closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Moritz Grossmann Thread

Craftsman

A Moritz Grossmann Thread

Yesterday I posted the story of my recent trip to Glashütte, together with a poor photo of the watches I took on the holiday. Several comments were made about the fact that there was a Moritz Grossmann in the photo, and to the effect that they were not much seen on this forum.

As I'm sure I'm not the only forum member to own one, I thought a thread for displaying these IMHO lovely watches might be in order.

First, perhaps, some background. Moritz Grossmann (the man -- 1826-85) was, in the mid-nineteenth century, one of the four founding fathers of watchmaking in Glashütte -- and is revered there almost as much as Ferdinand Adolf Lange.
    Like the company which bears Lange's name, the current watchmaking firm called Grossmann was founded in Glashütte after German reunification (the only significant company in Glashütte with a corporate history going back before reunification is GO (which is presumably why it has the "Original" in its name)). Lange is now twenty eight years old, Grossmann is only ten. However, all companies in the town rely on the unbroken tradition of 170 years of watchmaking skill and innovation in Glashütte -- it's just the corporate structures which have been messed up more than once!
    Grossmann was founded, and is still run, by Christine Hutter (yes, a lady) who had previously been with both ALS and GO.

So, to my watch (and, of course the usual gratuitous pics).

Mine is very much a "entry level" MG -- a fact necessitated by my self-imposed watch buying rules. But it is, to my eye, both beautiful and interesting -- and, despite being a "lo-beat" movement, it is the most accurate mechanical piece in my collection. It is an Atum Pure M (MG-000703), featuring MG's in house Calibre 201.0, and a pretty industrial finish (though extremely nicely finished). Nominally, it is a limited edition of 50 units -- but, as MG produces only about 500 watches per year, pretty much anything from the company is fairly exclusive. Unlike some companies, MG do at least provide an "entry level" range to allow proles like me to own one

Fuller details can be found here: https://www.grossmann-uhren.com/coll...ure-m/?lang=en

The warranty card bears no dealer stamp because this is a factory supplied model. The flamboyant signature is that of Christine Hutter, founder and CEO.

I'd love to see others' MGs . . . . . . . . . .

Extraordinary signature of an extraordinary lady. Am I right in thinking everything is in-house?

Have loved MG from the first time I saw the Benu Enamel dial or the somewhat more stark Atum Pure S.

Sadly, they are way out of my league, and likely to remain so. I'm not usually given to lusting after watches that I can't afford these days, but if ever there was a watch to lust after for reasons other than the price, for me, it's the Benu.

Congrats on your Atum and thanks for posting.

MG Benu Enamel

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Am I right in thinking everything is in-house?

Not quite. They even make their own hands, but the do use Nivarox.

Another interesting point is the stylistic use of colourless gems. Ms Hutter allows no hint of warmth!
    Last edited by Yokel; 23rd October 2018 at 14:42.

Thanks for posting, and what a peach of a watch.

Having followed your link, whilst taking nothing away from your choice, I think my pick would be the blue version. If only..!

Lovely MG OP. Its a novel way to do a 'skeleton' and when I handled one last year I was impressed. The movement is classic German 3/4 plate and the twist with colourless jewels is a novel take too. If I remember correctly, they do a version of this with a full hand made finish?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Lovely MG OP. Its a novel way to do a 'skeleton' and when I handled one last year I was impressed. The movement is classic German 3/4 plate and the twist with colourless jewels is a novel take too. If I remember correctly, they do a version of this with a full hand made finish?
    They do -- but I'm not sure they do it with the "mesh" dial.

The "impure" Atum has a very similar (but also subtly different) hand decorated movement, and is available only in precious metal cases. It's gorgeous, but well beyond my pay grade (sadly).

Apprentice
    Lovely watch, out of all the Glashutte manufactures MG is the one I know the least about. Thanks for sparking my interest.

Craftsman

Having fallen for the offerings from MG, I have been casting around for another at a “not too unreasonable” price.

Finally found myself a Benu Power Reserve. 41mm. In house calibre 100.2, hand wound. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Love the simplicity of that Yokel.

What is the small button at 4 o’clock for?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

I'm pretty sure it stops / starts the movement to allow for precise time setting.

Stunning piece!!!Well done indeed!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

To adjust the watch you pull out the crown to stop the movement — pretty normal so far. However, the crown springs back to its normal position. After setting the hands, a press on the button at 4 o’clock restarts the movement and returns the crown to winding mode.
    The rational is that the crown spends as little time as possible in the less secure “out” position, and that you cannot accidentally move the hands pushing the crown back in (as with a normal watch).

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    Stunning piece!!!Well done indeed!!!
    Thanks indeed.

Excuse for more photos . . . .

I am also a member of a German watch forum which has over fifty thousand registered members. As far as I can work out, I am the only member there to own an MG! Is the same true here?
    Clearly, I am not wired the same as most watch enthusiasts !

For those interested, full spec at
    https://www.grossmann-uhren.com/coll...serve/?lang=en

Last edited by Yokel; 31st January 2019 at 15:56.

That really is stunning. Time for another German watch I think, though sadly not a Moritz Grossmann.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Thanks indeed.

Excuse for more photos . . . .

I am also a member of a German watch forum which has over fifty thousand registered members. As far as I can work out, I am the only member there to own an MG! Is the same true here?
    Clearly, I am not wired the same as most watch enthusiasts !

For those interested, full spec at
    https://www.grossmann-uhren.com/coll...serve/?lang=en

It's absolutely beautiful.
    It has put me off wearing any of my watches today, i think I'll stay in hahaha

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk lol
    Last edited by RD200; 2nd February 2019 at 11:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Many thanks Yokel - posts like these are xactly why I joined the forum

Thanks for posting, I am not usually fond of a skeleton type watch, but the mesh dial is very attractive especially with the sub second dial and a in house Calibre 201.0, what not to like!
    Thanks for posting

Cheers Martin
    Last edited by martinzx; 18th February 2019 at 15:14. Reason: typo