closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 197

Thread: Six Nations 2019

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1

    Six Nations 2019

    Watching Wales at the minute pulled the game back from 16 down . Kicking has been dire from both sides.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    The French have threw it away in the last minutes

  3. #3
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Watching France deseperately snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Unbelievable.

    Hopefully they will come back simply because they have been the ones actually playing (and making stupid mistakes).

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Fair play to the Welsh they have played well second half

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,666
    Not a rugby fan, but this has been quite good to watch!

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good win for Wales after being 16-0 down.

    Big one in Dublin tomorrow England v Ireland not for the faint hearted. Come on England.
    Last edited by hilly10; 2nd February 2019 at 08:06.

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Good win for Wales after being 16-0 down.

    Big one at Twickers tomorrow England v Ireland not for the faint hearted. Come on England.
    Except it's in Dublin... but agreed it's a big game.

  8. #8
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    245
    Frustrated with our slow start pleased that we stuck to it. Our bench had a significant impact.

    Can't wait for the home games.

    Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    301
    Only managed to watch the first half of france vs wales. Very surprised when I saw the final score!

    Tough tough task for England tomorrow having only won once in the last seven times they've played Ireland in Dublin.

  10. #10
    Master Chinnock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    7,278
    Fantastic comeback from Wales, well deserved indeed.

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    394
    A game of two halves indeed ..... its important to be able to win ugly!

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    To be honest Wales had it handed to them on a plate

  13. #13
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bath,UK
    Posts
    197
    Only caught the second half - France were awful! Must have been a very slippery ball for that many fumbles...

  14. #14
    Master unclealec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,874
    Wales didn't win - France lost.
    I feel for Rouget (?), I really do. That was one of the most embarrassing gaffes in the history of Rugby ( I think I am responsible for all the others) which he will not be allowed to forget.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,601
    Definitely a case of France losing it, rather than Wales winning it.

    Reminded me so much of the Scottish football team, theyíve been past masters at grasping defeat from the jaws of victory for years now.

  16. #16
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Wales didn't win - France lost.
    I feel for Rouget (?), I really do. That was one of the most embarrassing gaffes in the history of Rugby ( I think I am responsible for all the others) which he will not be allowed to forget.

    ^^^^^^ This. I thought Wales was very poor for much of the game, but in fairness took their opportunities when France gifted them 2 tries. France were the better team for 75 minutes of the match.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  17. #17
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Interest start in the England/Ireland game, but I have my doubt about how it will be ref'ed.

    Romain ref'ed the last Exeter/Munster match I saw, and was less than impressed. I got the impression he favoured Munster.

    Looks like nothing has changed.
    Last edited by Andyg; 2nd February 2019 at 18:07.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  18. #18
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,756
    Ref making the right calls thus far. England looking a level above Ireland, should be out of sight by now and clearly a fully firing Billy is the difference between England being 3rd best team in the world (Ignore Wales being ranked higher that's nonsense) and 1st or 2nd.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    N Ireland
    Posts
    2,015
    Ireland totally shocking today. Stockdale had an awful game, Murray not much better, the entire side out of sorts. England by far the better side and well worth the win.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    England so much in charge, just loved that.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    3,740
    Well done England, shaping up to be a classic 6N this one.

    I donít get all the Welsh negative comments though, a bit unnecessary really. And the rankings donít lie generally speaking...

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Interest start in the England/Ireland game, but I have my doubt about how it will be ref'ed.

    Romain ref'ed the last Exeter/Munster match I saw, and was less than impressed. I got the impression he favoured Munster.

    Looks like nothing has changed.


    Jerome Garces was the referee. Romain Poite was running one of the lines.

    Here's the full list of officials for the tournament: https://rugby365.com/countries/engla...19-six-nations

    We get Nigel Owens next weekend when we play France.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

  23. #23
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ref making the right calls thus far. England looking a level above Ireland, should be out of sight by now and clearly a fully firing Billy is the difference between England being 3rd best team in the world (Ignore Wales being ranked higher that's nonsense) and 1st or 2nd.

