closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Anti (new) Rolex thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    This thread has made me dig out my 1967 5513 and wear it for the day on a £7 Zulu which I normally reserve for my 007

a quick wrist shot

That looks cool as.....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Pretty much sums it up for me too, Scott. I’m lucky enough to have some nice 4 and 5 digit Rolex models, but I want the new GMT and Daytona because I genuinely love the watches. I’ve been let down in terms of waiting lists and am certainly not going to go around begging ADs now. However, I’m not going to pay over the odds either.

Im a bit annoyed that those who just want to turn the watches for a profit seem to get multiples of everything, but I guess that’s the way it is now. It’s not made me a “hater” but I’ve certainly lost respect for the brand pretty much completely.
    A good post. I have respect for the brand still, in terms of quality and aftercare, but the whole spirit of the hobby suffers in my opinion when the market is manipulated as it currently is.
    You should be able to walk into an AD and, if not buy straight away, then order any model you want and receive it in a reasonable amount of time to enjoy using it in for the purpose it was designed.
    All the mark-ups, safe-queenery and pretend added value that follows the brand around is a bit pathetic.
    But there's one born every minute as they say.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    A good post. I have respect for the brand still, in terms of quality and aftercare, but the whole spirit of the hobby suffers in my opinion when the market is manipulated as it currently is.
    You should be able to walk into an AD and, if not buy straight away, then order any model you want and receive it in a reasonable amount of time to enjoy using it in for the purpose it was designed.
    All the mark-ups, safe-queenery and pretend added value that follows the brand around is a bit pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Expect supply to increase in the UK this year. Where main agents previously may have expected two or three Pepsi GMTs per year, it will in fact be perhaps four times that.

Not written in haste.
    That's good news for everyone. And especially the hobby.

Yes, I agree with you in terms of respecting the quality of the product, and also the servicing and customer care capabilities; however, Rolex are well aware of the way the market is operating and have chosen to add fuel to the fire.

Oh, and you’re spot on in terms of customers having the ability to buy, or to have orders fulfilled within a reasonable timeframe.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    To a number, I believe, but not sure about the Paytona.

Obviously expecting some slight tweaks and changes to movements / possible bezels on GMTs at Basel as well.
    I really hope that the yellow gold GMT gets a different bezel this year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I wonder if we'll see a few people trying to kash - sorry, I mean cash - in on their new Rolexes ASAP to maximise profits before oversupply wipes out any profit Watchfinder would be willing to offer over list?
    I've always enjoyed your posts but I think that's a little out of line personally.

Quote Originally Posted by RAFF View Post
    I’d really like a Sub no date, but if I walked into an AD and was told I’d need to join a waiting list for a year or more I’d say no thanks and go to one of the many other brands out there that produce watches of same or better quality. There’s just too much choice and diversity for me to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But you can walk into any Rolex AD and buy a stainless steel Rolex of equal quality. It’s just certain models in short supply, there’s plenty of other choice and diversity in the Rolex range too!

Master
    That's good news for everyone.
    Not anyone who has paid £14,000+ for one - if anyone has actually been desperate enough to pay the 100%+ premium sellers seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    But you can walk into any Rolex AD and buy a stainless steel Rolex of equal quality. It’s just certain models in short supply, there’s plenty of other choice and diversity in the Rolex range too!
    That’s true but I tend to have a wish list of what I want and if there are no other Rolex models on it, I’m going to go to the next watch on the list that is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Well put Scott.
    Just to pick you up on one point. The blue dial SkyD is far nicer then the black.;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Cheers

The blue... it does look good, but I just like the black a lot more personally in this model. I think it's because the steel black dial remedied the only bit of the WG model that I would have liked to change (not that I would not love and wear the original WG version and be happy)- but as I already had arabics on my white gold Daytona I thought it would make a nice difference to wear - I will buy one at some stage :)

Thinking about it, I do have quite a few blue dial watches, but I still have a huge preference for black overall. The blues do actually stand out a lot more though.

