closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Ploprof

Omega Ploprof

Just after a bit of advice, please. I've been casting around for a SS watch to rotate with my gold Sub. I love the gold but fancy a rotation watch. Wife swaps between a Batman and Hulk, two watches I bought partially because it looked a better place to hold money than savings and paying 5.95 and 6.05 list in 2017 was a brilliant bit of business, clearly. Her wrist is small, so I am not going to be adjusting the bracelet all the times and neither watch really floats my boat, to be honest. So, I have been offered a white dial white bezel Ploprof at 6.4 with a grand off, brand new. It's the colour combination I like and is on mesh, which I also like. Banks Lyon in Lancaster. I don't expect it to rocket in value but I don't want to take a bath either. 5.4k any good? I figure on keeping my watches usually, but I'd prefer one that doesn't unravel in value; I haven't pursued a BNIB Cartier Tank Anglaise XL as I expect it would lose 50% over night, although I really like it. Lol. I've tried on a Ploprof and it suits my big wrists, plus I like a watch with heft. I also admire this watch for all sorts of daft reasons...it just has something about it that I really love. Quirkiness, maybe.

Thoughts on the offered price and the watch itself? There is also a zero per cent interest option with them but not at the discounted price, unless I push them, i think. 5k and I reckon I'd do it.

Kind regards,

Michael.

Hi, i’m a Ploprof man if there is such a term. I own 3 of them and absolutely love them, including the white steel version on mesh. Drop me a pm if you like as I need to sell at least one of my ploprofs.

Meant to add to that, I think £5.4k isn’t that bad given the rarity of the watch, but you will still take a bath in it if you want to sell. I would value a used white on mesh at early £4’s.

Master
    Think there's a couple in the SC too

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Meant to add to that, I think £5.4k isn’t that bad given the rarity of the watch, but you will still take a bath in it if you want to sell. I would value a used white on mesh at early £4’s.
    I think you are probably right. I am not strung out by having to have watches appreciate, despite the glorious fortunes of the Batman and Hulk, so a small bath is fine. I like owning watches, it costs money, there it is.

I think 5.4k for white bezel on mesh, brand new is a couple of hundred from being very attractive and if I can bag 12 months interest free, I think it's highly likely. I think I'd rather pay out on new than a 2nd hand watch with less warranty, etc.

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by mjrennie; 29th January 2019 at 11:59.

Journeyman
    Great watch and I've always admired but never tried one. As a lefty, I do worry it would be difficult to wear on R wrist.....can any owners post pics on R wrist and offer opinion as to comfort....that crown guard looks huge.
    Many thanks.

Lovely watches, and I have a couple of the steel date models, but I wouldn't be paying much over 4k for one, and not an awful lot more for a newer Ti one personally.

They will have a limited market, but for me they really are a very nice watch, and they are better built than virtually every other Omega that I own.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    Great watch and I've always admired but never tried one. As a lefty, I do worry it would be difficult to wear on R wrist.....can any owners post pics on R wrist and offer opinion as to comfort....that crown guard looks huge.
    Many thanks.
    I wear my Ploprof on the right wrist and it's very comfortable although it's a big heavy watch. The crown guard is large and smooth therefore does not dig in.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Lovely watches, and I have a couple of the steel date models, but I wouldn't be paying much over 4k for one, and not an awful lot more for a newer Ti one personally.

They will have a limited market, but for me they really are a very nice watch, and they are better built than virtually every other Omega that I own.
    Agree re the build quality, they are impressive for sure. In my opinion the titanium ones are much more wearable than the steel versions. I wear the titanium one and after a few hours it feels less noticeable than a Rolex steel sports. Having the micro adjust means you can get perfect comfort and the titanium takes away at least 30% of the weight (180g v 257g on the rubber so more on the mesh). I personally prefer a no date dial too. But, they are £8400 versus £6400 so quite a stretch over the steel versions. Are they worth £2k more, probably not (but you can see why they cost more - display case back, rubber strap included, 3 lengths of titanium mesh, titanium is more difficult to machine and finish, and there is a strap change tool) but i’d Say they’re easily worth a grand more on the second hand market.

That probably fair; plus the steel model hasn’t been in production for a little while now, so I’d expect a premium for both the Ti and the age of the watch. I’d love to try the Ti for the mid-term, but it’s not different enough from my steel versions (which I guess a relatively small number of were available at one stage for little more than 50% of RRP), and having three would be a little over-kill even for me ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    That probably fair; plus the steel model hasn’t been in production for a little while now, so I’d expect a premium for both the Ti and the age of the watch. I’d love to try the Ti for the mid-term, but it’s not different enough from my steel versions (which I guess a relatively small number of were available at one stage for little more than 50% of RRP), and having three would be a little over-kill even for me ;)

It was seeing your picture that time of your two ploprofs in the box with one on rubber and one on mesh that normalised and validated multiple ownership for me..... at various points I’ve had matching speedmasters, ploprofs,navitimers, Deepseas, and bremonts, and it’s all your fault lol!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stan collector View Post
    I wear my Ploprof on the right wrist and it's very comfortable although it's a big heavy watch. The crown guard is large and smooth therefore does not dig in.
    Thankyou for that. I am going to try and see if I can try one on this weekend.

