closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marketing spam after selling house

Journeyman

Marketing spam after selling house

Having recently sold my house, I've been receiving spam from moving companies and even energy suppliers. In the age of GDPR, I'm wondering how they manage to get hold of this information. Do estate agents routinely pass this information (or sell) to interested parties? I certainly don't remember waiving my privacy rights when marketing my property! Anyone else experienced this?

I recently got quotes from several storage companies (Big Yellow etc etc). They all required you to enter full address details before giving a price.

Several days later, I was inundated with junk mail from several removal companies.

Grrrr.

Journeyman
    For prevent the spam, I usually use some email software from free services. I put the right filters on keywords that's all.. Recently register for a free testelium account.
    Last edited by Derrils; 27th March 2019 at 10:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk3y View Post
    In the age of GDPR, I'm wondering how they manage to get hold of this information.
    Has the information been sent to you personally or just to the address in question?

I've recently been involved in the sale of an elderly relation's property, and there was a deluge of (paper) mail offering moving services, etc. However, it was all addressed to "The Householder" or "The Resident" rather to her by name. I assumed that this was done to avoid falling foul of data protection legislation.

It's trivially easy to get a list of properties for sale, so people who offer services to house movers will be using these to market to them. I'm sure that I've heard that new parents also tend to get a deluge of marketing spam.

I think it’s something to do with the searches , most solicitors use an outside company to provide a all in one search report, no doubt this company sells your info on! Surprised it hasn’t been clamped down on. When we are selling property it’s a good indicator that the buyers solicitor has submitted searches because as you have said you get littered with junk mail!

Journeyman
    Interesting thoughts! The post is normally addressed to "the householder", which sounds like a loophole that they have exploited! I may ask my solicitor to see whether the information on searches gets sold on or collected by external parties to see if your theory is right!

Master
    Having recently let out a property, it seems to me that Estate Agents are one of the industries that are not all that compliant with GDPR, I think they’ve traditionally made a lot of money from it and are probably finding it hard to swallow letting an income stream go.

That said, I probably forgot to tick a box saying they couldn’t share my details with 3rd parties...

Journeyman
    Phishing email scams send emails that mimic reputable entities like banks, online resources, and credit card companies to trick the receivers into sharing their financial and personal information or downloading malware. The targets may be directed to malicious web sites also posing as legitimate sites where they will be asked to enter login credentials and other personal more info here. the attackers can use to commit identity theft.
    Last edited by Derrils; 31st July 2019 at 09:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrils View Post
    Phishing email scams send emails that mimic reputable entities like banks, online resources, and credit card companies to trick the receivers into sharing their financial and personal information or downloading malware. The targets may be directed to malicious web sites also posing as legitimate sites where they will be asked to enter login credentials and other personal more info the attackers can use to commit identity theft.
    Is there any reason why you have cut and pasted this quote from Quora in order to resurrect this old thread? Especially as it relates to phishing, whereas the thread is about marketing spam, so it's not exactly relevant.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-phishing-email-scams