Well, a quick update - and quite bizarrely, I’ve just had a call about my enquiry for the black dialled Sky-Dweller - it’s arriving this week and can I arrange to come and collect?

So, after all the talk of AD’s not fulfilling orders etc. I have to now concede that sometimes an enthusiast rather than a profiteer can get hold of at least one Rolex model that they’ve wanted - just might have taken slightly longer than I had originally planned, and changing the car will have to wait yet again!

So, Simon... I’m hoping I still prefer it to the blue dial, as this is likely to be one of my very long term keepers - I’m really quite excited :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not anyone who has paid £14,000+ for one - if anyone has actually been desperate enough to pay the 100%+ premium sellers seek.
    In some ways it's good news for them - it's a lesson learned!

IF they learn... some people seem to scoop their brains out and top up the space with money...

Well, a quick update - and quite bizarrely, I’ve just had a call about my enquiry for the black dialled Sky-Dweller - it’s arriving this week and can I arrange to come and collect?

So, after all the talk of AD’s not fulfilling orders etc. I have to now concede that sometimes an enthusiast rather than a profiteer can get hold of at least one Rolex model that they’ve wanted - just might have taken slightly longer than I had originally planned, and changing the car will have to wait yet again!

So, Simon... I’m hoping I still prefer it to the blue dial, as this is likely to be one of my very long term keepers - I’m really quite excited :)
    I bet you are! Stunning watch look forward to pics

Quote from the brilliant novel 'Jennifer Government':

"John here," the other John said, "pioneered the concept of marketing by refusing to sell any products. It drives the market insane."

https://www.amazon.com/Jennifer-Gove...t+by+max+barry

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    Quote from the brilliant novel 'Jennifer Government':

"John here," the other John said, "pioneered the concept of marketing by refusing to sell any products. It drives the market insane."

https://www.amazon.com/Jennifer-Gove...t+by+max+barry
    I think Haagen Dazs ice cream used this marketing technique at launch very successfully. Heavy advertising, limited supply to build up desire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Rolex and mystique are not two words I would readily associate together.

The most recognisable brand in the world - probably.

The most talked about - certainly.

There was a time when a Rolex on the wrist was a sign of quality, sometimes taste, undoubtedly a certain wealth.

Now? Well let's just say a Rolex on the wrist is certainly a quality pounds sign... albeit the price of entry to the club has increased as a proportion of income.

As for taste? Your dream may be another's nightmare.

I blame the Internet. Rolex probably thanks it.
    I fear that if you think a Rolex is saying anything about you, you're deluded. 99.99% of people wouldn't even notice, or know what a Rolex looked like (compared to any other generic sports watch). And the 0.01% that might will either not care a jot or, at best, wonder briefly whether it's a fake before moving on to something more interesting, like wondering what's for their tea.

Wear a Rolex if you enjoy the watch (I do), but it's VERY unlikely to impress anyone, sorry.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Scott, that is most excellent news - thrilled for you. I am sure you will love the watch. Mine is my favourite modern piece, by some margin. Such a clever design too. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Scott, that is most excellent news - thrilled for you. I am sure you will love the watch. Mine is my favourite modern piece, by some margin. Such a clever design too. Enjoy.
    Cheers Simon.

I should have ordered the blue and flipped it immediately for the few thousand profit lol

But seriously, it’s probably the most exciting purchase since the Patek 5711 for me. I think it could well be a purchase that will ultimately lead to a huge sell-off. What more do you need 24h hand and an annual calendar... most bases covered for both home and travel use.

Master
    I want a Rolex BUT I don't LIKE any of them. None of them connect with me emotionally, none stun me with their beauty or impress me with their cleverness and while they are all beautifully engineered pieces, this is not enough to persuade me to part with the rather steep price, never mind the wait and faff of lists.
    I suspect this is the nature of a solid brand that is heavily marketed.

The one thing (to me) that is great about a Rolex is the residuals, but then I'd rather buy a watch that I have no intention of selling, rather than a watch that will fetch a good price when I sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I fear that if you think a Rolex is saying anything about you, you're deluded. 99.99% of people wouldn't even notice, or know what a Rolex looked like (compared to any other generic sports watch). And the 0.01% that might will either not care a jot or, at best, wonder briefly whether it's a fake before moving on to something more interesting, like wondering what's for their tea.

Wear a Rolex if you enjoy the watch (I do), but it's VERY unlikely to impress anyone, sorry.
    You'd be surprised how recognizable the cyclops is to the average person and how well-known the brand is.
    Yes, it's something of a regular thing that the "is it real" issue crops up, but generally a dismissive "yeah it is" moves things along.
    As for impressing people - well lve encountered quite a few people who have taken a great deal of interest in my rolex and said they'd love one.
    The flip side is lve also encountered a lot of resentful comments and brand hatred from a wide range of non-enthusiasts. Ownership is often seen as being a flash b*****d...
    ...perhaps l am! 😀

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    I think Haagen Dazs ice cream used this marketing technique at launch very successfully. Heavy advertising, limited supply to build up desire.
    Nightclub queues.

Master

Congrats, the sky dweller is a stunning watch - all 3 dials are great. I’m sure you’ll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    I want a Rolex BUT I don't LIKE any of them. None of them connect with me emotionally, none stun me with their beauty or impress me with their cleverness and while they are all beautifully engineered pieces, this is not enough to persuade me to part with the rather steep price, never mind the wait and faff of lists.

The one thing (to me) that is great about a Rolex is the residuals, but then I'd rather buy a watch that I have no intention of selling, rather than a watch that will fetch a good price when I sell it.
    I'm not sure any connect with me emotionally, they are just very well made watches.

I can't remember ever buying a previous Rolex with the sole intention of cashing it in at some stage in the future; they have all been bought to wear and enjoy (oh, ok apart from 2 or 3 bought to store away as unworn as collectibles or a future gift for my son).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Congrats, the sky dweller is a stunning watch - all 3 dials are great. I’m sure you’ll love it.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Anyone paying over RRP cannot complain if the prices cool on these sought after sports models and they end up in negative equity so to speak. Of course it's their money to do what they like with but I shan't shed a tear if they loose out if and when supply increases. That's the price you pay for having to have what you want right now.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 28th January 2019 at 22:28. Reason: supply not demand!!!

Master
    You'd be surprised how recognizable the cyclops is to the average person and how well-known the brand is.
    Yes, it's something of a regular thing that the "is it real" issue crops up, but generally a dismissive "yeah it is" moves things along.
    As for impressing people - well lve encountered quite a few people who have taken a great deal of interest in my rolex and said they'd love one.
    The flip side is lve also encountered a lot of resentful comments and brand hatred from a wide range of non-enthusiasts. Ownership is often seen as being a flash b*****d...
    ...perhaps l am! 
    Maybe you move in different circles to me. The people I mostly associate with are as interested in the brand of watch on my wrist as they are in the brand of tyres on my car or what sort of socks I'm wearing. :D

Craftsman
    Cheers Simon.

I should have ordered the blue and flipped it immediately for the few thousand profit lol

But seriously, it’s probably the most exciting purchase since the Patek 5711 for me. I think it could well be a purchase that will ultimately lead to a huge sell-off. What more do you need 24h hand and an annual calendar... most bases covered for both home and travel use.
    I’ve got a blue skydweller and it’s my favourite watch. Took me a few days to bond with mine but now I love it.

I’m getting strangely excited about the upcoming 28th Feb for the date / month change :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
    I’ve got a blue skydweller and it’s my favourite watch. Took me a few days to bond with mine but now I love it.

I’m getting strangely excited about the upcoming 28th Feb for the date / month change :)
    You're excited about having to manually set the date?

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    You're excited about having to manually set the date?
    It takes all sorts...

