closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The price of a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Gillette razor blades are dearer than a hair cut

I use Gillette Sensor disposable razors. Usually get 2 weeks per razor (I have an electric shaver that I use for daily shaving). You can get a pack of 8 razors when on offer for £5 so not that expensive overall.

Craftsman
    Mines just gone up to £9,he always gets a tenner anyway,mostly scissor work as my hair is slightly curly ,just using the clippers to slightly fade the sides and back.. takes about 30 minutes.
    Tend to go just before a holiday so always asks ,"where you off to now?'

Cannot believe why a man's haircut cost more than a tenner,nevermind some of the costs I have seen being paid here!!!

Sent from my Mi A1 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    60 quid every 6 weeks or so.
    Same for the dog.

Master
    If I’m on my own then it’s £11 which I round to £15 as she’s fast and goes a good job an opens early a few days a week so I can get in without waiting, the place is very basic.
    If I’m with the lad it’s £15 each but you need to book it’s a nice place inside with a pool table and decent magazines always busy but they do a really good job and don’t talk to my son and only use scissors on his hair which is crucial as he would just walk out mid cut if he wasn’t comfortable.

Master
    There's some big tipping on this thread!!!

I pay the local barber in my village in Malta €10 including tip for a haircut and beard trim.

I pay the Turkish barber in my corner of SE London £20 including tip for similar.

Just before new year some friends came to stay with us in London. It was the husband’s birthday so I told him I was taking him to Soho for some pampering including body contact. Needless to say that was a trip to an old fashioned barber for the full treatment, hot towels and we both elected to have our beards’ biennial removal. For this pleasure I paid £90 for the two of us. I figured at that price no tip was needed.

Master
    Interesting thread - as my wife has cut my hair (well clippers) for over 30 years. So had not kept up with prices, then last year I interviewed a young man looking to set up a barbers shop with haircuts from £75!!

Most I ever paid was £25 at a Turkish barber in Throgmorton Street when I worked near the bank.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    About £12 for a grade 2 all over for me - looks a bit pricey compared to some. Mind you I think that breaks down to a couple of pounds for the Barnet and the rest to tame the forest in my ears.
    I really should dig the clippers out and have a bash myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    +1

Craftsman
    I go to Turkish Barber near my parents .It costs £7 and £1 tip .Sadly not a lot of hair left so it's a number 3 all over .If I had more hair would go to a hipsters barber and get a new style

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    £12 for a zero all-over, I know...what a mug eh?

Craftsman
    £15 for a full Turkish barber treatment. Should go every 3-4 weeks.

£10 and If I go in at the weekend, a free pint from the bar inside the shop!

£33 wash & cut every 4 weeks for me in islington plus a few pound tip.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 5th February 2019 at 21:23.

Good quality rechargable trimmer:
    0 for the ears
    0 for the nostrils
    2 for the beard
    3 for the tash
    3 for the eyebrows
    4 for over the ears
    4 for the lower neck
    5 for the top
    6 for the upper sides
    7 Then I tip myself a tenner and go to the pub.

Grand Master
    20 years ago, when I had more hair, I was far more fussy about having it cut correctly, but now it’s receding at the front my options are limited. I could grow it and comb it forward ( and look like a pillock) or opt for keeping it cut v. short and look less like a pillock. Having adopted the latter strategy I see no point in paying more than I have to for what has now become a distress purchase every few weeks. £5-£6 is the going rate where I live for a straightforward cut, but if I travelled 10 miles into the centre of Leeds I’d probably pay three times as much.

Keeping it short also disguises the grey......trust me it works!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I'm pretty sure both haircuts and prophylactics have always been chargeable at the standard rate of VAT!
    Some barbers manage to stay below the limit for VAT registration, a mate of mine had a shop and he told me this. He had a good business, the shop was nothing fancy but he owned the premises. The staff were self employed and essentially rented a chair from him. Unfortunately it went belly- up when the 3 girls who worked there set up their own shop, too all their customers, and left him high and dry..........I warned him this was a risk but he wouldn’t listen, the shop never recovered and he ended up selling the property for development.

15 quid every 4 weeks - 2 on the sides and sissors on top - includes a decent coffee.

Some of the prices on here are only a very small part of the reason I haven’t had a proper hair cut in the last two years! No plans to have it cut anytime soon either.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Any more than £10 and I expect a tit in the ear.

That said I spent £25 on some cheap Wahl clippers a couple of years ago an my wife has been obliging ever since.

Only use the barbers for holidays and weddings now.

£20 including tip for me every three weeks. 0.5 sides and back right up to parting line on right, then about two fingers long over the top to try and hide the bald spot. Ear and eyebrows trimmed, which seems to grow faster than on my head. Takes about 20-25 mins, used to get a beer or rum and coke included but that’s fallen away now.

Clippers for over 25 years. Zero all over now, no guard. New clippers every once in a while. Sorted.

Master
    Traditional Cypriot Barbers in E17
    Every 3-4 weeks.
    Shampoo
    Coffee
    1 1/2 on sides and 4 on top.
    Chat about his Tinder action.
    Scissor and Trimmer action
    When done, time for the Thinning Scissors to come out.
    Shampoo.
    Dab of Gel.
    Takes an hour.
    £14 + £1 tip.
    Buy tub of Gummy gel @£5.
    Another chat if there are no customers about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been bald since I was 21 yet I seem to go to the barbers more than anyone I know.
    I alternate between doing it myself and paying someone to do it for me
    It’s a tenner for a cut throat shave all over the bonce and another £6 to get the beard trimmed, I tend to get the beard trimmed every 4 weeks or so, I like the head upside down look!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 6th February 2019 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Used to have a girl who cut mine and my last wife’s hair at our home. She seemed to enjoy rubbing herself against my back and shoulders!

Ex wife got shut of her pretty quickly!

Master
    I have cut my own with clippers and a bic for 31 years with the exception of one visit to make something presentable from a mop i grew for a court appearance. My old place is still there and is 12 pounds now.

Master
    Being a pensioner, I get the pensioner rate of £11.50 for a scissor cut. The hairdresser moans because I have an exceptionally good head of hair which is longer and thicker than most other men and she takes twice as long to cut mine as it takes to whizz the clippers over someone else who is as bald as a coot. I don't tip because I am a poor pensioner and she is self employed. Also being a typical hairdresser, the till remains open all day to fool HMRC.

12€ here
    5€ for kids

Master
    I pay my mobile hairdresser £13 every 6 weeks and she's well worth that.

scooter

Can't remember the last time I went and had my hair cut, think I've been doing it myself for over ten years, just shave it all off, wish I'd done it earlier, hair's for girls

Craftsman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    Can't remember the last time I went and had my hair cut, think I've been doing it myself for over ten years, just shave it all off, wish I'd done it earlier, hair's for girls
    A bit like the fact bald men are more virile?

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    I quite like my long flowing locks ;)

&

Quite looking forward to it going grey when I'm about 60 judging by the men in my ancestry.

Master
    Andis dog trimmers. 10F blade with 1.25" comb attachment. All over the same.

SWMBO complains if it's done in the house so in the winter it's sat in the wood shed and in the summer sat outside the wood shed ;-)

All you need-

Master
    I’ll probably get grilled for it but hey I’m in London so have to try and get a haircut when I can fit it in and hate waiting also with a beard to Maintain a haircut is much more than that for me and is a treatment including a cut and shave ear burning and some general downtime with a beer and a massage so the £54 for the works is well worth it in my opinion at teds grooming rooms

It’s a lot but considering a hair cut is £30 anyway in most places central London I think it represents good value for money

https://www.tedsgroomingroom.com/treatments
    Last edited by R0bertb00th; 6th February 2019 at 14:03.

Shampoo and conditioner followed by scissor cut and tidy to neckline with clippers. £20 every 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    All you need-

That’s just brought me out in cold sweat; there’s some nasty childhood memories in that picture!

Master
    Bought some clippers and do it myself. Finish off with razor blades to ensure a smooth billiard ball finish all over. It soon grows back. Not handing over a tenner or more for something that’ll take a guy no more than five minutes to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post

That said I spent £25 on some cheap Wahl clippers a couple of years ago an my wife has been obliging ever since.

Only use the barbers for holidays and weddings now.
    I get the aforementioned in the ear and in the face too but it's my wife so it's allowed.

She did the training years ago so she's pretty adept with the scissors and clippers fortunately.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Can’t find any barbers around here offering coffee or beer. Tightwads!

In Leicester last week so popped in to Giovanni's on Gypsy Lane, 40 minutes and twenty notes later I felt like a new man...

nice guy Leemaz...

Only a WIS would own a collection of wristwatches that cost thousands of pounds, worry about what a particular watch ‘says about them’ and agonise over strap widths, bezels lining up and cosc accuracy, contribute to threads about the pros and cons of this Bentley vs that Porsche - and spend £5 on a haircut!!??

Journeyman
    Top tip... fly with virgin in upper and you can get a hair cut free... well I say free we can overlook the £1000+ ticket cost.

Mine is normally £14 and I leave a £6 tip. The guys who do mine are generally great and will also tidy you up with a cut throat razor. I used get mine cut about every 6-8 weeks but in recent times as I am loosing my hair I have to go more like every 3-4 weeks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    13.50 plus a tip of a few quid every 3 weeks here on the outskirts of Oxford. Tried another place before Christmas that cost £30 and was far worse!
    I’ve only ever had 3 hairdressers in 46 years and am pretty vain about it in all honesty.
    2 on the sides faded to a 1 around the hairline, scissor trimmed faded and thinned on top and a good chat every time with the same guy who I can rely on to be done in 20 mins max.

Had clippers for must be at least 15 years, do it perhaps every 4-6 weeks. 5 on top and then graded down to 0.
    Then my wife arrives at the end to tidy it up a little around the edges :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Only a WIS would own a collection of wristwatches that cost thousands of pounds, worry about what a particular watch ‘says about them’ and agonise over strap widths, bezels lining up and cosc accuracy, contribute to threads about the pros and cons of this Bentley vs that Porsche - and spend £5 on a haircut!!??

£5 is the going rate where I live, one of the advantages of living in a small somewhat unfashionable northern town. Under £250 k will easily buy you a spacious modern 4 bed detached house too.........whoever said it's grim up north got it wrong, trust me.

Frankly, I`m both amazed and amused by the amount of money people pay to get their hair cut, and there's definitely a north-south divide on this.

Billingham. £7.50. (that's the haircut price, not the price for Billingham. Although if you haggled...)

Last haircut I paid for was £7 iirc, rounded up to a tenner. Tidy TNA, sketchy chat.

That was circa. 2002, been self-buzzing since then.

I pay a tenner for a No2 blended in with a scissor cut on top and tip as well..

Some of these “home cuts” are probably perfect but I can’t get this guy out my head when I think of cutting your own hair..