TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Classic Cars what do you have

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    My latest acquisition:

Any chance of some pics of the interior, just love period cars

Correct Andy, it's a 1940 Riley 12HP. Not been on the road since 1970.

I have been asked to document the car on behalf of the definitive originality database for the marque as it is unusually original, so I will pop a few on here when I have fulfilled the request.

My dilemma now is: restore, preserve, or sell? Heart says preserve but make it safe and use it; my head says sell. My wallet says that I would get very little for it which may be a deciding factor.

Master

I have been asked to document the car on behalf of the definitive originality database for the marque as it is unusually original, so I will pop a few on here when I have fulfilled the request.

My dilemma now is: restore, preserve, or sell? Heart says preserve but make it safe and use it; my head says sell. My wallet says that I would get very little for it which may be a deciding factor.
    also restoration cost can be 2 x what you initially think

looks a lovely car and will drive well, certainly needs preserving

did you just find it locally?

No Bill. I have had to clear out most of my wishlist projects. I had a couple of roadsters needing massive amounts of work and a friend fancied taking them on and offered this as a swapsie. My Riley cronies don't like parting with money; shuffling logbooks is much better for the health.
    If I go down the "ratrod" route there won't be much by way of expense, but if I want to make it look its best I will have some hefty chroming bills; unlike the postwar Rileys the hubcaps are steel, rusting slightly, and totally irreplaceable. Any other work will be done by myself, so materials only.
    When I recover it to my new workshop I can give it a full appraisal.

I have to build the workshop first......

Master
    No Bill. I have had to clear out most of my wishlist projects. I had a couple of roadsters needing massive amounts of work and a friend fancied taking them on and offered this as a swapsie. My Riley cronies don't like parting with money; shuffling logbooks is much better for the health.
    If I go down the "ratrod" route there won't be much by way of expense, but if I want to make it look its best I will have some hefty chroming bills; unlike the postwar Rileys the hubcaps are steel, rusting slightly, and totally irreplaceable. Any other work will be done by myself, so materials only.
    When I recover it to my new workshop I can give it a full appraisal.

I have to build the workshop first......
    I think that it is a car that must be saved - looks totally original down to the number plate - and as you say probably a reference example of the marque.
    That's my problem now - space and (probably age) - so gone are any thoughts of "old" cars or bikes

Good luck with whatever you chose to do

I am not surprised - it certainly has a barn find vibe.

As for what next. I suppose the big question is whether or not you really like it,the cost associated with at least getting it back on the road (preserve), and whether you will ever find another other one like that.

Whatever you decide I cannot believe many Riley's were built the same year the Battle of Britain was raging - so historically quite important, especially if its really original. It certainly is a lovely bit of English Motor heritage.

Decisions decisions.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redkite View Post

We need to see the rest of the car

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    We need to see the rest of the car
    Why ?

Why ?
    A thread entitled ‘Classic cars, what do you have’ suggests we might want to see the whole car rather than the steering wheel!

Particularly an E-Type, given the desirability.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    A thread entitled ‘Classic cars, what do you have’ suggests we might want to see the whole car rather than the steering wheel!

Particularly an E-Type, given the desirability.
    ‘Classic cars, what do you have’ is a question, the slightly cryptic answer was in the photo.

Now, if it was one of those 'show us your classic car' threads, then thats what i would have done....

Grand Master
    Why ?
    If the car's yours why not show a picture?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the car's yours why not show a picture?

Because i thought on a watch forum the wrist shot was more appropriate.

But if i must......

I was visiting family in Minnesota this past week (my daughter's 40th birthday) and had an opportunity to see my younger brother at his "auto collection garage." I've posted some pics of his collection before, but several of them were seller photos. Here are mine from Monday:

• 1949 Buick Roadmaster Convertible (all stock)
    • 1967 Pontiac GTO w/400 c.i. "tri-power"
    • 1972 DeTomaso Pantera GT w/505 hp Weber-carb Ford V8
    • 1955 Chevrolet w/383 c.i. "dual-quad" chromed small block
    • 1969 Ford Mustang 427
    • 1941 Willys Coupe w/502 c.i. GM "Big Block" crate motor

He bought at least half of them at the many regional Mecum classic car auctions. (Yes, my brother does have a 'thing' about black!)

Nice. Very very nice. Has he considered adding any black cars?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I was visiting family in Minnesota this past week (my daughter's 40th birthday) and had an opportunity to see my younger brother at his "auto collection garage." I've posted some pics of his collection before, but several of them were seller photos. Here are mine from Monday:

• 1949 Buick Roadmaster Convertible (all stock)
    • 1967 Pontiac GTO w/400 c.i. "tri-power"
    • 1972 DeTomaso Pantera GT w/505 hp Weber-carb Ford V8
    • 1955 Chevrolet w/383 c.i. "dual-quad" chromed small block
    • 1969 Ford Mustang 427
    • 1941 Willys Coupe w/502 c.i. GM "Big Block" crate motor

He bought at least half of them at the many regional Mecum classic car auctions. (Yes, my brother does have a 'thing' about black!)

Any color you like as long as it's black.

In order of my preference.

De Tomaso
    GTO
    Willys
    Fastback Mustang
    55 Chevy
    Buick

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s some lump in the Pantera GT stunning bet it sounds the DB

I love that Buick Road master.

A friend used to have a blue one as an everyday commuter!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

I have a 1984 Audi Coupe GT 5E, which was bought new. The body work is showing some signs of rust and the front seats are shot but it still runs well. In fact, my wife wife will be out in it this evening.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=ajdh;5218155]I have a 1984 Audi Coupe GT 5E, which was bought new. The body work is showing some signs of rust and the front seats are shot but it still runs well. In fact, my wife wife will be out in it this evening.

I remember selling the Audi Coupes when they were new. Lovely car to drive. Is your two or four wheel drive?

[QUOTE=BSB;5218171]
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I have a 1984 Audi Coupe GT 5E, which was bought new. The body work is showing some signs of rust and the front seats are shot but it still runs well. In fact, my wife wife will be out in it this evening.

I remember selling the Audi Coupes when they were new. Lovely car to drive. Is your two or four wheel drive?

It's only front wheel drive. A friend of mine has the second to last Coupe Quattro made. It's the same Tornado Red as mine and in immaculate condition.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=ajdh;5218206]
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post

It's only front wheel drive. A friend of mine has the second to last Coupe Quattro made. It's the same Tornado Red as mine and in immaculate condition.
    I remember bringing a late used GT 5E Coupe back from Reading to Kent late one Friday afternoon when I was in a hurry to get back. It was certainly spritely for its day.

[QUOTE=BSB;5218248]
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdh View Post
    I remember bringing a late used GT 5E Coupe back from Reading to Kent late one Friday afternoon when I was in a hurry to get back. It was certainly spritely for its day.
    Compared to modern cars, it feels its age. My wife loves it and has forbidden me from selling it. I'll be using it daily for the next few days, whilst my other Audi is being detailed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had the non-turbo quattro coupe. Still the most enjoyable car of that era I've ever driven. Comfy, relaxing to drive, lovely 5cyl engine and hung on like a limpet in corners. I tried buying one again 10 years ago but they were already rare and prices going mental for a good one.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 8th October 2019 at 09:11.

I saw an immaculate, refurbished example going for £30,000 only a few months ago.