closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic Cars what do you have

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    My latest VW project being lined in pallet wood before the camper build commences!

I’ll load build pics further down the line in a separate post, assuming folks are interested.
    Yes please.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes I love pictures of restorations
    I have loads of my TR6 as it was stripped down, when you see the body tub and Chassis then and afterwards when it was primed it’s rather good.
    Last edited by hilly10; 5th February 2019 at 21:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Rest assure. It's a classic. Which model is it?
    Thanks! It’s a bog standard S4, albeit it’s had a mildly tweaked set of engine chips, decat and X-pipe, fresh Bilsteins all round and a set of light alloy “Clubsport” wheels.

Murkey: I can well believe it, the electrics are extensive - although they are very logical and easy to work with as long as you’ve got the circuit diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    My latest VW project being lined in pallet wood before the camper build commences!

I’ll load build pics further down the line in a separate post, assuming folks are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You appear to have bought a railway carriage, Dave...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Close, Ian, but not quite!

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Thanks! It’s a bog standard S4, albeit it’s had a mildly tweaked set of engine chips, decat and X-pipe, fresh Bilsteins all round and a set of light alloy “Clubsport” wheels.

Murkey: I can well believe it, the electrics are extensive - although they are very logical and easy to work with as long as you’ve got the circuit diagrams.

Lovely. Those Clubsport wheels are easily worth £3k on their own. Great car.

As an aside, about 10 years ago, I was talking to a car restorer about some of the projects he had in workshop (inc Rowen Atkins Mk7 Jag, which he had bent earlier at Goodwood), and tucked away in the corner was a rather sad looking early Met Brown 928 S2. Interested to hear why the owner was getting that restored - this guy is not cheap, the restorer explained.

A) the car came to the owner after his father died (who had owned it from new) - hence was effectively free after he had paid import and tax - so not free
    b) the car had spent most of its life in Hong Kong - which explained the low mileage (about 15k), but also the general state of the car. It was ratty
    C) that he (the restorer) was only doing body work, the interior was being done by Southbound and the Engine/Gear box restored by Autofarm. Everything was being taken back to standard, including the white /brown checker cloth interior, (very 80's) so no expense spared.

I was shocked and questioned why anyone would spend £40k on a car worth about £4k and his response was simple.

Regardless of the family link, £40k for effectively a brand new Porsche supercar (in 2008), with 4 seats, capable of 170mph, which is unlikely to depreciate.

Which when you think about it actually made it an absolute no brainer, especially when compared with the cost of a new MB AMG or BMW M6 and how much these cars depreciate. Plus they are not a Porsche Proper man maths.
    Last edited by Andyg; 6th February 2019 at 09:44.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    My Impreza is 19 this year, modern classic maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Lovely. Those Clubsport wheels are easily worth £3k on their own. Great car.

As an aside, about 10 years ago, I was talking to a car restorer about some of the projects he had in workshop (inc Rowen Atkins Mk7 Jag, which he had bent earlier at Goodwood), and tucked away in the corner was a rather sad looking early Met Brown 928 S2. Interested to hear why the owner was getting that restored - this guy is not cheap, the restorer explained.

A) the car came to the owner after his father died (who had owned it from new) - hence was effectively free after he had paid import and tax - so not free
    b) the car had spent most of its life in Hong Kong - which explained the low mileage (about 15k), but also the general state of the car. It was ratty
    C) that he (the restorer) was only doing body work, the interior was being done by Southbound and the Engine/Gear box restored by Autofarm. Everything was being taken back to standard, including the white /brown checker cloth interior, (very 80's) so no expense spared.

I was shocked and questioned why anyone would spend £40k on a car worth about £4k and his response was simple.

Regardless of the family link, £40k for effectively a brand new Porsche supercar (in 2008), with 4 seats, capable of 170mph, which is unlikely to depreciate.

