closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Six Nations 2019

Master
    Blog Entries
    Disaster for me on Sunday, it’s my Granddaughter’s 6th birthday and the table is booked for 15.30 so looking forward to this game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Disaster for me on Sunday, it’s my Granddaughter’s 6th birthday and the table is booked for 15.30 so looking forward to this game as well.

Ouch! You have my sympathies, but time with the family always trumps sport.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Scotland v Ireland at the moment is frantic and intriguing, it’s great game for us neutral’s

Hmmmm, just watched the Ireland/Scotland game and with the exception of 2 great Irish try's (one, the result of double missed tackle) I was rather disappointed.

Not sure what has happened to Ireland, but they seem to have lost something. Not sure whether it's the hunger, or desire, or what, but they appear to be going through the motions. A bit sad and reminiscent of England at the back end of Lancaster reign. Perhaps best typified by that set of plays at around 70minutes. Which consisted of about 20 Irish pick and goes, and no yardage made. They deserved to win,but if they play like that against a good France or Wales they will come unstuck. Perhaps its the classic second album syndrome.

As for Scotland, same as usual - disapointing. Good in parts, bad in parts, and awful in parts. What seems to be lacking is a couple of really good ball carriers, not Greg Laidlaw (to slow, to predicable), and some actual confidence and self belief in themselves. I really rate Hogg, so him coming off did not help, but you cannot build a team around a 15 - just ask Mike Brown

Wales and Italy next. I would love to think Italy might get a losing bonus point to be honest, but cannot see it happening

As an aside my son survived his game yesterday, with just a black eye. His team lost 12-29, but it was 12-12 at half time. The problem it seems, was his team finished with just 13 players and Devizes had "drafted in" 6 players from Chippenham so had a much bigger bench. Also the lack of replacements meant he had to switch from outside centre to second row. Poor lad, but it was an honourable defeat I feel.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good news for me Table cancelled as both grandchildren are unwell, so I will watch the match. Just switched the TV on to watch Italy v Wales.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Italy doing well at the moment, fully expect them to tire and Wales will run in a few scores

Again, rather underwhelmed by Wales. Yes it was Italy away in Rome, but even so. Especially after their performance last week - surely an opportunity to kick on and show us some razzle dazzle.

It was clear that Wales actually just wanted the win because Biggar was happy to kick the points rather than try for the bonus point - that might come back to haunt them come the end of the season. , but to me it demonstrated a lack of believe and weakness.

Perhaps they are saving themselves for next weekend - which could be a grand slam decider. However contrats to them on getting 11 straight wins.

As for Italy. Getting better, but still are missing 2-3 really good players. Perhaps they need to visit Australia, Argentina and South Africa again, because currently as Italy improve, so do the teams they are playing against.

2-2 on try's does however still feel like a fair result so Italy can hold their heads up high.

France tomorrow and it should be a cracker. The contest between Manu and Bastareaud should be spectacular. Beauty Vs the Beast.

I doubt it will be a game full of flair, more a war of attrition, but I still expect try's, especially when players start to tire.

England to win by 20+

Hopefully.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great score after 60 seconds

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brilliant England in the first half very nearly out of sight.

Thoughts Andy

Paul

Then France go and score

Brilliant England in the first half very nearly out of sight.

Thoughts Andy

Paul

Then France go and score

I wonder what the French are thinking when they know that England will soon deploy the Brench - including Nowell for Aston.

Anyone who has played the game will recognise the gulf in class between France and England. Men against boys. It's a bit sad really.

Wales must be watching this and thinking "holy crap"!

Friedrich Nietzsche

Austin Healey and Curry, is there a player called Heuer by any chance?
    "A man of little significance"

I had to check that the name in blue wasn't Italy! Nigel Owens is the referee on whom all other referees should model themselves.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes the Ref has had a good game, love hoe he dealt with the fracas, cool and calm and with authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I had to check that the name in blue wasn't Italy! Nigel Owens is the referee on whom all other referees should model themselves.
    Agree with this. He is a very fair consistent ref

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

I think the reaction of the crowd at HQ sumerized the game perfectly. A group of rugby fans silently watching a contest between two totally unmatched competitors with what could be best described as morbid curiosity.

It reminded me of an England Vs South Africa game I attended in the early 00's which saw England win by 45+ On that day fans actually felt sorry for SA. I think they felt similar pity for the Froggies.

France were poor, but then if England had maintained the performances levels in the first half, then they could have easily been beaten by 60+ points, which turns it from a bad performance (another one) to total surrender.

But fair play to England - they can only play and beat who turns up. Plus they were excellent for 70 minutes.

Nice one Eddie
    Last edited by Andyg; 10th February 2019 at 18:23.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Agree with this. He is a very fair consistent ref

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

It would be perfect if Wayne Barnes and Nigel Owen had a love child. The outspring would make the perfect ref.

Its all about consistency in approach, allow the game to flow, talk to the players, but don't take any crap, not be overly fussy and keep the game as safe as possible. Simples.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It would be perfect if Wayne Barnes and Nigel Owen had a love child. The outspring would make the perfect ref.

Its all about consistency in approach, allow the game to flow, talk to the players, but don't take any crap, not be overly fussy and keep the game as safe as possible. Simples.
    His comms with the players is second to none - like a headmaster.

Eddie just said was not happy with first hslf performance and England played a lot better second half........He is a gem haha

Our skill levels just look so much better - ball handling skills are so much improved, great tot watch.

Craftsman
    Another good performance by England. France's poor international performance continues to disappoint. Given the strength in the Top 14 they really should be a very good side. There's an argument that there's far too much foreign talent in the Top 14 but many of the French nationals put in fanatstic performances week in week out. They just can't seem to gel / replicate on the international stage at the moment.

Good perfromance but I did think England missed too many tackles, suspect a side like the All Blacks would have punished that sort of carelessness as France very nearly did on occasion.

England superb for the first 50 minutes or so. Even better than last week, but need to make fewer mistakes.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    Eddies as said England are not the finished article and should get better, time will tell

Master
    Scotland v Ireland at the moment is frantic and intriguing, it’s great game for us neutral’s
    Referee wasn't neutral...!!

What I like about England this season is that they suddenly seem able to see what is happening in front of them, see gaps and play accordingly, whereas Eddie's teams before seemed only able to drop in at half time to receive a new set of instructuions if the first half ones weren't working.
    France however, did not react at all. They were totally at sea in dealing with England's kicks over the top or through to the back, which they did for almost all the scores. Half the time there was absolutely no-one there, because the full-back had been stretched out of position (or called in to attack) and no-one was covering.
    Dave

Edit - I should add that Mitchell will roast a few people for the one France try, missed tackles all the way through

Master
    Blog Entries
    Its hard for 100% concentration when you are in total control it happens to the best of us, have to agree though, it should be discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Referee wasn't neutral...!!

Having played/watched 1000's of games over the years, it is very rare to find a ref who was completely neutral. At school/club level the best I hoped for was equality incompetent and not vindictive.

I did think Scotland were on the end of a couple of poor calls, but I genuinely don't think it changed the outcome of the match - Ireland were the better team over 80 minutes.

Laidlaws comments, were just Laidlaw being Laidlaw. He has lots of previous and blamed Joubert (who is also rubbish) when they lost in 2016.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't help tittering when I read...

Fickou Bastereau

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anybody else relishing the up coming battle v Wales on Saturday I think it’s going to be a cracker

Arrow

Anybody else relishing the up coming battle v Wales on Saturday I think it’s going to be a cracker

Oh yeh! Looks as if Itjoe will still be missing, Maco is a defo non-starter, but other than that the squad looks good and healthy.

Still not clear whether Halfpenny and Biggar will play. Hopefully both will, because Halfpenny (although top quality) is not the same player he was 3 years ago and Biggar is just shite .

According to Flatman "it will be close", with England winning by 15 . Actually I can see it being more than that based upon Wales performances so far and how England played against France and Ireland.

But if England do get turned over, it will be because they blew it, rather than Wales winning it. IMHO.

Bloody exciting all the same.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    I am, but also a bit nervous about it! England look very good going on their first two games, whereas we look a bit underdone.

As ever, as long as we play the game we’re capable of then we can win it, and being at home will help a bit if the crowd get going. I couldn’t get a ticket sadly, so will be watching with a group of friends, most of which are England fans...

