closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Das boot

Das boot

A new series is starting on sky arts only trouble I don't have sky how can I watch record it, please

https://youtu.be/lfAKqByDEts

If the trailers are anything to go on, it doesn't look worth recording.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There can be only one.

Blog Entries
    Das Boot is a fantastic movie. Period. So is the soundtrack.

Last Summer I stayed in Kiel (Schilksee) for the World Championship Laser sailing. With my son out on the race course, I had plenty of time to visit the neighbourhood. I took the ferry from Schilksee to Laboe. In Laboe, there's a complete U-boat on dry land and you can visit it. That's when I remembered the movie. Once inside, the claustrophobia was running through my body, although knowing that the U-boat was high and dry on shore. Added to that: with my 6" height, I'm simply too tall for a WWII Sub! People were really smaller (less tall) back then!

One of the other Dutch lad's father is a former submarine commander for the Dutch Navy (Nowadays he's a high ranking officer behind a desk...). His stories and anecdotes of his submarine-days are almost good for a nice non-fiction book. His favourite slogan: "There are only two types of ships: submarines and targets!"

M

There is no point at all in remaking this.
    The original is highly unlikely to be bettered IMO

Craftsman
    Is it a re-make or are they using the name ?

I was told that this one is the story of a young inexperienced crew as oposed to the original being that of experience and the story will follow a different line with a parallel story running on land.

I will give it a go. Hopefully it will be good in its own right

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    There can be only one.

which one though? the serialised one, the theatrical movie, the directors cut or the original uncut version?

personally i prefer the one with “a tart pissed on my back once, that was a real thrill” i think that is in the serialised and original uncut version.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    There is no point at all in remaking this.
    The original is highly unlikely to be bettered IMO
    Agree, I dislike ‘remakes’, they’re usually rubbish.

It isn’t a remake. It’s a continuation of the story, starting 9 months after the original mini series.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    A new series is starting on sky arts only trouble I don't have sky how can I watch record it, please
    Can you get that channel on NowTV the Sky pay as you go service?

It’s on Sky Atlantic.

Craftsman
    If it is a US made show it will probably feature the Americans boarding the sub and capturing the enigma machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Theboydonald View Post
    If it is a US made show it will probably feature the Americans boarding the sub and capturing the enigma machine.
    It is a German made programme, in German, by Bavaria Film.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It is a German made programme, in German, by Bavaria Film.
    That will not land well in the northern part of Germany. I've been near Hamburg and Mecklenburg long and often enough to realise that there's a big difference between the North and the South. Especially when it comes to all things maritime! I suppose the Northern community will come up with something like: "We from the North don't make movies about mountains and skiing, do we!?"

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That will not land well in the northern part of Germany. I've been near Hamburg and Mecklenburg long and often enough to realise that there's a big difference between the North and the South. Especially when it comes to all things maritime! I suppose the Northern community will come up with something like: "We from the North don't make movies about mountains and skiing, do we!?"

Menno
    Bavaria Film made the original Das Boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Bavaria Film made the original Das Boot.
    Quite.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082096...ref_=ttfc_ql_4
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Watched first couple of episodes and thought it was very good, will definitely be watching the rest of it.
    As Phil says it's more of a sequel, it's not trying to copy the original.

Blog Entries
    Back in 1980 - 1982, I did a minor at the uni: German Movies. It was the period of Der Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum), Fassbender etc. German movies were 'hot'. Subject of my thesis was Das Boot. Simply because I was a fan of the German singer Herbert Grönemeyer. He was in the movie as well.

Back then (and that's what I mentioned above) I read in North-German newspapers and magazines comments about the opinion (won't call it a fact) that the 'Northerners' weren't happy with this non-Northern production. That's where (and when) I read the 'skiing' parallel for the first time. A little consolidation was the fact that the director was from Emden, a town near the Northsea and that a bunch of other actors were from Kreis Hamburg, Niedersachsen and Schleswig Holstein; the northern parts. According to people who speak better German than I do, the accents (dialects) in the movie were distinct 'northern'.

Knowing that, it was an easy job to pull the skiing parallel into the 21st-century version...

Craftsman
    Leave it alone I think. The original was superb.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app

I'll watch it eventually. It's getting very good reviews.

Blog Entries
    Expectations are not high on the German side. Most comments are negative along the line of: '... why trying to improve what is already brilliant!?' Also (and it echoes from the 80s) a comment on how on earth the actors are talking 'Hochdeutsch' instead of the nordic dialect.

Watching the trailer, I am under the impression that a lot of scenes are not boat-related. I don't know how that turns out.

Menno

I'll give it a go, but like others have said the original was probably the best Submarine war story ever told.
    I visited the Laboe Navel Memorial https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboe_Naval_Memorial in Kiel. There's an American captured U Boat that you can climb through, its a must visit.

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I'll give it a go, but like others have said the original was probably the best Submarine war story ever told.
    I visited the Laboe Navel Memorial https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laboe_Naval_Memorial in Kiel. There's an American captured U Boat that you can climb through, its a must visit.
    I've been in this Soviet-built one in India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Kursura_(S20)

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    It was the period of Der Blechtrommel (The Tin Drum)...
    Loved the book and film.

Another film of the era I still enjoy is Fitzcarraldo. Kinski is just bonkers in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    That's indeed the one I was referring to in a previous post. Kiel itself isn't worth the visit, the small towns around Kiel are lovely: Laboe, Schilksee, Strande. It starts to ooze Scandinavia, including the introduction of a Danish-like accent to the German language.

M

but like others have said the original was probably the best Submarine war story ever told.
    Probably my favourite war film full stop. I've watched it again and again over the years.

I'm a couple of episodes in and have enjoyed it so far, its not trying to copy the original or remake it. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen all of them but it is better than I expected so far.

The scenes inside the Uboat and the boat at sea from outside are very realistic looking.

Watched the first couple of the new series last night and enjoyed it, as other have said it's not a remake more of a sequel. So would recommend giving it a try!

It looks like the U Boat pens at St Nazaire were used for the filming. Went there a few years back, it’s an incredible place, the walls are so thick; it’s no surprise that it’s still standing. There is a submarine there that you can go in and look around. One word; claustrophobic!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    It looks like the U Boat pens at St Nazaire were used for the filming. Went there a few years back, it’s an incredible place, the walls are so thick; it’s no surprise that it’s still standing. There is a submarine there that you can go in and look around. One word; claustrophobic!

Would love to go there.

Master
    Haven't watched it yet but chuckled over this Twitter comment:

"I know: let's take the greatest war TV series ever made and make it a bit less submariney so we can win over all those people who would have loved the original Das Boot but were put off by the U-boat scenes."

Master
    I thought it was brilliant, and I loved the original too.

Liking it so far.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Just spotted that a season 2 is available on catch up. Ep1 playing now

All episodes for season 2 on sky now

Been so long between series 1 & 2 that I had to go back and have S1 recap

Master
    ALARRRMM!

came across 2 nd series more by luck than planning, yep watched first series on VOD really got into it , so far its as good as the first series imo :-)

well that's series 2 binge watched and it gets a thumbs up from me, they have left it so wide open series 3 is without doubt on the cards

Master
    I'm a few episodes in and really enjoying it so far. Would definitely recommend it.

We've watched a few episodes of series 2 and agree so far it's great

Master
    This has moved the DVD of Das Boot back to the top of my must re-watch pile

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    There can be only one.

I agree - watched it again last week : terrific movie.