    Just look at the stats. I am not talking about dirty play, I am talking the technical penalties that Romain awarded. As for the penality against May, when he was being held in, and the numerous instances of "lazy running" by Ireland, it was a joke.

    I actually dont mind poor referees, as long as it's equally bad for both teams - but it wasn't. He had to check 4 of England's try's - disallowing one ( even o'Driscol thought it was a try), but didn't check either of Ireland's. Hardly balanced!

    That said - a great result for England especially having to play 16 men. Eddie will be pleased.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  24. #24
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Just look at the stats. I am not talking about dirty play, I am talking the technical penalties that Romain awarded. As for the penality against May, when he was being held in, and the numerous instances of "lazy running" by Ireland, it was a joke.

    I actually dont mind poor referees, as long as it's equally bad for both teams - but it wasn't. He had to check 4 of England's try's - disallowing one ( even o'Driscol thought it was a try), but didn't check either of Ireland's. Hardly balanced!

    That said - a great result for England especially having to play 16 men. Eddie will be pleased.
    Ok but he declined to check for a forward pass for Slade's first try and the ball went a good 2 years forward. He only checked for the offside

  25. #25
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    [QUOTE=Backward point;5013806]Jerome Garces was the referee. Romain Poite was running one of the lines.

    Here's the full list of officials for the tournament: https://rugby365.com/countries/engla...19-six-nations

    We get Nigel Owens next weekend when we play France.

    You are right -I got the right person, but the wrong name, but it was the same guy who ref'ed the Munster game.

    As for Nigel, he is like a good cheese or wine - gets a bit better with age.

    What was your take on the England disallowed try?
    Last edited by Andyg; 2nd February 2019 at 20:30.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  26. #26
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Ok but he declined to check for a forward pass for Slade's first try and the ball went a good 2 years forward. He only checked for the offside

    It was flat that's why.

    But my point is that the touch judge didn't flag, yet he still felt the need to check. Why? No one was arguing, there was do disagreement, yet he still wanted to check. Its a shame that whilst they were checking, they did not check what happened to May after his kick though, otherwise an Ireland player might have gone to the bin, as he seemed keen on that.

    But in the interest of balance , why did he did not check the Ireland second try and what looked like a forward pass - it wasn't, but he didn't check it. Perhaps he was happy with the touch judge on that occasion.

    But its all history now.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  27. #27
    [QUOTE=Andyg;5013812]
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Jerome Garces was the referee. Romain Poite was running one of the lines.

    Here's the full list of officials for the tournament: https://rugby365.com/countries/engla...19-six-nations

    We get Nigel Owens next weekend when we play France.

    You are right -I got the right person, but the wrong name, but it was the same guy who ref'ed the Munster game.

    As for Nigel, he is like a good cheese or wine - get a bit better with age.

    What was your take on the England disallowed try?
    Even with the benefit of slow motion replays it was almost impossible to tell if it was a double movement or not, and when Garces spoke to the TMO I thought that he said that the on-field decision was that it was a try, so the TMO should only disallow it if there's a clear reason to do so.

    Notwithstanding that, England really stood up today, and didn't allow Ireland to get into any kind of rhythm, or play expansive rugby. It was a clinical display, and Ireland will be hurting tonight. I might have to eat humble pie over my opinions of Jonny May and Elliot Daly as well, although Mike Brown is so much better at dealing with a high ball than Daly.

    A bonus point win in Ireland, though. I wasn't expecting that, and we've put ourselves in prime position for the Championship now.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

  28. #28
    Here's a question for the rugby nerds, if there is such a thing:

    Have both Vunipolas and Manu Tuilagi played together for England before today?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

  29. #29
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Well done England, shaping up to be a classic 6N this one.

    I donít get all the Welsh negative comments though, a bit unnecessary really. And the rankings donít lie generally speaking...
    France imploded and blew a 16 point lead. France were the better team on the night, but Wales were luckier. Actually I think Wales really missed Halfpenny and will be a better team on his return.

    But Wales Vs Ireland, England and Scotland (2 at home) will be a much better indicator of where Wales currently sit in the lead up to the WC than the current rankings.

    All we do know is that NZ are defo number 1.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    France imploded and blew a 16 point lead. France were the better team on the night, but Wales were luckier. Actually I think Wales really missed Halfpenny and will be a better team on his return.

    But Wales Vs Ireland, England and Scotland (2 at home) will be a much better indicator of where Wales currently sit in the lead up to the WC than the current rankings.

    All we do know is that NZ are defo number 1.
    Sure, France crumbled, but they were put under more pressure second half and Wales took their chances. North had to be in those positions to take advantage and score both tries in the first place.

    Better team? The one that won, just like todayís games...

    Wales made plenty of errors too I agree, conditions werenít the best after all, but Ďold Walesí would have buckled I think and to win despite that is a huge positive.

    A wake up call for Ireland today, and probably not a bad thing in a WC year, and a much needed boost for England after results of late as well.

    Thatís why I think this 6N is shaping up to be a good one, hopefully there will be some cracking games to come whoever you support.

  31. #31
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Here's a question for the rugby nerds, if there is such a thing:

    Have both Vunipolas and Manu Tuilagi played together for England before today?

    Great question, perhaps in an autumn test or with the Saxons, but I cannot think of a 6N or WC match. Usually one of then is broken.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Great question, perhaps in an autumn test or with the Saxons, but I cannot think of a 6N or WC match. Usually one of then is broken.
    Thereís still time! They donít have the best records with regard to injuries do they.

    Fine players though (Tigers season ticket holder here!).

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Durham UK
    Posts
    315
    Ireland were always going to loose today. Look at Rory Best's facial expressions during the anthems!

    Sport is a confidence trip.

  34. #34
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Thereís still time! They donít have the best records with regard to injuries do they.

    Fine players though (Tigers season ticket holder here!).

    If all the games are high impact like todays then I am sure one will get broken. It was a bit worrying to see Maro limp off - hopefully nothing serious as he is perhaps the best 4 in the world at the moment.

    It must be tough watching the Tigers at the moment, but I have no doubt they will get back to winning ways. Plus it could be worse, you might be a Bath or Glos Fan

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    Get used to it we are England everyone is against us ie hand of god,and the goal that never was Lampard

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Ireland were always going to loose today. Look at Rory Best's facial expressions during the anthems!

    Sport is a confidence trip.
    Youíre absolutely right!

    I donít sit and watch much sport on the telly but that was an enjoyable match.

  37. #37
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Ireland were always going to loose today. Look at Rory Best's facial expressions during the anthems!

    Sport is a confidence trip.

    I watched it again, and you were so right. Not sure whether it was the emotion of the day or whether he knew something we didn't.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,650
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Get used to it we are England everyone is against us ie hand of god,and the goal that never was Lampard
    Russian linesman.
    I rest my case.

  39. #39
    Grand Master PickleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    M25 J6 UK
    Posts
    13,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Jerome Garces was the referee. Romain Poite was running one of the lines.

    Here's the full list of officials for the tournament: https://rugby365.com/countries/engla...19-six-nations

    We get Nigel Owens next weekend when we play France.
    Also available via this link: World Rugby Officiating Appointments.

  40. #40
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    301
    Very good performance by england yesterday. What should eddie do once shields and underhill are fit again? Thought Curry and Wilson were excellent.

    Tuilagi's return to the national side was fantastic. His line speed in defence really did prevent Ireland for getting any momentum in attack. I just really hope him and the vunipola brothers can stay fit and injury free. I suspect that will be a very big ask!

  41. #41
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Very good performance by england yesterday. What should eddie do once shields and underhill are fit again? Thought Curry and Wilson were excellent.

    Tuilagi's return to the national side was fantastic. His line speed in defence really did prevent Ireland for getting any momentum in attack. I just really hope him and the vunipola brothers can stay fit and injury free. I suspect that will be a very big ask!
    I think he could play Underhill and Curry, we did ok with to no7s in 2003 :-) (before I get lambasted I know its not apples with apples) but I like Curry and Underhill I think either could play 6. Curry put such pressure on Sexton. We now have two proper no7s, exciting times.

  42. #42
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    .
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    I think he could play Underhill and Curry, we did ok with to no7s in 2003 :-) (before I get lambasted I know its not apples with apples) but I like Curry and Underhill I think either could play 6. Curry put such pressure on Sexton. We now have two proper no7s, exciting times.
    I think youíd be hard pushed to drop Wilson as heís been brilliant since coming in. Also Underhill, as impressive as he is, being made of matchsticks might be an issue!

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    I think youíd be hard pushed to drop Wilson as heís been brilliant since coming in. Also Underhill, as impressive as he is, being made of matchsticks might be an issue!
    Agree, Wilson has been very good! he is solid - If underhill is fit though, I would like to see him on the park but am definitely not unhappy with Wilson. Nice to see someone come through at a relatively older age (he is 29 I think?)

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,966
    Blog Entries
    1
    France up next for us on Sunday, I cannot wait

  45. #45
    What a great weekend of rugby, 3 great games, and England are looking strong again at last. I hope they can maintain their form, some tough games to come.

  46. #46
    England have chosen to start Chris Ashton on the right wing, with Nowell on the bench, Lawes replaces Itoje, with Joe Launchbury on the bench.

    Best news of all from the French camp - "butterfingers" Huget is moved to full-back! Ben Youngs is probably practicing box-kicks even as I write this! Let's see how he copes with a few high bombs!

    Bastaraud returns and he'll find himself up against Tuilagi. Which could prove interesting. Having watched quite a few European games recently, Bastaraud seems to have lost the hunger a bit, whereas Manu is playing as though he has a point to prove.

    France haven't won at Twickenham for a decade and a half. They will be somewhat chastened by the manner of their defeat by Wales in Paris, so they will undoubtedly look to make a point this weekend. It's a cliche as old as the sport itself, but which French team will turn up at Twickenham? Or will they do as they did in Paris and play one half with each team?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

  47. #47
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Aston to start, with Nowell providing a more destructive force in the second half when France are blowing, could work very well. Plus it means that Eddie is shuffling his deck each game because its tactical and not enforced. The team we watch will be different to the team we play against Italy that's for sure.

    Massively important that George and Lawes steps up in the line out, especially with no Itoje to throw to, and perhaps another reason to bring an old head like Cole back into the forwards.

    It should be a cracker and another opportunity for England to repay the favour France did to them last year.

    Match of the weekend however must be Scotland Vs Ireland. Will we see the Scottish thistle actually deliver on its promise and bloom, or will Ireland demonstrate that last week was just a short break in normal service. It will be close and very dependant upon how Connor Murray and Sexton play. One thing for certain is the ref is going to have to listen to a lot a whining from both sides, but Laidlaw must top the ranking for "get in the refs ear" - personally I would like to see players binned for this more often.


    As for Wales/Italy, if the Italians can keep the penality count down and their heads, then they might just prevent Wales getting a bonus point.

    Closer to home, my son has a Colts match against Devizes tonight. Scary stuff.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  48. #48
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Message to Maccer.

    Your email inbox is full up mate

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Aston to start,

    Closer to home, my son has a Colts match against Devizes tonight. Scary stuff.
    I grew up in Devizes and used to be a regular at the sports club, still visit my Mum there- good luck to your son!

  50. #50
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    21,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I grew up in Devizes and used to be a regular at the sports club, still visit my Mum there- good luck to your son!
    Thats very kind of you. Thanks. Actually we have Rocco's nephew playing for us at 9, so hopefully fingers crossed.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •