closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 201 to 248 of 248

Thread: The England Cricket thread 2019

  1. #201
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    London & Kent
    Posts
    685
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post

    Labuschagne has been a good replacement for Smith
    He has, though it helps when you have three lives every innings.

    What about Butler for captain? I don’t like bowlers leading the team. When was the last time we had a successful bowler-captain? Perhaps I’ve forgotten one but things went badly for Botham, later Flintoff.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #202
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    464
    I have been quite drawn to the idea of having a specialist captain in the squad. Helpful to have them score a few runs or take a couple of wickets if needed but surely worth their spot if they can make the correct tactical decisions at the right time?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    When was the last time we had a successful bowler-captain? Perhaps I’ve forgotten one but things went badly for Botham, later Flintoff.
    Not sure having batting captains has been an overwhelmingly successful plan either.


    Tapatapatapatapatalk

  3. #203
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,427
    just read on BBC sport that Denly says there is "belief" that England can complete the run chase and win

    I hope he is correct and that they don't just collapse this morning

    Good luck to them

  4. #204
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    409
    Just under 150 needed with plenty of wickets...... Surely England have to show a pair now!!!!!

    England need a gooch and gatting......... Bore the hell out of the ausis.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  5. #205
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,233
    Still expecting the Aussies to get the job done.... But England definitely showed some balls today. Test cricket at its tense best!

  6. #206
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Amersham, Bucks
    Posts
    466
    Stokes is having a fantastic summer. Showing great character.

  7. #207
    Craftsman halfpasttwothirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Deep North
    Posts
    665
    Nice Gary...

  8. #208
    Craftsman halfpasttwothirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Deep North
    Posts
    665
    Arise Sir Ben Stokes

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Arise Sir Ben Stokes
    Just said exactly this to my mate!!!

    What a warrior

  10. #210
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    12,615
    Holy mother of god!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  11. #211


    What’s that Skippy?

  12. #212
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    539
    Insane!!

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  13. #213
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,233
    Indeed arise Sir Ben! What a man.

  14. #214
    Grand Master mart broad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    10,364
    Blog Entries
    4
    O M G what more to say
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

  15. #215
    Master woodacre1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    1,213
    That middle to lower order should look at stokes and leach and learn. It’s not about always flashing the bat. Dig in and fill one one!

    Stokes a legend! Leach sir I bow to you well played!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #216
    I go for the day to hike the seven sisters thinking better enjoy the sun than sit indoors and watch cricket. And this happens????

    Follower with poor reception on bbc text. Can’t wait to go home and watch the proper highlights. Unbelievable!

  17. #217
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,634
    Wow, just wow. Hopefully a lot a humble pie will be gobbled up tonight. Mostly by Micheal Vaughan - again.

    My congratulations to both teams for making this an Epic, never to be forgotten Test Match. This one is right up there with a Beefy's Ashes matches.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  18. #218
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,634
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post


    What’s that Skippy?
    most excellent

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  19. #219
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Wow, just wow. Hopefully a lot a humble pie will be gobbled up tonight. Mostly by Micheal Vaughan - again.

    My congratulations to both teams for making this an Epic, never to be forgotten Test Match. This one is right up there with a Beefy's Ashes matches.
    I doubt there's a cricket fan in England who shouldn't be eating humble pie tonight. I know I'd written them off, I think most people had.

  20. #220
    Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,953
    Unbelievable. In Thailand so unable to watch live and was following it on the cricinfo app. When Stokes went postal and started smashing sixes I was awaiting the inevitable wicket but nope, all the way through to victory. Amazing

  21. #221
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,634
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    I doubt there's a cricket fan in England who shouldn't be eating humble pie tonight. I know I'd written them off, I think most people had.

    Not me , I gave them a "tiny chance of winning" - in "the reasons to be cheerful thread".

    It's always good to remain a little positive, even if history is against you.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  22. #222
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Solihull
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Not me , I gave them a "tiny chance of winning" - in "the reasons to be cheerful thread".

    It's always good to remain a little positive, even if history is against you.
    Full respect to you then, it must feel especially good to be right this time.

  23. #223
    England have some momentum now. A first innings of 67 was inexcusable, but they showed enough determination to turn things around, and get the job done.

    On occasions like this, you need somebody out there with a bit of mongrel about them. And the skill and commitment to get the job done, with an "over my dead body" attitude.

    Ben Stokes is our mongrel. He's an angry ginger mongrel. And he's awesome!

    Australia might have been without the services of the cheating Smith for this match, but he'll be back at Old Trafford. Bancroft has already been dropped and the odious Warner is just about averaging double figures for this series so there's some justice.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

  24. #224
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,427
    An amazing performance by Ben Stokes - must be one of the best in modern history

    Obviously England won the match because of his performance - but in the last few overs Australia showed how nerves, (one dropped catch and a missed run out), and pressure, can lose them the game - and how you always need some luck on your side in situations like this, (the lbw that was not given by the Umpire when the Aussies had no reviews left, again in the last couple of overs).

    All in all a true historic performance by Stokes and great to watch

  25. #225
    Still in shock! Can't wait to see the highlights this evening. Lost for words about Ben Stokes, and after his amazing world cup too. Just brilliant for him. Even the wife and kids were interested in the cricket this afternoon. Fabulous!

  26. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Indeed arise Sir Ben! What a man.
    “England cricketer Ben Stokes mocked two gay men and flicked a cigarette butt at one of them before brawling with two other men, a court has heard.”

    Seems a bit of a knob to me, fair enough he’s quite good at hitting a ball with a bat, and we’ve had worse people made a ‘Sir’ so why not.

  27. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    “England cricketer Ben Stokes mocked two gay men and flicked a cigarette butt at one of them before brawling with two other men, a court has heard.”

    Seems a bit of a knob to me, fair enough he’s quite good at hitting a ball with a bat, and we’ve had worse people made a ‘Sir’ so why not.
    I bet your a joy at a party

  28. #228
    Master andyjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brizzle-way...
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    “England cricketer Ben Stokes mocked two gay men and flicked a cigarette butt at one of them before brawling with two other men, a court has heard.”

    Seems a bit of a knob to me, fair enough he’s quite good at hitting a ball with a bat, and we’ve had worse people made a ‘Sir’ so why not.
    And, let’s not forget he was found not guilty.

    I almost took out Sky Cricket at the start of this season, but didn’t think it would be worth it. Wish I had now, but nothing will live up to today’s finish... Going to keep my cash now!

  29. #229
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjay View Post
    And, let’s not forget he was found not guilty.

    I almost took out Sky Cricket at the start of this season, but didn’t think it would be worth it. Wish I had now, but nothing will live up to today’s finish... Going to keep my cash now!
    Absolutely, not guilty. But some here seem to know better. Sad state of affairs.

    Congrats to the England team and especially to Ben Stokes. An amazing sporting achievement.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  30. #230
    Master Ric356II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    1,999

    Absolutely incredible!
    Incredible test match and an incredible innings, take a bow Ben Stokes.
    Cricket is so boring
    Last edited by Ric356II; 25th August 2019 at 19:00.

  31. #231
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    4,016
    Brilliant win for England, and a really up and down test match, I don’t think I’ve ever felt near despair and absolute joy in such a timeframe!

    I do worry that it will paper over the cracks somewhat, if we had a couple of decent openers imagine how much better the team would be.

    But anyway, well done the Aussies too for making it a great game.

  32. #232
    Master ~dadam02~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,934
    Blog Entries
    14
    Not often you see the Aussies bottle it, but Lyon missing that run out and the dropped catch an over or so earlier. The stars were perfectly aligned today, and Stokes is the man for the occasion and boy did he deliver. Tense, thrilling, emotional, it had every thing. Test cricket is the pinnacle of the sport and the powers that be need to do all they can to preserve that.

  33. #233
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    1,790
    Well that has to be the greatest test innings I've ever seen in my 30 odd years of watching cricket (tbf not so much the last 15 years)...

    If England win the Ashes, then Ben Stokes will surely be in with a chance of SPOTY...

  34. #234
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    “England cricketer Ben Stokes mocked two gay men and flicked a cigarette butt at one of them before brawling with two other men, a court has heard.”

    Seems a bit of a knob to me, fair enough he’s quite good at hitting a ball with a bat, and we’ve had worse people made a ‘Sir’ so why not.
    You should read what the 2 gay men said in support of Stokes before making rash judgements.

    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-to-face-trial

  35. #235
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    3,261
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Wow, just wow. Hopefully a lot a humble pie will be gobbled up tonight. Mostly by Micheal Vaughan - again.

    My congratulations to both teams for making this an Epic, never to be forgotten Test Match. This one is right up there with a Beefy's Ashes matches.
    Andy dead right

    Beefy’s Ashes was the only cricket my wife watched until today. What a match come on you lions

  36. #236
    Yep you’re right he’s a diamond geezer. Let’s get him to the top of the New Years honours list and perhaps he could do his Harvey Price impersonation for the Queen, one bets she’d love that.

    And awright101, you bet right. I’m am a joy at a party, I’ve just never filmed myself on snap chat taking the piss out of a disabled kid, or being caught on camera punching someone outside one.

  37. #237
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,634
    Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Full respect to you then, it must feel especially good to be right this time.

    Normally i am wrong (last weekend against Wales was a prime example) but I always "hope". It cost nothing to have a positive outlook on life afteral.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  38. #238
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,634
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Yep you’re right he’s a diamond geezer. Let’s get him to the top of the New Years honours list and perhaps he could do his Harvey Price impersonation for the Queen, one bets she’d love that.

    And awright101, you bet right. I’m am a joy at a party, I’ve just never filmed myself on snap chat taking the piss out of a disabled kid, or being caught on camera punching someone outside one.

    A man who does not makes mistakes, is a man who makes nothing. Or so the saying goes.

    Regarding his trial, he was found not guilty, but seriously, just how many people have been involved in a bit of fisty cuffs outside a pub.

    No excuse for the mimicking Harvey Price, but he did make a public apology for it.

    But these things happened a few years ago and hopefully he has matured as his fame has increased. People want heros and his exploits in winning the World Cup, and today, gives him hero status. Let's just hope he doesn't bollock it up.

    People don't have to like him, he is a tattooed ginger after all, but they should at least recognise and appreciate his abilities, his passion and his commitment to his team.

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  39. #239
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Yep you’re right he’s a diamond geezer. Let’s get him to the top of the New Years honours list and perhaps he could do his Harvey Price impersonation for the Queen, one bets she’d love that.

    And awright101, you bet right. I’m am a joy at a party, I’ve just never filmed myself on snap chat taking the piss out of a disabled kid, or being caught on camera punching someone outside one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    A man who does not makes mistakes, is a man who makes nothing. Or so the saying goes.

    Regarding his trial, he was found not guilty, but seriously, just how many people have been involved in a bit of fisty cuffs outside a pub.

    No excuse for the mimicking Harvey Price, but he did make a public apology for it.

    But these things happened a few years ago and hopefully he has matured as his fame has increased. People want heros and his exploits in winning the World Cup, and today, gives him hero status. Let's just hope he doesn't bollock it up.

    People don't have to like him, he is a tattooed ginger after all, but they should at least recognise and appreciate his abilities, his passion and his commitment to his team.
    Chris - I don't see why you even bothered? The issues around Stokes have been handled - if you still have a problem with him, go start a thread in the Pit instead of spoiling the enjoyment of the sport here. Andy is also right - lesson learnt and he could inspire an entire generation. That is something.

  40. #240
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    409
    Hand up..........I gave England zero chance after their first innings capitulation. Congratulations are in order for the fight back.

    It has to be one of the best test matches on English soil for sure.

    I really hope England can build on from this test match to win the series. On paper England have a far better team than the ausis which makes the victory slightly less emphatic. Let's not forget ausis best man wasn't even playing.

    Btw........ Best ashes of all time for me has to be 2005. The calibre of players England were up against made the victory even sweeter.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  41. #241
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    1,260
    Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    Nice Gary...
    What is that all about - great ball Gazza after every ball Nathan Lyons bowls. Clearly trying to irritate the batsman but why Gazza?

  42. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    What is that all about - great ball Gazza after every ball Nathan Lyons bowls. Clearly trying to irritate the batsman but why Gazza?
    If I remember rightly Gary Lyon is / was a big deal in Aussie Rules Football.

    I was at Trent Bridge yesterday with 13,700 others watching the Notts v Yorkshire T20. Clearly a good proportion of us had either TMS in the ear or were frantically refreshing their web pages. I'd been listening to TMS from just after 11, but as whispers went around the crowd that were were getting close and about 10,000 all tried to access the internet on their phones at the same time the local masts were overwhelmed and very few could find anything out. I resorted to phoning my wife, who had been watching from home (a recent -World Cup - convert to cricket so not entirely aware of the intricacies of the game) describing the last 12 runs or so for me and about six blokes sat around us. She did her best, but wasn't great at explaining reviews, LBW shouts and the like.
    The roar that went up while one of the Yorkshire bowlers was in his run up told us all that they'd done it - incredible moment of shared cricket excitement and release for a completely different game to the one we were supposed to be watching. Even the teams joined in and were clapping too, must've been distracting for them.

    To top it all Notts won it on the last ball and then we hung around afterwards and my 7 year old got his Outlaws shirt signed by the whole team and had a photo with Hales and a few others.
    Great day of cricket in the sun - enjoyed the ashes highlights when we got home, amazing work from Stokes.

  43. #243
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    If I remember rightly Gary Lyon is / was a big deal in Aussie Rules Football.

    I was at Trent Bridge yesterday with 13,700 others watching the Notts v Yorkshire T20. Clearly a good proportion of us had either TMS in the ear or were frantically refreshing their web pages. I'd been listening to TMS from just after 11, but as whispers went around the crowd that were were getting close and about 10,000 all tried to access the internet on their phones at the same time the local masts were overwhelmed and very few could find anything out. I resorted to phoning my wife, who had been watching from home (a recent -World Cup - convert to cricket so not entirely aware of the intricacies of the game) describing the last 12 runs or so for me and about six blokes sat around us. She did her best, but wasn't great at explaining reviews, LBW shouts and the like.
    The roar that went up while one of the Yorkshire bowlers was in his run up told us all that they'd done it - incredible moment of shared cricket excitement and release for a completely different game to the one we were supposed to be watching. Even the teams joined in and were clapping too, must've been distracting for them.

    To top it all Notts won it on the last ball and then we hung around afterwards and my 7 year old got his Outlaws shirt signed by the whole team and had a photo with Hales and a few others.
    Great day of cricket in the sun - enjoyed the ashes highlights when we got home, amazing work from Stokes.

    Nice ^^^^^^

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  44. #244
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    3,261
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    If I remember rightly Gary Lyon is / was a big deal in Aussie Rules Football.

    I was at Trent Bridge yesterday with 13,700 others watching the Notts v Yorkshire T20. Clearly a good proportion of us had either TMS in the ear or were frantically refreshing their web pages. I'd been listening to TMS from just after 11, but as whispers went around the crowd that were were getting close and about 10,000 all tried to access the internet on their phones at the same time the local masts were overwhelmed and very few could find anything out. I resorted to phoning my wife, who had been watching from home (a recent -World Cup - convert to cricket so not entirely aware of the intricacies of the game) describing the last 12 runs or so for me and about six blokes sat around us. She did her best, but wasn't great at explaining reviews, LBW shouts and the like.
    The roar that went up while one of the Yorkshire bowlers was in his run up told us all that they'd done it - incredible moment of shared cricket excitement and release for a completely different game to the one we were supposed to be watching. Even the teams joined in and were clapping too, must've been distracting for them.

    To top it all Notts won it on the last ball and then we hung around afterwards and my 7 year old got his Outlaws shirt signed by the whole team and had a photo with Hales and a few others.
    Great day of cricket in the sun - enjoyed the ashes highlights when we got home, amazing work from Stokes.
    Buy your wife a pint for great work

  45. #245
    Master Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Teesside/Kazakhstan
    Posts
    2,000
    I had the great privilege to have been at Headingley last Sunday. What a day.

    We were debating whether to cancel the hotel at midday on Saturday due to a cancelled train and the poor chances of any cricket the next day. Having decided to risk it we went through the process of being grateful for any cricket whatsoever to seeing one of the greatest days of cricket ever.

    I'm still in shock and well up a bit when I think about it. I hope Stokes is coping better and that he's ready for next week.
    Last edited by Tony; 1st September 2019 at 18:03.

  46. #246
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    464
    You made the right choice there Tony, it was stressful enough following on the radio. Much more intense when you are there.

    Back on the emotional roller-coaster tomorrow. Not sure I can manage another five days like the last five.

    Glad to see Woakes has been replaced. He hasn't been up to scratch in the last couple of games. Was a little surprised that they went with Overton, I hoped to see Sam Curran given a go. Good for a few runs and gives the attack a left handed option. Still, Overton's first test wicket was Smith so perhaps the selectors are pulling on that straw.

    Tapatapatapatapatalk
    Last edited by Wimm; 3rd September 2019 at 15:22.

  47. #247
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    539
    This man Smith is something else. What an innings to take the game away from us.

  48. #248
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    2,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    This man Smith is something else. What an innings to take the game away from us.
    I agree - an amazing sportsman and seems a "nice guy" even with the shadow of ball tampering hanging over him - difficult to know "why" that happened.

    Even though, .......... I feel it's time for the England supporters to stop boo-ing him and appreciate what he is achieving

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •