closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on the JLC Reverso ....

Thoughts on the JLC Reverso ....

Hello there I have got my next watch purchase down to a exployer 1 or JLC Reverso ..always fancied a JLC so if there are any owners out there it would be good to have your thoughts ! In terms of model and how they wear I have a 6.75 wrist so on the small side and at the moment favouring 36-39mm in standard case shape ..the Reverso is of course a rectangle so a different wearing experience I suspect !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tazio View Post
    Hello there I have got my next watch purchase down to a exployer 1 or JLC Reverso ..always fancied a JLC so if there are any owners out there it would be good to have your thoughts ! In terms of model and how they wear I have a 6.75 wrist so on the small side and at the moment favouring 36-39mm in standard case shape ..the Reverso is of course a rectangle so a different wearing experience I suspect !

To broad a question that one. These are 2 very different watches of which I've owned both though I had the 14270 & I suspect you're considering the larger modern version.

You're only ever going to know if a Reverso suits you by going to try one on. There are hundreds of models past & present of all different price points, dial variations & sizes. It's the lug to lug size that I would argue is even more important with a Reverso than any other watch.

Also, the shape of your wrist will matter as the more rounded the less likely a Reverso will sit well especially if the watch is a larger size. I've found the smaller Reverso to be lovely but a little too feminine.

I've had 2; a tribute to 1931 & a Reverso duo date (that I still own) both grande cases with a 50mm+ lug to lug size.

Get yourself to a JLC boutique to try different variations & then look for dial types that you like.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    I bought a jlc reverso duo (270854) recently. I admit I'd never seen one before collecting it and first impression was it's tiny! It's 42 by 26mm and I imagined it along the lines of a 40mm diver but nooo. It wears ok and I've used it a lot, it doesn't look that small but depending on what you wear usually check first as it may not be what you imagine.

Definitely try on some reversos first - l love the way that they look in photos but as soon as I tried one on I realised it was not for me. Looked bent, frankly.

Just try one on. It wears bigger than you’d think. Great watch but not for every wrist shape imho

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    To broad a question that one. These are 2 very different watches of which I've owned both though I had the 14270 & I suspect you're considering the larger modern version.

You're only ever going to know if a Reverso suits you by going to try one on. There are hundreds of models past & present of all different price points, dial variations & sizes. It's the lug to lug size that I would argue is even more important with a Reverso than any other watch.

Also, the shape of your wrist will matter as the more rounded the less likely a Reverso will sit well especially if the watch is a larger size. I've found the smaller Reverso to be lovely but a little too feminine.

I've had 2; a tribute to 1931 & a Reverso duo date (that I still own) both grande cases with a 50mm+ lug to lug size.

Get yourself to a JLC boutique to try different variations & then look for dial types that you like.

No i am considering the 14270 36mm the latest 39mm explorers are not as well balanced ! just my opinion .
    Yes I need to do the JLC boutique thing and try a few ! just nice to have some feed back as well from owners ....

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Looked bent, frankly.
    The watch or your wrist?

Master
    Love the look of them but never tried one. In fact, never seen one in the flesh so I'm not sure how they are size wise.

I've got a small wrist too so would be interested to see photos if you try any on.

I like the look of the Day Night and the Tribute Moon. (That's just from looking at WF, etc..) I prefer the dual face models rather than the display or plain back.

Craftsman
    Hi, I have admired reversos for several years and am fortunate enough to have owned one for the last 18 months or so. I love the design and decorated dials.

Jlc revamped the range a couple of years ago and I now have a large, classic, small seconds, manual wind model. I like to have a second hand so I can see the time passing on my watches and I wanted to keep it simple and pure on a watch like the reverso.

For some reason, jlc don’t make cases to whole millimetres so it measures 45.6 lug to lug, x 27.4 and is 8.5mm thick. I tried a few models on and I immediately felt the “medium” was too small. There is a large duoface model, which is slightly larger than above, including being about 2mm thicker. Doesn’t seem much, but makes quite a difference. Seemed less well proportioned to me at the time.

To me, my watch wears and compares to a “standard”/ round watch of 38/39mm dress watch style, given the relatively slim thickness.

Here’s a couple of pics on my 7in wrist, compared to a 39mm Raymond Weil dress type watch I have.

I would also add it’s got quite a formal feel to it so it doesn’t seem to go with very casual wear. I feel like I at least need to be wearing “proper” leather shoes/ boots and a shirt with a collar to pull off the reverso. The explorer is definitely much more versatile in that respect. Depends what else you have to cover these bases I guess.

The model I have is a current version, so can be seen on the jlc website.

Only thing I would add is that I have recently been toying with the idea of trading mine in for the duoface model, which with hind sight probably wears a bit more like a 40mm sports watch which I might prefer, and has the benefit of having the extra face when you flip it over. Seems a bit of a waste to have nothing there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by D4RW1N; 2nd February 2019 at 13:53.

No i am considering the 14270 36mm the latest 39mm explorers are not as well balanced ! just my opinion .

A very good choice - I think it's a very nice watch & I regret moving mine on.

Here's mine btw

Journeyman

I agree with everyone that they need to be tried on as they wear completely different to any other watch.

I‘ve got a 6.75in wrist and preferred the smaller style due to the large version not sitting on the wrist as well.

Last edited by Mad14; 2nd February 2019 at 14:40.

Agree that you really need to take care with the sizing and how they sit. I first had a Grand Taille which I thought would be the ideal size but in the end it just felt too small and I then settled on the Grande Reverso Night Day Automatic, which is an extra 4mm lug to lug. Not the largest case size but fits perfectly on my 8 inch wrist. The other point worth making is that you get some extra case width with the larger sizes, keeping the golden ratio, and giving more dial area and wrist presence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I need to do the JLC boutique thing and try a few ! just nice to have some feed back as well from owners ....

Have you tried the 39? Because they wear beautifully... as people have already said of the reverso, you wouldn’t want to base your decisions on internet pics and views only.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Have you tried the 39? Because they wear beautifully... as people have already said of the reverso, you wouldn’t want to base your decisions on internet pics and views only.
    Yes lovely watch but I felt for me anyway the proportions of the 39mm watch were not as perfect as the 36mm exployer 1 the thicker bezel and larger dial somehow weren’t as balanced !... just my view I am sure others have a different opinion...

Blog Entries
    Pleas take a look at my review here. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rso-Grand-Date. I won’t repeat it here.

I have flat 6 3/4 wrists - so depends on wrist profile as well as size.

Martyn.

I’d like one of these next. I’m starting to look at smaller watches now. I’m selling a 44mm Panerai to fund one . MartynJC your write up was really helpful. Good pics too.

Thankyou you martyn nice review and great images ......

Master
    Iconic Watch and fairly under the radar.
    I particularly like some of the GMT (Duo) models.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Reverso is a great model. I'd suggest trying smaller and bigger models, but I prefer a slightly smaller size, so there's still some space to see a little bit of my wrist.

Good luck with selecting!

Craftsman
    As has been noted above - the reverso really needs to be tried on to see if your wrist shape suits. I’ve had the classique first and now have a duo - I wouldn’t not have a reverso of some sort..

That said, also got the other the OP is considering - both very different watches for different styles.. the 14270/114270 you could beat the heck out of.. the reverso I really would keep dry.. for travelling, though, a duo is a fine thing :)

I’ve got very flat topped wrists at about 6.5”.. the grande cased reverso you need to try for fit as lug to lug they are large (I’ve not quite convinced myself that a rouge won’t fit, but it’s not small)..

al

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    , and has the benefit of having the extra face when you flip it over. Seems a bit of a waste to have nothing there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly this - I had the La Squadra and convinced my self it looked casual but even on the rubber strap it felt rather formal. To be fair on the watch it is probably because I had other far more casual watches but I agree it is a fairly formal watch.

I also found the reverso pointless as the beautifully engineered mechanism just revealed a display back (and a very nice movement). I did like the fact you could hide the GMT hand behind the hour hand as I hate exposed GMT hands when not travelling. Although we deal with people in the US it isn’t often enough by phone to be of real use.

If I wore a suit more I would have kept it as the watch itself is really nice but I would get one with something useful on the reverse.

I keep jonesing the mid-size Classic. The only one I would entertain. Some savage grey market discounts on them.

Thankyou gents ...lots of good replies yes I had thought the JLC rather formal and I already have a Dornblüth 99.1 which I love for when the going isn’t tough ...my Sinn 856 and cwc serve that purpose ...the problem is I also love the classic 36mm exployer ..maybe both :))

Journeyman
    I bought mine here from SC. Hadn’t worn it for a while but this thread has inspired me to put it back on for this week. Id almost forgotten, the Gran sport has an incredible comfortable bracelet.

Craftsman
    I love these, but just a bit too small. I bought a Squadra, and its perfect imo!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    I bought mine here from SC. Hadn’t worn it for a while but this thread has inspired me to put it back on for this week. Id almost forgotten, the Gran sport has an incredible comfortable bracelet.
    I have a Gran Sport too, exactly like this one. Of all the watch companies JLC are my favourite, and my Reverso is fantastic. Try some models out, and take your time. And enjoy.

Master
    Love the gold sun moon reverso

picture stolen from the web.*