Quite an interesting piece on WalesOnLine about how a group of boffins/experts have used mathematical modelling to predict the outcome of this weekends matches.

Here are the predicted results for this weekend

• Wales 20-19 England
    • France 22-22 Scotland
    • Italy 11-49 Ireland.

It also mentions how the ref previously sent off Moriarty against the Pumas and how he failed to act against Farrell for his "tackle" against Australia in the Autumn. They also mentionef that Jaco favoured team's who are in the dominance.

All good fun irrespective of the final result - hopefully.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Fun, as it should be really!

One of the things I love about Rugby is the genuine friendliness of the respective fans.

How else could I have worn my Welsh shirt in a Lincolnshire rugby club at the last RWC when Wales beat England, and I had more beers purchased for me than even I could drink!

I like the way rugby is played hard, but everybody shakes hands and moves on at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Fun, as it should be really!

One of the things I love about Rugby is the genuine friendliness of the respective fans.

How else could I have worn my Welsh shirt in a Lincolnshire rugby club at the last RWC when Wales beat England, and I had more beers purchased for me than even I could drink!

I like the way rugby is played hard, but everybody shakes hands and moves on at the end.
    Totally agree. I was fortunate enough to watch the England Vs Australia game last year sat in the Penallta RFC in the Valleys with a group of under 17 English Colts (on Tour). It was a blast.

Nice people and great Sausage Sandwiches, but I really don't understand the Chicken Curry with Chips and Rice thing

Friedrich Nietzsche

Kenneth Peter Horne at stand-off for Scotland in Paris. The French must be absolutely brique-ing it!
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman

Smile

Quite an interesting piece on WalesOnLine about how a group of boffins/experts have used mathematical modelling to predict the outcome of this weekends matches.

Here are the predicted results for this weekend

• Wales 20-19 England
    • France 22-22 Scotland
    • Italy 11-49 Ireland.

It also mentions how the ref previously sent off Moriarty against the Pumas and how he failed to act against Farrell for his "tackle" against Australia in the Autumn. They also mentionef that Jaco favoured team's who are in the dominance.

All good fun irrespective of the final result - hopefully.
    I find the Wales/England prediction difficult to take Andy . England are an exceptionally strong team , great front 5 and 8 matched with very competent half backs which together I always say (ad nauseam apparently ) make up the spine of the team .Their 11 to 15 are very good also .Wales i.e. EJ's "strongest Welsh team ever " are not very impressive but it is a home game for them .Even so ,how about 17-35 ?.Mind you I have been known to be wrong .
    BTW your curry meal in Penallta is known as an "arf and arf "

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I find the Wales/England prediction difficult to take Andy . England are an exceptionally strong team , great front 5 and 8 matched with very competent half backs which together I always say (ad nauseam apparently ) make up the spine of the team .Their 11 to 15 are very good also .Wales i.e. EJ's "strongest Welsh team ever " are not very impressive but it is a home game for them .Even so ,how about 17-35 ?.Mind you I have been known to be wrong .
    BTW your curry meal in Penallta is known as an "arf and arf "

Arf and arf indeed, but I still don't quite get the chips AND rice bit, but it was "lush"

I agree on the predicting the score, however the fact that WalesOnLine posted it made it quite interesting. As for the Strongest Wales Team ever statement Gatland is peddling - ridiculous even in the modern era, especially as players like Warbuton and Williams (Shane) are missing. Plus i am not sure home advantage really helps them now as much as it did at the Arms Park. In fact Englands last 2 trips to Wales resulted in wins. In fact the last time Wales beat England was in 2015 (pre -Eddie).

Dont get me wrong, Wales could pull of a fanstatic win against England, however previous performances this year, the depth of their squad and lack of genuine game changers would suggest that England will win. Like Flatman, I have England by 15+

(Hopefully.)

Friedrich Nietzsche

Arf and arf indeed, but I still don't quite get the chips AND rice bit, but it was "lush"
    .)
    Served Wednesdays in the DVLA canteen in Swansea. Absolutely delicious.

