closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cycle help please (maintenance) sorted

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I've always found Shimano a little more 'on or off' than others, particularly XT. SRAM brakes are now excellent - so much better than the Avids they're loosely derived from.
    That said, out of choice I'd always go Hope. Stupidly easy to fit and bleed, loads of adjustment, work as well as anything plus practically future-proof. Almost everything on them can be repaired or replaced - however old they are. As Hope machine all their own parts, if they don't have a spare in stock, they'll machine it for you - however old the brakes are. They are a little more expensive but you can keep them going a lot longer.
    I replaced Avid Elixirs with Deore's. The Avids were awful, they had plenty of power but wouldn't retract enough for clearance.
    I liked the minis so much i bought Hope hubs, bottom brackets, seat clamps, bar ends and skewers. The skewers were that beautiful that i was in two minds whether to use them or not. I ended up with a 205mm rotor on the front of my Rock Lobster because i put fox forks on and a 180mm wasn't compatible.
    As you mention they make the calipers from billets in house in Barnoldswick and that's important too

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    I liked the minis so much i bought Hope hubs, bottom brackets, seat clamps, bar ends and skewers.
    I assume they were all in the same matching Hope colours too!

When I were a lad, purple annodised bits were all the range... Ringle Stems, Grafton Speed Controllers etc all shod with a pair of white Onza Porcupines..

Obviously, when compared to today they were cr&p but my god they looked good.

From what I’ve read, and I have no first hand experience, cable operated disc brakes are a poor cousin to hydraulic.

The Juicy 5s on my Marin 2006 Rift Zone that has done over 10,000 miles now, have only ever needed new pads in the 12 years I’ve had it. Faultless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I assume they were all in the same matching Hope colours too!
    Oh yes, all in blue, though the purple looks great

Master
    Kit arrived today - I did plan to have a pop but had to go to my daughters for some rewiring and plumbing duties
    Definitely tomorrow

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Kit arrived today - I did plan to have a pop but had to go to my daughters for some rewiring and plumbing duties
    Definitely tomorrow
    Good luck anyway. Let us know how you get on

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Good luck anyway. Let us know how you get on

Of course- thanks to all for your input

Master
    Ok so I bled front and rear last night and ‘pushed’ all the old mineral oil out (brownish)
    I didn’t notice a great deal of difference this morning but I’ve just replaced the rear pads (after a nice clean of the area with an old toothbrush and some IPA) the rear seem much better
    They only had 1 set in stock so I’ve ordered some for the front too
    Many thanks all

Master
    Lewie make sure you give the disks a good clean to in case they’ve picked up some contamination.

IPA or brake cleaner, wire wool or strong scotch bright pad and some more ipa is my favourite method.

Also keep an eye on the calipers if the poor performance returns it’s likely you’ve got a caliper leak and it’s dominishing return time, get a new cheep set.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Ok so I bled front and rear last night and ‘pushed’ all the old mineral oil out (brownish)
    I didn’t notice a great deal of difference this morning but I’ve just replaced the rear pads (after a nice clean of the area with an old toothbrush and some IPA) the rear seem much better
    They only had 1 set in stock so I’ve ordered some for the front too
    Many thanks all
    what sort of pads did you order?

I usually get sintered as they've been better then organic, kevlar or resin but that's just my opinion.

Master
    I gave the disks a good clean with IPA should have used a scotch pad-(too late now but ill do it to the front)
    They seemed to be better on this mornings ride in - I bought Shimano BS01 pads from Halfords(fitted to the rear but only had 1 set in stock)- I did see sintered but wondered if they were compatible-
    Ive still one set to buy so should I move the new back ones to the front and but sintered for the rear??
    So many decisions - thanks
    they have both these in stock
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...515-brake-pads

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...isc-brake-pads

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, as I'm your man for cycle maintenance

Journeyman
    I'd recommend putting your best pads on the front as that's where most of the stopping power will be.

Master
    Ok a big thanks to all those how helped- (esp RD200)finished today flushed, cleaned and new pads on the front
    They are working a treat now- thanks you- I’ve leared a new skill at 50