closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch design software

Watch design software

Hi guys. Got a mini project I need to do which will involve the design of a watch (dial and bezel). Does anyone know of a half decent app or online tool for such a task? Would be likely to only use it once so free would be preferable.

Can you use CAD software? Draftsight by Dassault Systems is free for individual use.

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    Can you use CAD software? Draftsight by Dassault Systems is free for individual use.

Cheers,

Plug
    I’ll try find that and have a look

Journeyman
    For precision works (like jewellery) there's matrix that's based on rhinoceros but it's expensive (several thousand dollars) and requires a high spec computer

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Hi guys. Got a mini project I need to do which will involve the design of a watch (dial and bezel). Does anyone know of a half decent app or online tool for such a task? Would be likely to only use it once so free would be preferable.
    Just getting you hands on software isn’t going to help you in anyway. You’d need to learn it and have a graphic / product design background helps massively ( making assumption you don’t have one otherwise you’d not be asking )

Do some sketches on paper and find someone who can visualise but then take these to the manufacturers who will do detailed stuff. Even if you get Cad drawings done they would still need reworking by the makers.

For me, Sketch > Adobe Illustrator for dial artwork / guides. Cinema4D for 3D visuals > documented guides > manufacturer makes Solidworks drawings for machining.

Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    Just getting you hands on software isn’t going to help you in anyway. You’d need to learn it and have a graphic / product design background helps massively ( making assumption you don’t have one otherwise you’d not be asking )

Do some sketches on paper and find someone who can visualise but then take these to the manufacturers who will do detailed stuff. Even if you get Cad drawings done they would still need reworking by the makers.

For me, Sketch > Adobe Illustrator for dial artwork / guides. Cinema4D for 3D visuals > documented guides > manufacturer makes Solidworks drawings for machining.
    Probably sound advice

Depending on your skills a program like powerpoint has some easy features to work with as well. You can use various shapes and merge them into something special.

I used it to design watch hands for a printed logo.

Downside is that it has no watch specific features, benefit is that the tool is quite easy to use and known to many.

Tricky bit would be alignment where it is easy to centre and distribute shapes but stuff like hour markers on a round dial are harder. Still if you can calculate positions (and depending on how high your requirements are) it could be an easy option.

You could even use an existing dial as a background, add transparent elements and use the background as a clue on where to place what. In the end remove the background.

It’s what I would do if I want a result in 1-3 hours.

If you will work on it for weeks and actually use the output, go for a real tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post
    Depending on your skills a program like powerpoint has some easy features to work with as well. You can use various shapes and merge them into something special.

I used it to design watch hands for a printed logo.

Downside is that it has no watch specific features, benefit is that the tool is quite easy to use and known to many.

Tricky bit would be alignment where it is easy to centre and distribute shapes but stuff like hour markers on a round dial are harder. Still if you can calculate positions (and depending on how high your requirements are) it could be an easy option.

You could even use an existing dial as a background, add transparent elements and use the background as a clue on where to place what. In the end remove the background.

It’s what I would do if I want a result in 1-3 hours.

If you will work on it for weeks and actually use the output, go for a real tool.

PowerPoint - never even thought of trying that. Windows paint crossed my mind - you know importing bezel photos etc but a cursory look shows it’s not got the tools and doesn’t like circles

Just an impression. I modelled Seiko hands using shapes, group and merge shapes in powerpoint.

Not good enough for anything real but ok enough for my purposes.

Craftsman
    MS Word is very useful:

and eminently suitable for having a workshop produce exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    MS Word is very useful:

and eminently suitable for having a workshop produce exactly what you want.
    I genuinely had no idea word could do that

Craftsman
    Most of the Field Engineer was designed using MS Word and a calculator. If you play with the 'insert - shapes' for a bit you'll get the hang of it.

Journeyman
    Hello,
    I am not able to understand the question. Have you looking for dial design software or full custom watch design software.
    If you have an online store and wanted to sell customize watch design, I strongly recommend you to go with taking advice from professionals software developers - https://clockwise.software/
    Last edited by Derrils; 22nd March 2019 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrils View Post
    Hello,
    I am not able to understand the question. Have you looking for dial design software or full custom watch design software?
    Dial and bezel design

Thomas Reid
    I use inkscape for dials. Mostly because I've been using it for ages and am used to it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Somewhat related question: is anyone aware of any reference CAD drawings, general measurements etc., for things like common movements, dials, cases, handsets, etc., that are freely available online?