closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jaguar scrap the SV Coupe

Jaguar scrap the SV Coupe

Will be public knowledge sure enough

Losses of approx 100 million on the project

The demo car is being crushed (worth approx £250k)

In the mire.....

It's not a Jaguar.

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I think it was more supply chain issues than anything else

Can’t see where 100 million comes from as 90% of the car was already PPAPed

Master
    Why would they crush the demo it’s museum worthy surely.. with plenty of other jags and range rovers at the motor museum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rightly so - awful vehicle in every way, and they wonder why they are struggling?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Rightly so - awful vehicle in every way, and they wonder why they are struggling?
    agreed, tried to cash in on the original with a face only a mother could love.

Master
    Any links to photos? I just did a search using Jaguar SV Coupé and lots of different cars came up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Any links to photos? I just did a search using Jaguar SV Coupé and lots of different cars came up.
    Basically a very plush two door Range Rover - goodness knows why it even got this far - some photos on link

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-ro...-sv-coupe-axed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by donny View Post
    Basically a very plush two door Range Rover - goodness knows why it even got this far - some photos on link

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/land-ro...-sv-coupe-axed
    Ahh, I’ve seen that thing. Very misleading thread title. I thought it was a jaguar car being scraped not a land/range rover product.

Master
    For that money and clientele I would imagine that 2 door is not what they require and if it was then a custom aftermarket firm would be able to do the work. Where do they get that price?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I think it was more supply chain issues than anything else

Can’t see where 100 million comes from as 90% of the car was already PPAPed
    What does ppapd mean?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    What does ppapd mean?

Production part approval process

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    What does ppapd mean?

Production Part Approval Process, an automotive term, though also used elsewhere

Basically it means the part has been sign off by the car manufacturer and is ok to be received for production salable vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Production Part Approval Process, an automotive term, though also used elsewhere

Basically it means the part has been sign off by the car manufacturer and is ok to be received for production salable vehicles
    Apologies, I supply parts to JLR, most of the components in that car are carryover and are already approved for production, not sure how they got to that development cost. Speaking to a few people, the rumour is that they couldn't make the huge doors work reliably.
    Last edited by adrianw; 31st January 2019 at 13:41.

Handy if you are struggling financially and want to write off a load of costs from wherever that would otherwise hit the P&L.

My wife has had a couple of Evoques and we’ve been pretty happy with them. Shame JLR seem to have taken such a wrong turn recently.

Master
    Was a strange decision from the start, im assuming most people who pick up a range rover either have a family, dogs or want to lug stuff around. Strange to have such a big in a coupe. They've had a nightmare all round with that decision.

Heard on news this morning that investment in the uk car industry has fallen by 80% over the last 3 years....JLR decamping to Romania is a possibility or so I’ve heard....
    Hardly surprising given the political fiasco and uncertainty I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Heard on news this morning that investment in the uk car industry has fallen by 80% over the last 3 years....JLR decamping to Romania is a possibility or so I’ve heard....
    Project fear blah blah, sorry it's just so annoying.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Project fear blah blah, sorry it's just so annoying.
    Agreed but it’s a fact, about the investment, at least
    I’d hate the uk to lose JLR

not true, fake news

Craftsman
    Can't say I'm massively surprised as can't imagine there being much demand for a 2 door SUV regardless of price / production numbers.

Master
    not true, fake news
    I might be truer than you think, JLR have opened a £1bn factory in Slovakia, could be expansion, but could be the start of a move to eastern Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I might be truer than you think, JLR have opened a £1bn factory in Slovakia, could be expansion, but could be the start of a move to eastern Europe.
    They have committed to the new platform in the UK, supplier nomination letters have already gone out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Genta View Post
    Can't say I'm massively surprised as can't imagine there being much demand for a 2 door SUV regardless of price / production numbers.
    Quite right. It will never catch on.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

not true, fake news
    Might be project fear I suppose

Master
    because 'utility coupe's' are always wildly successful...

Oh hang on, not wildly successful, I meant dreadful flops... yeah , I get those two mixed up sometimes... lol

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    because 'utility coupe's' are always wildly successful...

Oh hang on, not wildly successful, I meant dreadful flops... yeah , I get those two mixed up sometimes... lol

I've often thought about buying one of those, I think they are great cars, I've never driven or been in one.

Master
    We're reducing our graduate intake numbers this year & R&D budget remains static.
    Investment in the plant is ongoing through 2018/19.
    Not quite an 80% drop ;-)

^^^^^
    Nobody happier than me to hear it
    🙂

Craftsman
    Was this the news being referenced?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47055188

An excerpt:
    Inward investment fell 46.5% to £588.6m last year from £1.1bn in 2017, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) says.
    Production fell 9.1% to 1.52m vehicles, with output for the UK and for export falling 16.3% and 7.3% respectively.

Analysis: Simon Jack, BBC business editor
    Investment in the car industry comes in uneven lumps as old models are retired and new ones introduced over time. But even allowing for that, the plunge in new investment revealed this morning is stark.
    In 2015, car manufacturers invested £2.5bn in the UK. Since then it has fallen ever year and in 2018 was just £589m.
    Brexit uncertainty was not the only issue facing the sector - confusion over diesel policy, falling sales in China and production hold-ups due to new regulations also played a part.

I don't know the industry well at all - would be keen for some of the industry insiders on this thread to explain how this lines up with their view?

Jaguar scrap the SV Coupe

All true but there has been a wider problem for the whole industry globally for a few years. Loads of innovation and new technology (electric, in car electronics, emissions etc.) = loads of investment + loads of new competition like Tesla = low return on capital employed. Even the successful companies can’t keep up the investment. More consolidation coming.

One answer was moving high end hence luxury SUVs but that market seems saturated now.

Master
    Brand dilution (there are now 27 varieties of Range Rover from Smart Car size up to the size of a cross channel ferry, differing visually only by a slight change is the degree of roof slope), over reliance on diesels and a gamble on never ending growth in China is their problem.

Shame. I loved Jags, had an XJR and an XKR, a Range Rover when the only Range Rover you could get was a Range Rover, and 3 Discovery's. Mrs Berin had an XF which was a very nice car too, currently somewhat of a bargain.

The only Jag or RR I would have now are a Mk II, an XJ 5.3C (there was a beauty at the last Bicester Scramble) or the original Range Rover

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just changed my mind! I've just seen last nights Grand Tour and now I want an XE SVR!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've often thought about buying one of those, I think they are great cars, I've never driven or been in one.
    I know i see one in the town I live near occasionally and think they look great.
    If I’m ever in the position where I have a choice between buying one and setting fire to 5 grand I’ll seriously consider buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk