closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 116

Thread: Urban Gentry?

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    615

    Urban Gentry?

    He hasn't posted a video in 3 weeks, is the show over for him?

    Archie Luxury posted two video in the last few days in his usual incoherent, gibberish style showboating to high heaven that he (although he didn't name him) has gotten a couple of copyright strikes from use of Seiko images.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    OAP land
    Posts
    1,984
    he does produce videos of high technical quality and the content is always interesting - OK some have criticised him, but I'm not one of them

    I enjoy what he produces and good luck to him - I think that he has been ill in the past and he is not a particularly strong looking guy, I hope that he is OK

  3. #3
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,056
    TGV has had a few collapsed lungs in his time... hope he's ok.

    Seems like a genuinely nice guy.

  4. #4
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    11
    Very interesting. Archie videos where the normal mental blatherings.



    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,629
    To be honest if what Archie is saying is true then TGV’s channel life could be a bit sketchy. He does some great production but it’s pretty obvious he uses pics he’s found online in his presentations. I guess this becomes an issue when you’re making an income off of your videos and using other people’s pictures.

    Rumour is he had a strike for copyright on a video, if that’s the case it must be a bit concerning IF a lot of his other videos have unauthorised pics among them.

    Not sure how that’d even unravel if this is the case? I guess it could get messy maybe and the money from advertising may be returned?

    Or it could all be hogwash. He did post an Instagram video from the uk recently so maybe he’s just on holiday...

  6. #6
    Craftsman TimeThoughts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    917
    I think TGV has been bought by a few companies (Squale ?) and I lost interest in his videos after that.

    Archie is a loudmouth but I like him (it helps if you own an Exp 2 and a Speedy).

    The best videos out there these days are Watchfinder, I reckon.

  7. #7
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    83
    I don't mind urban gentry, as with all these channels they lack any transparency so i take what they say with a pinch of salt. I quite enjoy just one more watch. That might be in part that he focusses on the budget end of the watch market in which I and my collection reside.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    66
    I think there was a video from TGV just before Christmas where he was in the UK and said his next one will be in January?

    Hopefully heís not running out of ideas for videos as I genuinely like their informative content and delivery.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  9. #9
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    66
    Bark and Jack is another channel that has interesting videos if anyoneís watched that at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  10. #10
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,080
    Watchbox is probably the best informed. Tim Mosso has to be the most knowledgeable guy producing watch videos. Itís paid for by a jeweller...Govberg...but is pretty hard hitting and goes way beyond the RolexíOmegaí Seiko themes. As best I can tell, most of the others donít know any more than many forum members.
    Watchfinder videos are good, but rather limited.
    I assume the issue is money.....good production costs, and the revenue must be minimal. Hence all the amateurs doing their best but not really knowing that much more than everbody else.

  11. #11
    Bark&Jack is too Sloaney. I really like this German guy, Tim at caseback watches.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5vcN58mox4

  12. #12
    Master bond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,398
    Blog Entries
    1
    He said back soon, 3 days ago on Instagram

    Sent via smoke signal using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Maidstone
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    Bark and Jack is another channel that has interesting videos if anyoneís watched that at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I really enjoy Bark and Jack despite not owning a Rolex - he talks sense & I like the style of the videos.

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    59
    new to these videos and that Archie chap pulls no punches.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Watchbox is probably the best informed. Tim Mosso has to be the most knowledgeable guy producing watch videos. Itís paid for by a jeweller...Govberg...but is pretty hard hitting and goes way beyond the RolexíOmegaí Seiko themes. As best I can tell, most of the others donít know any more than many forum members.
    Watchfinder videos are good, but rather limited.
    I assume the issue is money.....good production costs, and the revenue must be minimal. Hence all the amateurs doing their best but not really knowing that much more than everbody else.
    Have to agree with this. The most transparent channel, the best informed... watching anything else, youíre the product 😶

  16. #16
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    66
    Iíll have to give Watchbox a try.

    Teddy Balddassare and Federico Talks Watches are good channels as well.

    I always tend to stumble across one of these channels when researching a new purchase.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I really enjoy Bark and Jack despite not owning a Rolex - he talks sense & I like the style of the videos.
    I like this channel as well I don't own a Rolex either

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    I don't mind urban gentry, as with all these channels they lack any transparency so i take what they say with a pinch of salt. I quite enjoy just one more watch. That might be in part that he focusses on the budget end of the watch market in which I and my collection reside.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I like the reviews on just one more watch I like the budget but also when he gets some a bit more luxurious in for review. I've watched the Oris one a few times

  19. #19
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    Iíll have to give Watchbox a try.

    Teddy Balddassare and Federico Talks Watches are good channels as well.

    I always tend to stumble across one of these channels when researching a new purchase.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I quite enjoy Federico Talks Watches, covers a lot of brands. I also watch Bark & Jack but find his taste is watches a little bland - Tudor, Rolex and more recently Patek. I don't think he has that much in depth knowledge of the watch indsurty beyond those brands but he is trying to learn and starting to branch out. Noticed he went to visit Roger Smith last weekend. Despite his bias to certain brands I do find his videos very watchable.

  20. #20
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    england
    Posts
    352
    It's strange if you go back a few years on Archie videos and he's completely normal and relaxed.

    Obviously he's created the Archie persona as it generated more interest than just being the calm and seemingly nice chap Paul Pluta.

    I wonder if he is really skint, if he really is an alcoholic and if Archie really is a character........or did Paul Pluta just have an actual nervous breakdown

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    It's strange if you go back a few years on Archie videos and he's completely normal and relaxed.

    Obviously he's created the Archie persona as it generated more interest than just being the calm and seemingly nice chap Paul Pluta.

    I wonder if he is really skint, if he really is an alcoholic and if Archie really is a character........or did Paul Pluta just have an actual nervous breakdown
    Wonder no further.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYW...nfys7Y&index=6

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    2,963
    The best one by a mile is Bijou Diamond Jewelry. Very well presented and objective.

    The problem these guys on YouTube have is that they have they same problem as we have, they run out of original material and have to keep saying the same old thing in the hope that newbies will find it all very interesting.
    Last edited by Mick P; 28th January 2019 at 23:47.

  23. #23
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    35,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The problem with these guys is that they have they same problem as we have, they have to keep saying the same old thing in the hope that newbies will find it all very interesting.
    Why would anybody on a forum have to post anything in the hope that newbies find it interesting?

    It's rather the polar opposite surely?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    2,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Why would anybody on a forum have to post anything in the hope that newbies find it interesting?

    It's rather the polar opposite surely?.
    Because after a month you end up reading the same old tosh you read a month ago.

    There is only so much you can say about watches that has never been said before.

  25. #25
    Grand Master Chris_in_the_UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Norf Yorks
    Posts
    35,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Because after a month you end up reading the same old tosh you read a month ago.

    There is only so much you can say about watches that has never been said before.
    Why are you here Mick?

    Seriously?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    2,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Why are you here Mick?

    Seriously?
    Why are you here seriously - you got over 30,000 posts under your belt, most of them in the BP slagging everything off and that's a fact of life.

    On a personal front I have made myself a promise not to mention my most prolific topic which I won't mention now because it will mean mentioning the topic I said I would not mention.

    Another repetitive thing you and I are guilty of is arguing with each other. So end of discussion as far as I am concerned.

  27. #27
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    It's strange if you go back a few years on Archie videos and he's completely normal and relaxed.

    Obviously he's created the Archie persona as it generated more interest than just being the calm and seemingly nice chap Paul Pluta.

    I wonder if he is really skint, if he really is an alcoholic and if Archie really is a character........or did Paul Pluta just have an actual nervous breakdown
    Nope. He is as batshit loonie as he appears

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    2,837
    Let's hope the urban gentry guy is okay, as been said he's not had the best if luck health wise, I quite enjoy his Watch reviews and you have to admire his enthusiasm for Watches.

    Sent from my SM-A320FL using TZ-UK mobile app

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    83

    Urban Gentry?

    My issue with bark and Jack and Archie luxury is that they sometimes veer off topic and stray into what feels like financial advice. I'm not sure that advocating buying a watch on finance / credit cards or suggesting buying a Rolex is essentially free because you can mostly sell it for the same money further down the line is great advice for many people .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Zook; 29th January 2019 at 10:12. Reason: Typo

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    2,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Zook View Post
    My issue with bark and Jack and Archie luxury is that they sometimes veer off topic and stray into what inyo what feels like financial advice. I'm not sure that advocating watch buying a watch on finance / credit cards or suggesting buying a Rolex is essentially free because you can mostly sell it for the same money down the line is great advice for many people .


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Archie is 100% honest and not putting on an act, his life is a financial disaster. However to give credit where it is due, his advice on watches and residuals has been pretty spot on.

