closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tool recommendations

Craftsman

Tool recommendations

I am about to embark on my first seiko mods. I have most of what I need but don’t currently have tools for placing the hands back on. I have seen the ultra cheap tools with a spring loaded press built into a stand or ones that look more like screw drivers. What should I get? I doubt it will be sensible for me to buy Bergeon tools given the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally use Bergeon 7404-2 and -3, but have the full set of three.

I also have a small spring loaded version like the Horotec ones but I don't use it. I prefer to place the hands on and then inspect under a loupe or microscope as to how they are sitting.

It's a good idea to really smooth down the ends of any of these so that the contact with the hand doesn't tarnish the finish. I would like to try the more expensive Bergeon spring loaded hand press but...I manage without.

Sometimes you want to make sure your movement is secured correctly with a small anvil or post that supports the fourth wheel jewel on the underside. I use a Seitz tool for this with the correctly sized anvil, or for instance with a 6139 there are dedicated Seiko movement holders that do the same job.

Hand levers I use the cheap Chinese ones as I don't like the hand pullers. Again I made sure the surfaces are perfectly smooth and polished so that aswell as using a small plastic baggy the hands and dial aren't danshed or the bag isn't pierced as easily.

Hope that helps.

What Seitz tool do you use to support the fourth wheel Guy, just a bog standard jeweling tool? That must be incredibly fiddly if it is!

Most dedicated movement holders have adjustable posts for jewel support, I usually buy one if I'm doing a caliber I haven't got one for which thankfully isn't very often these days.

The thing is they do build up, I've lost count of the amount I have now - a couple of drawer fulls at least.

The Bergeon "trumpet" hand fitting press is nice but the three in one A&F press is what I use.

It is Duncan. I have a correct Seiko holder for 6139s and 7 series chronos, and have wanted to add more. But when it came to an Omega 1030 it was all I could use to stop the small pinion and post for the seconds hand from slipping from the friction finger. Just the correct sized anvil and then secure the hand carefully.....

What would you use for that instead?

I do like the look of the A&F jobby.

If I had to buy one then a Bergeon 1996 12 1/4 ligne movement holder, but I'm sure I have an oem Omega holder in the drawer for the 1030 calibre.

Cool, cheers. I'll probably get one of those soon now that I know.

A pic of the omega holder would be interesting to see if you find it and get a chance to.