closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Outlander PHEV

Craftsman

Outlander PHEV

Quick question, there isn't a car question that we as a forum haven't provided an informative real life answer for so.....

Currently drive a Toyota Land Cruiser doing circa 16k a year (7 seats, diesel, 30 MPG real world) - its 3 years old so we have the choice of exchange for a new one, pay off the remaining figure (via finance) or part ex for another model of car.... there is probably around 10k equity in it for a deposit.

Not asking for options as such as like the Land Cruiser (Japanese, reliable, loads of room, nice safe drive for wife (who uses it most) and family (14 and 18, boys) plus dog) but financially the monthly figure is king.

We are leaning towards keeping it (we have another 2 years of warranty on it) but tomorrow we are test driving the Outlander PHEV - it doesn't have the 7 seats but we have both lost a parent in recent years so that isn't as important a requirement and it not quite as big but the figures really appear to stack up. Plus its petrol rather than diesel and currently the Land Cruiser is still worth a fair bit so might be right time to switch.......

However, what's it like to own, any real life experience?

By all means tell me your experience, your friends experience or what you've picked up generally, many thanks.

Blog Entries
    Just ordered one. Due to arrive in mid Feb.

I’ll feedback my views when I’ve covered a few miles in it.

However, I got it as a company car mainly for lower BIK liabilities.

It will be nowhere near as economical as my current diesel for motorway mile munching.

So if that’s a regular occurrence for you - it’s not a good choice.

If you mainly do <30 miles - it could be ideal.

BTW - the boot is pretty small for SUV of this size - around 440 litres.

z

my company has provided me with an phev for the last four years, love it, super reliable, drives very good and enough for the whole family (one child, dog in the back). i am seriously considering taking it over from the lease company after the contract ends, not to big of a fan of the navigation system...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thedontheniro View Post
    my company has provided me with an phev for the last four years, love it, super reliable, drives very good and enough for the whole family (one child, dog in the back). i am seriously considering taking it over from the lease company after the contract ends, not to big of a fan of the navigation system...
    Gen2 - does not have sat nav - not on any model - uses apple car play.

z

Craftsman
    I have heard that if you run the battery down, they can go into 2wd.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    I have heard that if you run the battery down, they can go into 2wd.
    Not heard that - but it does not have a gearbox & drive like conventional hybrids.

Instead, it delivers power to the battery to drive the wheels via the electric motors (serial hybrid mode)

The only direct drive to the wheels is in parallel hybrid mode when the clutch engages the front wheels at a fixed ratio. Usually at motorway speeds.

z

I've been in a 2018 5hs since last May and its rather soothing in electric mode. Its Ruby Black metallic, black at most angles but at certain angles it has a lovely red tinge to it. The inside is a bit dated and there's switches dotted around everywhere, the window switches look like the ones I had in my 1995 Toyota Surf. It rides nice enough and sits 5 adults in comfort as there is no transmission tunnel. I find it drives like a large car and its narrow in relation to other similar 4x4s. You can stick it in D and just drive it until the battery is depleted (I don't believe it gets depleted but switches over to petrol with about 30% in reserve) or play with the regen paddle flaps. It was a bit weird at first starting it up and hearing nothing. Real world mileage on battery is about 20miles depending on the types of road and weather. Not had it out in less than 4 degrees so can't tell how much the cold does affect the distance but mine has heated seats front/back and steering wheel. For short journeys I think its great, for long journeys the average petrol consumption is not bad for such a big car. The only faff is having to park it in the garage in the evening to charge it, which takes about 5-6 hours to full on the mains charger.

Master
    Great car, been my company vehicle for almost 3 years and 100k plus miles and never let the family down.

Mines a 4h with the electric tailgate and allsorts which I don’t think they offer anymore, for what it’s worth though it’s been so good when the lease is up in June I’ll get another.

It’s not too shabby on the road even in snow, it’s has a 4wd lock that makes it drive all 4 wheels as I’ve noted a few responses to the way it drives, truth is the drivetrain is intelligent enough in normal drive mode to handle most things and switch it up between 2 and 4.

Stupidly cheap on bik too for the size of the vehicle, electrical range in summer is 25-27 and 14-16 in winter time off a charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar experience to other longer term owners. Had mine 4 1/2 years and covered 95,000 miles in which the car hasn’t missed a beat, I’m also only just on a 3rd set of tyres and second set of brake discs.

The 2 litre engine can be a bit rough at certain revs but is superb to drive on all electric when charged. By all accounts the new 2.4 engine is a lot smoother. The car has excellent traction in the snow and you’re best off leaving the car to sort out what powers what and when. Average fuel consumption is in the high 30’s which isn’t bad for the size of the car, and I do a lot of M25 and don’t charge it very often.

