closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The England Cricket thread 2019

There today with the kids on the pitch at lunch

^^^Fantastic Andy!!!! What a great day and hope you have a good one.

I must correct about the names and numbers - they only come in when the 'Test Championship' starts, that commences on the first Ashes Test.

Roy out, but it was a very good ball. It will happen as an opener and I think it may happen a lot this summer. Expect Root at number 4 to be in within 15 overs more often than not.

Uh oh - disaster, 42-4!!!!

I don't like Burns, poor footwork and not playing with a straight bat. And Ali in at 6 - we have a long tail and could be out for 120 odd at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    There today with the kids on the pitch at lunch
    Excellent. I'm a big fan of All Stars. The training has possibly been a bit simplistic for my boy at times, but we've had some wonderful experiences with it. It is really growing some excitement in the young boys and girls starting out.

Got to play on the outfield (and watch him smash a couple into the stands) at Trent Bridge during the record breaking ODI against the Aussies.
    Do a Q&A and meet Moeen Ali and Rashid the day before the first India test at Edgbaston (and then both of us stood effectively at first slip behind Anderson and Broad bowling in the nets - frightening)
    Play on the outfield again at Trent Bridge just before the World Cup at the Pakistan ODI (again he tonked a couple in to the stands and got a small cheer from the crowd - made his day!)
    Also got to watch the ladies England team play at Derbyshire for free.

Full credit to the ECB - they're putting a lot of effort into All Stars, I hope it pays off and we continue to grow great cricketers for the future...

Looking forward to The Ashes.

I had an Australian neighbour round last night. I know he has been avoiding me!!

Fortunately, although an Aussie he is a West Ham supporter too, so a pretty decent chap.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Looking forward to The Ashes.

I had an Australian neighbour round last night. I know he has been avoiding me!!

Fortunately, although an Aussie he is a West Ham supporter too, so a pretty decent chap.
    We're currently 58-7....against Ireland! You sure about that!?!?!

It seems as if England are horrified that the ball is moving. This is what happens in red ball cricket, the ball is allowed and will move. Zero footwork, no straight bat and not playing late. Terrible. But alas this is the result of a white ball mentality. And a reason why smaller Test teams now have a chance and why they must be given more opportunity in Test match play.

85 all out, before lunch at Lords against Ireland after we WON the toss and decided to bat. Words fail me.

Master
    Not the best start......

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Blog Entries
    Surely Tim Murtagh must have some English ancestry if you looked hard enough?........just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Surely Tim Murtagh must have some English ancestry if you looked hard enough?........just saying.
    He does, listen to his accent ;)

At the end of the innings speaking to Nasser, he makes a comment saying he dreamt of being on the honours board albeit for the home team. Fine bowling, but this is his home ground (he represents Middlesex) and he really doesn't have the pace to challenge the best consistently (75-80mph max).

Just a note, Ireland have surpassed England's mighty total for the loss of just 2 wickets....

Both England and the Crims seem to be trying to out-psyche each other by giving convincing impressions of being absolutely hopeless in their warm-up matches, so England already have an advantage after yesterday.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Both England and the Crims seem to be trying to out-psyche each other by giving convincing impressions of being absolutely hopeless in their warm-up matches, so England already have an advantage after yesterday.
    You're not wrong there!

Abysmal display.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Leach doing his best to actually play Test cricket at least.

Burns looks hopeless sadly, no straight bat and doesn't know where his off stump is. Perfect day to rack up a good personal score as well.

Leach will find himself opening next week if he carries on like this!

He's scored 45 first-class runs so far this season, at an average of 4!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Operation papering over the cracks well under way as England are blowing away Ireland. 182 seems a loooong way when you are 32-7. Very good fast bowling by Woakes and Broad. Fantastic stuff.

Master
    Decorating well and truly completed. Will the quality workmanship last a week?

Fabulous display of bowling from Broad and Woakes which may give the Aussies something to think about. Just need the batsmen to get into test mentality.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Decorating well and truly completed. Will the quality workmanship last a week?

Fabulous display of bowling from Broad and Woakes which may give the Aussies something to think about. Just need the batsmen to get into test mentality.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Steve Smith seems to be the only one who knows how to bat across the two teams under any condition and keeps his wicket properly.

If we're as shambolic as this, he'll be the difference.

Master
    He could well be. The Aussies have given themselves plenty of batsmen to choose from in their squad which hints that they aren't sure about their top order.

Perhaps we should try Stokes at three.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

The Ashes kick off tomorrow!!!!!