Which when you think about it actually made it an absolute no brainer, especially when compared with the cost of a new MB AMG or BMW M6 and how much these cars depreciate. Plus they are not a Porsche Proper man maths.
    Re the wheels, yes - I got very lucky with those, they were about £600 on eBay a good few years ago.

As it happens I am plotting a full restoration of my car, as the bodywork is getting a bit tatty and the interior could do with some TLC. Southbound are booked up till the end of time (well, well into 2020 I gather) so I'm planning to use a couple of decent local places. Won't get much change from £20K but fundamentally this is a labour of love and I confidently expect to own this car till the end of my driving days; the 928 was my poster car as a kid and I've never got over the infatuation! The good news for me is that the oily bits of mine are in good order, the engine was replaced 6 years ago and I had Paul Anderson do all the usual bits on the donor engine before it went in. Though there is always something on these cars!

Blog Entries
    Not entirely sure it counts as a "classic" (it's a 1991 car) but I've had this for 12 years and feel no desire to sell it just yet. Cross-plane V8, transaxle, aluminium body panels and pop-up headlights: what's not to like?

Cars by preachercain1, on Flickr
    Great cars and fast appreciating. Got rid of ours two years ago

Here is mine
    Last edited by kibrisjason; 7th February 2019 at 12:07.

Some of my old cars

Both of these were mine at the same time, I lent the red 3000 to a friend one year to take to Le Mans. I still have the white car, now restored, now waiting for the new Dunlop wheels to be fitted!

"A man of little significance"

Nice cars, one question - which one is yours, the British brute, the lary Italian or the Stasi mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Nice cars, one question - which one is yours, the British brute, the lary Italian or the Stasi mobile?

Being as I am a man of style and finesse, it's the rear-engine air-cooled rally machine which cost me £50 (which included a bra in the glovebox).

I found a nice new home for the bra in the front n/s wing of my friend's Healey he was restoring. He was a bit of a tit but with that got off much lighter than when he had his MGB sprayed and (probably due to always being a tit about money and quality of work) 'somehow' a ball bearing made its way into the sill and rattled like crazy every time he went round a corner or braked.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Being as I am a man of style and finesse, it's the rear-engine air-cooled rally machine which cost me £50 (which included a bra in the glovebox).

I found a nice new home for the bra in the front n/s wing of my friend's Healey he was restoring. He was a bit of a tit but with that got off much lighter than when he had his MGB sprayed and (probably due to always being a tit about money and quality of work) 'somehow' a ball bearing made its way into the sill and rattled like crazy every time he went round a corner or braked.
    Your right about the Rally heritage but not sure about the finesse!

I’ve heard a 928 with a x-pipe - sounded fantastic.

Re the wheels, yes - I got very lucky with those, they were about £600 on eBay a good few years ago.

As it happens I am plotting a full restoration of my car, as the bodywork is getting a bit tatty and the interior could do with some TLC. Southbound are booked up till the end of time (well, well into 2020 I gather) so I'm planning to use a couple of decent local places. Won't get much change from £20K but fundamentally this is a labour of love and I confidently expect to own this car till the end of my driving days; the 928 was my poster car as a kid and I've never got over the infatuation! The good news for me is that the oily bits of mine are in good order, the engine was replaced 6 years ago and I had Paul Anderson do all the usual bits on the donor engine before it went in. Though there is always something on these cars!

A proper Labour of love. Respect.

Ref Southbound, not the easiest people to work with, but one of only a few places with access to genuine OEM fabric and leathers.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Not entirely sure it counts as a "classic" (it's a 1991 car) but I've had this for 12 years and feel no desire to sell it just yet. Cross-plane V8, transaxle, aluminium body panels and pop-up headlights: what's not to like?

Cars by preachercain1, on Flickr
    That is lovely. What have running costs been like? (More servicing & repairs I mean)

I finally had my new D-Type alloys and Michelin XAS tyres fitted on Friday, took it out for a drive nice and early this morning, the grip and comfort levels compared to the old tyres are significantly better. Next up, a bigger ARB, 4.1:1 diff (currently running a 3.5:1 old man touring diff) and some decent brake pads and fluid. And then a trip to the rolling road. But maybe some electronic ignition first. And then...

