closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The price of a haircut.

Master

The price of a haircut.

All I want is shorter hair with a bit of style - nothing fancy. There are some crumby joints around that look disgusting and a few that are reasonable. My guy charges £15 and takes about 20 mins. If he’s not busy he’ll use scissors a lot. If there’s a queue the electric clippers are more prominent. The result either way seems much the same - fairly decent. Makes you wonder if a lot of the scissor work is just for show. How much dosh do you drop and how frequently?

I've cut my own for years. A grade 3 up the back and sides and a 5 over the top. The wife sorts the neck out. Just get some clippers and do your own Lionel Blair cut

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I've cut my own for years. A grade 3 up the back and sides and a 5 over the top. The wife sorts the neck out. Just get some clippers and do your own Lionel Blair cut

How do you blend it from a 3 to a 5 if you do it yourself?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post

Are you related to ryanb741's wife by any chance?

Master
    It's about a tenner in Hampshire. My preferred lass takes about 20-25 minutes with clippers but mainly lots of scissor work to do my grade 2 up the back and sides and trimming what's left on top. It last about 6-7 weeks before it looks like it needs doing again. Most others take 10-15, much less scissor work but it barely lasts a month. It's no wonder she's popular and I don't always have time to wait.

Master
    I do my own and have done for the past 10 years. 3 up the back and 0 on top!

Prior to that my wife trimmed my hair and before I was married it was my Dad (following a traumatic incident when I had to be removed screaming from the barber's chair when said barber accidentally cut some stitches in a recent childhood head wound!) On the basis of that I would never pay more than 2 shillings and 6 pence for a haircut.

Master
    Blog Entries
    £8 with a £2 tip, usually just a number 1 back and sides then cut short on top.

Every 3 weeks unfortunately as my hair grows very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    How do you blend it from a 3 to a 5 if you do it yourself?
    I run a 3 up sides quite high to the part where your bonce starts to crown over so it's a natural stopping point. My hair tends to grow out so prefer to take that grade quite high. A 5 over the top and a 4 to blend the inch or so between. The back is by feel. It's actually fairly easy (on my admittedly misshapen noodle) though I've been doing for years on ships out of necessity. The wife double checks the back as she does my neck.

Last edited by subseastu; 5th February 2019 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Are you related to ryanb741's wife by any chance?
    Not that I know of.....

My missus is a hairdresser so my haircuts are free. Bonus.

I get a 3-2-1, so 3 on top, 2 on the sides and 1 down the back. Takes the guy all of 5 mins to do and that’s if he’s chatting. Get it done every 6 or so weeks and it costs me all of £6. Personally I hate the barber/hairdressers experience so am glad to be in and out as quickly as possible.

Oh and if you want your beard shaped then it’s an extra £6.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    I get a 3-2-1, so 3 on top, 2 on the sides and 1 down the back. Takes the guy all of 5 mins to do and that’s if he’s chatting. Get it done every 6 or so weeks and it costs me all of £6. Personally I hate the barber/hairdressers experience so am glad to be in and out as quickly as possible.

Same price for me.

6 quid for a haircut and another 6 if you want your beard trimmed as well. Not the poshest of places, but they do a good job and I only go for 2 on the top, fading to zero on the sides, so hard to mess it up

I'm usually getting my hair cut every week, but lately it's been every fortnight

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post

Almost exactly this.

There was a new lad in a few weeks ago though who took AGES! Trimmed it, clipped it, cut-throat razor on the neck and throat he even "tidied" my eyebrows and trimmed and shaped my stubble... I was waiting for him to whip my jeans off and do the last bit.

If I was into all that stuff I'd have been over the moon with the service. As it was, I had a pint going warm in the pub next door and was expecting a five minute trim.

My wife bought me a 50 quid gift card for BarberBarber a couple of years ago, which covered haircut and beard shaping. Again, I really wasn't into it but was too polite to say so. Two hours (waiting and cutting) on a Monday afternoon. Bleugh.

A tenner in London. Used to be six quid...

Mine has recently gone up to £9 from £7.50. I always just give them a tenner anyway.

Two of my daughters have just taken over a salon where a wash and cut is £20. It’s amazing how busy they are.

Up until around 9 months ago or so it was £20 including tip at what I'd call a smart, professional gentlemans barbers - quite toppy price wise however the chap always did a great job and we had great banter so I felt it money well spent. When he left for pastures new I looked up an old barber friend of mine, now I pop over to her place every 5-6 weeks or so and I pay half the price.

Seeing as we're discussing times and styles; no.1 back and sides blended to just about finger's width on top, clippers and scissors, maybe around 45-60min with a good chat

Craftsman
    The cost of my hair cut seems to go up a £1 a year. Its currently £11 and I have my hair cut every 4 weeks. I should just learn to do it myself as I just have it shaved short with clippers.

I used to think a fiver was getting too expensive, I went the DIY route may be eight years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Does she still ask you where you're going on holiday while she's doing it?

Mine charges £20, takes about 45mins and I go every 4 weeks

£26 with a £5 tip. It’s more than I like but I like what I get.

Master
    £8 for a flat top and £2 tip.

The bloke who cuts my hair has ordered a flat top comb with a spirit level to make it easier, sorted!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Here as well and i told her to cut out the small talk but though the haircut might be free it can cost in many other ways.
    Footnote, i absolutely hate having my hair cut

DIY'd mine for the last 20yrs. No2 on the beard, when i have one, No1 all over the bonce

Owl1
    I pay £7 but always give a tenner and tell her to keep the change , not because she's good at cutting hair.. its because her arse in such a nice shape and she smells nice .

Before I started doing it myself, it was about 13 quid. Nothing special cut-wise, but it was always an entertaining experience. The barbers was family owned, with the father and son and a longtime mate of theirs taking up the three chairs. Plenty of regulars, most of whom they knew by name. Lots of banter, often of the risqué kind. Used to have 'gentleman's calendars' on the walls I seem to remember, from a time when I was too young to really understand. They cleaned up their workspace over time as attitudes changed, but the debates remained a highlight of each visit. I expect it's still a bastion of casual sexism, racism and homophobia, like time froze in 1985.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    £20 inc a £4 tip every 3 weeks in Hitchin.

My barber does a very good job, takes his time, and always has something interesting to say.

What is this hair of which you speak?
    F.T.F.A.

In Sutton Coldfield mine has just gone up from £9 (plus £1 tip) to £10 (plus tip from whatever change is in my pocket) for a short back and sides every 3 weeks.

Grand Master
    Just had mine cut this morning for £5 + £1 tip, straightforward no 5 on top, 4 up the sides, trim my eyebrows and generally tidy me up. Can’t see any point in paying more. I draw the line at cutting my own hair but I wouldn’t rule it out in the future.

In and out of the shop in 10 minutes, that’s how I like it. Can’t stand having to sit and wait.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 5th February 2019 at 14:45.

Master
    £8 in Winchester - OAP rate + my usual £1 tip

I don't have much (hair)

No 2 all over!!!

Have cut my own for about 10 years.

Not after anything fancy anyway: shaved back & sides, blend gradually towards the top, then graduate it so as it’s a bit longer & styled at the front.

Hardly rocket science, is it?

Becomes easy with practice & second mirror. Clippers with varying length attachments – plus the clippers have a sliding lever to finely adjust the length again within a single attachment – makes it easy to graduate length.

It’s not even the money saved that motivates me, more that:

• Hairdressers never cut it short enough, or quite the way I like it, so I had to go back again too soon
    • Can’t be bothered with small talk (although admittedly my hairdresser was an attractive young lady)
    • Appointments always at rubbish times – evenings or Saturdays. Lots better to do with my precious free time than sitting reading a year-old, dog-eared copy of GQ because my appointment has been delayed, yet again. Never mind the commuting time in the car.
    • A haircut as often as I want
    • Can sort it in the morning before a shower, so none of that itchy t-shirt & second shower nonsense to deal with the inevitable stray bristles

Only downside is the tidy-up, but even that’s just a quick hoover on a tiled floor – no big deal.

The very rare time I do frequent a barber – for instance, when I broke my hand and was unable myself – I do quite like the one near me that serves you a beer or whisky at the same time. May as well take some pain out of the process!

Master
    £32 in nice surroundings and as much beer/coffee I can drink while in the chair
    (Dodgy thin patches means no short clippers for me)

Used to pay £15 but my barber had to disappear as he had several women after him, shame as although I had to listen to his whining boll@cks whilst in the chair, he was good at what he did.

£23 for hair and beard up here in North Norfolk. However, that involved a fair bit of work from the barber - hot towels, menthol, cut-throat razor - took about 40 minutes but no small-talk, very business like and I left with a good haircut and a beard line that I can maintain and which he’s done to suit my face and jawline etc (I find it hard to get right tbh) - I’ll be back in a month for a repeat and I have to say I find it quite relaxing and old-fashioned as opposed to ‘poncy’!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    £14 rounded up to £15 in East Herts.