The team has been announced as well - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...rst-ashes-test

Pretty much as expected. I did not think Archer would play - clearly best to hold him back and ensure he's fully recovered from his side strain. Root will be batting at three which is great, but it brings in the question of what is the point of Denly if he's batting at 4? Poor Denly so misunderstood, I hope he has a good Test match or he is most certainly in danger of the chop! I like Bairstow at 7, for Tests it's his best position to do most damage.

But as most critics have indicated, this will be a wild bowlers series. Strap in folks.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The Ashes kick off tomorrow!!!!!

The team has been announced as well - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...rst-ashes-test

Pretty much as expected. I did not think Archer would play - clearly best to hold him back and ensure he's fully recovered from his side strain. Root will be batting at three which is great, but it brings in the question of what is the point of Denly if he's batting at 4? Poor Denly so misunderstood, I hope he has a good Test match or he is most certainly in danger of the chop! I like Bairstow at 7, for Tests it's his best position to do most damage.

But as most critics have indicated, this will be a wild bowlers series. Strap in folks.
    You obviously haven't listened to Rob Key. Joe Denly is the greatest batsman ever in the history of the game, and the saviour of English cricket.

You obviously haven't listened to Rob Key. Joe Denly is the greatest batsman ever in the history of the game, and the saviour of English cricket.
    Well I reckon Denly's got one, maybe two Tests to live up to Rob Key's undisputed analysis. Otherwise he's out. Maybe worth getting asking Sky to get rid of Key as commentator while they're on their current firing streak #GoodbyeGower - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...-ashes-cricket

Master
    Here we go again. Feeling excited already. I'm glad that Archer isn't playing, as you say it's not worth aggravating the injury and Broad, Woakes and Anderson know Edgbaston like the back of the hand. Anyway, we might need Archer to bowl the last over of the fifth test with the series level and the Aussies nine down needing five to win.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

This is it. Ashes cricket is about more than sport.

As Ian Botham said back in his day the two teams did actually hate each other. In these days of franchised white-ball cricket they often play alongside each other in lesser, more financially-driven versions of the game, but this is about more than that.

First over, and Jimmy is making it talk...

17 - 2.

Broad has 2-13, and the slimy, cheating former Captain slinks to the middle, accompanied by a chorus of booing...

End of session 1 and with the shine off the ball, it looks a pretty flat pitch. Good grinding by Smith and Head. If they stay focussed they could do some serious damage. As ever with our attack, seems a bit of one-paced when it's not swinging or seaming. Honours even, but ominous.

Well, at 112-6 I would say that it's been England's day so far

Well, at 112-6 I would say that it's been England's day so far
    Fantastic bowling - and with Anderson who is off injured. With hindsight he was clearly not fit enough for this Test. Strategy for Smith is clear - get everyone else out instead!

Smith and Siddle have done an astonishing job in the circumstances, and caused England some inconvenience, but now we're down to the last wicket, and Nathan Lyon won't hang around for too long, surely?

I was out this afternoon, but listening to TMS in the car, and the view seems to be that although 200+ is a psychological boost for Australia, they've been poor with the bat today.

Not as poor as the umpires, though. There have been some shocking decisions, leading to reviews, and time wasting. Aleem Dar can be inconsistent at times, but generally reliable, but he hasn't exactly enhanced his reputation today, while Joel Wilson is only officiating in his 14th Test, but really should be better.

All we have to do is work out how to get rid of Steve Smith.

Master
    Disappointing to hear people booing Steve Smith’s century, not really cricket as they say.

Sure he did wrong, but he’s served his time, and everybody needs to move on.

Besides which, I think being the pantomime villain suits him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Disappointing to hear people booing Steve Smith’s century, not really cricket as they say.

Smith, Warner and Bancroft all knew what they were doing, and deserve what they get. The Australians, and Warner in particular don't hold back when it comes to sledging. I can't remember which series it was, but Warner was shouting obscenities and the names of companies who were direct competitors to the series sponsors in an effort to get the sensitivity of the stump microphones turned down so that he and his team-mates could get stuck into the batsmen with some properly obscene sledging.

Justin Langer has repeatedly warned the players that they will get a hard time from the crowds, and the Barmy Army in particular. Given the fact that they used sandpaper to tamper with the ball, they should have been banned for life. As it was, they got off lightly, and are back playing.

But there are no rules to prevent the crowd from giving them a hard time:

https://www.crictracker.com/barmy-ar...r-with-a-song/

Those of a sensitive disposition should probably not click on the above link.

