closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unimatic U2 : a genuinely unique watch?

Master

Unimatic U2 : a genuinely unique watch?

Just took delivery of a Unimatic U2-C and thought some of the good folk at TZ might be interested by it. I must admit I'm much more taken by this watch than I expected.

https://www.unimaticwatches.com/u2-c/

I bought it on a whim, fully expecting not to like it, but sufficiently intrigued to take a punt. Turns out it was a good punt.

It's an odd watch, and I can genuinely say I'm not aware of any other that looks like it, which in itself makes it pretty special.

The most obvious (and contentious) feature is the case.

The lugs are not curved towards the wrist, but sit along the centre line of the case, with the effect of raising the lugs above the wrist.
    It has a sort of UFO silhouette. The closest shape I can call to mind is that of the Panerai Radiomir, but even that is less "extreme' than the Unimatic.
    It also bears a passing resemblance to the Rolex James Cameron Deep Sea Challenge , albeit a much smaller and less bulbous version.

I was highly dubious as to how it would wear. It shouldn't sit well, given the shape, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it does, lying flat on the centre of the wrist and not wobbling around or sitting at an odd angle on my sticky-out bits.
    The closest feeling is that of a Rolex 36mm Explorer. From head on it has a pretty close resemblance, and size wise it's similar (it's actually 38.5mm w/o crown, but wears small IMO). From all other angles, it really looks like nothing else.

As for the dial, I went for the most simple variant, which is sort of charcoal colour, with vintage lume and a gilt chapter ring. Very vintage, very simple, and IMO perfectly proportioned. The Unimatic logo is very discreet at 6 o'clock, and the empty space at 12 just emphasises the simple elegance of the design.

The case itself is nicely finished, with sharp (but not too sharp) edges and just the right grade of brushing on all surfaces. Time will tell how it copes with scratches.

The double-dome sapphire has the perfect bulge to it, and blends nicely into the bezel.

It has a lovely big crown and a very smooth action to winding an setting.

The movement is a Seiko NH35A, an unspectacular but perfectly acceptable and reliable workhorse. I haven't paid much attention to accuracy, but I expect it to be acceptable without being mind-blowing.

I tried a bunch of different straps on this, but I ended up going back to the OEM one that came with it, which is very unusual for me. I tried a Marathon RAF-style one piece nylon in sand, an Erika's Original MN in vintage brown/red, and a raw brown suede, but none of them suited as well as the sand nylon/canvas that came with it. It also comes with a rubber strap in the box, but I'm not a fan of rubber straps and haven't tried it.

Gripes? I have two.
    1) It's basically impossible to look at or photograph the watch without reflections. The combination of double domed sapphire and single-sided AR means that ALL nearby light sources are simultaneously reflected back at you.
    2) There's no date (that's not the gripe). As far as I can tell, none of the Unimatic watches have a date. So why use a date movement? There's a non-date version of the NH35A (the NH38A) so why not use that? It just feels sloppy, and that unnecessary extra stem position winds me up (geddit?)

But that's nit-picking. I'm happily surprised at how much I like this watch, and I already know it'll be getting a much larger share of my rotation than it's £350(+VAT) price would suggest.

Thanks for reading, enjoy a few photos. They're not Jocke or LTF quality, but hopefully they give an idea of what it's like.

The case shape seems similar to some VDB watches.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    The side profile of the case reminds me a WWI tank. That being said I think I like the relatively clean / plain design.

Master
    The dial looks like it's "inspired by" the Tudor Black Bay Red

Master
    Terrible side profile........IMVHO

It's different. I like different.

Nice watch, great review.

Whilst they take some dial cues from obvious sources, in general I think Unimatic make striking watches, with strong, uncompromising designs - they have their own distinctive ‘thing’, which I appreciate as not easy to achieve.

Quite ruggedly ‘industrial’ though, with little finesse (which I suppose is equal parts a product of price point & deliberate design).

The big crown & domed crystal make that watch, and the OEM strap works very well.

For full disclosure, I bought one of their U1-E models released last year (now sold out). Great watch, like it a lot, but not sure how long it’ll stay in a collection with a few black-dial divers already. I do really like the limited production numbers though, with exact designs never to be repeated, and which gives me pause for thought re selling.

Apprentice
    It is different for sure but not my cup of tea.
    I do have a Unimatic 1e which is a totally different watch and I enjoy wearing it once in a while.

Nice review of a watch I really like , thanks for posting .

Well that’s one of the wierdest watches I’ve seen for quite some time

I think I like it!

Unimatic U2 : a genuinely unique watch?

Thanks for sharing this review and the pics. I find myself browsing the Unimatic website every once in a while and this watch has always stood out. I think it looks great, although I prefer the looks of the U2-B.

The review helps to assuage some of the fears that the case shape would make the watch unwearable, so all of a sudden it’s more tempting!

after reading this

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.co...ic.php?t=64704

will make you to want to open the caseback and see whats inside

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    after reading this

will make you to want to open the caseback and see whats inside
    Hmm... interesting reading... the watch is advertised with a Seiko mov... it depends whether the case was constructed for the Miyota or the Seiko mov.
    Last edited by abraxas; 7th February 2019 at 13:51.

Journeyman

Talking Unimatic U2-C

I bought the same model, Unimatic U2-C, two weeks ago and love it. It was a gamble as I had the same concerns about the case and how it would sit on the wrist, and the first time I tried it on I thought I might have to send it back. But I persevered and have got used to it. I prefer small watches generally (I have a 7.5 inch wrist) and only have one other large watch, also a diver. Compared to my Tudor Black Bay Black, the Unimatic does sit up from the wrist, and is less comfortable. I am wearing it on the rubber strap as I didn't like the tan coloured one it came on, and the rubber is very thick and substantial, and yet, overall, the watch still looks quite small due to the relatively small diameter. I love this watch for the simplicity of the dial and the superb ruggedness as I was after something I can wear camping and kayaking without worrying about messing up. It fits the bill perfectly and manages to be both weirdly unique (case shape) and regularly standard (simple dial). Can't take it off at the moment.

Master
    Yep, I’m still enjoying mine. Wear it a lot.
    The only problem is straps, nothing really seems to suit it apart from the OEM (which I guess is a good thing in a way), but I’d like to put leather on it and so far have only found one which works, a grey vintage suede one. Grey/tan seems to suit the watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks great. Price is very affordable.

I think this is a classic "Marmite" watch. Personally I think it is yummy!

I think the case owes quite a lot to the military Candino watches made for the Swedish army.
    So originbal yes, but not totally.
    D

Master
    I like it 👍

That is strangely compelling. Weird, but in a good way.

I like it but don't want it - those upturned lugs would eat my brain
    Gray

thanks for this, im intrigued by this brand. saw a guy at my gym wearing one, and it looked really good.

Master
    I went to the website and very nearly bought that, but then I looked in the 'Archive' and there were some I liked even more (e.g. the U1-D) so I thought I'd sit and wait for something more similar to that in the future. An intriguing brand for sure.

Master
    Quite like that although the sharp edges will presumably collect dings (and probably give a few to anything they knock against).

Definitely not "unique" though, there's another one on their website.

Grand Master
    What's the back all about, it kind of tries to talk about mils and ranging, but doesn't mention it?

Master
    Some sort of range finding technique apparently. Not sure what it has to do with the watch, and a bit over fussy imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    What's the back all about, it kind of tries to talk about mils and ranging, but doesn't mention it?
    Milliradian scale.

I won’t pretend to be au fait with the maths theory, but basically covering a distant target with the varying widths of a finger / fingers / palm / splayed hand, which equate to a particular mrad value (noted alongside the finger/hand widths on the case back) - once you know that value, then you can establish either the size of or distance to the target using a formula i.e. if you know a target in the distance is a certain size, and know the mrad number from measuring against finger(s) width, you can approximate the distance to the target. Sort of thing the military might need to know, but they have way more hi-tech methods to use, scopes etc.

Fairly useless, to be sure, but still more interesting than the usual bland case backs other brands have.

My U1-E had a handy distance conversion chart.

I’ve just sold it though, which I’m regretting a little. Such cool watches.

Was this on kickstarter a few months ago? It looks like something i saw over there.

A bit too large for my taste, but looks like a quality piece with an affordable price tag.

Is it just me who thinks that the Unimatic U2 looks like the 1960 Rolex Deep Sea?

The Rolex Deep Sea Special Story
    http://rolexpassionreport.com/5950/t...r-dss-display/

An original on the wrist.