Wow, what a post, what a first sentence. Your one admitted plus for the brand is that they have good residuals. It's this very attitude that increases the bubble.

My advice, look elsewhere.

David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Journeyman

I have been looking to buy a Rolex gmt for a couple of years now. Missed out on a good one on this forum. I always end up buying seamasters or speedmasters.
    They seem to offer such good value for money. I tend to pay between £1,500.00 and £3,500.00 for very good condition sets with box and papers.
    Currently trying to buy a planet ocean deep black with black and orange rubber strap. Price new in 2018 £5,900.00. Expect to pay around 3.5 k. Good value !
    I have not ruled out the Rolex and will probably buy one at some point but there are very many other quality watches out there priced sensibly.
    Regards Paul

Craftsman
    Only day of the year I need to manually change the date .... novelty for us sky-dweller owners :lol:

( alright I’ll admit it ... I was forgetting it wasn’t a perpetual date .... looks like I’ll have to look forward to April 30th instead for my next bit of excitement ;) :lol: )

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    How sad

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Embrace your inner nerd

How sad

It’s better than being excited about the next toxic post you can make.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
    Only day of the year I need to manually change the date .... novelty for us sky-dweller owners :lol:

( alright I’ll admit it ... I was forgetting it wasn’t a perpetual date .... looks like I’ll have to look forward to April 30th instead for my next bit of excitement ;) :lol: )
    April should be fine, it only needs adjusting once a year.

Craftsman

The Anti (new) Rolex thread

I know , got confused with annual and perpetual earlier :lol: ... that’s why it’s ‘exciting’ ;) ... all the rest of my watches needing changing whist the skydweller sits there looking smug

From this, am I right in thinking that it always sees February as having 29 days?

I’d have thought it more sensible to build it with February having 28 days and only having to reset the watch once every four years. Although I appreciate that brings its own set of issues.

From this, am I right in thinking that it always sees February as having 29 days?

I’d have thought it more sensible to build it with February having 28 days and only having to reset the watch once every four years. Although I appreciate that brings its own set of issues.
    Someone with seemingly more technical knowledge than me explained that making February shorter than 30 days is most of the bother in making a perpetual calendar, so that you may as well finish the job. (That was on WUS though....)

In any case, if you do shorten February, two things come up: if you make it have 29 days, then 3 years out of 4 you have to adjust the watch; and if you make it have 28 days, then in leap years the watch will be incapable of displaying February 29th.

Craftsman
    I’m making the assumption it’ll carry onto the 30th given the chance .... who doesn’t love a bit of anticipation ? :lol:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    How sad am I

Ftfy

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Someone with seemingly more technical knowledge than me explained that making February shorter than 30 days is most of the bother in making a perpetual calendar, so that you may as well finish the job. (That was on WUS though....)

In any case, if you do shorten February, two things come up: if you make it have 29 days, then 3 years out of 4 you have to adjust the watch; and if you make it have 28 days, then in leap years the watch will be incapable of displaying February 29th.
    The inability to display February 29th was one of the issues that I was alluding to but possibly a small price to pay for only having to adjust once every four years.

I hadn’t considered that February could actually be 30 days meaning you’d need to advance two days each year. I could accept advancing one day due to the 29th but if I had to advance it two days I’d be pretty annoyed and consider it very poor form.

Apprentice
    I want a Rolex BUT I don't LIKE any of them.
    If you don't like them, why do you want one?

Master
    I am one of those that paid over retail for my omega snoopy and my daytona. Do I regret it nope, as I have a watch that I like and get to wear now. The daytona situation I got caught last time in not going grey and ended up waiting 4 years or so and paying more than the grey price at the time. Watches are not investments they are something that I like and buy as and when.

I am surprised at all this anti Rolex fan fare as I find Patek the same, to get this model buy this or that or wait X number of years.
    Last edited by shoppy; 29th January 2019 at 21:01.