Master
    Don’t get me started on the ‘Barmy Army’...

284 is disappointing, but it looks a bit thin without Smith's innings.

Game on, then!

Master
    284 is disappointing, but it looks a bit thin without Smith's innings.

Game on, then!
    I agree, feels like 100 too many...

Still, let’s not judge until both sides have had a bat!

I do worry that we can out collapse Australia no problem at all.

Master
    That is always the worry.

First hour this morning will be interesting indeed. On way to the ground cannot wait!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The England Cricket thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

I reckon he got off pretty light, in my day when I played (1970's) he'd have have been slaughtered. Allan lamb would have reduced him to tears! Once a cheat always a cheat IMHO, I play with a few golfers like him...that always seem to find their ball in the rough!
    Last edited by wildheart; 2nd August 2019 at 11:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    That is always the worry.

First hour this morning will be interesting indeed. On way to the ground cannot wait!

Enjoy should be a cracking day!

On a related note - I went to Lords yesterday to watch Middlesex vs Kent in the T20 Blast. My first ever pro T20 match incidentally and pretty close to full. The overall experience left me in despair - the sole purpose for probably 75-80% of the attendees was to drink and eat as much as they could with very little regard for the match. I'd say at least 30% of attendees were new to cricket (great!) but most were just along for the ride because of the boozing. Heck you'd never have realised that Middlesex were the home team!

Pretty sad state of affairs - there was a survey done earlier in the year which highlighted that cricket (especially T20) has a drinking problem. I fully concur. This needs to be changed up IMO - the England ODI team have been a shining example (compared to say the 2005 Ashes team...) and there may need to be some more rules on drinking.

Rant over. Back to the match.....Roy had such a calming affect on the ODI team, if he settles in and puts a decent score we should do ok. Usually day 2 in most Test matches are the best batting days, we have to see the day out. We need a good score as batting last will be tricky if the pitch starts to break up.

Master
    Agree with all of what you say crazyp.

Indeed cricket probably does have a drink culture. How my head is feeling right now. It does!

Was a great day for England. We surely cannot lose this test now. Being at Edgbaston we need to take advantage and win it. A draw would be a big negative. Some weather around so let's see what happens.

Things rapidly moving on mid morning of Day 3 - moving day indeed. I was concerned with our scoring rate yesterday as the pitch is for sure changing and we currently are for 8 with a lead of only 16. We have struggled to post scores of 400 and we are unlikely to do it here. Pitch is deteriorating, we need to hang in there for as long as possible for the last two wickets.

Well THAT was crushing - 251 margin of defeat despite a first innings lead. I won't blame batting too much - batting on Day 5 is so so tough. Our bowling however was toothless for most of their second innings. Now we'll question on who to chop and change. Knowing England, don't like tinkering don't expect much, but my views are as follows -

1. xxxxx - no idea who should be opening.
    2. Burns - played well and got out to a pretty good ball in second innings
    3. Root - must concentrate more. I do not think he should be captain though. We need a stronger leader.
    4. Denly - I don't rate him at all. Had chanced, but think he'll stay
    5. Roy - needs to learn a bit of Test cricket. Best he starts down here and then move him up. He is a long term solution to opening in my mind, just not quite ready.
    6. Stokes - think he should come in higher than Jos
    7. Buttler - as wicketkeeper too, drop Bairstow and let him go make some runs.
    8. Leach - I don' think he's good enough to be honest, but Ali needs some time out of the game. The poor guy is emotionally shot.
    9. Woakes - why on did he bowl so few in the second inning I have no idea.
    10. Broad - I don't think he does well with long spells, however he is still rather effective.
    11. Archer - going to rely a lot on this guy. Hope his body holds up.

I'd like to sneak Sam Curran in for some left arm variation, but who do you leave out? And if Broad is ineffective again then bring Stone in and use the series to start transitioning away from Broad/Anderson (I fear we won't see him this series due to injury....)

Series not over, but we cannot keep losing key passages on the game - same happened in Australia in the last series and that did not end well. We need more effectiveness when pitches offer nothing and there is no swing.

The one moment I had to turn it on and Root was out in a single minute after. I turned it off again. England seem to - and this is based on 45 years of being an armchair cricketer - have always been great at giving in when the going gets tough.

Archer to give Smith some 90+mph chin music at Lord's.

We tried almost everything else.

