closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steinhart Watches..

Master

Steinhart Watches..

I know some folks on here have these and was wondering how the company do it for the money? Where are the corners cut? If any are? Seem remarkable value for the money. Thoughts gents?

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    A better question would be: how do other manufacturers get away with charging 10x more for similar.
    Yes in house movements, bespoke materials and precious metal details contribute to some of the price increase but the majority is marketing and ‘just because they can’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No marketing. Like, none. No F1, no tennis, no yacht races, no horse things, nothing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    A better question would be: how do other manufacturers get away with charging 10x more for similar.
    Yes in house movements, bespoke materials and precious metal details contribute to some of the price increase but the majority is marketing and ‘just because they can’.

Took the words right out of my mouth! Its quite fascinating how other, shall we say more prestigious, manufacturers charge 2,3,or even 4 times the price for a watch with exactly the same movement!

Craftsman
    I think I read Christopher Ward operate a simple mark up for 4x on what it costs them, might have changed now mind.

They are comparible quality to the Steinharts and in a similar price range so it gives you a rough idea of what a swiss made auto costs them.

Master
    V clever design copying minimises development costs.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigger brands just bend us over,and we just take it dry

It would depend entirely upon who you are comparing them with. I recall a comparison between Stowa and Steinhart marine watches, Stowa used heat blued steel hands Steinhart use chemical treated ones. Stowa dials are better made and a better print, Steinhart not so. Stowa regulate their watches to some extent I am not sure Steinhart do the same. Compare Steinhart then to say Nomos and the difference is again better parts, the huge cost of manufacture movements. Compare them then to Squale dive watches and the price difference is not so great so perhaps they source parts from the same locations? Compare them with Kennmer and Kennmer in many instances were cheaper.

Tourby watches again, the cases they use are the same used by other companies selling watches for several grand. Their dials are much better, heat blued hands, they regulate their watches in house, a lot of work is done in house such as case polishing etc.....

I dont think a comparison can be made with a multi million pound company with stores around the world and over a century of history with an online store with limited history that have mostly produced homage or similar watches.

Craftsman
    It all depends on what you want from a watch.

Want a good movement, well put together, good after sales service that looks very similar to high end brands and in many areas comparable quality to said brands at fractions of the price, then go with steinhart.

Want a recognizable brand, something original, a prestige/status symbol, a brand with genuine history that is finished quite a bit better then a steinhart probably wont scratch your itch.

Steinhart Watches..

Their watches are good quality, and in my experience very reliable and consistently accurate. Finish is good too. As to where the costs are cut, I think the bracelets while functional and decent lack finesse and finish especially the clasp compared to say Ginault for example.

Master
    I would say the cyclops and the bezel action are the worst part of any Steinhart I have owned and own at the moment. Everything else is spot on for the price and the ratio of enjoyment to spend is very high as you don't have these, sometimes unrealistic, expectations based on the amount you have just spent. You are rarely underwhelmed after buying one, for the most part, ignoring the obvious design cues that many don't like.

I haven't enjoyed a watch as much as my 39mm Pepsi GMT in many years and with the option of a Jubilee bracelet, it's a very comfortable, functional and rewarding little watch!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Bigger brands just bend us over,and we just take it dry

Made me laugh!

Didn't even notice that Steinhart don't sponsor celebs/sporting events etc, makes sense.
    I guess we all know that branding plays a big part as dies exclusivity, I mean if Ferraris were cheap then we'd all have one and they'd lose their appeal/cache.
    I'm sure there's a point of diminishing return the higher up the £ you go, and we know it's not about accuracy, any Casio etc will provide that.

I've had some high end watches, my 18ct Breguet was a peach of a watch, excellent workmanship but was it really worth the price of a family saloon? Wasn't to me I guess and it got flipped.

Think I'll grab hold of one if these Steinharts and have a look.

Thanks for the replies.

Craftsman
    Yeah I have a Steinhart ocean vintage gmt. Looks great and the quality is high. Certainly has caught a lot of people's eye. I think the car analogy is decent... I drive a skoda which is pretty much made of Volkswagen and Audi parts but most Audi drivers scoff at it but there you go.

The titanium ocean diver is a nice piece with only a flat looking dial to its detriment.

If only they'd curve the lugs a little and do more smaller sizes.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Lug to lug <= 48mm
    Height <= 13mm
    Bracelet: with glidelock

The rest is mere detail ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    The titanium ocean diver is a nice piece with only a flat looking dial to its detriment.
    Looks great but the bracelet yuk

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    they used to do 39mm (2nd image) and now have reintroduced a whole range of 39mm’s

Craftsman
    Just another rolex replica for me bit like a chinese lolex

Quote Originally Posted by scooby View Post

Another fanboy. Shouldn't you be down at 'your' AD working on that special relationship just in case the great company bring out another ceramic bezel this year. Each to their own, but if you want to wear the same watch as thousands of others - go ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Another fanboy. Shouldn't you be down at 'your' AD working on that special relationship just in case the great company bring out another ceramic bezel this year. Each to their own, but if you want to wear the same watch as thousands of others - go ahead...
    28 short posts since yesterday (and 28 in total ), after posting nothing for his 6 month initial period. Looks like another speed poster with something to sell shortly *

Which are these replicas of?

Craftsman
    Darn why didn't I think of that :)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    28 short posts since yesterday (and 28 in total ), after posting nothing for his 6 month initial period. Looks like another speed poster with something to sell shortly *

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Yeah I have a Steinhart ocean vintage gmt. Looks great and the quality is high. Certainly has caught a lot of people's eye. I think the car analogy is decent... I drive a skoda which is pretty much made of Volkswagen and Audi parts but most Audi drivers scoff at it but there you go.
    Know what you mean, I've got a superb sportline 7 speed DSG, it's awesome. The equivalent spec or performance Audi / wv / BMW / merc would cost considerably more... There's value to be had out there on any consumer product.

