closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Introducing The New Grand Seiko Elegance Collection

Introducing The New Grand Seiko Elegance Collection

Grand Seiko has released a series of new watches and a new calibre , called the Elegance collection , there are four references , the SBGK002 , SBGK004 , SBGK005 and the SBGK006 . The new calibre is the 9S63 cal .

https://wornandwound.com/introducing...-9s63-caliber/

Last edited by Tazmo61; 6th February 2019 at 15:16.

I'm looking forward to seeing real photos of this - I don't trust
    Seiko's own one bit. I saw the photos yesterday, and it took my eyes a while before I got used to case shape, which reminds me a bit of how GS cases evolved as the 70s went on

The empty bottom half somewhat ruins that otherwise rather elegant piece for me

Master
    ...whereas I'm a fan of empty space if there's no pressing need to fill it with unnecessary words (but then I had a Moser...)

I hope that blue thing on the back is a sticker though... bleurgh

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    ...whereas I'm a fan of empty space if there's no pressing need to fill it with unnecessary words (but then I had a Moser...)

I hope that blue thing on the back is a sticker though... bleurgh
    Pretty sure that's etched/painted on as it's black on other models and certainly not a sticker!

Can they not put the power reserve on the back of their watches - for the most part, it ruins the look for me, and is the one feature that also ruins most of the Spring Drive range for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Can they not put the power reserve on the back of their watches - for the most part, it ruins the look for me, and is the one feature that also ruins most of the Spring Drive range for me.
    Without the PR, I'd automatically assume it's a quartz - perhaps that's why?

vive la difference I say , and I like the blue I like the symmetry of seconds @9 & power reserve @3 , but not a fan of the gold .

Journeyman
    Cool will be nice to see up close

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Without the PR, I'd automatically assume it's a quartz - perhaps that's why?
    Why? The spring drive in particular will have a second hand that's so smooth, even a non WIS would known its something different.

Anyway, who cares what anyone else thinks, it's what the wearer thinks that matters.

I'm all on for a clean balanced dial.

Here’s hoping “elegance” might mean more seemly case heights... anyone know the specs?

11.6mm apparently. Still a bit tall for something with designs on elegance.

Cracking dial though - looks like a big blue zebra skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson_smyth View Post
    Why? The spring drive in particular will have a second hand that's so smooth, even a non WIS would known its something different.

Anyway, who cares what anyone else thinks, it's what the wearer thinks that matters.

I'm all on for a clean balanced dial.
    I'm talking from GS's perspective to give more differentiation between models and movements, not as a wearer or owner, as as you say it doesn't matter what other people think.

With the static Seiko photos, if you take away the PR it fits entirely within their quartz models' aesthetic.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 7th February 2019 at 01:44.

Definitely prefer the batons to the numbers, and there is certainly something slightly unusual about the case shape - would like to see them in the metal.

Definitely not a fan of the Chelsea FC logo on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing real photos of this - I don't trust Seiko's own one bit.
    Just found these

Lots more where those came from: https://wornandwound.com/review/hand...5-and-sbgk006/

Many thanks for posting that - off to have a butchers now as I’m genuinely quite interested in these, fabulous looking!

In the renders the lugs looked so odd that the pictures almost seemed distorted. In these photos they look much better!

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Cracking dial though - looks like a big blue zebra skin Mt. Iwate, apparently.
    FTFM :)

That article’s well worth looking at.

Nicely integrated power reserve mirroring the sub seconds hand dial, which is particularly useful on a manual wind. Although since actually owning a Spring Drive, the power reserve is a function I like using, as opposed to a GMT hand that I always ignored, despite a theoretical need for one.

It looks to me like the strap is, unusually, less than half the width of the case. If so, that'll be deliberate, to emphasise the watch in a showy way. I think the pairing of the PR and small seconds is pulling in the same direction. A few years ago GS manuals were typically 36mm and very discreet; this seems to be attempting the opposite.

The dial is unbalanced by having nothing in the southern hemisphere. I also think it's a mistake to reduce the gorgeous sweeping second hand to a tiny hand on a small subdial.

Meh.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I also think it's a mistake to reduce the gorgeous sweeping second hand to a tiny hand on a small subdial.
    Apologies if I've misunderstood you, but despite the presence of the PR I don't think it's a Spring Drive

Apologies if I've misunderstood you, but despite the presence of the PR I don't think it's a Spring Drive
    My bad :(
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    My bad :(
    Lots of people have made the same assumption I've just looked up that the movement is only 21,600 - presumably to get the nice long power reserve of 72 hours

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Agree with this, does seem a bit inelegant.

I'm looking forward to seeing real photos of this - I don't trust Seiko's own one bit. I saw the photos yesterday, and it took my eyes a while before I got used to the case shape, which reminds me a bit of how GS cases evolved as the 70s went on
    I just had the pleasure of seeing one of these in the flesh - it really is a staggering watch.

When I took photos of it, I found that the sleekly shaped case didn't look as good as in real life. Also the shade of blue is very subtle and hard to capture.

So I guess I'm going to forgive Seiko for their photos.....

I just had the pleasure of seeing one of these in the flesh - it really is a staggering watch.

When I took photos of it, I found that the sleekly shaped case didn't look as good as in real life. Also the shade of blue is very subtle and hard to capture.

So I guess I'm going to forgive Seiko for their photos.....
    Did Ryan not have one of these for sale recently?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Indeed. Traded it to a fellow tz member. Amazing watch.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Yeah - I believe the one I saw today was that same watch.

Love this, beautiful. Would love to try one one for size but seemingly impossible.

I wish they’d made the two sub dials more symmetrical? The anchor points aren’t equally spaced from the centre and that’s really messy

Wonderful dial in photos, can only imagine it’s better in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I wish they’d made the two sub dials more symmetrical? The anchor points aren’t equally spaced from the centre and that’s really messy
    But the PR isn't a subdial, its hand only moves up and down about 60 degrees - if the anchors were in the same place, the two features overall would be completely asymmetric. As it is they take up a similar amount of space, in similar places.

But the PR isn't a subdial, its hand only moves up and down about 60 degrees - if the anchors were in the same place, the two features overall would be completely asymmetric. As it is they take up a similar amount of space, in similar places.
    Interesting perspective - maybe I really do need to get hands on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the depths - did anyone manage to try one of these out?

I'm looking for something a little quirky and I think it looks absolutely amazing on the grey strap here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey0TCo3TroM

-Adrian