closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Confusing town centre signage

Master

Confusing town centre signage

I read this and have a great deal of sympathy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-47175357

I drove into Manchester city centre last year, for the first time in years. The number of signs - actually at junctions - with lots of small print giving details of what access was and wasn't allowed, which vehicles weren't allowed to go ahead/turn left/turn right, and at what times of day/week and in what circumstances was ridiculous. The idea that you can read, process and then act on detailed signs, in heavy traffic particularly, in seconds is a nonsense.

Around the same time, a friend who lives in Manchester was caught by some sly minor change.

If there aren't standards for signs, there should be. If lots of careful drivers who are trying to keep to the rules are getting caught, there's something wrong. It's just another stealth tax under the guise of traffic management.

I've never even heard of a 'bus gate' before. Don't have those kind of things out here in the middle of nowhere.

I presume that there is signage telling drivings that there is a bus gate ahead - way before they actually find themselves confronted with it. But from that link it doesn't seem to be the case. In fact why are cars even allowed onto that road initially if it's not a through route. Seems ridiculous to me, just another damn money making scam.

Grand Master
    I agree, sometimes there's just too much information to take in very quickly, especially if you're a stranger.

Trying to find your way in a strange town/city AND trying to keep on the right side of the dos and don'ts whilst trying not to hit anything is a challenge to say the least and it gets no easier as you get older.

Nowadays I follow my late fathers advice.....if in doubt follow the car in front.

I live near Chelmsford and i know this bridge with the bus gate. The signage all along this road right down to the Train and bus station is a bit of a mess.

This story was on our local BBC news last night and there was a few drivers caught out whilst they were filming. Its always been a bottleneck and damn dangerous for commuters/pedestrians as the footpath used to be very narrow under the bridge.

I remember when growing up seeing a lorry stuck under the bridge!, as large vehicles used to have to use the middle of the road to get through, a bit of a nightmare at rush hour.

Anybody who lives near or is from Chelmsford knows that this is a Bus Gate, as the road layout was changed many years ago now when the old bus station was refurbished/ extended

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Nowadays I follow my late fathers advice.....if in doubt follow the car in front.
    A bloke behind me in Manchester made the mistake of doing that!

Where did he end ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Where did he end ?

He followed my U-turn!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo12 View Post
    Anybody who lives near or is from Chelmsford knows that this is a Bus Gate, as the road layout was changed many years ago now when the old bus station was refurbished/ extended
    I think that's the problem I had in Manchester; my knowledge was out of date. It's clearly not "fair" if signs are not clear enough to advise strangers.

I agree david the other problem is your bombarded with signage, whilst still trying to drive! keep to speed limits ect

Its bad road planning/signage on Essex County councils part, some thing had to be done at this bridge as there has been problems for years but i think the council over indulged in signage!

Taking a cynical point of view , they wanted to make sure there was enough signage to be able to make Fines stick if anyone broke the rules!