Craftsman
    If steinhart sold these direct I'd be interested but I don't fancy the vat and import costs

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...omon-exclusive

Craftsman
    Sorry i have nothing to sell
    Just never got round to posting before
    So you are wroooong
    Yes some pieces are different but the majority look like rolex or iwc pilots to me
    Thats my opinion

Master
    So you are wroooong
    Yes some pieces are different but the majority look like rolex or iwc pilots to me
    Thats my opinion

The majority of all watches sold look like something else. The difference is Steinhart do this while achieving a high quality threshold and a low price point. Their retention value tells you all you need to know about how highly regarded they are.

Your comparison to Chinese knock-offs reveals your lack of direct experience and devalues your opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ejtrent View Post
    I think I read Christopher Ward operate a simple mark up for 4x on what it costs them, might have changed now mind.

They are comparible quality to the Steinharts and in a similar price range so it gives you a rough idea of what a swiss made auto costs them.
    Don't agree with this. I've had several of both makes and CW is clearly of a better quality and finish. From dials to cases and bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    The majority of all watches sold look like something else. The difference is Steinhart do this while achieving a high quality threshold and a low price point. Their retention value tells you all you need to know about how highly regarded they are.

Your comparison to Chinese knock-offs reveals your lack of direct experience and devalues your opinion.
    This

So you are wroooong
    Thats my opinion

Just go into any high street watch shop and look around and tell me how many watches you see that aren't influenced by an earlier Watch or brand. In fact virtually all the divers in the world hark back to the Submariner or Fifty Fathoms. Does that mean that everything else is not worthy of consideration.

Out of interest I have owned several Submariners and a Fifty Fathoms and get just as much satisfaction out of wearing a Steinhart. I would also add that the FF knocks spots off the Sub in every respect.

Whilst trashing micro brands will win you around of applause from the fanboys, it will also make you look a bit of an uneducated fool to the rest of the forum.

As has been said, they are outstanding watches in their own right, well made, and superb value for money. This one has the acrylic lens, just after I bought it they started fitting a sapphire lens and sent me one FOC, I've never had it fitted, preferring the acrylic

Last edited by Rod; 25th January 2019 at 13:02.

Craftsman
    Actually i dont wear a rolex
    I like individual peices

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post

My comment was about that watch not the whole brand
    Indeed if you look earlier in the tread i like the titanium watch
    but not the bracelet
    Would like to se it on a strap
    Regarding lack of experience a college has a pan am gmt and its a fine looking watch

Maybe coming onto a dedicated thread and shouting Chinese lolex wasn't your finest hour.

Just saying...

Actually i dont wear a rolex
    I like individual peices

You bought a Rolex Hulk 6 yrs ago and are asking if it’s time to sell it no?

So you are wroooong
    Thats my opinion

16610 lv prices
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    As has been said, they are outstanding watches in their own right, well made, and superb value for money. This one has the acrylic lens, just after I bought it they started fitting a sapphire lens and sent me one FOC, I've never had it fitted, preferring the acrylic

That's just a beautiful watch. Period.

Craftsman
    You bought a Rolex Hulk 6 yrs ago and are asking if it’s time to sell it no?
    Yes i never wear it far too flashy

Craftsman

Dont worry it will not be sold on this forum ever

Craftsman
    Maybe coming onto a dedicated thread and shouting Chinese lolex wasn't your finest hour.

Just saying...
    Agree it was ment to be humour

So you are considering selling it, which is what I said earlier. Not wrooooong I guess eh? Unless the post you made asking if you should sell is wrong in which case I apologise.

Dont worry it will not be sold on this forum ever

Why not?

To get back to the OPs question, there is a wide range of watches available, divers, pilots, Chronos etc and existing models change over time. The company also make limited editions, but in the main these are not commercially available via their normal website. Most are small number runs made for specific FB or watch forum groups.

They do have a loyal following and many people own more than one Watch. Residuals are excellent, unlike some other brands were the first buyer takes a bath if they move their watch on.

The down side the occasional bashing from someone who says it's a copy of a Rolex that costs 20 times more and isn't available to buy anyway, so not difficult to dismiss such helpful advice

Craftsman
    So you are considering selling it, which is what I said earlier. Not wrooooong I guess eh? Unless the post you made asking if you should sell is wrong in which case I apologise.
    Never said i would sell
    It just sits there one of my girls wants it in my will
    Said to another of the girls if her boyfriend marries her he can have it
    Cheaper than funding a daughter

Never said i would sell
    It just sits there one of my girls wants it in my will
    Said to another of the girls if her boyfriend marries her he can have it
    Cheaper than funding a daughter

Now THAT sounds like a plan

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeikoFrank View Post
    That's just a beautiful watch. Period.
    Agreed. Like that a lot.

Sent from my SM-T560 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Selling direct with minimal retail outlets would also help. I would imagine a very large number of UK sales are direct from Steinhart in comparison to Chronomaster. Steinhart will also see more revenue with direct sales cutting out trade cost surely.....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post

Next on my list! I have a WTB for a MK1 if you fancy moving it on.......

You need to form an orderly queue chaps😁

Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    I know some folks on here have these and was wondering how the company do it for the money? Where are the corners cut? If any are? Seem remarkable value for the money. Thoughts gents?

Just had marine chronometer stolen-it was a great watch.
    Also used to have a Debaufre "pilot" watch-I think they are related? Also a great watch but at 47mm was too big for me.