  31. #31
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    I like this channel as well I don't own a Rolex either
    Yup, I quite like the Bark and Jack videos as well. Does look as though he is branching out to other brands now as well which is nice but it's good to see someone who identifies their passion for a brand at the same time.

  32. #32
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    31,541

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    That's interesting as one of my photos of a Steinhart is being used by a Youtube watch blogger as his thumbnail and he claims it's his. I asked him if he would kind enough to remove it and use his own. He told me t F**K off. I tried to get it removed by Youtube but they couldn't care less as it's not legally/officially copyrighted. I cannot stand the Youtuber and so didn't want it being associated with his channel. I have asked other Youtube channels not to use my photo and they were perfectly respectful and took it down. I gave up in the end. Life is too short!

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    That's interesting as one of my photos of a Steinhart is being used by a Youtube watch blogger as his thumbnail and he claims it's his. I asked him if he would kind enough to remove it and use his own. He told me t F**K off. I tried to get it removed by Youtube but they couldn't care less as it's not legally/officially copyrighted. I cannot stand the Youtuber and so didn't want it being associated with his channel. I have asked other Youtube channels not to use my photo and they were perfectly respectful and took it down. I gave up in the end. Life is too short!
    Yeah I was wondering about that.

    Itís interesting how some people get so defensive about a picture theyíve put online for the world to see though isnít it. Iíve had my Instagram pics recycled a few times and never been asked if they can be used but it doesnít bother me in the slightest, if someone was saying it was there Watch or car or whatever then thatís different.

    Looking at that Instagram link to the gent who had his pic used in a video, surely any professional photographer has water marks or something. Thereís even other people on there saying theyíve used his pics with permission and heís happy to do so, so itís obviously not a monetary thing. Yet someone uses a pic & doesnít ask and itís WW3 and worthy of a big fuss about how much heís spent on camera equipment. I get that itís be nice to have credit but I do find it a bit odd really that these pics are out there for the world to see anyway.

    I guess tgv should have just asked really and heíd have been ok.

    As I said before though his vids are full of other peopleís pictures so he must be a bit concerned.

  35. #35
    Grand Master magirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Up North hinny
    Posts
    30,677
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Yeah I was wondering about that.

    Itís interesting how some people get so defensive about a picture theyíve put online for the world to see though isnít it. Iíve had my Instagram pics recycled a few times and never been asked if they can be used but it doesnít bother me in the slightest, if someone was saying it was there Watch or car or whatever then thatís different.

    Looking at that Instagram link to the gent who had his pic used in a video, surely any professional photographer has water marks or something. Thereís even other people on there saying theyíve used his pics with permission and heís happy to do so, so itís obviously not a monetary thing. Yet someone uses a pic & doesnít ask and itís WW3 and worthy of a big fuss about how much heís spent on camera equipment. I get that itís be nice to have credit but I do find it a bit odd really that these pics are out there for the world to see anyway.

    I guess tgv should have just asked really and heíd have been ok.

    As I said before though his vids are full of other peopleís pictures so he must be a bit concerned.
    A true gentleman would have asked.

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Yeah I was wondering about that.

    Itís interesting how some people get so defensive about a picture theyíve put online for the world to see though isnít it. Iíve had my Instagram pics recycled a few times and never been asked if they can be used but it doesnít bother me in the slightest, if someone was saying it was there Watch or car or whatever then thatís different.

    Looking at that Instagram link to the gent who had his pic used in a video, surely any professional photographer has water marks or something. Thereís even other people on there saying theyíve used his pics with permission and heís happy to do so, so itís obviously not a monetary thing. Yet someone uses a pic & doesnít ask and itís WW3 and worthy of a big fuss about how much heís spent on camera equipment. I get that itís be nice to have credit but I do find it a bit odd really that these pics are out there for the world to see anyway.

    I guess tgv should have just asked really and heíd have been ok.

    As I said before though his vids are full of other peopleís pictures so he must be a bit concerned.
    I got the distinct impression Youtube didn't have the intellect to work it all out as it isn't hard and is an easy fix. The Blogger just has to use his own photo or a simple screen shot. I think his exact words were, "my watch, my photo" initially and then when pressed he told me where to go. C'est la vie!

