TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Air-King 116900

Master

Rolex Air-King 116900

Did a search and could only find one thread that really mentioned it

seems that there not much love for this watch, the 116900, on the Forum

I think that the specification is really good and I like the design

but yet another Rolex that you have to join a waiting list for

I think a quick ring around a few ADs will have you picking up one of these this week. There’s almost always one in my local AD’s window.

Master
    Put up a WTB and I would think you would get one and save a few quid.
    I think they wear well on the wrist.

I picked one up in May last year after waiting a few weeks. I really disliked the watch at launch and it appeared cobbled together from the Rolex spare parts bin but slowly I came round to liking it. The 3 6 9 does not really stand out when wearing the watch and it is quite discreet despite the yellow & green logo.

I am sure a few phone calls will get you one and it is a lovely watch.

The love will come when this watch is discontinued which I am predicting at Basel this year*.

(*Based on my non-professional uninformed opinion)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    but yet another Rolex that you have to join a waiting list for
    Surely not - they're often in AD windows. (I like them too, nice slightly left-field choice.)

Master
    when "Birth year" is mentioned, (on this Forum), is that the year that appears on the plastic card against the serial number - obvious, but just wanted to check?

or is there a list of serial numbers published by Rolex to state the year the watch was produced?

Craftsman

No waiting for that one.

You will certainly have no problem picking this one up from an AD and certainly on the secondary market under retail. A disaster of a watch from the Rolex design department and deserves to be unloved. Rolex has a couple of classics, maybe not so many from the updated case era but the Airking reissue will certainly never be one.

On the plus side, as soon as the Air king is discontinued everyone will want one and the value of yours will climb....err ..probably. I remember when SD4K's were in AD windows feeling unloved at list price.

They did have one at the airport a few months ago when I was flying out - no sports models apart from full 18k though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I’ll admit to being horrified when I saw the initial publicity shots of it, but having seen it in the flesh it’s certainly a lot nicer and at the price is an attractive alternative to Milgauss.

Master
    The shiny metallic 3, 6 and 9 put me off. I'd have quite liked it if they'd been lumed.

On an Air King related theme, I have had this in my sights three times now but only online. I have yet to actually hold it in my hands. I fully appreciate that it would be a difficult piece to get out of if I needed to sell but I keep coming back to it none the less. Wonder if it's a worth a WTB?

Master
    Wearing mine this week and it flies under the radar and very comfortable to wear. Something a bit more upbeat that explorer 1 / OP (which I both like!) and not as common as submariners. Easy to find so maybe try before you buy? Quick search on Chrono24 and lowest in UK is 4.5k so might as well buy new.

Craftsman
    Not for me im surprised with rolexs aspiration to go further upmarket that this watch was produced

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    On an Air King related theme, I have had this in my sights three times now but only online. I have yet to actually hold it in my hands. I fully appreciate that it would be a difficult piece to get out of if I needed to sell but I keep coming back to it none the less. Wonder if it's a worth a WTB?

https://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/JPRYB65GX3

^^ Dom Hackett has one in for sale shortly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    It’s a no from me! Just a little too unorthodox.

Journeyman
    I like it - go for it

Journeyman
    they are about, 3 of the AD's in London had them in the window this week...well worth a ring around

Journeyman
    I like the older air kings more to be honest.

Journeyman
    Didn't like it at the beginning, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. It's such an unorthodox Rolex. In some ways it's like the anti-Rolex - Since Rolex is generally such a conservative brand, for them to release something like the Air-King was brave. Definitely feels more special than the GMTs/Subs/explorer2s in my opinion.

I do wish they just made the 3, 6, 9 into 15, 30, 45 and lume it with chromalight. That would be ideal.

Master
    I struggle with the colour scheme a little. Thought it was from the Lego school of primary colours at first...

...but then realised it was inspired by the supermarkets :

For a more credible link to the dial's inspiration, Google "Rolex Air-King Bloodhound"

H

I saw Haywood Milton's name as the last poster and thought this will be a valuable, thoughtful, detailed and serious post...

and then I saw Morrisons... I assume this is an off day for Mr Milton and normal service will resume on Monday! :-)
    Last edited by prexelor; 25th January 2019 at 16:30.

Master
    It will probably be discontinued this year together with the milgauss, so get one before the hype...