closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The England Cricket thread 2019

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Well...that was entertaining.
    418 and Roy isn’t even playing. Astonishing from Buttler, only out there for 77 balls. Lost for words on this batting lineup. Remarkable.

Very cagey innings from England.......

Master
    Looks like the Windies are being similarly restrained.....

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    Gayle playing very conservatively. Might be a close game.

Craftsman
    What a finish!

Master
    Had to turn the radio off with ten overs to go as the wife wanted us to watch a film.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Master
    Yep great finish and what keeps me interested in the game. So unpredictable!

Jos Buttler is a phenomenon. He went from 51 to 100 in 15 balls (if my memory is correct, he took 45 balls to score his first 50) and then to 150 off 77 balls.

So that's 51 to 150 in 32 balls. Although the BBC say that it was 31.

I'm looking forward to the World Cup.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Five overs in and the Windies required run rate is 1.53.

Oh well...might it rain?

PS I've no idea what the rules are if the match were to be rained off.

Ye gods. You just can't trust them. I didn't know the game was on today and now it's finished and lost and in the most humiliating fashion.

Five overs in and the Windies required run rate is 1.53.

Oh well...might it rain?

PS I've no idea what the rules are if the match were to be rained off.
    DLS would apply. And we would still have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Ye gods. You just can't trust them. I didn't know the game was on today and now it's finished and lost and in the most humiliating fashion.
    I'm hoping that they're "managing expectations" ahead of the World Cup.

Does anybody else think that the wickets prepared for the ODI's looked rather better than those served up for the Test series? They certainly seemed to behave differently.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

Does anybody else think that the wickets prepared for the ODI's looked rather better than those served up for the Test series? They certainly seemed to behave differently.
    Always difficult to tell in ODIs - only a day for it to last. But it gave me pause for thought about England's performances in ODI and the type of wickets we do well on. I'm sorry to say it - but England are flat track bullies. Once in a groove, when wickets change up to slightly bouncier or slower conditions we get totally bamboozled.

The ICC are in charge of the wicket preps for the World Cup - if they all remain flatish we'll do ok, but if like in the Champions Trophy we end up with a slower track in the semi finals or finals (which can easily happen), we will not win due to our lack of adaptability.

I had to look that up...Duckworth–Lewis–Stern method and ICC video...but I won't be trying to memorise how it works.

I had to look that up...Duckworth–Lewis–Stern method and ICC video...but I won't be trying to memorise how it works.
    Only three people understand how the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern method works.

When did Stern get involved?

I’ve only ever heard of it as DL. eg http://www.dlmethod.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    When did Stern get involved?

I’ve only ever heard of it as DL. eg http://www.dlmethod.co.uk

November 2014 when the other two retired...according to wiki:

To quote www.cricbuzz.com:

As this tour ticks over into three months, just three T20 internationals await before the visitors can finally go home after what has been a mixed and, ultimately, disappointing start to 2019. A 2-1 Test defeat, a 2-2 ODI draw. This T20I series, previously regarded as an afterthought, is now one they cannot lose, for ego's sake.

We'll just have to see...

November 2014 when the other two retired...according to wiki:
    Make that 2013...link...with a connection beforehand.

A bit of a bonkers T20, comfortable win and only one more to go before this revealing tour ends.

On another note - Ramprakash has been dropped as batting coach. It was required. I wonder who will be taking the role instead.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A bit of a bonkers T20, comfortable win and only one more to go before this revealing tour ends.

On another note - Ramprakash has been dropped as batting coach. It was required. I wonder who will be taking the role instead.
    Bonkers indeed..."the second lowest total ever in T20I's. And the lowest for a Test player nation. It has been an absolute catastrophe for them."

I'm dragging up this thread from the pits because England's World Cup squad is to be announced tomorrow! As ever some controversy around it with the potential of Jofra Archer taking one of those precious 15 spots.

Now this lad looks good and patiently been waiting to make his England debut. Some players seem a bit sour about the prospect of a newbie muscling their way in. Here is a good summary here - http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...vals-feel-heat

Naturally the ones who are feeling the heat and a bit anti Archer are the fast bowlers who frankly have not been that great in ODIs and bemoaning about team spirit built up over the years and taking the team to number 1 in the world. Sorry lads - this is competitive sport, I think the gamble of a spot is definitely worth it - even if he cannot reliably bowl 10 overs, if he bowls an outstanding 8 over spell that would be more than enough. I say good luck to the boy, he's waited long enough!

Craftsman
    Add in the fact he's an excellent fielder and destructive batsman and what's not to like?

They will pick him, he has to be worth the risk and gives another Dimension. But who will they drop Willey, Curren or Plunket

He's not been picked in the provisional squad, but is selected for the games against Pakistan and Ireland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47959217

And the provisional squad is pretty much meaningless as it can all be changed up to 23 May. I think they did it this way to 'keep the peace' in the current squad. I just see it as a way to appease some players who are not performing or afraid to compete against Archer. No one has the right to a place and to be 'comfortable'.

Master
    For me this has too many similarities to the Sam Burgess - Rugby World Cup 2015 palava with the added pressure of being the favourites at the moment. I was hoping that it would be handled a bit better but it is being hyped up in the press (they love to get their teeth into a story like this) asking questions to which awkward and potentially regrettable answers are given. All this attention unsettles the team which isn't the best thing in the run up to the WC.

It's an impossible position for the selectors, damned if they do and damned if they don't. Although it may be an easy decision to make, contenders have started dropping like flies. I look forward to seeing what he can do in the warm up matches.

And what has Hales been up to now FFS?

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    And what has Hales been up to now FFS?
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ional-drug-use

Well as we put Hales behind us, the golden summer of cricket has arrived! Bowling out Ireland for under 200 it should have been an easy enough chase - but alas 3 wickets down! Vince gets a start and gets out (again) and we lose Morgan and Root too. Good for the team to be kept on their toes....

Edit: for 5 now. Get the bad results out of the way early, right?
    Last edited by crazyp; 3rd May 2019 at 17:39.

Master
    Well we managed to get over the line. In some ways I am reassured that, with the strength in depth we have, there is someone there to get the runs. On the other hand it would have good for someone in the upper order to get a score.

I hope they take away the lessons from today and iron out the wrinkles.

Pakistan should be interesting.

Well chaps, England's warm ups are in the bag and we now look forward to the World Cup!

Overall some pretty good games against Pakistan, rather high scoring games as well with some rather flat pitches. This is very much the expectation for the World Cup, so expect in most games 320-350 as being par (and for teams to be taking the pace off the ball).

The final 15 man squad is now out as well https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48347499

Archer is in, Willey out the main things. Vince takes Hales place (once again Vince was damn frustrating in the warm up games) and lastly Dawson is in over Denly which I think is imminently sensible. If Ali or Rashid get injured we need a front line spinner who can fill in, not a part timer. Overall I think our best possible squad (minus Hales).

I'm getting excited!

Me too, we certainly have a chance. Did think they would take Willey and not bother with Dawson, as if someone is injured they can replace that player.

Being left arm offers another option. Very tough on him too, but he has really set his stall out swinging the ball early and I think Archer and Woakes will get that job.

Exciting indeed

Looking forward to it, some good individual performances against Pakistan.

Is the squad set in stone yet?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Looking forward to it, some good individual performances against Pakistan.

Is the squad set in stone yet?
    Yes - i believe this is the final, final squad. We'll see the other teams submit theirs in the coming days.

Edit to reply to Andy - you are correct about injury, but it applies to a tournament ending injury. For niggles and such say Rashid or Ali are likely only to miss a game or two, then we need Dawson in the squad.
    Last edited by crazyp; 21st May 2019 at 12:57.

The new kit for the world cup is a little disappointing, I get that it has nods back to historic kits, but the all one colour look isn't flattering and looks a lot like pajamas! I've really liked the recent set-up of dark blue trousers and the red shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    The new kit for the world cup is a little disappointing, I get that it has nods back to historic kits, but the all one colour look isn't flattering and looks a lot like pajamas! I've really liked the recent set-up of dark blue trousers and the red shirts.
    Agreed on both counts, although why both teams can't just wear white is beyond me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Agreed on both counts, although why both teams can't just wear white is beyond me.
    The ball is white....

The ball is white....
    Ah, good point.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Got my tickets sorted for the England v Pakistan game at Trent Bridge. Was also trying to get my son a child ticket, but the official site is such a PITA to use. So difficult to get seats together at this stage.

Anyway problem partly solved as he has exams that week so it will be a day out with just the lads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Woke up this morning feeling like I did as child on Christmas morning.

I suspect my productivity will drop over the next few weeks, I'll need to remind myself that I don't have to listen to every minute of every match.

My gut feeling, usually utterly inaccurate when it comes to sporting results, is that India won't make it to the knock out stages.

Whatever the result it should be an exciting few weeks.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Last edited by Wimm; 30th May 2019 at 10:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Woke up this morning feeling like a I did as child on Christmas morning.

