closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Soft roader

Master

Soft roader

I am planning to change my almost 3yo disco sport in March. Reliability issues have steered me away from any JLR product, so looking at X3, stelvio, Q5, and XC60. I would appreciate any advice and experiences of these options.
    I don't feel that I need seven seats and don't need the size of XC90 etc.
    Thanks in advance. Rob

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

WHat about an estate car? They tend to look a bit less, well, look a bit better than the rest....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Of that group, the XC60 a million times.

Craftsman
    My Merc GLC has served me well and could be a possible option?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    WHat about an estate car? They tend to look a bit less, well, look a bit better than the rest....
    +1......when will the fashion for these jacked up boxes with a wheel at each corner end?

I have an XC60 D5 AWD (3 years old so not the latest version) and it has been very solid and reliable plus plenty of power. More suitable as a long distance motorway cruiser than rural runabout though - although it feels bulletproof the ride is a bit choppy and the turning circle is massive. I’m glad I’ve tried one but the replacement won’t be an SUV - I prefer the ride of a more traditional car tbh, and If its space you want an mpv offers much more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Have had a Mercedes ML Poor reliability with that led me to Lexus. That was superb by comparison, and the dealer was excellent. Ultimately however I knew it didn't do any one thing well. It was a compromised package.

I now own a Skoda Superb estate. Better handling, economy and practicality. I would have an estate over a soft-roader all day long.

Apologies OP for not answering your question.

Sent from my SM-J530F using TZ-UK mobile app

Not on your list but I have an XC40 that I’ve had since April. Originally ordered an XC60 but the MY19 changes were announced day after and annoyingly before my order was confirmed. So long story short I ended up with the 40.

However it’s a great car, agile, nippy and very comfortable. I discounted the Q5 when I chose the 60. The 60 felt a hell of a lot more premium than the 40. I do really really like the car and it’s got some great tech. I got a first edition so it had everything on it that I couldn’t afford on the 60 hence the choice.

Master
    The 40 is a great looking vehicle but too small as I have 3 kids under 8. Also a reason for having a soft roader over a simple estate car, in that they are safer in a collision. AFAIK anyway.
    The xc60 seems a to get a very good press, and again Volvo has a good safety record so that may be the way to go.
    Heart says 280 bhp petrol stelvio tho.

Blog Entries
    I know sod all about cars, but, I reckon I might got for the Skoda Kodiaq next time around…. The fact it’s not a prestige brand appeals and it looks really cool (in my opinion)

No idea as to whether it’s any good or not

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    My Merc GLC has served me well and could be a possible option?
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    The 40 is a great looking vehicle but too small as I have 3 kids under 8. Also a reason for having a soft roader over a simple estate car, in that they are safer in a collision. AFAIK anyway.
    The xc60 seems a to get a very good press, and again Volvo has a good safety record so that may be the way to go.

The 40 is actually bigger than it looks. But the 60 does feel a lot bigger inside and as I say felt a lot more premium. I did think it would be too minimal inside but it was great and made the Q5 feel very dated. I’ll be getting a 60 myself next more than likely although am really happy with what I have.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have ordered a Merc GLC 2.0 Petrol Urban Edition nice inside, also gets a good write up from motoring sources. Like you I discounted the JLR just to much trouble plus the DS is a cheap feel interior, well it did compared to the D4 and Evoke we had.

Master
    I'd definitely have the Lexus RX or NX on the list too. Reliability is second to none and they are fast, comfy and economical. The only real down side is the weird infotainment interface that's a a bit obtuse. You regularly see RX's sail over 150k miles with just routine service and maintenance and the NX is no doubt similar.

Edited to add...
    Estates. Yes from a 'bung a mountain bike in the back' or tip run perspective they are as, if not more, practical than an SUV. From a bung 2 or more kids in the back in the pouring rain perspective they are less easy as you have to contort yourself to buckle them in, in an estate where you are more nearly standing up with an SUV. I've had both as a parent and of the 2 the best for kids is an SUV. Best overall is a large people carrier but they have fallen out of favour.
    Last edited by julian2002; 30th January 2019 at 14:32.

The new X3 is a good car - solid and a good looking thing.
    I caught sight of the X2 the other day
    I was impressed
    Maybe too small for you?
    Used x5 are to me s bargain, it’s what I drive, the brand new model recently unveiled so lots of good used “older” models around

Master
    So today opted for a Macan, the facelift model so slightly up in power from the previous. Back to petrol power after 6 years in diesels, but looking forward to that smooth v6 urge. Eye watering cost but hey you are a long time in the box.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Sounds great, I sat in one of these a little while ago and the interior was fantastic. Look forward to the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Sounds great, I sat in one of these a little while ago and the interior was fantastic. Look forward to the pics!

Collecting towards end of March and will post pics then.

Lexus 100%. They now have a full range of SUV’ from smallish UX, mid sized NX, large RX and larger 7 seater RX-L

Wonderful cars with Japanese reliability.

My wife’s Audi Q5 2.0 TFSI lasted 5 months and needed a new engine, never again! Lexus every time.

I’m looking at replacing my XC60, one of the reasons I bought mine was the supposed ‘better in a crash’ stuff but euro NCAP ratings are equally good in hatchbacks and estates etc. I’ve enjoyed the XC60 - which is a D5 AWD version with winter, comfort and nav packs - but to put it bluntly the ride is dreadful on our local rural roads (the kind that are a joy in a sports car) which is where we do 90% of our driving. On a motorway it’s effortless and very smooth, and feels bulletproof, but around town my wife has to put her hand across her chest (!) and it wallows and chops around. Lots of overtaking power and it never seems low in grip, it’s just not pleasant to be in. I’m actually looking at warm hatches as a replacement , A3 or similar. I honestly prefer driving our little fiesta ecoboost on country roads and the suv experience strikes me as fashion over function. I reckon I might feel different if my commute was 50+ motorway miles as opposed to 15 miles cross country, and my kids are big enough to buckle themselves in now so a low car won’t be an issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I really like the Macan. Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Soft roader

Eye watering cost but hey you are a long time in the box.
    Or you could say, eye watering cost so it’ll delay my retirement by 5 years.

So that’s 5 years less to do all the fun stuff on my bucket list in retirement, before spending a long time in a box.

Spending 50k on cars, or £600 pcm if you are renting it, baffles me. There’s oh so many better things you can do with that amount of lucre. There are no bad new cars these days. But, each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Or you could say, eye watering cost so it’ll delay my retirement by 5 years.

So that’s 5 years less to do all the fun stuff on my bucket list in retirement, before spending a long time in a box.

Spending 50k on cars, or £600 pcm if you are renting it, baffles me. There’s oh so many better things you can do with that amount of lucre. There are no bad new cars these days. But, each to their own.
    Whereas this type of response baffles me.

You're on a forum where people spend thousands of pounds on something that tells the time. There's a lot of thing better to spend money on than that but people have different likes etc. But as you do say - each to their own.

My wife wanted an SUV and I didn’t, I have to agree they are good for dogs and kids, but my heart really wasn’t in it

I test drive loads of them, from luxury to cheap

The best combo of car like handling and price was a used Kuga

I couldn’t face spending more than 13k on something I don’t especially like, the Kuga ticked the boxes

I then blow the bank on a 1965 Mustang.... go figure

I tried a CRV and X3 a few years ago, I couldn’t get to grips with the talk ride height and lack of drivability, also the boot space was tiny for such a big vehicle, my next car I think is a Skoda Octavia Scout, lots of estate room, slightly higher ground clearance, 4x4 when needed and solid build..

Master
    What about Lexus nx/rx? Stunning cars, reliable and very well made.

I went through a similar thought process after looking to change the current car for something with 4wd and better ground clearance. We looked at so many options, but ended up at the door of an Audi A6 Allroad. It seemed to be the best 'all rounder' for what I actually needed, but I was virtually unaware of its existence before I started looking at LR D5's, Audi Q5's, RR Sports, etc.

We moved away from the LR products due to ongoing reported reliability issues and our own experiences with poor customer service from previous LR purchases. Shame that LR don't seem to take their reliability issues seriously as their offerings are otherwise very appealing if you need that sort of car.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Whereas this type of response baffles me.

You're on a forum where people spend thousands of pounds on something that tells the time. There's a lot of thing better to spend money on than that but people have different likes etc. But as you do say - each to their own.
    Bingo...

Master
    Collecting tomorrow. Will post pics asap.

Master
    Collected today and very pleased. Very different to the disco sport.

Congrats Rob and good health to drive. Thought I recognised the building, so had to check your location ;-)

I’ve stopped there a few times (when they are closed) and had a walk round with my son, beautiful cars and great looking showroom.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Congrats Rob and good health to drive. Thought I recognised the building, so had to check your location ;-)

I’ve stopped there a few times (when they are closed) and had a walk round with my son, beautiful cars and great looking showroom.
    Thanks guz. You should call when they are open, nice coffee

Craftsman
    You lucky boy, I soooo much want one of those. Fantastic cockpit layout, I just need to win on the premium bonds or sell a couple of watches.