Very nice Simon!

They suit the car nicely :)

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Very nice Simon!

They suit the car nicely :)
    Thank you, it was quite a change from the wires and I had to hope I'd like them! So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by kibrisjason View Post
    Here is mine
    An Urraco?

That is rare - late model?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    An Urraco?

That is rare - late model?
    Jalpa 1981 - 1988

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely Healey. One of my all time British cars

PS Anyone local to Cosford Air Museum M54 Jun3 wants to bring their Classic along for a breakfast meet on Sunday May 12th 10am to 2pm drop me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Jalpa 1981 - 1988
    Am I the only one thinking Rocky 4 - there's no easy way out

Blog Entries
    This is my 924 Turbo, 1980 S1 car.

I've lowered it a tad and stuck Fuchs on it. I love it, proper 80's turbo, lag up to around 4k then kicks you in the ass as the turbo kicks in.

Original brown Pasha interior, sitting in it is like going back in time :)

Appreciating as well so I'm a happy bunny.

Craftsman
    Mine, I'm 6 4", and its getting a struggle to make an elegant exit

Master
    The last 2 are great. I love the 924 but then I use a 944 daily first car was a 998 cooper. It got exported to Italy to rally and then bent rather
    https://www.autobelle.it/en/a/For_sa...98_54757.xhtml

I always promised my self a 1071S but the current prices are just mad and there are lots of other things I'd rather have for the £35k I'd have to give for one today. Shame really but that's the market apparently.

Master
    Love the 924. Couldn’t be any more 80s!

Welding should be complete on the M3 this week and then it’s on to the exciting part - paint! New inner and outer rear arches plus quarter and rear panels are all on. I can safely say that the nearside rear is the most rust free E30 in the UK

Last edited by benny.c; 12th March 2019 at 21:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I finally had my new D-Type alloys and Michelin XAS tyres fitted on Friday, took it out for a drive nice and early this morning, the grip and comfort levels compared to the old tyres are significantly better. Next up, a bigger ARB, 4.1:1 diff (currently running a 3.5:1 old man touring diff) and some decent brake pads and fluid. And then a trip to the rolling road. But maybe some electronic ignition first. And then...

Looks fantastic with those wheels

Craftsman
    There are some lovely cars on this thread! Here are my two:

Master
    I purchased my (now departed) 944 in the dark and didn’t realise it was pink until the morning after...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    Wow, would love one of these.

I don't personally own this but for the last 8 years I have looked after this for my brother who has emigrated to New Zealand. Full nuts and bolt rebuild and respray before he left. Nice to use for the month we have sunshine over here.

Very very nice car

Craftsman
    I'll fit mine in

Classic Cars what do you have

When do they become classic for this thread’s sake?
    I think mine IS a classic, but not sure if old enough yet (55 plate)...

(Maybe it’s iconic, but not classic?)

Blog Entries
    Often when it's no longer produced. Every Ferrari (not my cup of tea tbh) that's no longer available as 'new' from a dealer can be considered a classic. My first gen VW UP, however, is not... Sort of what we see with the 5 digit Rolex watches: production ceased only a few years ago - now a classic already.

Perhaps there's a rule like: ...the more admired and sought after when new, the sooner it will become a classic when it's not available anymore.

​Menno

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I purchased my (now departed) 944 in the dark and didn’t realise it was pink until the morning after...

‘Champagne’ sounds better than pink.... or does it...?

Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    'Silver Rose' I think that's called, pretty sure it was standard colour on an edition of the 944 Turbo?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think all of the new and a few years old hypo sportscars ie Ferrari, Lamborghini McLaren Porsche and others is that they are rare, petrol heads love them and will become classics, and as such always get posted in these threads. When you go to the major Classic car show at the NEC there are brand new Porsche GT3 RS on show, brand new but classic status

Blog Entries
    I like it!

Master
    Oh, a million times better!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    'Silver Rose' I think that's called, pretty sure it was standard colour on an edition of the 944 Turbo?
    That rings a bell, I think you’re right. I actually grew to like it but did get a little fed up of being asked why I’d purchased a pink car.

Master
    Unfortunately not mine anymore, the car, wife is still around.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    When do they become classic for this thread’s sake?
    I think mine IS a classic, but not sure if old enough yet (55 plate)...

(Maybe it’s iconic, but not classic?)

Normally 20 years specified by insurance company's. 15 years I believe is the legal requirement. Different insurance company's may insure 15 year old vehicles
    depending on make/model. I have a 1966 Volvo P1800S in very good order. Had it for 8 years now and am thinking of selling. Fancy an Aston Martin Vantage
    4.3 . made 2005 so approching classic status. I did however see a 2007 model for sale stating classic insurance available .
    Legally I don't think so but there may be some specialist company's offering favourable terms

Regards Paul

My E-Class Sportline Cabriolet A124 - Supplied by the dealer in March 1995, so comfortably within the definition of a classic car.
    I bought it in March 2005 from Charles Ironside, a classic Mercedes specialist in Hampshire.

I took it off the road in 2010, when I was working in the US for a couple of years - It's been dry stored since then.
    I'm ashamed to say that I have not had time to fettle some corrosion on the front wings - they all do that, sir !

#1 son in the front passenger seat is now at university in Liverpool - and I am determined to recommission it for this Summer.

The last of the heavyweight Mercedes models, it will likely outlast me.
    Last edited by W124; 14th March 2019 at 16:58.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W124 View Post
    My E-Class Sportline Cabriolet A124 - Supplied by the dealer in March 1995, so comfortably within the definition of a classic car.
    I bought it in March 2005 from Charles Ironside, a classic Mercedes specialist in Hampshire.

I took it off the road in 2010, when I was working in the US for a couple of years - It's been dry stored since then.
    I'm ashamed to say that I have not had time to fettle some corrosion on the front wings - they all do that, sir !

The last of the heavyweight Mercedes models, it will likely outlast me.
    Very nice, reminds me of my old W202, 235,000 miles (petrol engine) still going strong but the corrosion.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Bullet proof engines in those old Mercs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Looks like one of the medium sizes buses that I see around often for elderly or wheelchair users?

Classic Cars what do you have

Quote Originally Posted by paul staines View Post
    Normally 20 years specified by insurance company's. 15 years I believe is the legal requirement. Different insurance company's may insure 15 year old vehicles
    depending on make/model. I have a 1966 Volvo P1800S in very good order. Had it for 8 years now and am thinking of selling. Fancy an Aston Martin Vantage
    4.3 . made 2005 so approching classic status. I did however see a 2007 model for sale stating classic insurance available .
    Legally I don't think so but there may be some specialist company's offering favourable terms

Regards Paul
    So mine is a minter Impreza WRX Prodrive. Unfettled with, all standard WRX but with the factory Prodrive upgrades and mapping.
    Still has the original cassette radio and everything!

Bought new by a chap I know, and has full Subaru history with just 80k - I am sure it’ll be a classic at some point. (Here’s hoping!)
    It is my daily driver so have taken out shares in Shell Petroleum.....

Sorry for the duff photo of my Mrs trying to curb the alloys!

Last edited by notenoughwrists; 15th March 2019 at 14:58.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    So mine is a minter Impreza WRX Prodrive. Unfettled with, all standard WRX but with the factory Prodrive upgrades and mapping.
    Still has the original cassette radio and everything!

Bought new by a chap I know, and has full Subaru history with just 80k - I am sure it’ll be a classic at some point. (Here’s hoping!)
    It is my daily driver so have taken out shares in Shell Petroleum.....

Sorry for the duff photo of my Mrs trying to curb the alloys!

Nice. What year ?

Dec’55 - the absolute last of the 2.0 engines

Craftsman