Also a good option many years ago in the Wembley stadium workers’ canteen with the added bonus of peas or baked beans. Lovely chicken curry with baked beans stirred in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Lovely chicken curry with baked beans stirred in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thats just wrong.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Not sure I'd have england beating Wales by 15+. Wales are a cracking team who have played shite so far but still won and they showed great mental strength to come back from the dead against France. I think it will be very close

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Not sure I'd have england beating Wales by 15+. Wales are a cracking team who have played shite so far but still won and they showed great mental strength to come back from the dead against France. I think it will be very close

I think it will I'll be in the first half, however Englands bench should make a big difference. But it's only guess work otherwise I would be a very rich man. As for the Welsh comeback against France, true, but they were aided and abetted by France who pressed the self destruct button, something I very much doubt England will do.

I also fancy France to beat Scotland purely on the basis they cannot play any worse than their last two games and that Hogg is out.
    Last edited by Andyg; 21st February 2019 at 22:27.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    On form its England, but over the years we have seen Wales lift their game and the physicality against England even when England get off to a fast start - so I am always nervous of this fixture. Logic often goes out the window in this one.

I don't see the current Wales side as 'great' but then again loo at how bad England was last year....

Hopefully a great game.

Master
    Blog Entries
    All in all guys it will make for a great early evening. I say England by 6 points

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    On form its England, but over the years we have seen Wales lift their game and the physicality against England even when England get off to a fast start - so I am always nervous of this fixture. Logic often goes out the window in this one.

I don't see the current Wales side as 'great' but then again loo at how bad England was last year....

Hopefully a great game.

England were bad last year (well, sort of lost their way rather than bad), but they still managed to beat Wales (who had a better 6 Nations) by 6 points. Two try's by May - the same guy who just got a hat trick against France

I still think the ef will have a part to play in this match, especially with 60k screaming Welshman on his back, but will reserve judgement until after the game

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    All in all guys it will make for a great early evening. I say England by 6 points
    Would take that and run. 6 nations is so competitive these last few seasons, its great and we are starting to see the benefits when the northern hemisphere play the southern boys.

Master
    Heading to Cardiff tomorrow with modest expectations - as a Welshman. But also, and strangely maybe, with hopes rising...

Come on Wales!

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Best Team Ever Nonsense

Take a look here :https://www.rugbypass.com/news/engla...ficant-mistake

Not sure about the travel arrangements .I would expect England's bus driver to be aware of potential problems at the tunnels which can show up whenever there are evening events a The Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    Heading to Cardiff tomorrow with modest expectations - as a Welshman. But also, and strangely maybe, with hopes rising...

Come on Wales!

Very envious. Irrespective of the results, you will be there to experience what is one of the greatest events in sport. Enjoy the day, especially as none of it really matters as soon as the World Cup starts.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    Right the Lasagna is made and ready to warm through, the Red is ready also the beer, bring it on. The son in laws daughters and grandkids, we are all set for a late afternoon early evening and a great Rugby match.

Master
    Very envious. Irrespective of the results, you will be there to experience what is one of the greatest events in sport. Enjoy the day, especially as none of it really matters as soon as the World Cup starts.
    Indeed. The best sport, played in one of the best stadia, in one of the best cities. Whoever plays who, beyond the group games, is the unknown but also the attraction of the world cup. Wales V England in rugby union is one of the great, and guaranteed, annual rivalries in sport. I love the fact that I can share my hip-flask with whomever is sitting next to me, English or Welsh. And I'm lucky enough to share the day with my best friend of over 30 years.

Cymru am byth

Well that was fun. Scotland were poor, France were better, but not much. In fact the reason they were improved was because Scotland for the first 60 minutes were shocking.

If Scotland want to improve they really need to drop Laidlaw. He ambled around the pitch mostly whinging to the ref, made slow ball even slower, kicked poorly and even managed to miss a simple penalty opportunity. Hugely disapointing game management. Ally Price is the future.

To few good Scottish performances, but I did like Hastings. Alas rugby is a team game.

France if anything were on the wrong side of the ref, especially the 1st and 4th disallowed tried. Very harsh. Kicking remains a huge problem and demonstrates how lucky England are to have Farrell and Daly in its team.

Now listening to some Welsh pundits telling us how poor England are and why Wales will win.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    England throwing this game away two stupid penalties