closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Irish Wolfhound Owners?

Any Irish Wolfhound Owners?

We are thinking of adding one to the pack and I've done lots of research on health, diet, longevity, temperament, but would welcome views from previous/current owners. Thanks.

David

Master
    Be prepared for a lot of walking and food, they can get huge

Every classroom should have one, panting by the teacher's side.

We used to have a rescue deerhound. Very relaxed, bursts of activity mixed with long periods of indolence. Never obeyed any form of instruction. Outstanding hound...

My Dad's cousin bred them for a while. Terrible trouble with joints whilst growing. He lost pups and stopped because of it.

Temperament wise: lovely, gentle companions. There were 2 at a tourist shop near Waterville, Co. Kerry that I saw every summer on holidays as a child. Mum and Dad went into the shop.... I sat outside with the 2 hounds!

Craftsman
    Be prepared for other dogs to react strangely , barking , running round , generally the other breeds seem intimidated by the size and unsure how to react .... can be quite stressful when out and about because of other dogs reactions .
    I do not own one but know 2 locally whose owners have both encountered on a regular basis previously detailed encounters , also the breed is prob to heart issues .... congratulations for researching .... act in haste .... repent at leisure .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great dogs

We had one a few years back, great dogs. Very much a hound that did what it wanted, lazy, dopey, but comical & loyal. He was a great companion but huge and dominated the house, in a friendly way. I would echo the remarks of be wary of other dogs who tend to be terrified of them or want to have a pop, but the IW itself was never nasty to either canines or humans.

Work circumstances dictated he was not replaced when he passed on, but once my wife's cats have gone I plan to have one in my dotage.

I really like Irish Wolfhounds and Great Danes, but their short life spans put me off.

We got a greyhound- they have very gentle temperaments, low maintenance as they sleep about 20hrs plus per day and can be comfortably left alone for up to eight hours if you need. Being a very old breed that hasn’t been mucked about with they have few healthy issues and live to around 14 on average.

I recommend them if you like biggish dogs but without the drawbacks.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Thanks all.

We are still considering things at the moment...talking to owners, joining forums and researching breeders and rescue centres. We are looking at Irish Wolfhounds and Scottish Deerhounds.

David

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I really like Irish Wolfhounds and Great Danes, but their short life spans put me off.

We got a greyhound- they have very gentle temperaments, low maintenance as they sleep about 20hrs plus per day and can be comfortably left alone for up to eight hours if you need. Being a very old breed that hasn’t been mucked about with they have few healthy issues and live to around 14 on average.

I recommend them if you like biggish dogs but without the drawbacks.
    Or borzoi if OP prefers a hairy dog?