Not all that unique, there's lots of fugly watches out there.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I really like it!
    Something different to the norm is a good thing.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Waiting to get mine..... will be cool to see more options of other possible straps....

I woykd not trust unimatic after what they did last year

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Great shots

I love this watch. I've had it 6 months now from my earlier post and it gets a lot of wrist time. I had similar reservations about how it would sit and, similarly, thought it worth a punt anyway because it was just so wacky. The simplicity of the dial is gorgeous. It wears small looking straight down, as you say, and the case shape inevitably means it sits up on the wrist. This takes a moment or two to adjust to every time I put mine on, but I get there very quickly because there is so much to like about it. Mine is on a Barton silicone strap. I couldn't get on with the shiny cordura style (like on yours) and the rubber which came with it was so thick it pushed the watch off the wrist - not good on a watch with this much presence. The Barton perfectly matches the watch in my opinion and keeps it pretty flush on the wrist. My preference is for small watches - I have 7.5inch wrist and mainly wear 36-38mm - so I worried that the chunkiness of this weird case would be an issue. It is weird; it just isn't an issue. Great shots btw (OP madeofcheese).

upload

upload
    Last edited by Calumets; 8th October 2019 at 10:17.

Craftsman
    would the fact that it has the date complication but no date window be a potential bigger issue?
    e.g. most movements require the date is not set between certain hours around the date change, to prevent damage.

If there is no date, one may not think about this and inadvertently do damage to the movement, unless the watch maker has the date mechanism permanently disengaged on the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    would the fact that it has the date complication but no date window be a potential bigger issue?
    e.g. most movements require the date is not set between certain hours around the date change, to prevent damage.

If there is no date, one may not think about this and inadvertently do damage to the movement, unless the watch maker has the date mechanism permanently disengaged on the watch.
    Doubt they’d be a crown position to adjust date.

Master
    I'd say that's pretty unlikely to happen. You have to pull the crown out to 2nd position to get the seconds to hack, so not sure why you'd be fiddling with the crown if not to set the time, and therefore would go to 2nd position anyway.

It's not a rare thing, plenty of cheaper watches do it (presumably they source the cheapest most available movement which may be a date movement) and I'm not aware it being a particular issue.

With regard to the Seiko/Miyota "controversy" I have to say I don't really care. Both are good movements, the watch is pretty cheap anyway, and certainly my movement doesn't move around when the crown is out, so not an issue for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doubt they’d be a crown position to adjust date.
    There is. The crown goes to Pos. 1 and Pos. 2

Although why you'd put it in pos 1 eludes me. You have to put it in Pos 2 to hack it.

Master

A really nice review from Watchfinder (with some great macro footage)

I woykd not trust unimatic after what they did last year

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
    Not heard what they did last year. What was the problem? (genuine question, not trolling).

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    Not heard what they did last year. What was the problem? (genuine question, not trolling).
    here you are

Journeyman
    I quite like the simplicity. Nice size too

Did unimatic step in to salvage?

Quote Originally Posted by emstudio View Post
    From that, not sure what there was that really needed salvaging. Seems a bit of a storm in a teacup TBH.

Banned
    Unimatic is the PRS40 guy right? That's the only thing that comes close to unique from him but it's Eddie's now.

2 things I've taken from this thread are don't buy a Unimatic and the Toxic Natos guy is an idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

No.

Master
    I like it!

I have the 2018 U2 and pretty much wear it every day.
    Solid construction and unique field watch design - they are great watches IMO
    I like the fact they are limited edition and pricing is decent for the amount of watch you seem to get

Blog Entries
    Their response to someone (confirmed by them on Facebook) was "haters gonna hate". See http://www.thedivewatchconnection.co...67831#p1267831

Not the kind of response I would have hoped to see. An explanation of the mismatched case versus movement might have been more appropriate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    Unimatic is the PRS40 guy right? That's the only thing that comes close to unique from him but it's Eddie's now.
    That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Master
    I think it’s pretty obvious, isn’t it?
    They designed it for the Miyota, the supply fell through, they had to create an additional spacer to take a Seiko movement.

I’m not sure what sort of explanation people are looking for.

The movements are broadly comparable, and mine has no slack in it at all.

Let’s not forget this is an inexpensive watch. I really don’t think it’s a big deal, despite what some people are trying to make it.

As usual, the loudest noise seems to be coming from people who didn’t buy the watch.