No 4 back and sides slight trim on top. Takes 10 minutes. Always go early as the boss opens up at 7am and does good job.

The other "stylists" after 9am can be a bit hit and miss although there's not much in it tbf

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    DIY with clippers and no guard, no messing about. I used to hate wasting time going to the barbers.

Grand Master
    I’m 61, I remember the traditional barbers shops from the 60s and 70s, very few unisex places in those days. The barbers was a bastion of blokiness, a male environment which was ‘interesting’ as a kid. At the age of 9 or 10 I used to go with a mate to get our hair cut, we used to get hold of the girlie magazines (Parade) that were provided as light reading whilst waiting, and read them behind a newspaper.......I use the term ‘read ‘ loosly, it was more a case of looking at the pictures The smirking and giggling gave us away on more than one occassion, we got a good telling off coupled with the threat of ‘I’ll tell your dad’. In a small town this was a very real threat, my dad knew everyone.

One barbers shop had a kiosk separate to the hair dressing, where you could buy all manner of male requirements. All very discreet, ideal for buying jonnies with the minimal amount of embarassment.

I think the VAT rules changed things, it’s not worthwhile for barbers to sell anything except haircuts thesedays.

2 top, 1 sides, tapered neck, 10 mins with the clipper. £ 7.50, here's a cock 'n hen, keep the change, make sure I get a slot without waiting too long and a brew every time I come in. Sorted.

£5 + £1 tip - number 2 / 3 back and sides and there's not much on top to scissor off these days - in and out in 10 minutes

usually every 1.5 - 2 months - and always a walk-in will tolerate waiting for one guy in front tops.
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 5th February 2019 at 15:10.

I think the question is not so much the price but the frequency. I try to stretch it out to four weeks but then it looks awful for the last week. Really should be every two weeks but who has the time for that... Always surprised by how many men I see who always look like they have just had a haircut, they must go every week.

Blog Entries
    £12 plus £3 tip every 3-4 weeks and a fiver extra at Christmas. Brilliant barber that I have been with for about 20 years! He is a Rolex and Omega watch man and a Nikon and Fuji camera man and the conversation is never less than excellent! I have a elbow replacement op coming up sometime this year and whilst I am recuperating he has offered to come to my house on his day off and cut my hair. Absolute top top man and I am lucky to have him on board.
    Last edited by KavKav; 5th February 2019 at 15:23.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    £12 plus £3 tip every 3-4 weeks and a fiver extra at Christmas. Brilliant barber that I have been with for about 20 years! He is a Rolex and Omega watch man and a Nikon and Fuji camera man and the conversation is never less than excellent!
    Noticed my barber was sporting a new looking steel/gold Datejust with diamond dial recently. Don't think he bought that on what he earns cutting hair - despite charging nearly twice what your man does.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think the VAT rules changed things, it’s not worthwhile for barbers to sell anything except haircuts thesedays.

I'm pretty sure both haircuts and prophylactics have always been chargeable at the standard rate of VAT!

£11 + £1 tip. Nice Egyptian and Lebanese guys in Kingston-on-Thames.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    I pay £7 but always give a tenner and tell her to keep the change , not because she's good at cutting hair.. its because her arse in such a nice shape and it smells nice .
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 5th February 2019 at 16:34. Reason: just had to, couldn't help it

Master
    Scissor haircut, six fiddy every 4 weeks or so. He's a good lad so gets a 50p tip every time

I wet shave my head 2 to 3 times a week. Must have saved a fortune over the years!

Master
    £11 plus £4 tip here in Somerset. It can be done for less but the place I use has online booking so I can choose who does it and when. Surprising how much we pay for other elements of style but a good haircut is “only” around a tenner, or about £100 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Does she still ask you where you're going on holiday while she's doing it?

Mine charges £20, takes about 45mins and I go every 4 weeks
    same here,exactly.
    I like Ashleigh to take her time point cut and takes a lot of care.
    not that I'm actually that fussy at all!

Blimey, I can’t even get my sons haircut for these prices! Mine depends where I go, if I go with my son locally it’s £40 for both of us. If I have mine cut in the City it’s £25 to £50 depending on where I go.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I wet shave my head 2 to 3 times a week. Must have saved a fortune over the years!

Gillette razor blades are dearer than a hair cut