closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Family holiday: what can you save?

Family holiday: what can you save?

So, family have decided to go to Mexico for a holiday this year. This is a first for us as we have always holidayed in the UK. Anyway, we are going to Cancun for two weeks in August.

I'm guessing if we go down the travel agent route we will pay a bit more than sorting stuff out ourselves? Is the saving considerable? Any recommendations for agents? Anyone to avoid? Any guidance greatly appreciated. I want to get this booked by the end of the weekend. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Master
    I always book online found that we can save 2-3k from instore agent prices but also price can vary a lot depending on what day/time you book as well

Master
    Some agents can/will price match. It’s quite quick to do online quotes with two or three different companies plus you could tailor make it yourselves by booking the flight and hotel separately (male sure you have good travel insurance).

You haven’t asked this so I’m hesitant in saying, but is August a good time for Mexico? I just wonder if it would be humid and sticky, plus a risk of hurricanes? I may be wrong but it’s worth looking into. I think December to March is their best time.

Master
    For the wife and daughters beach holiday last year we used on the beach.com which worked out cheaper than buying all the bits separately.
    Normally I will book everything separately and can save a reasonable amount.
    Off to Croatia later this year and have created a similar package to that found online but mines a third cheaper

Master
    There are differences to your consumer rights between booking a package holiday and piecing something together yourself. Plenty of info online about the nuances, but package gives you more peace of mind generally.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I always book online found that we can save 2-3k from instore agent prices but also price can vary a lot depending on what day/time you book as well
    100% agree with this. Use something like
    Expedia and skyscanner together. Use skyscanner to look at which days flights are cheapest using the month search function. BA flies regularly to cancun. (Edit - BA flies regularly from Gatwick to cancun)

I went to Mexico in 2016 booked about a month before. Cost around 2.5k for a all inclusive holiday that at Tui was around double that.

If you book flights and hotel together on Expedia it’s ATOL protected too. If you have a good annual travel insurance policy it probably covers scheduled airline failure anyway.
    Last edited by Sean89; 5th February 2019 at 23:44.

Craftsman
    Double post...doh!

Grand Master
    I’m always keen on saving money when I can, but I prefer to use travel agentsto organise holidays. I’m happy to pay for the service, they know what they’re doing and I don’t.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I’m guessing you are looking at pretty expensive holidays if you are able to save that amount by doing it yourself.
    I haven’t been out that way for some time, I last went to the Dominican Republic 9 years ago. Me, the wife and our then 2.5 year old daughter stayed in a nice 4* Riu hotel All Inclusive for two weeks for a smidgen over £1600.

I usually book on line or go to an agent,there’s usually not a lot of difference,you can probably save if you book it all separate,you’ve stated it’s your first time,I’m not sure I’d take the risk.
    The last time I went to cancun was at the end of October and the rainy season was just finishing,I’d check the weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm of the opinion that the biggest saving would be to send the family on holiday wherever they want to go and I'll stay at home and go driving on my own. They'd probably be happy with that too.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    We booked Mexico, Moon Palace, Cancun, through Expedia last year for this summer.

Despite all my wife’s efforts, and she is a master at holiday booking, we couldn’t beat their price. We saved just over £500 by booking through them.

Have just booked Dubai for the New Year via Travelbag who were quite a bit cheaper than trying to book online.

Master
    Believe it or not I’ve had some decent deals through BA holidays over the years (particularly on beach trips). Definitely worth a look for a trip like this.

Master
    For Mexico I'd not only be checking the weather expectations but also how fit aligns with American school/college holidays. Nothing against our friends from the colonies but just be aware that parts of Mexico are to Americans what places like Ibiza and shagaluf are to the UK.

Learned the value of such research when I went to Bali and it was full of Australian college kids falling about drunk.