  37. #37
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    57

    Tim from Watchbox is the absolute best

    In terms of raw knowledge, Tim Mosso from the Watchbox is by far the best - no one touches him and is my favourite and most trusted watch guy. Most of the watches are more high end but Tim offers the most informative and accurate videos on a huge diversive range of watches. Since he works in the industry for the biggest pre-owned watch company in the world (unlike TGV, Bark&Jack, Teddy etc.) he also gets insider info and direct access to SIHH and Baselworld.
    Still, I follow most of the ones I've mentioned too. Watchfinder's videos are by the best quality though.

  38. #38
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Oxford, Oxfordshire
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    To be honest if what Archie is saying is true then TGVís channel life could be a bit sketchy.
    Archie would have a nerve calling anyone's life sketchy, a man that frequents Thailand to pick up hookers and befriends people like Gregory Davis (Who killed 3 people)

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,080
    Tim Mosso is streets ahead of the competition. He has no equal. But the key reason is.....finance. He gets paid by Govberg, travels to the shows, knows all the players, sees hundreds of watches. And it really shows. But most you-tuber watch blogs have no financial backing, earn very little and don’t have any industry clout. And again, it really shows.
    Guys like TGV, Bark and Jack, Archie and so on, are enthusiasts like us; I doubt they can ever really develop much. To do that, they’d need proper financial backing. Watchfinder could do it, if only to compete with Govberg in international markets. That would be interesting.

  40. #40
    Grand Master abraxas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    31,541
    I have found Roman Sharf to be quite good too.

  41. #41
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    San Francisco, USA
    Posts
    54
    I like TGV because I love his attitude and his emphasis on behaving like a gentleman. Pretty darn good for a man that young.

  42. #42
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    566
    When I first got into watches I watched the Urban Gentry and Archie. But these guys have just been left behind nowaday. Plus Urban Gentryís videos are always just way too long!

    Production value has just gone up massively, for example Bark and Jack vids are just so much easier to watch. Compared to some grainy image of a fat Australian in his basement chatting about Thai brides or whatever.

    The american versions of B&J are a little hard to swallow, like Theo and Harris. He is just so smarmy.

  43. #43
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by marschv View Post
    I like TGV because I love his attitude and his emphasis on behaving like a gentleman. Pretty darn good for a man that young.
    I sometimes feel tgv gives off a false sense of Britishness and plays on it. The earlier videos were better in my opinion

  44. #44
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Bridgnorth Shropshire
    Posts
    58

    Producer Michael

    Is an interesting one.

    Watches, cars and even ear rings.

    Hate blokes with ear rings. But it just sort of works with this guy.

  45. #45
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Is an interesting one.

    Watches, cars and even ear rings.

    Hate blokes with ear rings. But it just sort of works with this guy.
    I just found his channel and I have to say I really like his videos. I don't usually watch channels where people bang on about their wealth but this guy is almost humble and I actually find him inspirational. He has some seriously nice toys. Not keen on his wardrobe though!

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Is an interesting one.

    Watches, cars and even ear rings.

    Hate blokes with ear rings. But it just sort of works with this guy.
    Have you seen his new RR Dawn, in metallic blue. And he wears a watch to match the colour. Somehow, you end up liking him, even though heís a bit naff.

  47. #47
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    1,629
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Have you seen his new RR Dawn, in metallic blue. And he wears a watch to match the colour. Somehow, you end up liking him, even though heís a bit naff.
    Different world, what was it $5000 for the (pretty basic looking leather) floor mats? I guess when youíre selling a car for $350k base price the extras are easy to rip people off with.

  48. #48
    Plus his aristo background. I stopped watching him because of your point, my point and his mid-atlantic accent grates greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by neilF183 View Post
    I sometimes feel tgv gives off a false sense of Britishness and plays on it. The earlier videos were better in my opinion

  49. #49
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    350
    Off the back of this thread I watched a few of archie luxury's videos. I found his videos quite hard to watch. I felt the quality of his videos and his general persona left a lot to be desired.

  50. #50
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,670
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Different world, what was it $5000 for the (pretty basic looking leather) floor mats? I guess when youíre selling a car for $350k base price the extras are easy to rip people off with.
    Indeed. Genuinely screaming wealth. One of his many watches cost $1M (Jacob and Co) and he recently bought another. Crazy expensive wardrobe (that by the way gets given away and completely replaced every 6 months) including rows and rows of pairs of unworn shoes at $5k a pop. I watched a video last night where he casually bought a pair of cufflinks for $25k. Amazingly he manages to do it all with a degree of humility and I kind of like him. That may or may not be a factor in how successful he is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •