closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fake Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    It feels increasingly like the only place to safely buy a used Rolex is from Haywood's shop!
    Perhaps that is Haywood's secret ploy..... The "Superfakes" that he's making in his back office have got everyone going and now he can take over the world. A bit like Chief Inspector Dreyfuss!!

Craftsman
    - - -
    Last edited by lasz; 27th February 2019 at 13:42. Reason: peer pressure

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    And one less affordable house for someone trying to get on the property ladder.

Buy to Let is the same as employment agencies, vultures in their respective markets
    :)

Call me paranoid but I really don’t think that the comments should be made even in jest (as I know they are) in an open part of the forum.

Someone somewhere is bound to take it seriously which could be damaging to his reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Call me paranoid but I really don’t think that the comments should be made even in jest (as I know they are) in an open part of the forum.

Someone somewhere is bound to take it seriously which could be damaging to his reputation!
    +1

Craftsman

If there's any sort of consensus on this (I do think it's a bit paranoid), I'll gladly edit mine, as I'm a great admirer of Haywood and I'd hate to negatively affect his reputation - though I think in his case especially, that would take some doing ...

You are absolutely right. The comments are not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    If there's any sort of consensus on this (I do think it's a bit paranoid), I'll gladly edit mine, as I'm a great admirer of Haywood and I'd hate to negatively affect his reputation - though I think in his case especially, that would take some doing ...
    Well so far it’s three out of three against. Perhaps you should wait until it’s ten or twenty, or perhaps just edit it now?

Well so far it’s three out of three against. Perhaps you should wait until it’s ten or twenty, or perhaps just edit it now?

Make that four.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Hand wringing against capitalism on a forum dedicated to luxury items. Thats novel.
    And so is the book I'm reading.

Not anti capitalism at all, but it does irk me when it adversely effects others.
    Last edited by nunya; 27th February 2019 at 13:32.

Oh dear me. It doesn't increase demand, the demand stays the same, it is the supply that's restricted.
    I said "Restricting supply where there is already demand can have the effect of increasing demand." Thats' 1.) "where there is already demand" 2.) "can" (not will) and 3.) "have the effect of"

Please learn to read.

Wrong, all the current range are COSC certified, quote from Rolex "The green seal accompanying every Rolex watch is a symbol of its status as a Superlative Chronometer"
    You might be right but that's not what this says:

"Exemplar brands submitting to COSC

Rolex by far submits the largest number of movements to COSC followed by Omega, Breitling, TAG Heuer and Panerai. [25] Breitling submits all movements for certification, but other manufacturers only submit certain models."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC#O...COSC_certified

Master
    - - -
    Thankyou lasz. I understand completely that it was leg-pulling and it's a shame that we have to anticipate how idiots might read something out of context, but it could have been taken the wrong way.

Thankyou also to the gents looking out for me. A free Rolex for each of you *
    * would be lovely, but get real! Thanks all :-)

Craftsman
    Look, I'm not trying to be difficult, I see the reasoning behind this and I had edited it, but there having been no ill will in my comment, I don't think it would be unreasonable to continue to exercise my freedom of speech in good faith and within forum rules, which was the case here, until there's been some slightly wider consensus about the implications of my comment beyond the three most vocal - and possibly paranoid - posters.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Thankyou lasz. I understand completely that it was leg-pulling and it's a shame that we have to anticipate how idiots might read something out of context, but it could have been taken the wrong way.
    Don't mention it, Haywood - if that's how you felt about it, I have no problem at all, and thank you.

Look, I'm not trying to be difficult, I see the reasoning behind this and I had edited it, but there having been no ill will in my comment, I don't think it would be unreasonable to continue to exercise my freedom of speech in good faith and within forum rules, which was the case here, until there's been some slightly wider consensus about the implications of my comment beyond the three most vocal - and possibly paranoid - posters.
    Your responses are quite telling.

I’d have expected something along the lines of “thanks mate, I hadn’t seen it that way. I’ll edit it immediately!”

Craftsman
    Your response could be seen as equally telling. Just because a couple of people thought that some trivial thing I'd said as a joke potentially affected another member doesn't mean this is actually the case; in fact, I think it is very far fetched. However, as the fallout of this unlikely scenario would negatively affect someone else, I chose to edit my post to acknowledge that. But I refuse to be told off like a naughty child because I believe both the content and the intention of my words were clear and I continue to stand behind them. True, "I hadn’t seen it that way" - but just because I have come to do doesn't mean my action would automatically comply with what you would've had me do. You yourself suggested in the response to my comment that you may be overreacting - maybe you are, and continue to be.

Speaking of overreacting

And one less affordable house for someone trying to get on the property ladder.

Buy to Let is the same as employment agencies, vultures in their respective markets
    Yes, the UK housing market is as distorted and dysfunctional as the luxury watch market -- in different ways and for different reasons.

Both are less than full, free and fair; both suffer from greed and investors, both have pitfalls for the unwary, both may be in a bubble -- or at least unsustainable -- phase.

The trouble is people need houses, unlike watches. We have a chronic shortage and we're not building enough. Govt interventions (from selling off council houses to the help to buy scheme) have only made things worse.

I'm uncomfortable with residential property as an investment but, at risk of special pleading, I live in tied-housing (accommodation provided with the job) so I'm glad to be on the property ladder.

I think we may have found something we agree on so I'll stop posting now!

Wrong, all the current range are COSC certified, quote from Rolex "The green seal accompanying every Rolex watch is a symbol of its status as a Superlative Chronometer"
    Just checked. Seems the green seal is Rolex's own in-house thing ("Superlative Chronometer") and nothing to do with COSC.

And we were doing so well, too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Yes, the UK housing market is as distorted and dysfunctional as the luxury watch market -- in different ways and for different reasons.

Both are less than full, free and fair; both suffer from greed and investors, both have pitfalls for the unwary, both may be in a bubble -- or at least unsustainable -- phase.

The trouble is people need houses, unlike watches. We have a chronic shortage and we're not building enough. Govt interventions (from selling off council houses to the help to buy scheme) have only made things worse.

I'm uncomfortable with residential property as an investment but, at risk of special pleading, I live in tied-housing (accommodation provided with the job) so I'm glad to be on the property ladder.

I think we may have found something we agree on so I'll stop posting now!
    The main culprits are the baby boomers.

We have made an absolute fortune equity wise in the houses we are living in and hell of a lot of us are empty nesters living in four bedroomed houses. We wont give them up and that stifles the market.

The problem will slowly solve itself when we all start dying which is not that far away. We will drop dead in droves and the kids will inherit and the market will return to the first time buyers buying in at the bottom end rather than landlords.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The main culprits are the baby boomers.

We have made an absolute fortune equity wise in the houses we are living in and hell of a lot of us are empty nesters living in four bedroomed houses. We wont give them up and that stifles the market.

The problem will slowly solve itself when we all start dying which is not that far away. We will drop dead in droves and the kids will inherit and the market will return to the first time buyers buying in at the bottom end rather than landlords.

Perhaps the baby boomers are hanging on to their properties because the know that sometime in the future they will need to sell it in order to fund their care in the future, because their children won't.

But I am not sure what this has to do the rise in watch values. A better explanation of this might be demand, caused by a growing aspirational middle class. Which should be considered a good thing, especially if your parents used to work in a rice paddy or go to work on bicycle.

The value of anything is driven by supply and demand. As the demand for rare and desirable items, whether cars, paintings, antiques, jewellery , watches, etc, etc is greater then supply then Prices increase. However the biggest difference between cars and watches, and say antiques, paintings, etc is that they are NOT subject to CGT so they might be a better investment than a Picasso. Plus watches are small and can be moved across borders very easily - perfect if you are laundering money.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    ... hell of a lot of us are empty nesters living in four bedroomed houses. We wont give them up and that stifles the market.
    It was a special kind of genius for the government to stick a lot of sand in the works of the already inefficient housing market by increasing SDLT rates so significantly. In addition to legal costs you can lose a massive wedge just for the privilege of downsizing. There’s a reasonable case for subsidising downsizing not taxing it. Not working to make most efficient use of current housing stock is ridiculous.

Wow - looks like there's been a bit of a spending spree down at the Royal Arcade:

http://www.juelslimited.co.uk/pages/watches.html

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Wow - looks like there's been a bit of a spending spree down at the Royal Arcade:

It does indeed, I guess they’ll all not be available for inspection then...

Journeyman

Wow.

Something not right there at all.

Craftsman

Fake Daytona

Oh yes, that's a given. But also relatively easy. With respect, "every Tom, Dick and Harry" are doing it. The difference with Rolex is the aura of exclusivity they create (and this by a brand that churn out maybe a million watches a year; any scarcity is of Rolex's own choosing.)

Just to be clear: I never said, and do not think, it is OK.

Yes. It's about people agreeing to assign a worth to something that is in no way related to any intrinsic value (parts, labour, R&D, retail overheads, profit margins etc). It's a con trick that people knowingly and willingly collude with. See my earlier analogy with money.

I'm not worked up, I just see through it and don't wish to participate in it.

As an aside, I don't think that watches will hold their value in the long term simply because of demographics. An example: an old chap in my fishing club has a 1953 Velocette. He rides it to the club and it's in good, solid condition, regularly used and maintained. He was saying that its value rose steadily as the men who either had one for wished they'd had in the 1950s reached peak purchasing power -- and then declined as they got too old to ride and even sold the ones they'd bought.

Do you think people who've never grown up with wristwatches, much less mechanical wristwatches, will want to spend a large sum on one in 10, 20, 40 years' time? Maybe, but as jewellery / status symbols / collection pieces.

I'm 47 years old. I want a pension in 15-20 years' time. I'm not investing in watches.

£100k = decent collection of Rolex watches. New and/or old. Chronos, divers, whatever. Some classics (1016? 5513?), box and papers? Nice to wear and look at. Not much in the way of on-going costs (insurance? servicing?). And hope the value continues to rise to make it a good investment.

-- or --

£100k = buy-to-let property = £500 pcm rental income + outright ownership of a real, habitable bricks and mortar house. Even if the house ended up worth the same or even a bit less than you paid for it you're still up on the deal. And you can live in it.

But I've said all this before: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...phics+property
    Deleted after reading the rest of the thread

Rev-o, I think you completely wasted your time with Nunya on this subject

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimmer42; 4th March 2019 at 07:41.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmer42 View Post

Rev-o, I think you completely wasted your time with x on this subject

That's the story of my life! :-D

I've just sent them an email:

To: info@juelslimited.co.uk

Just wondered if you’d seen this and would care to comment?

I’m a firm believer in the right to reply and it may be that all your watches are genuine

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...3-Fake-Daytona

Regards

Oliver

Edit: it seems to have bounced back?

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

save to /maildata/mail1/095/da6/juelslimited.co.uk/info/Maildir/
    generated by info@juelslimited.co.uk
    mailbox is full: retry timeout exceeded
    Reporting-MTA: dns; smtp2.hostingweb.co.uk

Action: failed
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;/maildata/mail1/095/da6/juelslimited.co.uk/info/Maildir/
    Last edited by Rev-O; 4th March 2019 at 11:34.

Edit: it seems to have bounced back?

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

save to /maildata/mail1/095/da6/juelslimited.co.uk/info/Maildir/
    generated by info@juelslimited.co.uk
    mailbox is full: retry timeout exceeded
    Reporting-MTA: dns; smtp2.hostingweb.co.uk

Action: failed
    Final-Recipient: rfc822;/maildata/mail1/095/da6/juelslimited.co.uk/info/Maildir/
    It doesn’t just seem to, that’s a fatal error. The mailbox is full and no new messages are being accepted.

Clearly someone’s no longer even using the mail account. (And anyone but an idiot would give a general contact address like info@ a huge allocation of disk space.)

Journeyman
    This is terrifying... Preowned is seeming less safe by the day!!

Apprentice
    Thanks for the information. Now I will be more careful to buy.

Master

Just shows the power of publicity on TZ!! The sort of advertising money can't buy!

Journeyman
    That dial looks way off to me, I’m no expert but that seems pretty obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Apologies for the slight thread hi-jack, but it seems fairly relevant! Does this look like a replica and if so, what stands out to you? Someone is passing it off as genuine. They may well be right for all I know!

Master
    Compare to better image?

https://www.chronext.co.uk/rolex/cos...16515ln/V23444

Appears on many replica sites as well!
    Last edited by g40steve; 2nd April 2020 at 17:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonimouse View Post
    Apologies for the slight thread hi-jack, but it seems fairly relevant! Does this look like a replica and if so, what stands out to you? Someone is passing it off as genuine. They may well be right for all I know!

Is that a rose gold Daytona chocolate ?

Craftsman
    Definite fake, then?

Master
    Definite fake, then?
    If your question is serious I have Daytona Rose Chocolate face and can post some photos if you want to compare?

Craftsman
    It probably is a fake, but I haven’t owned a Daytona myself and I cannot see any obvious tells, other than a really dirty crystal! Apologies if I’m coming across as naive. I’m a genuine contributor on here and have bought/sold watches via the sales page ... :)

This isn’t my watch, btw.

Master
    It probably is a fake, but I haven’t owned a Daytona myself and I cannot see any obvious tells, other than a really dirty crystal! Apologies if I’m coming across as naive. I’m a genuine contributor on here and have bought/sold watches via the sales page ... :)

No problem. Happy to take some photos if you want to compare.

From a glance, the fitment of the strap to the body looks very poor, face is obviously dirty which is an odd way to sell a watch, the text on the four lines underneath the crown looks uneven ( print weight), shoulders looks marked and the screw downs do not look well defined. But it’s a poor photo!

Apprentice
    That picture is terrible quality, but to me it looks like the lume on the hands might be off. It doesn’t seem to in the right location compared to the clearer photo in the link above