper than UK sellers.
    They don't actually have very much left these days, just like Cousins. Here is their bezel page, I cannot see the blue or black Bond bezels there:

http://www.ofrei.com/page663.html

In addition, you will get stung for VAT on anything bought from them so it isn't as good as it may sound.

Hmmm - ok, cheers. Wondered why I could not find a genuine Omega bezel insert anywhere earlier today.... so treat the bezel and insert like one thing. This makes it a considerably more pricy step, one would imagine.

Funnily enough - I feel myself getting used to the current font....

Grand Master
    I’ve seperated these inserts from bezels plenty of times, it has to be done to refinish the bezel. I press them out using dies of the correct diameter. Replacement is fairly easy, I usually press them back in with my thumbs after the bezel’s been refitted to the watch, this is the easiest way to get the insert aligned exactly.

I practiced on a scrap one to learn how to do it, if you’re not confident I wouldn’t advise trying it. When parts were readily available I was far more adventurous, if something got damaged I could always buy a replacement and soak up the cost, but nowadays I’m far more cautious and I’m reluctant to get involved in jobs I would’ve taken on before.

Getting the bezel off the watch can be a challenge, I have a special tool for it but even then they can be a struggle.

As for swapping the insert, I really wouldn’t do it, I can’t see how it’s going to be an improvement.

Cheers all. I am growing to like it, to be fair. The font looked massive but was coming from a little 39mm Lemania movement Fortis with tiny bezel font, and an old Breitling superocean with the same thing.....

I love the look of the modern SMP with the ceramic insert, and understand they are a straight swap - but also mega bucks to get and with this having the more tool-like painted indices think it might be a culture clash and look like a pricey dogs dinner!

I’ll live with it.... let it grow on me like dhobie itch