The programmer (in the car or via phone app) is very useful if you plug the car in over night, especially in the Winter as you can set the car to heat up and defrost while you’re still laying in bed in the morning.

I got it as a company car for the low BIK (5% at the time), and the £5000 government subsidy. The company could also offset the cost of the car against pre-tax profits for the year it was bought in. Not sure that perk is still available.

If I keep a company car I will probably get another one, even though the BIK is now 13% and the subsidy is halved, as it’s still one of the cheapest company cars to have, but I may switch to a car allowance instead, in which case a Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE is looking pretty good value.
    Last edited by hhhh; 2nd February 2019 at 00:03.

Master
    Wish I could have an allowance there so much more benefit to it nowadays.. stuck with it for now though, I don’t know if I’d buy a Hyundai but then again the warranty is there i guess, I made the choice (and massive mistake) of having a Prius last time and it was god awful so as long as it’s not one of them I’ll be happy

I’m very interested in this thread.

A close mate has one and he swears by it - and he’s a very fussy bugger when it comes to cars.

I have the option to change my Touareg 3.0TDi R-Line Plus in October. It’s a great vehicle in every way but the economy is crap, 24mpg real world, and I am now doing a longer commute than when I got it.

I’m getting a bit bored of putting £120 + of fuel in it (the cost of filling it) every week and a half. A full tank does barely 400miles.

I am very seriously considering full electric- and I’ve tried and love the Jaguar iPace, or the Phev.

I do like a large multipurpose vehicle for my daily driver, and my only issue with the iPace is boot size and getting the dog in it. Not a problem for the Phev. The Jag is awesome though...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Many thanks for all the responses, I had a chat to a mate too who has owned one for 3 years and loves it - I put a deposit down on the ex demo just now, pick it up next Saturday. Test drive was weird as obviously the car was silent when in "electric" mode.

Master
    The drive takes some getting used to but it’s a cracking motor and I’ll have another, very comfortable and capable for a big wobbly hybrid

Blog Entries
    Mine has arrived (Thursday) - only pottered around in it around town - but first impressions are pretty good.
    Steering is very light - which makes it a doddle around town & the 4h spec has all the toys you could really want / need.
    Heated seats, heated Windscreen, heated steering wheel, blind spot warning, rear traffic alert, 360 camera

It's (obviously) a very different drive to the outgoing XF - but still seems comfy for the short trips I've done.
    It'll get a proper testing in the coming weeks with a round trip to Edinburgh.

z

Master
    Have fun, mines been brilliant as a company car, I think I’ll be ordering another one when the lease is up in June

Looking at the Jiro model and I’ll add a couple of extras I think, got the 4h currently but don’t think my budget will stretch again.

I’ll miss the electric opening boot as none of the new models have it, not even an option anymore the dealer was telling me

Blog Entries
    A jaunt up the M5-M6 to Liverpool yesterday at around 70mph (& large stretches of roadworks at 50mph). The PHEV with empty battery yielded an impressive 41mpg - not bad for a 2 tonne AWD SUV

z

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    A jaunt up the M5-M6 to Liverpool yesterday at around 70mph (& large stretches of roadworks at 50mph). The PHEV with empty battery yielded an impressive 41mpg - not bad for a 2 tonne AWD SUV

z
    My friend who has one mostly does short local miles and claims he hardly ever puts petrol in it.

Have you had a charger installed at your house? Can you give some details on that and what was involved because I am genuinely interested.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Outlander PHEV

No charger yet.

I’m looking at having a 16A outlet out near the garage door for overnight charging (takes 4-5h) . That way I can use the supplied cable & it’s not dedicated to the car charger - but can also be used for car / jet washer etc.

There are a couple of options for Government subsidised dedicated high current outlets - the dealer suggested these were £200-£300 range (with the government grant).

z

Craftsman
    Had ours for just over a week and I love it.... to answer a couple of queries..... we picked up the showroom demo, registered November last year with 700, the 4h model (one up from base) and it had the electric boot, and the brochure shows it as standard so not sure why you were told otherwise....

And we are getting a tethered charger fitted, dealer refers you and it’s government subsidised (used to be free) it will cost us £200

Craftsman
    We do a lot of work directly for Mitsubishi as we run their warranty and RSA programmes. Two of the account managers run the Outlander PHEV's and both love them. They don't seem to give any issues either and could well be my next daily driver purchase.

Master
    Only bad thing is buying shocks from Mitsubishi... ££££ both of mine needed doing about 90k miles and £1500 just for the shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Only bad thing is buying shocks from Mitsubishi... ££££ both of mine needed doing about 90k miles and £1500 just for the shocks
    Sheesh !!!

Master
    I know! But to be fair apart from wear and tear it’s had no issues in 103k miles so far bar the shocks and is an all round fabulous practical family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    My friend who has one mostly does short local miles and claims he hardly ever puts petrol in it.

Have you had a charger installed at your house? Can you give some details on that and what was involved because I am genuinely interested.

Thanks!
    When you buy a car, the dealer should sort it all out for you. Some dealers will pay for it too.

It’s best to go for the 32amp untethered charger as that will give you more flexibility and allow for changing your vehicle to one with either a different plug type and/or a 7kw onboard charger.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

z
    You should bring your new milk float up to the next Mcr GTG (just arrange some business on the Monday!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    You should bring your new milk float up to the next Mcr GTG (just arrange some business on the Monday!)
    Lol.
    It’s no XF that’s for sure - but I’d rather have the £150 per month it’s saving me in my pocket at the moment.

I’ll be sure to let you know when I’m in town & we can compare Japanese 4WDs.

z

I am now seriously considering one of these - a friend has had one for a couple of years now and swears by it - and he is a petrolhead.

My daily commute is a maximum of 30 miles round trip - but quite a bit is in slow traffic. I really like the idea of paying nothing, or very little for my commute and feeling good about reducing my carbon footprint (my 2017 Touareg 3.0TDi averages 23 mpg, which is pretty shocking really).

I also like the novelty and tech on board the Outlander.

I went to a dealer last weekend, and he advised to go for the 4HS model - all the toys.

Any update from owners on one of these? Is the 5H or 5HS worth going for? As far as I can see from the brochure the only difference seems to be the posher leather - the 4HS is still full leather.

I get that it isn't a quick car - and I do like some power, but for once I am trying to wear a sensible hat and recognise that for 95% of the driving I now do, speed and power is irrelevant.

(That said, I did go and look at an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrafoglio and had a wobble...)
    So clever my foot fell off.

If you like electric, why not buy a pure EV? Even an old Leaf will easily handle a 30 mike commute whilst the latest 60kwhr cars (Hyundai Kona, Kia Nero, new leaf) would allow you to charge only once a week for that sort of mileage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Any update from owners on one of these? Is the 5H or 5HS worth going for? As far as I can see from the brochure the only difference seems to be the posher leather - the 4HS is still full leather.
    A few months in and its everything I hoped. We got the 4H model which is well specced enough for us (full leather, heated front seats, electric tailgate, reversing camera). Apple carplay is awesome and covers sat nav, Spotify etc. In the week or just pottering at weekends we hardly put any fuel in it and that feels good in contrast to the Land Cruiser which would routinely use a gallon a day (30 miles).

We've had it to Cornwall and back with surfboards on the roof (we live in Preston) and it was comfortable. I've got used to the tech a bit - if we go to Manchester for the day I will use electric in Preston, then save the remaining electric for Manchester and go petrol on the way. We have the charger in our garage and the cable just goes under the garage door and we just plug it in when we are not driving it.

Two unintended consequences - if you are driving near pedestrians you can get right behind them without them hearing you... obvious really when thinking about it but it amused us the first couple of times; and when you are away for a day or two without plugging it in you resent using the petrol on short journeys :)

Any further specific questions give me a shout. its not a sports car etc. as you mentioned but it is great at what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post

Two unintended consequences - if you are driving near pedestrians you can get right behind them without them hearing you... obvious really when thinking about it but it amused us the first couple of times; and when you are away for a day or two without plugging it in you resent using the petrol on short journeys :)

Any further specific questions give me a shout. its not a sports car etc. as you mentioned but it is great at what it does.
    Does the 4h not have AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System) that alerts pedestrians of the presence of the vehicle when running on electric?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Does the 4h not have AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System) that alerts pedestrians of the presence of the vehicle when running on electric?
    I will investigate, I wasn't aware of such a feature, thx

Master
    Little update on my 16 plate 4h, dab radio, USB ports and heaters failed simultaneously and water flooded the car, the bulkhead has cracked (well a plastic bit of it) let water in and killed it, my lease company refused to fix the electronics and Mitsubishi won’t do anything because it’s out of warranty

How much does the electrical brain controlling the cabin cost you may ask and a new dab receiver... an eye watering 11k fitted! So unimpressed with Mitsubishi on this one so I’m looking elsewhere because my lease is up in a month thank goodness and I’ll be handing it back.. 106k miles with zero issues and then bang it’s ruined

I’ve always thought the repair costs high, it was a grand fitted for a damper almost, pleased it’s a company car and not my own!

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    I will investigate, I wasn't aware of such a feature, thx
    Page 7.30 of the MY18 hand book