Well THAT was crushing - 251 margin of defeat despite a first innings lead. I won't blame batting too much - batting on Day 5 is so so tough. Our bowling however was toothless for most of their second innings. Now we'll question on who to chop and change. Knowing England, don't like tinkering don't expect much, but my views are as follows -

1. xxxxx - no idea who should be opening.
    2. Burns - played well and got out to a pretty good ball in second innings
    3. Root - must concentrate more. I do not think he should be captain though. We need a stronger leader.
    4. Denly - I don't rate him at all. Had chanced, but think he'll stay
    5. Roy - needs to learn a bit of Test cricket. Best he starts down here and then move him up. He is a long term solution to opening in my mind, just not quite ready.
    6. Stokes - think he should come in higher than Jos
    7. Buttler - as wicketkeeper too, drop Bairstow and let him go make some runs.
    8. Leach - I don' think he's good enough to be honest, but Ali needs some time out of the game. The poor guy is emotionally shot.
    9. Woakes - why on did he bowl so few in the second inning I have no idea.
    10. Broad - I don't think he does well with long spells, however he is still rather effective.
    11. Archer - going to rely a lot on this guy. Hope his body holds up.

I'd like to sneak Sam Curran in for some left arm variation, but who do you leave out? And if Broad is ineffective again then bring Stone in and use the series to start transitioning away from Broad/Anderson (I fear we won't see him this series due to injury....)

Series not over, but we cannot keep losing key passages on the game - same happened in Australia in the last series and that did not end well. We need more effectiveness when pitches offer nothing and there is no swing.
    I think given where we are at this is probably the best shot - although I might keep Roy at the top and let him learn on the job. Batting for England is tough right now as I'm not seeing much beyond the current options - as much as I think Vince looks every bit the test international, he hasn't been able to make the big score he's needed to really kick on.

Bowling wise I think with Wood, Archer, Stone and Curran waiting in the wings there's a lot of options and I agree, maybe it's time for Wood and Archer assuming fit) to take the mantle from Broad and Anderson, albeint Broady looked good in the first innings when pitching the ball up.

Archer to give Smith some 90+mph chin music at Lord's.

We tried almost everything else.
    My only thought apart from Archer, spin. I know Smith is a good player of spin, but I think right arm wrist spin is the best way to consistently challenge the edge of the bat. On that basis I'd gamble a spot for Rashid purely for that - BUT it seems he's injured so rules that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I think given where we are at this is probably the best shot - although I might keep Roy at the top and let him learn on the job. Batting for England is tough right now as I'm not seeing much beyond the current options - as much as I think Vince looks every bit the test international, he hasn't been able to make the big score he's needed to really kick on.

Bowling wise I think with Wood, Archer, Stone and Curran waiting in the wings there's a lot of options and I agree, maybe it's time for Wood and Archer assuming fit) to take the mantle from Broad and Anderson, albeint Broady looked good in the first innings when pitching the ball up.

Wood is ruled out for the rest of the season after under going surgery. Vince is better than Denly (who is a waste of space in this team) - though can we go back to him? The most frustrating talent. Got the shots and defence, just can't resist a heave outside off stump.

But not sure who else we have good enough for international level.

Wood is ruled out for the rest of the season after under going surgery. Vince is better than Denly (who is a waste of space in this team) - though can we go back to him? The most frustrating talent. Got the shots and defence, just can't resist a heave outside off stump.

But not sure who else we have good enough for international level.

Ah, I hand't seen that Wood is ruled out (again) :(

Hoping that Hameed comes back to form this season, as he looked every inch the opener for the next 15 years before he broke his thumb.

Jesus, this Archer is unreal - getting faster in his 27th over hitting 96mph and absolutely clattering Smith. Smith now off due to concussion. What a battle.

Archer has been superb today. He was on the receiving end of some short stuff when he batted, so nobody can complain if he gives some back.

Archer has been superb today. He was on the receiving end of some short stuff when he batted, so nobody can complain if he gives some back.
    Absolutely, and a chink in the Smith armour has appeared - the hit on the forearm was another cruncher.

That smith blow was nasty. But was his own doing he chose not to wear the helmet with the more protection. No doubt with the blow to the neck and the blows on the arm he will be sore tomorrow yet you bet he will be ready to rip us a new one if he gets chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    What's the thinking behind a concussion replacement as Steve Smith has now? And how is this any different from any other player picking up an injury, eg Anderson in the last test, and being a bowler down for the rest of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    What's the thinking behind a concussion replacement as Steve Smith has now? And how is this any different from any other player picking up an injury, eg Anderson in the last test, and being a bowler down for the rest of the game?
    And his concussion replacement gets one in the grid!