I suspect my productivity will drop over the next few weeks, I'll need to remind myself that I don't have to listen to every minute of every match.

My gut feeling, usually utterly inaccurate when it comes to sporting results, is that India won't make it to the knock out stages.

Whatever the result it should an exciting few weeks.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    just a shame it’s on Sky and not many people will be actually able to seethe damn thing. Including myself. So radio it is.

Sadly no tickets for myself, too disorganised. I’ll have to maybe get lucky with last minute stuff, but that is unlikely I reckon.

Master
    just a shame it’s on Sky and not many people will be actually able to seethe damn thing. Including myself. So radio it is.

Sadly no tickets for myself, too disorganised. I’ll have to maybe get lucky with last minute stuff, but that is unlikely I reckon.
    Yes, not having it free to air does seem to go against the mantra of increasing the sports fan base. I've never been a fan of Sky but was vaguely tempted to get sky just for this but not worth it for the number of matches I could have watched. Probably cheaper going down the pub and watching it.

The radio commentary is usually better than that on the TV. I remember as a child my parents would have the TV on but with. The sound down and TMS on the radio.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Is it worth having a separate CWC'19 thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Is it worth having a separate CWC'19 thread?
    Sure, go ahead and make one - we got lots of games to comment on. We'll pick this up for the Ashes!

More good news for England fans:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48471452

More good news for England fans:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48471452
    Good to see you back!

Good to see you back!
    Thank you, you're too kind. I'm unable to spend too much time on frivolous stuff like internet forums at the moment, as real life has been getting in the way recently.

That, and the World Cup, of course.

Thank you, you're too kind. I'm unable to spend too much time on frivolous stuff like internet forums at the moment, as real life has been getting in the way recently.

That, and the World Cup, of course.
    Separate thread in hand for the WC - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...World-Cup-2019

Do have any tickets to any matches?

Separate thread in hand for the WC - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...World-Cup-2019

Do have any tickets to any matches?
    Yes, I saw the World Cup thread. We made a good start yesterday, especially after losing Bairstow to the second ball of the match. My son tried to get us tickets to the matches at what is temporarily called the Hampshire Bowl, but they were sold out, so I'll have to settle for Sky or TMS.

From the BBC sports pages
    Smith and Warner were given a hostile reception at the Hampshire Bowl, with both booed at the start of their innings and after being dismissed, while former captain Smith was also booed after making 50 and again when reaching a fine century.

Sections of the crowd chanted "cheat" at both players and fans wore costumes referencing sandpaper.

Smith and Warner, along with Cameron Bancroft, were found to have played a role in using sandpaper to tamper with the ball against South Africa in March 2018.

"After the experience of Hampshire, we have a pretty good idea what to expect - we've talked about it a lot and we can put strategies in place," said Langer.

"That said, when it happens it doesn't make it any easier. They are human beings, that's the truth - and that's what I find the hardest.

"I'm a dad and a lot of the time the kids see it. You feel for them personally and they are going to have to have thick skins.

"But I'd be disappointed by any player being booed at any cricket ground, regardless of what country they play for. It's never a good look when that happens."
    No mention of them cheating though, that’s why they get booed, and how does cheating set an example?
    I’ll be giving them what they are due while I’m watching them at lords.

Right, enough of the white ball malarky back to some proper 5 day Test cricket....except it's not quite 5, but 4 days. And shock and horror we have names and numbers on the back of the shirts. Blasphemy

Before I get onto the Champs (I'm calling all England teams Champs until the next World Cup ) - a quick word on the Kangaroos. They've been smart in their warm up - they're having a fascinating warm up against.....Australia. That's right, there's enough of them over for them to play against each other. The good news? They're both crap batting units - 105 all out playing 96/7. Oops.

Onto the Champs - I hope Ireland prove some decent competition. With the glorious sunshine and no Sir Jimmy in the line up, they might just do so if they keep some discipline. As I type, England have won the toss and will bat - we need some good batting time to switch back into Test mode.

A good opportunity for some of the players, with a lot rested after becoming Champs. We have 2 spinners in the line-up - Root thinks it will be dry underneath. The quicks, we're sorely lacking decent backups with Broad and Sir Jimmy now in a form of decline and 5 quick Tests coming up means it is likely we need to utilise squad depth.

Right time to settle in!

Master
    Thanks for the reminder. I've been on a bit of cricket detox since the madness of the six or so weeks of the World Cup. A nice gentle test will be perfect to ease back in to it.

Oh, there goes Roy. Perhaps not so gentle afterall.

Tapatapatapatapatalk