closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 6R64 movement

Master

Seiko 6R64 movement

So seiko have released a new automatic GMT movement - a true / travellers GMT, the 6R64.

https://www.plus9time.com/blog/2018/...s-and-comments

At present they are putting them in their chunky landmaster watches (which I do like but prefer the spring drive variant - or the space walk but that's not going to happen)

What excites me is a) the possibility of more traditional GMT watches from seiko, such as a diver or sport style and b) the hope that they will release the movement to 3rd parties as they do with their other movements.

I'd love to see a Timefactors travelers GMT or maybe Lorne at Classic Chonographs could do something with it.

I've always put off buying a GMT as I know I'd be dissatisfied with a quartz or office type movement and true auto GMT's are thin on the ground or expensive. Maybe now there's hope - even a Steinhart or Davosa with this movement would be good.

There is indeed something satisfying about a "proper" GMT with an independently adjustable hour hand and I imagine travelling with such a watch is good fun (I am enough of a movement geek to enjoy adjusting the hour hand on my Omega 8500 watches without hacking the movement). FWIW the mass-market autos I've had with GMT functions (either based on the 7750 or the 2836) have all been "conventional", with the GMT and hour hands linked and without independent adjustment of the hours, so hopefully Seiko make this movement available in some interesting watches at a sensible price point.

I recall that the 5M Kinetic movement in the Seiko SUN019 (and similar) is also a "true" GMT, so I guess this is a Seiko-wide approach to executing a GMT function.

Craftsman
    Well, I am working on a gmt model, but so far I've only spoken to swiss movement manufacturers. There are a couple of things I want to build into a movement and switzerland is a lot closer than japan, so easier to pop over to chat about movement design, tooling costs, exclusivity and production numbers.
    Based on my Field Engineer development time-frame, the "Navigator", is about 2 or 3 years until ready.

chunky..it might be but if it is due to the movement..no idea

however I like mine which is not popular

I failed to find what the height of the movement is, but I did find that the advertised accuracy as the same as the medium-low-end 6r15 (+25 / -15) but ticks at 28,800 (6r15 is just 21,600)

Alpina do a true gmt for circa 1k in the heritage model. Modified sellita movement. Only negative compared to the Tudor/Rolex style gmt is that the date doesn't alter in the same way.
    https://wornandwound.com/introducing...avelers-watch/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Well, I am working on a gmt model, but so far I've only spoken to swiss movement manufacturers. There are a couple of things I want to build into a movement and switzerland is a lot closer than japan, so easier to pop over to chat about movement design, tooling costs, exclusivity and production numbers.
    Based on my Field Engineer development time-frame, the "Navigator", is about 2 or 3 years until ready.
    That'll give me time to save up for one 8), please though, pretty please with sugar on top make it a true 'travellers GMT, where the main 'local time' hour hand is separately adjustable in hour jumps and also controls the date wheel.

Alpinas startimer GMT is tough to get hold of (gnomon seems to be the only place to have them), is not really to my taste stylistically and as is mentioned the date is not done 'correctly'. I did think long and hard about getting one but in the end just couldn't see myself wearing it that often.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    That'll give me time to save up for one 8), please though, pretty please with sugar on top make it a true 'travellers GMT, where the main 'local time' hour hand is separately adjustable in hour jumps and also controls the date wheel.

Alpinas startimer GMT is tough to get hold of (gnomon seems to be the only place to have them), is not really to my taste stylistically and as is mentioned the date is not done 'correctly'. I did think long and hard about getting one but in the end just couldn't see myself wearing it that often.
    ok

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I failed to find what the height of the movement is, but I did find that the advertised accuracy as the same as the medium-low-end 6r15 (+25 / -15) but ticks at 28,800 (6r15 is just 21,600)
    Seems like it's essentially a 6R27 with a GMT module. Other 6R20 variants that have an extra complication are 6.15mm in height, so it must be somewhere close to that.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    This is great news and will allow me to save up in advance once HMRC has finished with its pound or two of flesh from me 😩