closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex for my wife, advice please

Master

Rolex for my wife, advice please

My wife is quietly happy about the lack of depreciation on my Rolex subs and has now hinted she would like to join me in this madness!

She has a 6” tops wrist and when I cinch my 14060m to her wrist the strap dominates. The head looks ok but the strap makes the whole watch look too big.

So two possible options, do I go with a nice contemporary leather from the likes of Stevostraps or push the boat out and pick up a nice 14270 36mm explorer.

I have read the explorer wears bigger than its size belies, but it is a gorgeous watch.

Any thoughts from the collective, as I dont want to put her off as she supports me through my watch purchases. What do your ladies wear if they dont want a petite piece.

Thanks in advance Steve

Banned
    Blog Entries
    36mm OP, with a dial colour to suit. My daughter has a lovely white grape dial one, which was a graduation present. Very nice. A good size, not petite at all.

35mm datejust - my missus has two, one gold one TT - she used to have "ladies" Rolex but her eyesight isn't what it was and these are perfect - she is petite at 5'2" and slim but the case and bracelet wear fine on her.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    My wife is quietly happy about the lack of depreciation on my Rolex subs and has now hinted she would like to join me in this madness!

She has a 6” tops wrist and when I cinch my 14060m to her wrist the strap dominates. The head looks ok but the strap makes the whole watch look too big.

So two possible options, do I go with a nice contemporary leather from the likes of Stevostraps or push the boat out and pick up a nice 14270 36mm explorer.

I have read the explorer wears bigger than its size belies, but it is a gorgeous watch.

Any thoughts from the collective, as I dont want to put her off as she supports me through my watch purchases. What do your ladies wear if they dont want a petite piece.

Thanks in advance Steve
    My wife has a 6" wrist and her normal watch is a YG 31mm Datejust.

If she's going out anywhere special, she wears a 16520 Daytona. The Daytona wears small and is actually quite feminine. The explorer is, in my opinion, a trifle butch.

Your best bet is to go along with whatever she choses. Happy wife happy life etc.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mrsv wears a blue dial 36mm Datejust.

The new oyster perpetual black 36mm is lovely.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I think the Oyster Perpetual range is the one to go for with numerous dial and size options.
    I love the Explorer 1 but for the wife I agree that the OP range would be a better option.
    I had the 369 silver dial, lovely watch.

And it is very similar to the Explorer 1:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Wow thanks for the rapid feedback guys brilliant , OP now that wasn’t on my radar.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I love the Explorer 1 but for the wife I agree that the OP range would be a better option.
    I had the 369 silver dial, lovely watch.

And it is very similar to the Explorer 1:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I hope that is your wrist.

Another vote for the OP 36mm

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I hope that is your wrist.
    It is, the wife's a lot hairier than me.

Master

Rolex for my wife, advice please

My partner sometimes wears a 34mm Oyster Perpetual and it’s quite big enough. But your wife needs to
    try them on. See what she likes. There’s such a range of dial colours too. Only she will know what she really wants....
    Last edited by paskinner; 31st January 2019 at 19:13.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    My partner sometimes wears a 34mm Oyster Perpetual and it’s quite big enough. But your wife needs to
    try them on. See what she likes. There’s such a range of dial colours too.
    Looking at the Rolex configurator now , she likes the white or silver dial. So progress 😀👍

Depends on her prefer style.

If she doesn't mind the older bracelet, and one of her reasons for liking the Rolex is the residual value then the 36mm Explorer make a lot more sense than the Oyster Perpetual range. Also make more sense than the DJ36. But if that is ruled out, then the DJ36 had to be the best choice, and allows so many different options of dial bezel, colours etc. There is sure to be one to fit the bill. Nothing wrong with the OP's at all, but I doubt they will fair anywhere near as well as an Explorer.
    It's just a matter of time...

other peoples opinion irrelevant imho (see what i did there?)
    take swmbo to the jewlers , let her try on a few then buy the one she likes best ...
    all else is futile

Blog Entries
    Mrs P switches between a Polar 16570 and a 29mm Yachtmaster bi- metal and with 6” wrists they both look absolutely fantastic. I think the white face of the ExpII looks more subtle than a sub.

Pitch

Last edited by Pitch3110; 31st January 2019 at 20:15.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Mrsv wears a blue dial 36mm Datejust.

The new oyster perpetual black 36mm is lovely.
    Mine had the very same, with fluted bezel and jubilee. Lovely all rounder and looked great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    take swmbo to the jewlers , let her try on a few then buy the one she likes best ...
    all else is futile
    in your opinion ..

I’d say go for it. Sounds like a decent trade.

Edit: Apologies, I misunderstood the thread title.

Master
    Mine very happily wears 36 mm Datejust.

Craftsman
    Day Date 36 on leather. Loads of permutations. Save £5k by getting pre-owned unworn.

Craftsman
    ...take swmbo to the jewlers , let her try on a few then buy the one she likes best ...
    Her viewpoint is valid OP, if you trust her taste.

Journeyman
    My wife has pretty darn skinny wrist. She's got a DateJust 26 as an everyday watch. I guess it depends on her style and preference.

Master
    Again thanks for the input, some high street jeweller perusing needed to see sizes colours and what pops when she tries them on.

Steve

Craftsman
    I bought my wife the 34mm olive dial OP which she loves, so much so she now wants the red grape dial for the weekends

Craftsman
    My wife wears a 36mm datejust TT, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet and clasp with champagne diamond dot dial. She loves it

- - - Updated - - -

My wife wears a 36mm datejust TT, fluted bezel, jubilee bracelet and clasp with champagne diamond dot dial. She loves it

My wife went for a 34mm Oyster Perpetual date 115234 , white baton dial, gold fluted bezel. For her 34mm was just right. If I'd been left to pick something for her I'd probably have got it wrong.
    Last edited by mylofitz; 1st February 2019 at 10:44.

I bought my wife a vintage 1960’s thunderbird datejust a few years ago - it got returned to the jeweller as she ‘didn’t want to become another person mugged for their fancy Rolex in London’. Which I found a bit odd as she wears rings worth more - saved me a few quid too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    all else is futile
    Best advice so far...took two years for Mrs mjc1216 to decide on this one.I would not have come close to choosing the right one.

Master

Thread update and revival

Well 7 months later my better half and I visited an AD in Ilkley Yorkshire. Great service from George and a fantastic range of OP’s and Datejusts in various combinations strap dial bezels.

In the end it was down to two 31 mm OP’s, a blue and red grape. The red grape was the winner and wifey is delighted. 31 mm is a nice size as its just looked right. Even though my wife is petite the 26 mm looked a bit two small.

Im also sure my comments regarding old age and eyesight were taken with a pinch of salt!.

So thanks again to everyone who chipped in with views ideas and suggestions

Steve

Journeyman

Got this for the Mrs as a surprise, she absolutely loves it and said it would have been the one she would have chosen so got lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The blue is a stand out piece, really nice. The only reason my wife chose the red grape was to quote “ I would never have picked this colour until I saw it”

Glad your wife likes it, its nice to get some of the small things right , as often we dont:)

Craftsman
    My wife has recently upgraded from a 28mm DJ to this, a 36mm steel and everose gold DJ, it really is beautiful.