closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The England Cricket thread 2019

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    And his concussion replacement gets one in the grid!
    Ironic

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    What's the thinking behind a concussion replacement as Steve Smith has now? And how is this any different from any other player picking up an injury, eg Anderson in the last test, and being a bowler down for the rest of the game?
    It's a more serious incident than an injury as its as a result of a missile being hurled at 85+ mph! Concussion has become a serious issue in sport in general with teams/sportsman believing they can continue when they can't. This prevents teams taking undue risk with a player. I think it's a great initiative.

Though definitely ironic with the replacement getting smacked up early on! Even if England can't get the win, there will be serious fear in the Oz camp about Archer - reminiscent to Johnson in 13/14 down under. It's phenomenal stuff really.

Craftsman
    Since the death of Philip Hughes, you'd think every batsmen would wear the side neck pads, it hit Smith in roughly the same spot and initially looked really serious.
    Wicked delivery.
    Glad we got someone who can do that at last, we've had to face enough of it off opposition teams over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    It's a more serious incident than an injury as its as a result of a missile being hurled at 85+ mph! Concussion has become a serious issue in sport in general with teams/sportsman believing they can continue when they can't. This prevents teams taking undue risk with a player. I think it's a great initiative.

Though definitely ironic with the replacement getting smacked up early on! Even if England can't get the win, there will be serious fear in the Oz camp about Archer - reminiscent to Johnson in 13/14 down under. It's phenomenal stuff really.
    It comes as a change for this speed to be on our side, when I watched the Windies team thrash us and the world repeatedly in the '80s. They might has well have been bowling grenades.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Since the death of Philip Hughes, you'd think every batsmen would wear the side neck pads, it hit Smith in roughly the same spot and initially looked really serious.
    Wicked delivery.
    Glad we got someone who can do that at last, we've had to face enough of it off opposition teams over the years.
    It's not just the pads - it's also the rules on concussion. The useless ICC have no standardisation and so each Country have their own rules which is outrageous. The Australian rule is pathetic. You check them twice a day and see how it goes, whereas most normal rules in other sports and the ICC say you're as a minimum out for 6-8 days before you can start getting back into the sport. Surely that is going to put pressure on the doctors? Smith should not play as a minimum in Leeds, that would be wrong and make a mockery of concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    It comes as a change for this speed to be on our side, when I watched the Windies team thrash us and the world repeatedly in the '80s. They might has well have been bowling grenades.
    The Windies in the 70/80s had 3-4 'Archers' in the same teams - players have forgotten how to play a bouncer it seems. I would never have thought that an Australian team could be bounced out. Remarkable.

The thing about Archer which I think is incredible is his action, you cannot tell whats coming out of the hand and you read the length of the delivery far too late. He really has one of the best actions and run ups I have ever seen - it's not that long, so languid and fluid and looks effortless.

Headingley will be a rocking Test match!

Craftsman
    One or if not the fastest bowler I have ever seen is former Pakistan paceman shoaib Akhtar. His run up was not that far off the boundary and he would come in at 90+ but this guy archer is phenomenal. He takes a third of that run up but still gets the same speed. I presume batman don't expect that sort of pace from a short run up. Really hope we get them at headingley.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I'd warn about putting too much pressure on Archer - judging by the hyperbole you'd think England had uncovered a new Curtley Ambrose! Archer is promising but he's no Bumrah (yet at least).

I was sickened to hear to booing for Smith when he got hit by that bouncer - hopefully the rumours that the MCC are banning the perpetrators for life are true.

I was travelling for the past day and a half but by all accounts the Lords test was a belter- shame the weather took 2 days away. All to play for.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Do you think England would have won had their been full 5 days of cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post

I think given the way the match panned out then yes they probably would have. I think if we'd got another session we would have won

Not much talk about David Warner. Not prospering with the bat in this series!
    Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Short Man Syndrome, personified.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'd warn about putting too much pressure on Archer - judging by the hyperbole you'd think England had uncovered a new Curtley Ambrose! Archer is promising but he's no Bumrah (yet at least).

I was sickened to hear to booing for Smith when he got hit by that bouncer - hopefully the rumours that the MCC are banning the perpetrators for life are true.

I was travelling for the past day and a half but by all accounts the Lords test was a belter- shame the weather took 2 days away. All to play for.

I disagree with not hyping up Archer - the guy already played his part in us winning the World Cup and his Test debut was one of the most significant debuts for England in the last 15 years if not longer. His impact was even greater than KP's debut back in 2005 Ashes (that was a loss).

Smith and Archer are playing on a different level to everyone else - they're the ones who will decide this series. The likes if Cummins, Broad, Stokes and Burns are playing under those two with Root is horribly out of touch. As for the boos, yes wrong after getting hit, but Smith and Warner know that is their lot now after their actions. We're too nice at times, with people even deriding the aggressive bowling, but I assure you that Australia would be loving it if they had an Archer - in fact they did when Johnson bounced out England Down Under.

Root if anything needs to underplay Archer and not burn him out. He is that good.

Not much talk about David Warner. Not prospering with the bat in this series!
    Ha, he's not the only one struggling but England well and truly have his number at the moment!

There's talk about Smith not playing on Thursday, but I bet he will.

Smith is a one man team and without him Australia look pretty ordinary.

Can't rely on Warner can they?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

England would have won if they hadn’t lost the 10 overs from the beginning of Sunday.

During the last couple of overs last night, they had 9 close in fielders around the bat. Only Broad and Leach (the bowler!) weren’t there. It makes for a remarkable photograph.

Last edited by Bravo73; 19th August 2019 at 20:54.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    England would have won if they hadn’t lost the 10 overs from the beginning of Sunday.

During the last couple of overs last night, they had 9 close in fielders around the bat. Only Broad and Leach (the bowler!) weren’t there. It makes for a remarkable photograph.
    Unfortunately I didn't get to watch it as I was working.

England need to up their game and really need to be positive from the onslaught.

I felt a sense of negativity from England in the first test considering they had just won the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post

Brilliant pic! We lost because Roy dropped Head ;)

So Smith is out of the next test.

Craftsman
    No excuses for England now........

He's worth a hundred runs in each match.

If we can't beat them now.......
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Good, glad common sense has prevailed and a mockery of the concussion rules has not occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    He's worth a hundred runs in each match.

If we can't beat them now.......
    He's actually worth 40% of their runs. Significant. But we have such a fragile batting line up; if Starc is chosen and gets in form, he could blow us away.

Good, glad common sense has prevailed and a mockery of the concussion rules has not occurred.

He's actually worth 40% of their runs. Significant. But we have such a fragile batting line up; if Starc is chosen and gets in form, he could blow us away.
    As can Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Archer to the Bogans without the cheating Smith.

Wasn’t that long ago they were all out for 60

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_JolrQC5mE

As can Anderson, Broad, Woakes and Archer to the Bogans without the cheating Smith.

Wasn’t that long ago they were all out for 60

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_JolrQC5mE
    Oh absolutely - no denying that at all. But 100 could very much play 100 in the first innings. If either top order fires a little bit in the first innings they'll take control of the next Test. Low scoring game most likely.

I should also note a fear - our fast bowler pickings are getting slim - no Anderson for next Test (possibly 4th), Wood and Stone out for the season too.

Root's captaincy will come under scrutiny - I know Woakes didn't bowl that well, but only 3 overs is too few. He has to rotate and have a plan better to not burn out Archer and Broad.

Craftsman
    Root if anything needs to underplay Archer and not burn him out. He is that good.
    I agree, he's got to let him mature physically and mentally for the 5 day game, it's very different to limited overs cricket.

Absolutely disgusting batting performance by England. Only Root has had a good ball. This team is a clueless batting unit. Roy has to either drop to 5 or 6 or be dropped totally. He is completely pointless in this team. Root needs to bat at 4, not 3 - best batsman needs some protection,

And what Stokes was thinking I have absolutely no idea in chasing a ball so wide he had to fully stretch. Madness.

Oh to add - Root is a terrible captain, he doesn't have a natural feel for the job. He got lucky yesterday with Sir Jofra putting in an epic spell because he should have been protecting the stem of runs rather than continuously attacking when Warner was in full flow and Woakes and Stokes were bowling rubbish.
    Last edited by crazyp; 23rd August 2019 at 12:28.

Craftsman
    Absolutely abysmal.........what is bloody wrong with England!!!!!!

Jaysus. Just turned it on now. 179 by the Aussies looks like an epic score now!

Craftsman
    I actually feel sorry for archer. It seems like without him England are a nobody.

A new low...

Grand Master
    this is atrocious! watch the aussies get 300 in the second inning
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    At least our best opener is in. Leach should carry us over the line.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

67 all out. Wow. Incredible bowling mind, but only a few were genuinely out to jaffas.

I still pin this on Root's captaincy - his inability to stem the runs in that period yesterday is the key difference. Should have gone defensive to apply the pressure. England to lose this now however.

can’t make my mind up if both teams are actually just very poor? this would suggest that all test teams have gone downhill over the last decade the australian team at their greatest would have torn both a new arsehole if they were playing now.

we could bowl them out for something similar?!?

Blog Entries
    Time to say bye bye to the little urn.....again.

Humiliation isn't a big enough term. I watched for a couple of hours yesterday and didn't see any fire. Root isn't the man any longer. He can't play, or be a captain.

Master
    they seem to be loosing their "bottle"

like rabbits in the headlights

but they always do this (to us) don't they

and to think I'm paying for Sky Go to watch this stuff here in France

(lets blame, the pitch, the ball, the light, the Umpires, next door dog, or something)

Craftsman
    I am fuming to say the least....... I feel for archer. He gives his all and then has to watch the others capitulate without any defence.

Craftsman
    This match has been embarrassing, certainly one of the worst performances I've ever seen, and to think Smith wasn't playing, so they actually stood a chance.

Master
    I just wonder what Eoin Morgan thinks about this performance

This is Root's eighth Test against Australia. He has yet to win one. Psychologically this takes its toll. Needs to go back to being a batsman and we need to stop picking our best players as captain despite not having the right qualities.

Master
    If they win all win be forgotten

"England bat deep!!"
    Last edited by BillN; 23rd August 2019 at 15:47.

I am fuming to say the least....... I feel for archer. He gives his all and then has to watch the others capitulate without any defence.

I was thinking the same. Broad and Archer flogged themselves at the end of the 2nd test to try to get us over the line and then 4 days later they are both at it again, bowling superbly too - Broad to lefties is just about unplayable when he's pitching it up a bit and Jofra apears to be super smart in adapting his bowling to suit the conditions and situation.

And then there's the batsmen... I've long been of the opinion that the best batsmen can play all formats, because they are the best batsmen - Buttler, Roy etc should all be in the test side because they are supremely skillful with the bat. However, they need something to work with and Burns aside, who has looked decent, no-one else seems to be able to see the shine off the ball, let alone stick around long enough to do some damage. The one day success has been built on Roy and Bairstow/Hales getting the side to 80+ for 0 inside 10 overs and that allows the rest the freedom to play. I think Roy could have a future as an opener (it took him time in one-day cricket), but the evidence and confidence is draining at the moment.

This really is 2 average teams, only one of them is a bit more average than the other at the moment!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Not a cricket follower really, but are you suggesting if the bowler is unable to hit the stumps or pads etc, he should just injure the batsmen? Why not try a baseball style pitcher then?
    Not concerned about which team is the culprit btw.

I still pin this on Root's captaincy
    Indeed. He is no Leader. He'll do his usual 'fluffy' post match interview, not forgetting to tell everyone what a tough couple of years Stokes has had.

Blog Entries
    OK, so who takes over the captaincy?

OK, so who takes over the captaincy?
    Stokes, or for a short term solution Broad. Both have better cricket brains than Root and more charisma too. Broad made it no secret about his desire to be captain before Root got it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I was thinking the same. Broad and Archer flogged themselves at the end of the 2nd test to try to get us over the line and then 4 days later they are both at it again, bowling superbly too - Broad to lefties is just about unplayable when he's pitching it up a bit and Jofra apears to be super smart in adapting his bowling to suit the conditions and situation.

And then there's the batsmen... I've long been of the opinion that the best batsmen can play all formats, because they are the best batsmen - Buttler, Roy etc should all be in the test side because they are supremely skillful with the bat. However, they need something to work with and Burns aside, who has looked decent, no-one else seems to be able to see the shine off the ball, let alone stick around long enough to do some damage. The one day success has been built on Roy and Bairstow/Hales getting the side to 80+ for 0 inside 10 overs and that allows the rest the freedom to play. I think Roy could have a future as an opener (it took him time in one-day cricket), but the evidence and confidence is draining at the moment.

This really is 2 average teams, only one of them is a bit more average than the other at the moment!
    It's soul destroying as a fan to think we can't even put up a fight with the bat at this level after all the hard work done by bowlers and fielders. Your final sentence is spot on but, I do not think Roy is a test match batsmen and if he is, he should be further down the order then. I just do not understand the thought process of these batsmen after all the advice and support that they get. It's not easy but if you've got a day or two to bat, then just take your time. It almost seems as if one day cricket mentality has taken over and the skills needed for test cricket are in decline.

Blog Entries
    Stokes, or for a short term solution Broad. Both have better cricket brains than Root and more charisma too. Broad made it no secret about his desire to be captain before Root got it.
    I definitely would not go Stokes, why interfere when he's playing so well. Let him just get on with what he's doing. Broad yes agree however does he even keep his place once Jimmy is fit? Root needs to hand it over though, concentrate back on his batting.

Master
    so how many will England get in their second innings

over 200 - maybe 230

Labuschagne has been a good replacement for Smith
    Last edited by BillN; 24th August 2019 at 12:00.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    so how many will England get in their second innings

over 200 - maybe 230

Labuschagne has been a good replacement for Smith
    It's only day 3. The pitch still looks decent and its a nice day. At Headingley that means quick scoring.

So probably all out for under 150.

I definitely would not go Stokes, why interfere when he's playing so well. Let him just get on with what he's doing. Broad yes agree however does he even keep his place once Jimmy is fit? Root needs to hand it over though, concentrate back on his batting.
    I'm starting to think you almost need an 'ok' player who has real leadership quality to be effectively a dedicated captain. Morgan is a good batsman, but nowhere near the best but captain material. Heck, even Paine has captained superbly - got his bowlers and tactics right as well as the field placements.