I could accept advancing one day due to the 29th but if I had to advance it two days I’d be pretty annoyed and consider it very poor form.
    Price of Skydweller (£11,100) minus price of similar DJ 41 (£7,250) = £3,850, which buys you a second time zone, an annual calendar function and the clever bezel.

Price of second time zone = cost of Explorer 2 (£6,250) minus cost of Explorer 1 (£5,000) = £1,250

Cost of annual calendar function and the clever bezel is £3,850 - £1,250 = £2,600

Do you think you're not getting a sufficiently sophisticated annual calendar function for £2,600?

Price of Skydweller (£11,100) minus price of similar DJ 41 (£7,250) = £3,850, which buys you a second time zone, an annual calendar function and the clever bezel.

Price of second time zone = cost of Explorer 2 (£6,250) minus cost of Explorer 1 (£5,000) = £1,250

Cost of annual calendar function and the clever bezel is £3,850 - £1,250 = £2,600

Do you think you're not getting a sufficiently sophisticated annual calendar function for £2,600?
    I wasn’t actually thinking about the Skydweller or the cost as I’m not intending buying one.

If I was buying ANY annual calendar watch, I’d expect it to accommodate February’s 28 days or at a push 29 days. If I were paying for a clever mechanical toy, I’d expect it to do what I was paying for it to do.

I wasn’t actually thinking about the Skydweller or the cost as I’m not intending buying one.

If I was buying ANY annual calendar watch, I’d expect it to accommodate February’s 28 days or at a push 29 days. If I were paying for a clever mechanical toy, I’d expect it to do what I was paying for it to do.
    An annual calendar means you adjust it annually, is not £2,600 a good price for that? Looking at the IWC Portuguese range, the difference in price between the annual calendar and the perpetual calendar is £6,500.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 29th January 2019 at 12:52. Reason: Got me words the wrong way round

An annual calendar means you adjust it annually, £2,600 is not a good price for that. Looking at the IWC Portuguese range, the difference in price between the annual calendar and the perpetual calendar is £6,500.

I’ve always been of the opinion that an annual calendar means it adjusts for every day of the year. The exception being leap years for which you need a perpetual calendar.

Perhaps its my perception that’s wrong.

The cost (or prices charged) doesn’t really enter into it although it’s clear from a complexity point of view that a PC will be considerably more expensive than an AC.

iirc, a mechanism that corrects for the non leap year Februarys, and, so is wrong only once every four years, is called a "semi-perpetual calendar". I once had a quartz Seiko with that function (6m26 movement)

Apprentice
    iirc, a mechanism that corrects for the non leap year Februarys, and, so is wrong only once every four years, is called a "semi-perpetual calendar". I once had a quartz Seiko with that function (6m26 movement)
    I think that is what an annual calander would do. If I am not wrong an annual calander needs to be adjusted only every fourth year.
    A reasonable explanation of calendar watches-
    https://monochrome-watches.com/techn...endar-watches/

Quote Originally Posted by Watchfun1 View Post
    I think that is what an annual calander would do. If I am not wrong an annual calander needs to be adjusted only every fourth year.
    A reasonable explanation of calendar watches-
    https://monochrome-watches.com/techn...endar-watches/
    From the link you gave: "An annual calendar ... requires to be corrected manually once a year ... The only thing that is not automatically corrected is the month of February, with its 28 days."

From the link you gave: "An annual calendar ... requires to be corrected manually once a year ... The only thing that is not automatically corrected is the month of February, with its 28 days."
    Not quite, here’s the whole paragraph in full.

“Most calendar watches complete 31 days cycles and require a regular adjustment (5 times a year) to ensure that the correct date is displayed. An annual calendar automatically adjust the date displayed, based on the different length of the month and requires to be corrected manually once a year (in the worst case depending on its mechanism). Such calendar watches take into account the months with 30 or 31 days. The only thing that is not automatically corrected is the month of February, with its 28 days.”

Note the section in brackets. To me, this says that some AC movements adjust for February’s 28 days too although others don’t.