I'm back in the market for one of these. Looking for white dial on mesh, preferably new. Anyone know the best place to source other than Banks Lyon, which is where I tried a while ago? 6.4k list, in all honesty, what would you expect to pay? 5?

Unless i’m Missing something it looks like the steel models have recently dropped off the website. I was looking to see if rrp has increased as per the recent rise across the omega models. does anyone know if the steel models are now officially discontinued? If so that will obviously make the search harder and may limit deals off of rrp. I can see Chronext have one on a rubber for £5.5k.

love mine...but it is BIG and Heavy..not an every day watch> not a popular item > no appreciation in value.

But still I think it's an icon for all dive watch fans given the current used value.

I've been on to Banks Lyon and they are quoting 5.5k now, about a grand off, though it seems the model is dicontinued; I guess there is unsold stock in the system.

Craftsman
    Love hate with me for these , but black on mesh is the love one ...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Local AD to me tell me there is no stock left with Omega, so I'll have think of something else. Lol.

Craftsman
    I found mine too big and too heavy for regular wear - it won't go under a cuff of any sort (shirt or sweater) and I was acutely aware of it on my wrist and the possibility of banging it on things and scratching it. I like the basic design a lot, quality is superb and the mesh is a lovely thing. But even though I bought mine from a Grey-dealer and paid less than £4k new, I still struggled to sell it. No interest here, and several eBay listing before I even had a nibble. Sold for £3250 and I was glad to sell it, especially given the even lower prices from the trade (even the dealer I bought from). Try one for a while, or find a really cheap beater of a similar size and weight and wear it for a week or two would be my advice. I really wanted to love mine but didn't. And the resale values are shockingly poor - it's a very individual choice.

Master
    Baby ploprof may be the smart compromise for most

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I’m a big fan of the Ploprof - the stainless steel version was discontinued a fair while ago now and I’m not a fan of the new titanium version. I check online for any discounted new models or tempting used propositions from time to time but they are few and far between.

Looks like you need to try hard to persuade me to part with mine?

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    I’m a big fan of the Ploprof - the stainless steel version was discontinued a fair while ago now and I’m not a fan of the new titanium version. I check online for any discounted new models or tempting used propositions from time to time but they are few and far between.

I love my steel Ploprof- I’ve only just realised that Omega have discontinued the steel case!?!
    Slightly odd only the titanium version is now available - surely lots of fans liked the pure weighty heft
    of such a big watch......
    Great watches though-

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    I love my steel Ploprof- I’ve only just realised that Omega have discontinued the steel case!?!
    Slightly odd only the titanium version is now available - surely lots of fans liked the pure weighty heft
    of such a big watch......
    Great watches though-
    Agreed, these weight was one of the things I liked. Unfortunately, I missed the boat as you rarely see any decent ones come up for sale now.

Quote Originally Posted by MTM84 View Post
    Agreed, these weight was one of the things I liked. Unfortunately, I missed the boat as you rarely see any decent ones come up for sale now.

Hi, are you still looking. I have a very decent one.

Fab watches
    But of course very individual. I have a black and a white dial, both on mesh and they are door frame busters!!
    Who needs a Submariner (not me)
    Cheers
    Tim

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I think these are love hate but sadly I'm not a fan. Have you considered anything else

Craftsman
    Very tough decision between a Deep Sea SD and one of these for me, I went DSSD to follow on with my Sea Dweller affliction but I could have quite easily went Ploprof. Still looks like a prop from a 1970s science fiction movie-in an undeniably cool way.

Haven’t worn my ploprof in ages-
    Always nice to get it back on for some wrist time.....

I sold this a while back but bought it back, I always like to have a Ploprof in the collection, such an interesting watch and surprisingly comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I sold this a while back but bought it back, I always like to have a Ploprof in the collection, such an interesting watch and surprisingly comfortable.

Agreed regarding comfort-
    For such a large chunk of metal it’s amazing how quick you don’t even notice
    you’re wearing it.....the shark mesh bracelet is fantastic

I’ve been wearing mine on the black rubber, and lately an orange Isofrane. Think I might switch it out to the mesh given the above pic..
    It’s a watch I’d always lusted after, and a few years ago, I managed to get a gently used one from a member on here. Every now and again I think about how it’s a bit of an indulgence, given it’s not really an ‘everyday’ watch, and consider selling it. Then I wear it and come to my senses....!
    I just wish there was something you could do with the presentation box, as that is really cool. It’s fine for one watch, but with the size, I wish there was a way it could be used for multiple watches, like I’ve seen people use Panerai boxes. It would make a great display case.

Blog Entries
    I absolutely love and keep being drawn to these stunning watches, I must seriously look into these before purchasing.

Great pics all.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    They are very comfortable considering the size and the hunk of metal that is the clasp counter-balances the head very well. I did like mine but like a lot of watches it is no longer with me. Here is an action shot

Glam shot

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th April 2021 at 20:55.

I can't justify the cost of a Ploprof, but I do have a Helson Sharkmaster 600 which is an homage to the original design Ploprof, and I find it pretty comfortable to wear.

As others have said the short(ish) lug to lug means it's wears far small than the general dimensions suggest, but it's no shrinking violet and you'll need custom cuffs (either a la Jackie Stewart or Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen) to wear it with a shirt!

The only thing I dislike about the Helson is that the crown knurls are rather sharped edged and graze my wrist if I wear it for long (I suspect the same is true of the original, which is why the latest model has those square-cut knurls with rounded edges).

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    They are very comfortable considering the size and the hunk of metal that is the clasp counter-balances the head very well. I did like mine but like a lot of watches it is no longer with me. Here is an action shot

Glam shot

Great pictures as always Martyn, as I recall you were one of the first to get one of these when they came out in 2009, perhaps its time you added another to your collection....
    The Lume on these is superb as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Recently bought a Ti with black dial from local and new omega ad in edinburgh.

Stunning piece and put it on the bracelet not the rubber and it’s my daily wearer.

Lo and behold been offered another one in Ti too, exactly the same, so in a quandary. Instincts are to buy it and have two. Don’t ask me why! Bizarre position to be in

Jim

Edit: might be off loading one of mine me thinks
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 1st March 2022 at 20:39.

These are definitely an acquired taste, but as tool watches go, they don't much more utilitarian.

Serious credentials.

Omega Ploprof

These are truly amazing in the metal and wear very well for their size. Can’t justify the prize or I would be looking for one.

Last edited by Marios; 1st March 2022 at 22:13. Reason: Add photo

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    These are truly amazing in the metal and wear very well for their size. Can’t justify the prize or I would be looking for one.
    I agree and I find it’s my daily wearer. But I don’t think I’ll need 2 hence tentatively thinking of selling one.

Jim

I think I will buy one one day.
    That said I would prefer a vintage original (or both)
    I tried the Ti version on in a boutique and it had quite a few marks on it so the steel version would be my preferred version.

I’ve had a lot of watches because of being a serial flipper and hands down for me the ploprof 1200 in steel is the most amazing watch I’ve ever had, and I will never flip

Shame the steel version isn’t a no date. Would love a black dial on rubber without the date one day.

Tried to see one in person in an Omega Boutique ran by Beaverbrooks last year and was told to go to a boutique owned by Omega as Beaverbrooks don’t stock that model. Must be a very slow seller.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Shame the steel version isn’t a no date. Would love a black dial on rubber without the date one day.

Tried to see one in person in an Omega Boutique ran by Beaverbrooks last year and was told to go to a boutique owned by Omega as Beaverbrooks don’t stock that model. Must be a very slow seller.
    The date isn’t really noticeable on the wrist, steel is discontinued now and prices are on the up

You can understand why some would have reservations but once you’ve handled and worn a Ploprof its easy to become smitten, I’m now giving the White dial a try…..

I haven’t as yet tried the titanium version so intend to get one of those some day too.

Craftsman

Ploprof

I have owned 2 Ploprofs over the past 3 years and thoroughly enjoyed wearing it albeit not with a work shirt as I found it to cumbersome. Always had lots of comments while wearing it , some good and some remarking on how ridiculous it looked but that’s half the reason I bought one in the first place. It’s nice to have something a little bit different in your collection. The SS Version definitely has some weight to it and might not be for everyone. Also looks great on a rubber strap and really changes the overall look and feel on the wrist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can understand why some would have reservations but once you’ve handled and worn a Ploprof its easy to become smitten, I’m now giving the White dial a try…..

I haven’t as yet tried the titanium version so intend to get one of those some day too.
    Hi Shalako

When we were discussing yours I managed to try on a steel. Excellent kit but when I tried on the Ti and bought it, it was above that standard again. Much much lighter and ‘softer’ - you know what I mean.

I just don’t need 2 of them in Ti hence now thinking I might off load one.

Jim

Master

I think that would look boss on an orange rubber strap.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk